Rank the 'clutch gene' of the top 10 - Page 15 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #211
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rank the 'clutch gene' of the top 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOATERER View Post
So, it's official... the 0.14 proves Rafa is soooo much more "clutch" than Roger

Let's review these statistics, whatever they are, in 5 years when Rafa is at Roger's age now

In the meantime, "clutch" means little unless you end up winning the GS when it's all said and done, can't complain about Roger's haul there
You misunderstood the 'overall' stat. I think that's just overall match winning percentage.

And for the MP lovers above you, there's more to being clutch than a handful of match point saved matches

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #212
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abel View Post
Radalek - do you have a breakdown of who they've been against?
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=89544

All credit to Voo as usual

Old 04-04-2013, 04:33 PM   #213
country flag StevieMardenboro

StevieMardenboro has a reputation beyond reputeStevieMardenboro has a reputation beyond reputeStevieMardenboro has a reputation beyond reputeStevieMardenboro has a reputation beyond reputeStevieMardenboro has a reputation beyond reputeStevieMardenboro has a reputation beyond reputeStevieMardenboro has a reputation beyond reputeStevieMardenboro has a reputation beyond reputeStevieMardenboro has a reputation beyond reputeStevieMardenboro has a reputation beyond reputeStevieMardenboro has a reputation beyond repute

The idea of a clutch gene is overrated and I think actually does a disservice to the talent of the likes of Nadal and Djokovic.
If you are the best player in the world you have the confidence that your game is going to get it done and you play consistently at that level.
If you know that playing your best isn't going to win the match it is harder to stay mentally focused and even if you did the casual tennis fan wouldn't notice because you just lost.
StevieMardenboro is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #214
country flag Topspindoctor

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Nadal is least clutch out of top 10. If he had clutchness, he would win at least 18 slams by now with the talent he has. Only chokes prevented him from dominating in the way he should have when not injured.

True legends of the game

Nadal = GOAT

2004-2007 = Weakest era in tennis
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:44 PM   #215
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

Nadal is easily the most clutch, the only times he isn't clutch he is injured so therefore unfairly hindered

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #216
country flag Timot

Timot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieMardenboro View Post
The idea of a clutch gene is overrated and I think actually does a disservice to the talent of the likes of Nadal and Djokovic.
If you are the best player in the world you have the confidence that your game is going to get it done and you play consistently at that level.
If you know that playing your best isn't going to win the match it is harder to stay mentally focused and even if you did the casual tennis fan wouldn't notice because you just lost.
But is in some matches you don't "play consistently at that level" but suddenly start playing best in crucial moments. That's clutch gene. Remember Djokovic vs Wawrinka at last AO. Nole won it mainly due to his superior mental skills at the crucial stage, even though he was definitely below his level (esp. in first 2 sets) and Stan was on fire.

Top players are generally mentally tough but Nole is still clearly above the rest of the top.
Timot is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #217
country flag Ibracadabra

Ibracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond repute

Oh it has got to be roger federer, his break point conversion rate is just superb.

David Nalbandian
Ibracadabra is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #218
country flag Kowchi

Kowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond repute

1. Djokovic 1. Nadal (Both never give up, unless they are tanking.)
3. Murray (Dude doesn't give up)
4. Del Po

5. Ferrer

6. Fed (Typically just wins or loses. I wouldn't call him clutch.

7. Berdych

8.Tipsaveric
9. Tsonga

10. Gasquet (I mean cmon...)

Why? Because I love tennis plain and simple

* Slams Do Not Exist!

Lenders: One thing people need to understand about this so-called weak era is that it was 'weak' for Federer on HC and grass and for Nadal on clay (Federer on clay too Nadal apart) because they were so much better than anyone else, for any outsider the era couldn't possibly be any harder, during 5+ years you had to either beat the best grass/HC player ever or the best clay player ever in every single Slam just to get 1 Slam title.
Kowchi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:58 PM   #219
country flag Abel

Abel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond repute

Tsonga's too erratic to really quantify in this way imo. Plenty of times he's brought his best during big points but he's just inconsistent in every way.
Abel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:36 PM   #220
country flag stewietennis

stewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timot View Post
But is in some matches you don't "play consistently at that level" but suddenly start playing best in crucial moments. That's clutch gene. Remember Djokovic vs Wawrinka at last AO. Nole won it mainly due to his superior mental skills at the crucial stage, even though he was definitely below his level (esp. in first 2 sets) and Stan was on fire.
I'd have to disagree with this. I believe Novak won it mainly due to his tennis skills and athleticism which was always superior to Wawrinka's. Novak's mental game didn't go walkabout during that match, it was Stan's redlining his game and finding his range that pushed Novak to the limit. I believe the mental aspect is being overrated in matches like the aforementioned. You can have the best mental game but if your actual skills limit your ability to execute, or if the other guy is just plain better, it's all for naught. Novak won mainly because his skills are greater than Wawrinka's.
stewietennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:28 AM   #221
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abel View Post
Tsonga's too erratic to really quantify in this way imo. Plenty of times he's brought his best during big points but he's just inconsistent in every way.
Yup, Tsonga is actually pretty clutch, especially on serve - he has a bit of serving huge under pressure. I actually find him far less erratic on big points than he is in general - for instance he saved a championship point in Marseille vs Berdych with a backhand down the line off balance, a shot he rarely ever manages to pull off even from better positions. He goes for it on big points just like every other points, and just like in every other point sometimes it works, others it doesn't.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:33 AM   #222
country flag BroTree123

BroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond repute

He's clutch when he's screwed in a match that he can still hang on to (eg. down a set or two, but still on serve in the subsequent set) - but the times he's converted these clutch moments into wins, is rare. And when he's getting outplayed, he just gives up completely.
No words can describe me.
Without me, it would be just aweso.
No shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
Never held a racquet in my life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
I've played the game for close to 10 years. This should come as no surprise to many.

Banned Users
BroTree123 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:04 AM   #223
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute

Nadal and Djokovic are different under pressure. Nadal plays his usual game, while Djokovic tries to be more aggressive which is frequently good due to his opponent's tightness but can also produce to UEs. Djokovic plays rallies on big points much better, but they are close in my mind because Nadal is a pretty clutch server while Djokovic is not and double faults fairly often trying to go big on 2nd serves. Still, slight edge to Djokovic. del Potro is up there too, very clutch, his record in close matches may not be as good due to awful endurance. There are 4 severe chokers in top 10 at present with Berdych, Ferrer, Tipsy, and Gasquet (though the last has been better lately)

Robredo, Matosevic, Dolgopolov, Janowicz, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Brown, Zeballos, Herbert, Istomin, Kohlschreiber, Tursunov, Robert, Monaco, Djokovic, Gonzalez
emotion is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:20 AM   #224
country flag NadalPhan

NadalPhan has a reputation beyond reputeNadalPhan has a reputation beyond reputeNadalPhan has a reputation beyond reputeNadalPhan has a reputation beyond reputeNadalPhan has a reputation beyond reputeNadalPhan has a reputation beyond reputeNadalPhan has a reputation beyond reputeNadalPhan has a reputation beyond reputeNadalPhan has a reputation beyond reputeNadalPhan has a reputation beyond reputeNadalPhan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Soup View Post
Sorry but I don't think Nadal is that tough considering his high-percentage game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGy0x3KKc6c
NadalPhan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:18 AM   #225
country flag GSMnadal

Quote:
Originally Posted by djokovicgonzalez View Post
Nadal and Djokovic are different under pressure. Nadal plays his usual game, while Djokovic tries to be more aggressive which is frequently good due to his opponent's tightness but can also produce to UEs. Djokovic plays rallies on big points much better, but they are close in my mind because Nadal is a pretty clutch server while Djokovic is not and double faults fairly often trying to go big on 2nd serves. Still, slight edge to Djokovic. del Potro is up there too, very clutch, his record in close matches may not be as good due to awful endurance. There are 4 severe chokers in top 10 at present with Berdych, Ferrer, Tipsy, and Gasquet (though the last has been better lately)
A big misunderstanding that Nadal just plays his usual game. The reason he has been great on big points is because he mixes it up more. The serve down the T is something he often produces on break points. And he really ups the aggression usually, catching players off guard.