Better player? - Davydenko or Ferrer - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Who is the better player: Davydenko or Ferrer?

Kolya 94 70.15%
Pics 34 25.37%
Draw 6 4.48%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-05-2012, 11:27 AM   #31
country flag Tag

Tag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Better player? - Davydenko or Ferrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Hmm tough one.

3 M1000 > Paris Tankers

WTF > No WTF

#3 > #4

Talent > No talent

Tough call here
you must spread reputation around etc...

anyway, it's davydenko, and it's clear cut
Tag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #32
country flag Kolya

Kolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm View Post
So Kolya, you just wanted a bunch of people to come here and tell you many times how much better Kolya is?
I guess...

I really got no one to follow on tour now which is sad.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #33
country flag misty1
Banned!

misty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond repute

it davy and its not even close. The talent, the accomplishments

and a win loss record in finals thats one of the best of any players around. Pretty good when you consider who he's faced to get some of the titles he's collected

david could only dream of beating djokovic, federer or nadal in the final of an event of any kind
misty1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #34
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty1 View Post
it davy and its not even close. The talent, the accomplishments

and a win loss record in finals thats one of the best of any players around. Pretty good when you consider who he's faced to get some of the titles he's collected

david could only dream of beating djokovic, federer or nadal in the final of an event of any kind
Oh the irony. When I say this in other comparisons Ferrer apologists (you included) call me out on it.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:14 PM   #35
country flag misty1
Banned!

misty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Oh the irony. When I say this in other comparisons Ferrer apologists (you included) call me out on it.
yeah but you are a relentless ferrer hater who uses every oppertunity to put him down

im not trying to do that here, im just stating that in a coomparison between the 2 davy comes out on top and that he's proven he can handle those guys in title situations better than david can. To me it porves davy isnt imtimdated at the thought of having to beat them for a title while david is

i still dont subscribe to any of the crap you've spouted about david
misty1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #36
country flag arm

arm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
I guess...

I really got no one to follow on tour now which is sad.
May I suggest Novak Djokovic?

Or if you want a lower ranked player, young blood, who is just starting to play Futures now, I got one name for you as well
arm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #37
country flag stebs

stebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That's for a few reasons. Firstly, Ferrer is often compared with Berdych and Tsonga, in this case, none of these guys have beaten a top 4 in a major final. You still contend that the 'big hitters' trouble the top guys more, which statistics and factual evidence DO NOT support. Secondly, you frequently claim that Ferrer cannot challenge these players AT ALL, which is absurd, false, and impossible to believe unless you purposefully insulate yourself from reality. Further, many discussions are about THIS YEAR, in which Tsonga and Del Potro beat the top four in grand slams precisely ZERO times. Ferrer and Berdych each got one victory (Murray RG and Federer USO). So, as of right now, the evidence doesn't support the notion that Ferrer is no threat to the top guys comparatively to the other regular members of the 5-8 ranking positions.

I don't know how the balance lies between you actually believing the nonsense you right and some kind of pleasure you get from playing devil's advocate in the same argument over and over again (which seems to me an extraordinarily dull way to spend ones time). Anyway, the fact is, for anybody seriously analysing tennis, your bias against Ferrer goes so far against evidence such as to make discussion with you entirely pointless. It's exactly the same as trying to discuss strengths and weaknesses of the top guys with their more extreme fans (or tards as they're often called). There is no irony here, you are a joke when discussing Ferrer, which is a shame, since I've seen you write some interesting analyses of other features of the tennis world. It's no surprise your campaign of hatred has provoked a response, much of which has come from those who aren't even fans of David Ferrer (such as myself), but simply find false claims distasteful.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:58 PM   #38
country flag BackhandDTL

BackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirata. View Post
Ferrer has had more haters in the past 7 or 8 months than in his entire career and all of them posting here at grand old MTF.

Astounding.
This has what to do with any of the legitimate arguments posted in this thread?
BackhandDTL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #39
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen a lot of unnecessary threads, and this one ranks up there with the most amusing of them.

Davydenko is more successful and more talented.

He had bags more power, had excellent footwork during his prime. One of the most agile players tennis has ever seen.

Results completely trump David Ferrer. It's not even worth stating. And all of this whilst only really becoming a force in his mid twenties and declining much due to injury aged 28.
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #40
country flag stebs

stebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
I've seen a lot of unnecessary threads, and this one ranks up there with the most amusing of them.
True, I mean, it's not as if anybody has been claiming Ferrer is anything he's not (better than Davydenko for example). He is what he is, current world #5 (and clearly deservedly so), but not the best #5 ever or anything. These two aren't really close enough in achievements to bother comparing, clearly Davydenko is the more accomplished player.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #41
country flag BackhandDTL

BackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond repute

Davy's ball-striking abilities were just phenomenal. He could take shots on-the-rise as well as anybody, generating great angles and taking so much time away from his opponents. His footspeed, all the while, kept him firmly planted on top of the baseline more often than not; agile indeed.

Not one for great serves or netplay, but he was a baseline machine with an oustanding return.

Ferrer over the past couple of years has attempted a similar game by stepping in the court more and going after the ball with his forehand, but it's a lot less polished.
BackhandDTL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #42
country flag Fujee

Fujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond repute

Davy is so much more talented than Ferrer, but Ferrer has a much better mental game.
Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform — and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled.

David Foster Wallace
Fujee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #43
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty close actually. I would say Davydenko on most surfaces except grass.
Jimnik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #44
country flag stebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujee View Post
Davy is so much more talented than Ferrer, but Ferrer has a much better mental game.
What makes you say Ferrer has a better mental game? Davydenko has a history of being erratic on the big stage, some very good victories (his amazing record in finals) with some disappointing defeats (losing in three to Federer, RG 2007 comes to mind). Ferrer has been able to have mental domination over the weaker players but he has also lost big opportunities (against Nadal this year for example). IMO, Davydenko just plays an extremely inconsistent game, when he goes off the boil, he can lose to a lot of players. When he plays well though, he has usually been able to carry that form through to get victories.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:42 PM   #45
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

If Ferrer becomes a dangerous opponent for Fed, Nole, and Rafa, and a few top level tournaments, then he's on the level of Davydenko. But not before that.

Stan Wawrinka
2014 Australian Open Champion | 2014 Monte Carlo Masters Champion

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
2008 Paris Masters Champion | 2014 Toronto Masters Champion
August is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote