Harry Potter Thread - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-08-2012, 11:36 PM   #61
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Harry Potter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
De Botton is more of a non-fiction writer, and I've heard that 'Essays in Love' is not a natural piece of writing. Never had the urge to check it out, but if you say you're unimpressed, I probably won't bother.
What do you mean by 'natural' piece of writing? I'm only on page 30 or something so far though; maybe it'd get better.

Quote:
And yeah, you're correct, the Peter Rabbit (et al) are the works of Potter.

Fair enough if you don't call them literature, but then, is there any such thing children's literature if this is the case?
Children's books?
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
tripwires is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 11:42 PM   #62
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
What do you mean by 'natural' piece of writing? I'm only on page 30 or something so far though; maybe it'd get better.

Children's books?
A natural piece of writing fits one's style, and consequently is flows a bit more readily. I mean, an unnatural piece of writing isn't necessarily a poor piece of writing, but can be a bit broken up, and it's easier for the reader to disconnect with the content.

I'm sure it will get better. Most novels start slowly and build, even those of less fast-paced genres such as the one you're reading.

What's wrong with children's books? I'm still a child, or at least I consider myself a child. So I read novels for ages younger than me, for my age group and beyond my age group. It's irrelevant, though and doesn't influence my enjoyment and pleasure.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:50 PM   #63
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
A natural piece of writing fits one's style, and consequently is flows a bit more readily. I mean, an unnatural piece of writing isn't necessarily a poor piece of writing, but can be a bit broken up, and it's easier for the reader to disconnect with the content.

I'm sure it will get better. Most novels start slowly and build, even those of less fast-paced genres such as the one you're reading.

What's wrong with children's books? I'm still a child, or at least I consider myself a child. So I read novels for ages younger than me, for my age group and beyond my age group. It's irrelevant, though and doesn't influence my enjoyment and pleasure.
So Essays in Love wasn't written in his natural style? He mixes philosophical ruminations with narrative, which I guess was seen as inventive when the book came out. so far the characters' interactions don't feel organic; it feels like he's forcing the characters into the ideas that he wants to explore.

Well, I'm an old woman at 26, so I can't relate to children's books at all. In fact, I'm really poor with handling children because I can't relate to them and don't know how to talk to them at their level. But children's books are definitely necessary; if I ever have kids, I'd make them read a ton of books before I give them access to the computer/TV.

And yes, you are still a child.
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
Old 11-09-2012, 12:01 AM   #64
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So Essays in Love wasn't written in his natural style? He mixes philosophical ruminations with narrative, which I guess was seen as inventive when the book came out. so far the characters' interactions don't feel organic; it feels like he's forcing the characters into the ideas that he wants to explore.

Well, I'm an old woman at 26, so I can't relate to children's books at all. In fact, I'm really poor with handling children because I can't relate to them and don't know how to talk to them at their level. But children's books are definitely necessary; if I ever have kids, I'd make them read a ton of books before I give them access to the computer/TV.

And yes, you are still a child.
Well I haven't read it. I'm just going by what I've heard from others and what I've come across. It sounds oddly fascinating, though. I like an author who experiments and tries to drag themes into a story that reflect their thoughts and feelings. As you point out, though, it can be a bit artificial if they're are solely the author's puppets.

There's one thing that's wrong with the second paragraph and that's labelling yourself 'old'. You're not so get real. I agree that reading is really important. I help younger children attempt to improve their skills, and it's really opened my eyes as to how few people truly appreciate it and it's wonders.

Thanks for your reassurance, I guess.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:38 AM   #65
country flag Hewitt =Legend

Hewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond repute

How the hell can any of you read books without pictures?

Ol' Rusty Hewitt - Keeping me moist since 1998.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Hewitt =Legend is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #66
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Wombat View Post
Just a kid? More like a kid who makes friends in a magical world while learning from some wise guy and trying to get free from his uncle's abuse while having romantic relationships and journeying all over England trying to fight off the greatest dark wizard of all time. Honestly, there's like 1000 other complex characters.

I honestly think Harry Potter will be remembered as a classic. It is written with a cleverness and wit that appeals to all ages, not just teens, and anyone can get absorbed into that world. I mean, just name one mentally sane person who doesn't want to go to Hogwarts. If it doesn't become a classic...well, it was better than fluff which are only remarkable because the author lived a long time ago.
OK, so clearly the story appealed to you, but you have to be utterly insane to think such writing style and such a world of complexity with life-like character development hasn't been done before with countless numbers of books.. I mean from what I have seen over the years, despite Harry Potter's popularity, Lord of the Rings for example gets more praise among the literature world. And for the most part, no reputable literature analysis list includes Harry Potter among the best novels. Again, I'm not saying JKR is a bad writer, not at all, nor am I saying the stories were bad themselves, because that certainly isn't the case, however, I am saying that what has been done with Harry Potter has been done many times before and her stories just happened to catch fire dramatically. They are like popular and good pop songs: very catchy, caught a big break and attention, many people may like it, but it isn't like there is truely something new going on when you compare it to other songs.

Perhaps you should broaden your book horizons a little bit and maybe read some classics?
Old 11-09-2012, 04:44 PM   #67
country flag Orka_n

Orka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't like reading gentle and pleasant books. If I wanted to be purely entertained and accidentally stumble upon a deep emotional journey, I'd watch a movie or a TV show. I'm reading something "light" now (or "lightish") and it's Alain de Botton's Essays in Love and I don't know, he's supposed to be a philosophical writer and the reviews of the book claim that his sentences are poetic, but I'm not impressed so far.

I think sophisticated writing is one of the most important criteria for a book to be a work of literature, especially modern literature. Did you mean the Peter Rabbit books? I don't really know much about them apart from the ubiquitous merchandise that they spawned but I'd say no.
The fact that you prefer heavier, more philosophical/intellectual books does not give you the right to redefine the word "literature". There's nothing more boring than elitism.
During Nadal vs Kyrgios:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed of Light View Post
If Rafa loses today, that's it. I'm done with tennis.
Orka_n is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:57 PM   #68
country flag tripwires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orka_n View Post
The fact that you prefer heavier, more philosophical/intellectual books does not give you the right to redefine the word "literature". There's nothing more boring than elitism.
"heavier, more philosophical/intellectual books" = elitist? Okay.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:31 PM   #69
country flag Topspindoctor

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Wombat View Post
“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is a curious thing, but perhaps those who are best suited to power are those who have never sought it. Those who have leadership thrust upon them, and take up the mantle because they must, and find to their own surprise that they wear it well.”

“After all to the well organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.”
Quotes by Albus Dumbledore, master of wisdom.

I don't know how you cannot consider this deep and emotional.
Holy shit. These quotes sound like they came from a Dungeons and Dragons rulebook to spice up the material for the reader in between complex rules. Pretty lame, corny and cliche. Rowling's success with what passes for "fantasy literature" is a prime example of how today's public will swallow up everything if it's "popular". Might as well dine at maccas and drink 4X gold every day since that's what average person prefers

Nadal - GOAT
Sergiy Stakhovsky - Great purger of evil and talented shotmaker
Berdych aka Twitter GOAT - Nose destroyer

2004-2007 = weakest tennis era
2011 = dark age of tennis

2008/2010/2013 = Greatest years of tennis.
Topspindoctor is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #70
country flag GOAT = Fed

GOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
maccas
strong usage of Aussie slang.
GOAT = Fed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:31 PM   #71
country flag tripwires

Quote:
Holy shit. These quotes sound like they came from a Dungeons and Dragons rulebook to spice up the material for the reader in between complex rules. Pretty lame, corny and cliche. Rowling's success with what passes for "fantasy literature" is a prime example of how today's public will swallow up everything if it's "popular". Might as well dine at maccas and drink 4X gold every day since that's what average person prefers
My thoughts exactly. I was just too polite to say it.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #72
country flag The Prince

You know you're into something good when the doc slags it off.

What is that pathetic game he plays called? Something like 'World of Minecraft'? But of course, that's a better use of time than reading 'Harry Potter'!
Old 11-09-2012, 10:44 PM   #73
country flag Topspindoctor

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You know you're into something good when the doc slags it off.

What is that pathetic game he plays called? Something like 'World of Minecraft'? But of course, that's a better use of time than reading 'Harry Potter'!
Lol!

I never pretended or claimed that WoW was something deep and intellectual. It's just a time waster and a way to socialize with friends/guildies. The fact that some people here think HP is some kind of literature masterpiece rather than a bad fiction book written for kids under 14 is hilarious.

Nadal - GOAT
Sergiy Stakhovsky - Great purger of evil and talented shotmaker
Berdych aka Twitter GOAT - Nose destroyer

2004-2007 = weakest tennis era
2011 = dark age of tennis

2008/2010/2013 = Greatest years of tennis.
Topspindoctor is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:54 PM   #74
country flag The Prince

Well I'm not claiming Harry Potter is deep or intellectual!

It's not a time waster, though. It's a great story, and I'd recommend it to any child as their first 'proper' novel. I think it's a great way to start off the reading cycle BUT that doesn't mean other age groups shouldn't be allowed to read it.

There's a large scope to find yourself 'lost' in this world with all the amazing characters. It's no 'Game of Thrones' in the characters department, but it shouldn't be underestimated. Then there are the great themes, the morals it teaches to people. There's a lot in there that one can certainly appreciate.

Obviously it's not for you.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:56 PM   #75
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Lol!

I never pretended or claimed that WoW was something deep and intellectual. It's just a time waster and a way to socialize with friends/guildies. The fact that some people here think HP is some kind of literature masterpiece rather than a bad fiction book written for kids under 14 is hilarious.
There are much more efficient and enjoyable ways to do this outside the home.