Rank the forehands of the top 10 from best to worst - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #76
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rank the forehands of the top 10 from best to worst

I'd pick Fed's forehand over Gonzo's any day of the week

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 05:36 PM   #77
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
because Gonzo's forehand was indeed lethal and one of the best of the history of the game imo, and it was especially out of this world in that tournament, I can't remember a tournament where a shot (other than a serve) has been so much out of this world, Del Po's 2009 forehand was not at this level.

But usually when Fed and Gonzo played against each other, the forehand-to-forehand rally was quite balanced, Gonzo a little bit more powerful and Fed more mobile and with more variety.

But honestly, when speaking of the best forehands of the history of the game, I've watched tennis in the last 30 years and Fed's is clearly one of the best, Nadal's and Gonzo's as well, I don't know how one can dispute that, Fed's forehand was much more important than his serve at his peak even though his footwork was his greatest asset.
You can't be serious. Del Potro's FH is clearly ahead of Gonzo's as far as consistent power is concerned. Gonzo's was a low margin, sometimes 'all or nothing' shot, JMDP can dominate 99% of the tour by simply hitting it court to the middle of the court with big margin and seeing the other guy simply unable to cope with the pace/weight of shot, he doesn't even need to go for winners to dominate with the FH bar against the very top guys who can absorb/redirect his power.

Gonzo might have a bit more finishing power (not sure tbf), but JMDP's forehand is unique for its consistent power. Against 99% of the tour, as soon as he gets a full swing on a forehand during a rally, it's basically over, even if it's a simple missile to the middle of the court with huge margin.

Also, Federer's not at his peak anymore, but most of the FH exchanges in his matches against JMDP are won by Del Potro. Federer wins by using his variety and generally not allowing Del Potro as many full swings on the FH as he would like, but rather play on Fed's terms.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:37 PM   #78
country flag stebs

stebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Not sure about that. Even in his peak, Federer was often outhit in pure FH exchanges by guys like Gonzalez - AO 2007 final is a great example of this, Federer had to resort to pummel Gonzo's BH like Nadal did his to take that one, he was getting creamed in a lot of FH exchanges.
1) I don't agree that Federer was often out hit FH-FH at his best, can you think of any specific examples, because I have to say I don't remember it happening at all.

2) I don't agree that the Gonzalez match is a good example, there were exceedingly few FH to FH rallies in the entire match, both players tried to play to the backhand, which Federer ultimately proved better able to do.

3) Even if that dubious example is accepted, that was a guy with one of the best forehands ever, at the best level he had ever reached, and he clearly didn't 'cream' him that badly considering he lost in three sets (I know it's partially because of Federer's all round superiority, but imo Federer was in complete control of sets two and three, including FH to FH).

One better example that there is, is the match with the same two players at the masters cup, Gonzalez really did out-hit Federer there. Cannot think of any other instances though, certainly not enough to declare it having happened 'often'.

Quote:
Federer's FH, while great, was never the main reason for his dominance - rather his unparalleled movement and footwork (best ever imo), as well as tennis IQ - he's always in the right position and always knows what's the best shot to hit. It's those intangibles that made him the player he is. His FH is a brilliant shot but I don't think it was ever the best on tour, let alone the best shot in tennis history. He does hit more FHs than the rest due to his amazing footwork though.
For me, great shots are too big a part of tennis to be played off like this. Sure, the movement is really important and the footwork (which is connected with stroke play imo) is tantamount. However, these factors do not a champion make, not without seriously world class shots. The idea that Federer dominated the tour to the ludicrous degree he did, primarily through footwork and intelligence, just doesn't add up. His serve has always been good (but didn't peak in harmony with the rest of his game), his backhand is diverse and useful (though flawed in some ways), but the player that Federer is, and the dominance that he enjoyed, were primarily a function of his forehand. His ability to control points with that shot, to not lose tempo when people attack that wing (notably through amazing baseline half volleys), to hit winners of very low balls, to hit passing shots, and also to play % when it was called for (such as in constant hitting to the Gonzo BH in the 2007 AO match), combine to make a fearsome weapon. I'm sorry, I think you're trying to be objective, but realistically the notion that JMDP's forehand is in the same league as Federer's was in his peak years of 2004-2007 is a bit laughable. It's not as varied, it's not as consistent, it's not as good a passing shot, it's not as good a defensive shot, it's not as good a put away shot, it's far poorer on low balls. The imprint left by the power of JMDP's forehand is strong, but Federer's is a long way ahead at being effective in a far greater number of situations.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #79
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Gonzo annihilated a supposedly healthier version of Kneedal in 2007. He absolutely destroyed him. Del Po did the same but RN was not in the form he was in 2007. Shot against shot, Gonzo and Del Po's FHs from those two tournaments are comparable and it's not just about power.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #80
country flag Lestat

Lestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond repute

1.Federer (a lot of variety and acceleration, he makes a lot of damage with it)
2.Del Potro (definitely the strongest and heaviest FH on tour, his main weapon, he can win a GS with his FH but kinda inconsistent when doesnt get angles).
3.Berdych
4.Tsonga
5. Nadull
6.Djokovic
7.Ferrer
8.Tipsarevic
9. Monaco
10.Mugray (we know how he will be remembered )

PS: God, Gonzalez's FH was an UE machine, you can NEVER compare it to Delpo's

Pusher Nation's Reign of Terror is coming to an end, their borders are conquered and we won't take any prisoners!
Get Ready King Mandy!

everytime Mandy wins, a little ballbasher kitty dies somewhere... Save kitties; support Ballbasher Nation
Lestat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #81
country flag out_grinder
Banned!

out_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond repute

Yeh, you guys need to remember that Nadal's forehand only looks GOAT level because it goes to the weaker wing of most players.

Make Nadal a rightie and we'll see if his forehand is GOAT level.
out_grinder is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #82
country flag Sapeod
77 years later...

Sapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond repute

In terms of greatness and overall ability at their best:

Federer
----
Tsonga
Djokovic
Del Potro
Nadal
Berdych
----
Murray
----
Ferrer
Tipsarevic
----
Monaco

Nadal's forehand has a lot of spin and is better than it would be because he's left handed. It's nothing special.

SLAMS: 2 WINS, 5 finals, 7 semi-finals, 6 quarter-finals...
MASTERS: 9 WINS, 3 finals, 8 semi-finals, 16 quarter-finals...
WTF: 3 semi-finals...
OLYMPICS: 1 gold, 1 silver...
CAREER PRIZE MONEY: $31,928,448 (5th of all time)
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 456-142...
TITLES: 28 and counting...
Sapeod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:46 PM   #83
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapeod View Post
In terms of greatness and overall ability at their best:

Federer
----
Nadal
----
Tsonga
Djokovic
Del Potro
Berdych
----
Murray
----
Ferrer
Tipsarevic
----
Monaco
scary sensible from you

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:46 PM   #84
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You can't be serious. Del Potro's FH is clearly ahead of Gonzo's as far as consistent power is concerned. Gonzo's was a low margin, sometimes 'all or nothing' shot, JMDP can dominate 99% of the tour by simply hitting it court to the middle of the court with big margin
Gonzo was also able to play forehands with a good margin and spin, he had several different forehands but he took more risks than Del Po, that's true, esp. because his backhand was less good, and his defense as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebs
1) I don't agree that Federer was often out hit FH-FH at his best, can you think of any specific examples, because I have to say I don't remember it happening at all.
Agree with all of your post as usual and notably about that, and notably remembering his matches against Gonzo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebs
One better example that there is, is the match with the same two players at the masters cup, Gonzalez really did out-hit Federer there. Cannot think of any other instances though, certainly not enough to declare it having happened 'often'.
One of the best matches Fed has ever played imo was the final of Madrid Masters series indoors 2006 against Gonzalez and I can tell you that Fed showed the class of his forehand in this match. I'm always surprised that people don't remember that match so much whereas I hear so much of Roddick's match in AO 2007, because that Madrid final was of the same level (however shorter) and against a player who was better in rallies.

They also played against each other at least twice in Roland-Garros, and although it's true that Fed was more on the defensive than Gonzo, I wouldn't say he was out-hit consistently.

Last edited by duong : 10-30-2012 at 05:53 PM.
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #85
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You can't be serious. Del Potro's FH is clearly ahead of Gonzo's as far as consistent power is concerned. Gonzo's was a low margin, sometimes 'all or nothing' shot, JMDP can dominate 99% of the tour by simply hitting it court to the middle of the court with big margin and seeing the other guy simply unable to cope with the pace/weight of shot, he doesn't even need to go for winners to dominate with the FH bar against the very top guys who can absorb/redirect his power.
The point is though at the 2007 A.O. Gonzo's forehand was all rather than nothing. He hit 3 UEs in the semi against Haas. Three!
Old 10-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #86
country flag Sapeod
77 years later...

Sapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Rank the forehands of the top 10 from best to worst

Quote:
1-Del Potro
2-Nadal

3-Federer

4-Tsonga
5-Berdych

6-Djokovic

7-Tipsarevic

8-Murray
9-Ferrer

10-Monaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post
Nadal
Federer
Tsonga
Del Potro
Djokovic
Berdych
Ferrer
Tipsarevic
Murray
Monaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by uxyzapenje View Post
1. Delpo
2. Nadal

3. Federer
4. Berdych
5. Tsonga
6. Djokovic
7. Tipsarevic
8. Murray
9. Ferrer
10. Monaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelNadalisGod View Post
1. Nadal
2. Federer

GAP

3. Del Potro
4. Berdych
5. Tsonga
6. Djokovic
7. Tipsarevic
8. Murray
9. Ferrer
10. Pico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanya View Post
1. Delpo. He can do almost everything from that wing with different speed. Very reliable shot.
2. Fed. Rogie declined strongly with his forehand, but I would still put him #2.
3. Berdych.
4. Djokovic.
5. Ferrer.
6. Tsonga.
7. Murray.
8. Tipsarevic.
9. Monaco.

I don`t rank Rafa.

I don`t know what latso is talking about, but Federer`s prime forehand was the biggest shot tennis ever had honour to witness. He could do everything his heel wanted from any position, using any speed and angle. GOAT shot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak3yman84 View Post
1. Nadal
2. Federer
3. Del Potro
4. Tsonga
5. Berdych
6. Djokovic
7. Ferrer
8. Tipsarevic
9. Murray
10. Monaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendary Lopata View Post
Del Potro
Nadal
Berdych

olderer
Djokovic
clownga
Murray
Tipsarevic
Ferrer
Gasquet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmzB View Post
1. Nadal
2. Federer
3. Del Potro
4. Tsonga
5. Berdych
6. Djokovic
7. Ferrer
8. Murray
9. Tipsarevic
10. Monaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min son View Post
1. Nadal
2. Federer
3. Tsonga
4. Del Potro
5. Berdych
6. Djokovic
7. Murray
8. Tipsarevic
9. Ferrer
10. Monaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballbasher View Post
1-Del Potro
2-Federer
3-Nadal
4-Tsonga
5-Berdych
6-Djokovic
7-Tipsarevic
8-Ferrer
9-Murray
10-Monaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixer View Post
1 Del Potro
2 Nadal

3 Federer
4 Djokovic
5 Berdych
6 Tsonga
7 Murray
8 Ferrer
9 Tipsarevic
10 Gasquet (or Monaco)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetSeb View Post
1. Nadal
2. Federer
3. del Potro
4. Djokovic
5. Tsonga
6. Berdych
7. Ferrer
8. Murray
9. Tipsarevic
10. Monaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
1. Nadal
2. Federer
3. Del Potro
4. Djokovic
5. Berdych
6. Tsonga
7. Ferrer
8. Tipsarevic
9. Murray
10. Monaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa is the GOAT View Post
This is not because I'm a Rafa fan but my true opinion
1. nadal

2. Federer

3. Del Potro
4. Berdych
5. Djokovic
6. Tsonga
7. Ferrer
8. Murray
9. Tipsa
10. Juan Mugraco
Wrong.
Quote:
Nadal has by far the best FH in the game, not in Top 10, but overall and not only for this generation, but probably a top 3 ever.

I'm a Fed fan, but for me it's curious for ppl rating his or Pony's FHs better than Nadal's, that's just insane.

Anytime Rafa can turn around and hit the ball with the FH - you know this point is slowly (or not) becoming his biatch.

No one is That dominant with this shot. The guy has barely any serve, BH, slice, volleys, technique, etc. But he has this FH. And psycho-physical abilities as well ofc, but it's all about this powerful whip.
Quote:
i've watched Fed since the 90s

And his FH despite being among the greatest shots in history is still right behind Rafa's in my book.

Fed always had the FH to capiatlize on all the rest he does have. Rafa has always been 70% FH and this is absolutely incredible.

Federer's FH is probably Pony like and a bit better, but for me it is quite behind Rafa's.

Ppl tend to forget Fed's serve, brain, variety, footwork, touch, etc. These combined with his FH made him the greatest.
Even the Chillean Bull had a more standing out FH than Fed, what to say about Rafa.
Quote:
I agree with all these, except the all slice period, which is not true.

But as a Fed fan you can hardly find many ppl appreciating his game more than i do, yet i try to be objective and Rafa's FH is a shot that had me impressed since the very first few times i watched him. No one else can create this rotation, with the necessary speed and a real minimum margin for error, all the banana passing shots, etc.

It's probably a narrow margin here and possibly a matter of taste, or personal opinion, coz they're both incredible shots indeed.
Wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
1) Nadal
10) Mandy
Incorrect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
scary sensible from you
Wrong. I put Nadal's too high, so I edited it. Now it's better.

SLAMS: 2 WINS, 5 finals, 7 semi-finals, 6 quarter-finals...
MASTERS: 9 WINS, 3 finals, 8 semi-finals, 16 quarter-finals...
WTF: 3 semi-finals...
OLYMPICS: 1 gold, 1 silver...
CAREER PRIZE MONEY: $31,928,448 (5th of all time)
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 456-142...
TITLES: 28 and counting...
Sapeod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #87
country flag stebs

stebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapeod View Post
Nadal's forehand has a lot of spin and is better than it would be because he's left handed. It's nothing special.
Bearing in mind his serve is not exceptional, his backhand is not exceptional and his return is not exceptional, it is totally ridiculous that he could have achieved what he has if the forehand was really 'nothing special'. Obviously Nadal's got unbelievable movement, but realistically, you don't get to be one of the best baseliners of all time without a seriously special shot. Be aware that at his peak, Nadal clearly has a greater winning % of baseline points than Federer did at his peak (crudely assuming first serve points are greatly effected by the quality of the serves, for instance, a big serve and FH put away wouldn't count as a 'baseline point' to me). Statistically, there is a very strong argument for deeming Nadal as the best baseline point player ever. It's ludicrous that some people put him at #7 or 8 on the BH list and around #5 here. How the hell do you people imagine he's consistently defeating most players around him? With superior movement and mental strength? I'm sorry, but those two factors do not suffice for the incredible career of Nadal.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #88
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Sapeod trolling the hell out of the last Nadulltard . This is Mastercard level.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:00 PM   #89
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
Gonzo annihilated a supposedly healthier version of Kneedal in 2007. He absolutely destroyed him. Del Po did the same but RN was not in the form he was in 2007. Shot against shot, Gonzo and Del Po's FHs from those two tournaments are comparable and it's not just about power.
True. But while it might sound exaggerated, JMDP basically became a top player by hitting FHs to the middle of the court again, again and again and seeing opponents inevitably either being unable to cope or just leave a short ball. It is a strategy that works against everyone bar a handful of players, which imo is a testament to what a great shot it is. It doesn't need to be a super offensive almost 'all or nothing' shot to win matches/be dominating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophocles View Post
The point is though at the 2007 A.O. Gonzo's forehand was all rather than nothing. He hit 3 UEs in the semi against Haas. Three!
True, but on a regular basis, his FH wasn't that reliable or error free. It tended to leak a lot of UEs sometimes, it was spectacular and very powerful but in a way an all or nothing shot too, JMDP's can be dominant while being extremely consistent because he plays with big margins most of the time.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:02 PM   #90
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Also, Federer's not at his peak anymore, but most of the FH exchanges in his matches against JMDP are won by Del Potro. Federer wins by using his variety and generally not allowing Del Potro as many full swings on the FH as he would like, but rather play on Fed's terms.
it would have been different at Fed's peak : his footwork was such in that time that his forehands on the run were especially unbelievable and he could have used that especially against Del Po.