Rank the forehands of the top 10 from best to worst - Page 8 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #106
country flag BackhandDTL

BackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rank the forehands of the top 10 from best to worst

1. Federer
2. Nadal

3. Berdych
4. Del Potro
5. Tsonga
6. Djokovic
7. Murray
8. Tipsarevic

9. Ferrer
10. Monaco Almagro
BackhandDTL is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #107
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
his backhand used to be very good as well, powerful, could go down-the-line, and it's great for a two-handed player to have such long arms.
It is a solid shot, but mostly a set up shot. The damage is done with his FH, which is imo one of the most devastating single groundstrokes ever. It hides a lot of weaknesses in his game that'd be brutally exploited otherwise: namely his movement that is definitely not up to par to the demands of the current era where long rallies are more common than ever.

USO 2009 SF and F are the best example of the FH being a Slam winning shot I guess, he basically beat both Federer and Nadal with that shot (especially Federer, he was using the serve merely as a rally starter in the last few sets), but I actually think a lot of his matches against 'mugs' are a much better indicator - how a lot of good players simply can't handle the pace/weight of shot even though JMDP keeps hitting with big margins down the middle ie not taking risks.

Last edited by Mark Lenders : 10-30-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #108
country flag Orka_n

Orka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond repute

At his peak, Federer's forehand was the best by far. Nadal was afraid of it as well. Fed's inside-out and inside-in FH were simply awesome back then.

At the moment I find it hard to separate Fed and Nadal and Delpo (although Delpo's pure power shots down the middle bores me to death and Nadal's FH isn't as reliable on fast/slow bouncing surfaces).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Times
During this year’s United States Open, Soderling said, he was watching a match on television when his young daughter came into the room. For a moment, she watched her father watching the tennis, but then she interrupted.

“She wanted to watch Dora,” Soderling said. “So, I said, ‘O.K.’ We watched Dora.”
Orka_n is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:01 PM   #109

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Delpo's FH is definitely the best 'mug repelent' I've ever seen. Against low ranked guys ie beyond top 8/10, he basically only needs to get a full swing on a FH during a rally and the point is his, even if he hits it down the middle. It's basically why he keeps beating players ranked lower than himself even while injured/in poor form. 99% of the tour fit this bill which is why I give Juan the edge.

Against the top players, I'd take Nadal's now and Federer if we consider his prime FH. Del Potro's usual FH patterns (hard, down the middle), although impressive, tend to come up short vs the top 4/5 (Ferrer deals with it very well too) who can redirect his power, he needs to change it up and is not always completely comfortable doing so. Nadal is the exception here, JMDP's FH is actually perfect to trouble Nadal, but vs Federer, Djokovic, Murray... it'd definitely be more helpful to have Federer's insane variety or Nadal's wicked topspin, they are usually not fazed by pure power.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:08 PM   #110
country flag Dougie

Dougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orka_n View Post
At his peak, Federer's forehand was the best by far. Nadal was afraid of it as well. Fed's inside-out and inside-in FH were simply awesome back then.

At the moment I find it hard to separate Fed and Nadal and Delpo (although Delpo's pure power shots down the middle bores me to death and Nadal's FH isn't as reliable on fast/slow bouncing surfaces).
When Del Potro gets into a good position, he can hit his forehand with tremendous pace, but he can´t really create that position as well as Federer. There still isn´t anyone better than Federer at moving around the backhand to hit an inside out forehand. That´s why he is still so dangerous, unless the ball is hit well to his backhand side, he will come up with an aggressive forehand.
Dougie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:09 PM   #111
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

Would have a peak top 10 Soderling be near the top 4? For me his FH should be right after Pony's together with Tsonga, Nole and Tbird.
latso is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:23 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post
Would have a peak top 10 Soderling be near the top 4? For me his FH should be right after Pony's together with Tsonga, Nole and Tbird.
Soderling would be #4 for me, it's a better shot than Tsonga and Berdych's.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:23 PM   #113
country flag Federerhingis

Federerhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orka_n View Post

I totally agree, today Federer's is probably top 3 tied for second place, however I guess overall his is still consistently the most reliable. Nonetheless, his forehand has declined incredibly since 2008 especially since 2010. For sheer pace Del Potro's is the most menacing, on slower courts with that wicked spin Nadal's is simply devastating, and so consistently brutal.

I would rank as follow:

Rafa
Roger
DelPo
Berdych
Ferrer
Novak
Tsonga
Tipsarevic
Monaco
Murray (has improved,and continues to improve, but not as reliable as his super backhand, can really generate pace when timed correctly and confidently)
when he has done you no harm, Proverbs3:30"

So long Marat Safin, C'mon Lleyton Hewitt,Viel gluck Tommy Haas, Bring it on Marcos Baghdatis, Gut Spielen Nicolas Kiefer, Dale Fernando Gonzalez, Dale David Nalbandian, Davai Nikolay Davydenko and Allez Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

Roger continue marvelling us the tennis mortals

Roger Federer & Martina Hingis (TENNIS)
Federerhingis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:11 PM   #114
country flag samanosuke

samanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
One of the best matches Fed has ever played imo was the final of Madrid Masters series indoors 2006 against Gonzalez and I can tell you that Fed showed the class of his forehand in this match. I'm always surprised that people don't remember that match so much whereas I hear so much of Roddick's match in AO 2007, because that Madrid final was of the same level (however shorter) and against a player who was better in rallies.
Two best Fed's matches regarding the forehand quality were Masters Cup final against Agassi and USO final against Hewitt. Only guy who came close to such forehand level were some Gonzo's matches at AO '07 but then again in the final you could have seen how Fed's variety on FH totally neutralized shot which looked untouchable at that particular tournament

Last edited by samanosuke : 10-30-2012 at 09:19 PM.
samanosuke is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:43 PM   #115
country flag Han Solo

Han Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebs View Post
1) I don't agree that Federer was often out hit FH-FH at his best, can you think of any specific examples, because I have to say I don't remember it happening at all.

2) I don't agree that the Gonzalez match is a good example, there were exceedingly few FH to FH rallies in the entire match, both players tried to play to the backhand, which Federer ultimately proved better able to do.

3) Even if that dubious example is accepted, that was a guy with one of the best forehands ever, at the best level he had ever reached, and he clearly didn't 'cream' him that badly considering he lost in three sets (I know it's partially because of Federer's all round superiority, but imo Federer was in complete control of sets two and three, including FH to FH).

One better example that there is, is the match with the same two players at the masters cup, Gonzalez really did out-hit Federer there. Cannot think of any other instances though, certainly not enough to declare it having happened 'often'.

For me, great shots are too big a part of tennis to be played off like this. Sure, the movement is really important and the footwork (which is connected with stroke play imo) is tantamount. However, these factors do not a champion make, not without seriously world class shots. The idea that Federer dominated the tour to the ludicrous degree he did, primarily through footwork and intelligence, just doesn't add up. His serve has always been good (but didn't peak in harmony with the rest of his game), his backhand is diverse and useful (though flawed in some ways), but the player that Federer is, and the dominance that he enjoyed, were primarily a function of his forehand. His ability to control points with that shot, to not lose tempo when people attack that wing (notably through amazing baseline half volleys), to hit winners of very low balls, to hit passing shots, and also to play % when it was called for (such as in constant hitting to the Gonzo BH in the 2007 AO match), combine to make a fearsome weapon. I'm sorry, I think you're trying to be objective, but realistically the notion that JMDP's forehand is in the same league as Federer's was in his peak years of 2004-2007 is a bit laughable. It's not as varied, it's not as consistent, it's not as good a passing shot, it's not as good a defensive shot, it's not as good a put away shot, it's far poorer on low balls. The imprint left by the power of JMDP's forehand is strong, but Federer's is a long way ahead at being effective in a far greater number of situations.
Well argued. Federer's forehand from 2004-7 is the best. Only Nadal of current players comes close.
Han Solo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:00 AM   #116
country flag Honestly
Banned!

Honestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashkatik View Post
That's missing, right?
BTW, glad to see my idea is catching on

1.Federer
2.Nadal
3.Ferrer
4/5.Del Potro
4/5.Berdych
6.Djokovic
7.Murray
8.Tsonga
9.Tipsarevic
10.Monaco
Ferrer at 3

Del Potro should be at 3, Ferrer at 8, and Tsonga at 6. Hope this helps.
Honestly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:05 AM   #117
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Del Shitro's forehand is overrated. It's a very basic WTA-style flat drive to the middle of the court with no variety. He just relies on overwhelming his opponent with pure power. Lame. His FH DTL is almost as bad as Mandy Mugray's.
Topspindoctor is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:19 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Del Shitro's forehand is overrated. It's a very basic WTA-style flat drive to the middle of the court with no variety. He just relies on overwhelming his opponent with pure power. Lame. His FH DTL is almost as bad as Mandy Mugray's.
He succeeds in that endeavor tho His FH is the best mug repelent on the ATP on tour, no matter how bad he's playing/if he's injured low ranked mugs simply can't cope with the pace/weight of shot and he keeps advancing through draws until reaching the top guys.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:21 AM   #119
country flag Tag

Tag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
must hurt that del potro pushes nadal even when he's half injured and exhausted

don't worry, that overrated forehand with no variety will be making inroads on nadal's clay patch
Tag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:26 AM   #120
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
must hurt that del potro pushes nadal even when he's half injured and exhausted
Actually no. One does not need to worry about cockroaches when you have a can of Raid, which is exactly what Del Bashtro is to Nadal when comparing careers/achievements.
Topspindoctor is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote