Rank the forehands of the top 10 from best to worst - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-29-2012, 09:23 PM   #16
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rank the forehands of the top 10 from best to worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by samanosuke View Post
In that period Fed played most of the time just slice BH, even on clay. Try to imagine a modern game player who is playing most of the time just slice on one side and is ranked in top 10, pretty unimaginable. Fed, by playing slice BH had the best 4 consecutive years in open era history, that's how his forehand was good. Take Tsonga's or Delpo's bashing FH on the day when everything is going in and you'll get Fed's FH in 4 years time with exception that watching Tsonga or Delpo you get an impression that those are risky home run shots with big margin for error, watching Fed hitting those FHs you had a feeling like he is taking some zero margin for error basic shots
I agree with all these, except the all slice period, which is not true.

But as a Fed fan you can hardly find many ppl appreciating his game more than i do, yet i try to be objective and Rafa's FH is a shot that had me impressed since the very first few times i watched him. No one else can create this rotation, with the necessary speed and a real minimum margin for error, all the banana passing shots, etc.

It's probably a narrow margin here and possibly a matter of taste, or personal opinion, coz they're both incredible shots indeed.
latso is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 09:24 PM   #17
country flag Fed fordawin

Fed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post
i've watched Fed since the 90s

And his FH despite being among the greatest shots in history is still right behind Rafa's in my book.

Fed always had the FH to capiatlize on all the rest he does have. Rafa has always been 70% FH and this is absolutely incredible.

Federer's FH is probably Pony like and a bit better, but for me it is quite behind Rafa's.

Ppl tend to forget Fed's serve, brain, variety, footwork, touch, etc. These combined with his FH made him the greatest.
Even the Chillean Bull had a more standing out FH than Fed, what to say about Rafa.
Nadal doesn't have that great of a forehand. What he has is great speed to get to hit a few more forehands before the opponent makes a mistake.
Players actually attack Nadal's forehand quite a lot. Doing that against Federer (if he's anywhere near the ball) = suicide.

1- Federer
2- Tsonga
3- Del Potro
4- Nadal (get bonus points for his effectiveness on clay, otherwise would be even lower)
5- Berdych
6- Djokovic
7- Murray
8- Ferrer
9- Tipsarevic
10- Monaco

Alchimists transform iron into gold. Boriiiiiing!
Movie-makers transform dreams into reality. Yeah, whatever...
El Tio transforms Dull into a multiple GS champion! Daaaaamn!

El Tio has the keys to weather, court speed, draw making, umpires' decisions and perception of time between points, top players' fatherhood, and my libido!

This signature is in no way ironic. Please don't ever let El Tio think that, for my sake!
Fed fordawin is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:24 PM   #18
country flag hicdick

hicdick has a reputation beyond reputehicdick has a reputation beyond reputehicdick has a reputation beyond reputehicdick has a reputation beyond reputehicdick has a reputation beyond reputehicdick has a reputation beyond reputehicdick has a reputation beyond reputehicdick has a reputation beyond reputehicdick has a reputation beyond reputehicdick has a reputation beyond reputehicdick has a reputation beyond repute

Federer
Nadal
Del Potro
Tsonga
Berdych
Djokovic
Murray
Ferrer
Tipsarevic
Monaco
hicdick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:25 PM   #19
country flag Sanya

Sanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond repute

1. Delpo. He can do almost everything from that wing with different speed. Very reliable shot.
2. Fed. Rogie declined strongly with his forehand, but I would still put him #2.
3. Berdych.
4. Djokovic.
5. Ferrer.
6. Tsonga.
7. Murray.
8. Tipsarevic.
9. Monaco.

I don`t rank Rafa.

I don`t know what latso is talking about, but Federer`s prime forehand was the biggest shot tennis ever had honour to witness. He could do everything his heel wanted from any position, using any speed and angle. GOAT shot.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:31 PM   #20
country flag samanosuke

samanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond repute

Nadal forehand is overrated because his best shot is going against most other player's worst shot, his speed and footwork allowing him to force this pattern of play and that's all. Just look how he was struggling against Nole, he couldn't have broken Nole's BH and didn't have option B. Just forehand as single shot isn't that impressive, using DTL once per match, rarely hits the flat one, can't create big angle on IO shot, etc...
Old 10-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #21
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by uxyzapenje View Post
1. Delpo
2. Nadal
3. Federer
4. Berdych
5. Tsonga
6. Djokovic
7. Tipsarevic
8. Murray
9. Ferrer
10. Monaco
Our list is exactly the same, except I put Tsonga #4 and Berdych #5 - tough decision too, they are roughly the same.

They say great minds think alike

Last edited by Mark Lenders : 10-29-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:36 PM   #22
country flag tyruk14

tyruk14 has a reputation beyond reputetyruk14 has a reputation beyond reputetyruk14 has a reputation beyond reputetyruk14 has a reputation beyond reputetyruk14 has a reputation beyond reputetyruk14 has a reputation beyond reputetyruk14 has a reputation beyond reputetyruk14 has a reputation beyond reputetyruk14 has a reputation beyond reputetyruk14 has a reputation beyond reputetyruk14 has a reputation beyond repute

Federer

Nadal

Del Potro
Djokovic
Berdych
Tsonga
Ferrer
Murray
Tipsarveic
Monaco
Old 10-29-2012, 09:46 PM   #23
country flag uxyzapenje

uxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Our list is exactly the same, except I put Tsonga #4 and Berdych #5 - tough decision too, they are roughly the same.

They say great things minds think alike
I guess they do
Old 10-29-2012, 09:46 PM   #24
country flag fivebargate

fivebargate has a reputation beyond reputefivebargate has a reputation beyond reputefivebargate has a reputation beyond reputefivebargate has a reputation beyond reputefivebargate has a reputation beyond reputefivebargate has a reputation beyond reputefivebargate has a reputation beyond reputefivebargate has a reputation beyond reputefivebargate has a reputation beyond reputefivebargate has a reputation beyond reputefivebargate has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
They say great things minds think alike
They also say numpties can't put together coherent sentences!
fivebargate is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:52 PM   #25
country flag Freak3yman84

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute

1. Nadal
2. Federer
3. Del Potro
4. Tsonga
5. Berdych
6. Djokovic
7. Ferrer
8. Tipsarevic
9. Murray
10. Monaco

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but four

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul) W Cordenons (w/dinkulpus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Freak3yman84 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #26
country flag Legendary Lopata
Banned!

Legendary Lopata has a reputation beyond reputeLegendary Lopata has a reputation beyond reputeLegendary Lopata has a reputation beyond reputeLegendary Lopata has a reputation beyond reputeLegendary Lopata has a reputation beyond reputeLegendary Lopata has a reputation beyond reputeLegendary Lopata has a reputation beyond reputeLegendary Lopata has a reputation beyond reputeLegendary Lopata has a reputation beyond reputeLegendary Lopata has a reputation beyond reputeLegendary Lopata has a reputation beyond repute

Del Potro
Nadal
Berdych
olderer
Djokovic
clownga
Murray
Tipsarevic
Ferrer
Gasquet
Legendary Lopata is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:20 PM   #27
country flag Saberq

Saberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond repute

I cant believe Monaco is top 10
Saberq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:38 PM   #28
country flag Orange Wombat
Banned!

Orange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashkatik View Post
That's missing, right?
BTW, glad to see my idea is catching on

1.Federer
2.Nadal
3.Ferrer
4/5.Del Potro
4/5.Berdych
6.Djokovic
7.Murray
8.Tsonga
9.Tipsarevic
10.Monaco
Tsonga at Number 8
Orange Wombat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:39 PM   #29
country flag Nole Rules

Nole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashkatik View Post
That's missing, right?
BTW, glad to see my idea is catching on

1.Federer
2.Nadal
3.Ferrer
4/5.Del Potro
4/5.Berdych
6.Djokovic
7.Murray
8.Tsonga
9.Tipsarevic
10.Monaco

Thanks for the laugh.
Nole Rules is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:40 PM   #30
country flag ImmzB

ImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond repute

1. Nadal
2. Federer
3. Del Potro
4. Tsonga
5. Berdych
6. Djokovic
7. Ferrer
8. Murray
9. Tipsarevic
10. Monaco

[M.Safin] [T.Henman] [G.Rusedski] [A.Roddick]