The ilogical "Wishing Death" - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Reply

Old 10-29-2012, 03:16 AM   #1
country flag Lestat
Registered User
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Buenos Aires
Age: 33
Posts: 2,036
Lestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond repute
Red face The ilogical "Wishing Death"

I have come back to MTF a month ago after being banned because of the wishing death thing, I was a little bit angry because I like the forum, I have been around for many time and I as far as I know, the ban was wrong to me.

I didn't want to post anything about it cause Im ok now but my suggest for the admins is: if you dont want to change this ridiculous rule then BAN THE WORD KILL/KILLING in the VBulletin's admin CP and no one else will be banned wrongly. I was banned by saying "someone should kill Gago (Argentina's national football team) by wearing that t-shirt" or something like that ... you dont judge de context, you just judge de word "kill" and that is nonsense to me, If you tell me I wished death to some user with hatred ok, but I was only making fun of Gago.

the result of this? Banned for 3 months.

Another suggest: If you ban someone at least let him see the private message you send to banned ppl (when you are banned you have no access to control panel/messages/anything) I did not know why I was banned after I made contact to some admin (not an easy task when you are unable to watch forum index).

It would be nice and open mind if you dont delete this thread.
__________________
Supporting the Ballbasher Nation, some of our proud soldiers:
Juan Martin del Potro - Robin Soderling - Joachim Johansson - Thomas Berdych - Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

Pusher Nation's Reign of Terror is coming to an end, their borders are conquered and we won't take any prisoners!
Get Ready King Mandy!

everytime Mandy wins, a little ballbasher kitty dies somewhere... Save kitties; support Ballbasher Nation

Last edited by Lestat : 10-29-2012 at 04:51 AM.
Lestat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 10-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
country flag Ilovetheblues_86
Registered User
 
Ilovetheblues_86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 27
Posts: 10,878
Ilovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The ilogical "Wishing Death"

Theres not much sense in ban someone for wishing death without analyzing the context. Wishing death should be bannable in the case of personal attacks against users. Against tennis players or third parties it should be considered as abuse of the language and be given only an infraction, that, if repeated, could ban someone for some days (like 7 days or 15 days).

For example if you say: someone should kill Mourinho because hes an annoying idiot, its clear you are abusing in the forum with bad words so you should get an infraction and get the post edited. But bannign somoene for full 3 months because of this is madness.

The progression should be also something like this- infraction, 7 days, 15 days and a month. You are banning someone that doesnt respect the rules, rather someone who said something silly ocasionally.
__________________
HELLAS TT ARMY


MAY THE SPIRIT OF KOSTAS PROTECT US
Ilovetheblues_86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #3
country flag rocketassist
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,682
rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The ilogical "Wishing Death"

Just don't wish death it's that simple. Why are people so desperate to have that kind of privilege?
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #4
country flag Lestat
Registered User
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Buenos Aires
Age: 33
Posts: 2,036
Lestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The ilogical "Wishing Death"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Just don't wish death it's that simple. Why are people so desperate to have that kind of privilege?
lets say I agree with do you think as first ban in your forum-life 3 months is correct? I didn't abuse of the "word" in fact I never said it before here, and suddenly my mistake trying to make a joke Im banned for 3 months. Is that coherent for you?
I have been around in forums for many time and I've never seen a rule like this. It's a tricky rule to ban people that did't try to offend someone.

As Ilovetheblues_86 said, if you are going to ban someone by first time and with this ridiculous "argument" at least give him a warning or ban him for a week, not 3 months :S It's a punishment too severe for something that not even consider the context.

Everything is wrong about this rule.
__________________
Supporting the Ballbasher Nation, some of our proud soldiers:
Juan Martin del Potro - Robin Soderling - Joachim Johansson - Thomas Berdych - Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

Pusher Nation's Reign of Terror is coming to an end, their borders are conquered and we won't take any prisoners!
Get Ready King Mandy!

everytime Mandy wins, a little ballbasher kitty dies somewhere... Save kitties; support Ballbasher Nation
Lestat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #5
country flag Ilovetheblues_86
Registered User
 
Ilovetheblues_86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 27
Posts: 10,878
Ilovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The ilogical "Wishing Death"

Yeah, I know at least 2 or 3 guys that were similarly surprised by being banned with this harsh rule that gives the posters no right to correct themselves.
__________________
HELLAS TT ARMY


MAY THE SPIRIT OF KOSTAS PROTECT US

Last edited by Ilovetheblues_86 : 10-29-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Ilovetheblues_86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:00 PM   #6
country flag samanosuke
Registered User
 
samanosuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 16,329
samanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The ilogical "Wishing Death"

Never banned for this reason but fully agree with lestat and ilovetheblues_86 . first of all main problem is in that parole on which mods/admins are so proud and pointing it out so often "Bannings are not done lightly and in all cases a lot of discussion takes place before such a decision is made, or to confirm that the correct decision was made when the ban has been implemented."

From first hand I know this isn't true and i felt it on my own skin being banned for wishing injury which was clearly misunderstand . when i explained the thing the ban was removed and i got a message from admin which banned me, it was something like " in future be careful because I have no time to read the posts carefully" .

So not just that one admin brought decision , he didn't have time to read it better also. I mean, you are doing this job by your own will, nobody forces you to do it so then do it properly or choose other place for playing God.

When are you bringing so long term decision at least take some time to do it .

The same problem is with discriminatory remarks banning, plenty of time they are at least doubtful. If somebody really wants to insult someone don't know why he would camouflage it in double sensed sentences .

People should get banned for these 3 reasons just in obvious cases, everything else is subjective deciding, most of the time from one person like it was in my case.

But anyway this is sysphious job. in all these years nobody didn't succeed to change anything so don't see why he would now
samanosuke is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:05 AM   #7
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
 
scoobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Age: 36
Posts: 53,382
scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The ilogical "Wishing Death"

It's a harsh rule, and the main reason think it's harsh is because it doesn't allow people to use the "I was only joking" excuse. And that's because it's not the sort of joke that many people find funny.

However, I did create a discussion thread on this subject earlier this year, and most people who responded favoured keeping the rule as it is and not relaxing or changing it at all. So things are likely to stay as they are and people will just have to be careful with their choice of words...
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
country flag rocketassist
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,682
rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The ilogical "Wishing Death"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
lets say I agree with do you think as first ban in your forum-life 3 months is correct? I didn't abuse of the "word" in fact I never said it before here, and suddenly my mistake trying to make a joke Im banned for 3 months. Is that coherent for you?
I have been around in forums for many time and I've never seen a rule like this. It's a tricky rule to ban people that did't try to offend someone.

As Ilovetheblues_86 said, if you are going to ban someone by first time and with this ridiculous "argument" at least give him a warning or ban him for a week, not 3 months :S It's a punishment too severe for something that not even consider the context.

Everything is wrong about this rule.
why do you need to tell someone to die though? is there any real point?
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:26 PM   #9
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan
 
Kat_YYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 10,556
Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The ilogical "Wishing Death"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Just don't wish death it's that simple. Why are people so desperate to have that kind of privilege?
I have to come clean because the other thread was locked, but I said the same thing as you, but then I noticed that I do kind of "wish death" on people in real life.

Mostly in traffic. The only difference is (besides of course that I don't actually mean it), that the person I'm saying it too has no idea, because I'm just by myself muttering inside my car, or on my bike. I would never yell it at anyone even if I could make sure they'd hear (like if the car's window is down). I don't mind yelling f* you or something but that's about it. It's just a reflex from frustration or anger/fear from the fact that someone nearly actually killed you while pulling some boneheaded move.

But I find it easier to not wish death on people on the internet because 1) they are not really affecting my life much, I mean it's not worth getting that worked up about; they didn't do something that nearly caused me to be killed in traffic; and 2) I actually tend to look over what I type and consider it before hitting the "reply" button.
__________________
Roger Federer * Greatest Of All Time
Kat_YYZ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:53 PM   #10
country flag BauerAlmeida
Registered User
 
BauerAlmeida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Argentina
Age: 22
Posts: 3,746
BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The ilogical "Wishing Death"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
I have come back to MTF a month ago after being banned because of the wishing death thing, I was a little bit angry because I like the forum, I have been around for many time and I as far as I know, the ban was wrong to me.

I didn't want to post anything about it cause Im ok now but my suggest for the admins is: if you dont want to change this ridiculous rule then BAN THE WORD KILL/KILLING in the VBulletin's admin CP and no one else will be banned wrongly. I was banned by saying "someone should kill Gago (Argentina's national football team) by wearing that t-shirt" or something like that ... you dont judge de context, you just judge de word "kill" and that is nonsense to me, If you tell me I wished death to some user with hatred ok, but I was only making fun of Gago.

the result of this? Banned for 3 months.

Another suggest: If you ban someone at least let him see the private message you send to banned ppl (when you are banned you have no access to control panel/messages/anything) I did not know why I was banned after I made contact to some admin (not an easy task when you are unable to watch forum index).

It would be nice and open mind if you dont delete this thread.
I agree. I was banned for something similar. The "wishing death" thing should apply if you're wishing it against a user.
BauerAlmeida is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:38 AM   #11
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sen'jin Village
Age: 29
Posts: 17,777
Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The ilogical "Wishing Death"

"Wishing death/injury" rule should be done away with entirely IMO.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #12
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan
 
Kat_YYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 10,556
Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The ilogical "Wishing Death"

by the way, OP, you know you have a blatant death threat in your signature, right?
__________________
Roger Federer * Greatest Of All Time
Kat_YYZ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:14 PM   #13
country flag HKz
Hakeem
 
HKz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mesa
Posts: 5,235
HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The ilogical "Wishing Death"

Not sure why this is such a big deal. You have a brain, now find words to express how you feel. Nice thing about the English language, and like ALL languages is that we have multiple words for the same or similar meanings. I'm not sure what is so hard. Just because you can't blatantly wish for death or injury of a player/team, you can still express your disgust for that same individual by using "other" words to clearly show others how you feel. Or if you want to describe such a beatdown, well there are millions of ways to describe that very image without using "kill" or whatever. Not sure why this is such an issue or so hard to combat
__________________
Federer / Haas / Safin / Gaudio / Kuerten / Youzhny / Nadal / Gonzalez / Ljubicic / Hewitt / Soderling / Wawrinka / Coria / Nalbandian / Kohlschreiber
HKz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:54 AM   #14
Guest12315544
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Between a rock and a hard place.
Posts: 32,764
Guest12315544 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest12315544 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest12315544 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest12315544 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest12315544 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest12315544 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest12315544 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest12315544 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest12315544 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest12315544 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest12315544 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The ilogical "Wishing Death"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_YYZ View Post
by the way, OP, you know you have a blatant death threat in your signature, right?
Leave it to Kat to notice everything. I didn't even see that, but you are right on as usual And scoobs haven't we been here and done this all before?
Why are we doing it all over again?
Guest12315544 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:04 AM   #15
country flag Ilovetheblues_86
Registered User
 
Ilovetheblues_86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 27
Posts: 10,878
Ilovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The ilogical "Wishing Death"

The op has a "death wish' and I have a phrase of a necromancer to rise some skeletons from the cemetery.

Until someone says I cant wish for the dead to rise I will keep it.

I am all in favor for the OP because this stupid rule got me twice in the year when I was just expressing myself in a creative way, stylish and cool way.

Like one user already said: MTF is just too afraid of death.


But, you know, theres just so many immature people on the forum, and so much negativity that when good users say a forbidden joke or just wanna say something stupid once in a while they can be banned.
When the board is too strict it means the users must be patronized. All without differentiation and without analyzing a context.
__________________
HELLAS TT ARMY


MAY THE SPIRIT OF KOSTAS PROTECT US

Last edited by Ilovetheblues_86 : 11-02-2012 at 07:29 AM.
Ilovetheblues_86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios