Is tennis the only sport where tacticians are hated? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-02-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
country flag out_grinder
Banned!

out_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is tennis the only sport where tacticians are hated?

Anytime you get a player who wins matches mainly with his brain rather than by bashing the ball as hard as he can, he is hated and called a pusher.

It got me thinking: does this happen in any other sport?

Do football (soccer for you Americans) fans moan about the players trying the construct plays and just wishing that the players would kick the ball...harder. Wherever they are on the pitch, who cares - just kick the football harder. That's fun to watch.

Do boxing fans complain when their favorite is ducking and weaving all over the place, being a strategic nightmare to fight against? Do they just want to see two people stand still, taking punches to the face, and punching the other guy harder in the face?

Do golf fans just want their guy to hit the ball harder - regardless of how effective it is? Drive the ball harder. Putt the ball harder.

What about basketball? Screw tactics - just throw the ball harder.

Tennis may well be the most tactically dumb sports ever - all the fans want to see is that fuzzy yellow ball hit harder and harder.
out_grinder is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
country flag Freak3yman84

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is tennis the only sport where tacticians are hated?

Yes, in other sports tacticians are as highly regarded as ball bashers are regarded in tennis.

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but four

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul) W Cordenons (w/dinkulpus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Freak3yman84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't ballbashing a tactic?

Stan Wawrinka
2014 Australian Open Champion | 2014 Monte Carlo Masters Champion

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
2008 Paris Masters Champion | 2014 Toronto Masters Champion
August is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #4

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Isn't ballbashing a tactic?
He's on to me...

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul) W Cordenons (w/dinkulpus)

Quote:
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Old 11-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

I love tacticians in tennis. I appreciate all the styles in all sports.

My favourite player in golf is Nicolas Colsaerts, who is the longest off the tee, equivalent to someone like Raonic in tennis. However I like a lot of guys with other styles, too.

So really, I don't judge people on what gamestyle they play, but it if they execute it in a pleasing manner. For instance, Simon is regarded as an ugly player, but I love the way he excites his style. He really toys with his opponents.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
So really, I don't judge people on what gamestyle they play, but it if they execute it in a pleasing manner. For instance, Simon is regarded as an ugly player, but I love the way he excites his style. He really toys with his opponents.
I full on agree with this. Same thing with Santoro, he probably had the least technically pleasing game ever in tennis but the way he would piss his opponents off was amazing.

Quote:
Old 11-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #7
country flag Ilovetheblues_86

Ilovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond repute

Dont be that naive OP, is not only about hitting the ball harder but knowing how to attack. The biggest critics of Simon, Monfils and sometimes Murray said that instead of trying to attack some balls they used to just push another ball to the other court.

What happens is that since the courts got slower serve and volley isnt used anymore hence you cant simply hit a strong approach shot and go to the net knowing that your opponent wood racket and the court surface will help you win 50% the point.

What fans dislike isnt exacly tactics, but the fact that on hard courts defensive tennis is getting advantage over attacking tennis. Players with 30 winners can lose against players with 6 winners if they make, lets say, 30 unforced errors vs 4 or 5.

If you get a carpet court or a faster grass court, the players would have to attack more, even by ballbashing or going to the net. The 80's and the 90's made fans like Boris Beckers and McEnroes, not Simons.

Mybe you can say tennis wasnt very tactical, which means, since the courts were fast, players just had to serve and go to the net, but you cant say that a serve and volley style doesnt use tactics.

Its the appeal a risky game has. The same as if in football someone puts a 3-4-3 tactic or something.

MAY THE SPIRIT OF KOSTAS PROTECT US

Last edited by Ilovetheblues_86 : 11-02-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Ilovetheblues_86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:43 PM   #8
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Filo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by out_grinder View Post
Anytime you get a player who wins matches mainly with his brain rather than by bashing the ball as hard as he can, he is hated and called a pusher.

Do football (soccer for you Americans) fans moan about the players trying the construct plays and just wishing that the players would kick the ball...harder. Wherever they are on the pitch, who cares - just kick the football harder. That's fun to watch.

Do boxing fans complain when their favorite is ducking and weaving all over the place, being a strategic nightmare to fight against? Do they just want to see two people stand still, taking punches to the face, and punching the other guy harder in the face?

Do golf fans just want their guy to hit the ball harder - regardless of how effective it is? Drive the ball harder. Putt the ball harder.

What about basketball? Screw tactics - just throw the ball harder.

Tennis may well be the most tactically dumb sports ever - all the fans want to see is that fuzzy yellow ball hit harder and harder.
Bolded part is a yes. The rest is a no. And most tennis fans on tennis websites are not real tennis fans, and more like bandwagon fans, and people who have limited understanding of the sport itself. You will not find an abundance of real tennis fans on sites like this.
Filo V. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #9
country flag End da Game

End da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond repute

well in football (soccer), theres this cancer called 'parking the bus' which is equivalent to pushing in tennis

what that basically means that one team go super-defensive, they don't even bother to attack, they just camp around their own half to defend. Matches like these are complete borefest, nothing ever happens, and less talented teams are effectively encouraged to play this disgusting type of football because unlike tennis, you can get a draw in football, so lesser teams (the david ferrer of football) opt for this cancerous tactic
End da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #10
country flag Lopez

Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute

I love tacticians. However, some people tend to also call their favorite players taciticians without real merit, just to shift focus away from the fact that they are, in fact, pushers.
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #11
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by out_grinder View Post

Yes and no I guess In boxing, it's always impressive to see a KO in the first or second round, even though it's a wasted money for those who came expecting to see 12 rounds. In basketball - some teams play run'n'gun basketball, which should be equivalent of ballbashing and equally (in)effective

Perhaps "pushing" is more slammed in tennis than in other sports, however I don't think this forum is actually a good example of representative opinion in tennis, it has its own favorites, biases etc.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #12
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by End da Game View Post
well in football (soccer), theres this cancer called 'parking the bus' which is equivalent to pushing in tennis

what that basically means that teams go super-defensive, they don't even bother to attack, they just camp around their own half to defend. Matches like these are complete borefest, nothing ever happens

THIS.

Clearly in all sports, the ones who attack and try to win are regarded higher than the ones who defend (pushers in tennis).

For example, in football, the team that is most acclaimed and admired in the world (Barcelona) is clearly an attacking team and when they lost to Chelsea the last Champions League or to Inter in 2010 most of the football fans were angry because they were defeated by teams who "parked the bus" and barely set foot on the opposite box.
BauerAlmeida is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #13
country flag shadows

shadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond repute

In football you routinely see dislike for the way certain teams play. A team who's overly defensive and tries to just sneak in a goal somewhere will often be criticised for it, similarly teams who just kick the ball forwards and hope their forwards can get on the end of it occasionally to find goals find criticism too.

Even a team like Spain who get a ton of praise for the technical and beautiful nature of their football came under lots of accusations during Euro 2012 this year for being boring.

It's just a fact of sports; people will always have favourite styles of play, types of personalities, or whatever else. No one will ever like exactly the same thing. I do think people tend to be more engaged with the most immediately exciting form of play though.
shadows is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #14
country flag BackhandDTL

BackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond repute

On the matter of pushing v. tactics:

I think that, for anyone who has played or "studied" tennis, there's a pretty obvious difference between tactical play and pushing. You can tell when a player has a specific idea about what he wants to do with a ball, and when they are hitting it simply to get it back in play. The latter rarely ever actually happens on a pro tour level. It happens, but not nearly to the extent that the word gets tossed around.

Unfortunately, a lot of tactical tennis, particularly when combined with defensive efforts, is dismissed as pushing. So as a whole, I would say yes, it's not easily accepted in tennis.
BackhandDTL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #15
country flag MuzzahLovah

MuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree. Most tennis fans appreciate point construction, only on MTF where mouth breathers rule do they prefer bashing and always root for giants over little guys.

Emperor Nishikori- King of Comeback- Slayer of Demons- Champion of Tokyo- Conquistador of Barcelona
MuzzahLovah is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote