Alpine Skiing thread - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #46
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alpine Skiing thread - World Championships in Schladming, Austria (5-17 Feb)

A great run by Svindal gave him his 5th World Championship, 8th medal in the Worlds.

And a nice result for Finland's Andreas Romar, 5th. That's his career best result in World Ch'ship/World Cup level.

Stan Wawrinka
2014 Australian Open Champion | 2014 Monte Carlo Masters Champion

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
2008 Paris Masters Champion | 2014 Toronto Masters Champion
August is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #47
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alpine Skiing thread - World Championships in Schladming, Austria (5-17 Feb)

Impressive victory for Ligety in today's giant slalom. Three victories is same championships is a rare feat. And a deserved silver for Hirscher, clearly the 2nd best skier but not close to Ligety. And nice to see Mölgg on podium, I could predict that earlier this winter. And also best giant slalom of this winter for Svindal, but not quite enough for a medal.

Stan Wawrinka

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
Old 02-16-2013, 01:48 AM   #48
country flag Kolya

Kolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond repute

Hirscher
Old 02-19-2013, 07:27 AM   #49
country flag Kolya

Kolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond repute

Hirscher
Old 03-17-2013, 09:15 PM   #50
country flag August

Default Re: Alpine Skiing thread

World Cup season 2012/2013 came to its conclusion this weekend. Despite his great start to the season, Svindal had lost his lead in overall points to Hirscher because of worse results in January and schedule favouring technical guys like Hirscher. What Svindal needed to do at the finals was to get good results in downhill, super-g, and giant slalom, and hope Hirscher to fail in either giant slalom or slalom. In women's side the only excitement was anymore if Maze can win all discipline titles, she had already secured the overall title.

But FIS did their best to outmug USTA. Both men's and women's downhill and super-g races had to be cancelled because of bad weather. And unlike previously in the season, final races aren't rescheduled, to enable the season to end at the scheduled date. That cancellation destroyed Maze's dream of five discipline titles by denying her the chance to get that point she was behind the injured downhill leader Vonn. (Two years ago Vonn similarly lost her chance to pass Riesch in the overall standings when the season-ending giant slalom was cancelled.) The cancellation of DH & SG also took Svindal off the small chance of catching Hirscher as Svindal is a bad slalom skier. You can really question if that was fair, the calendar already has a different number of races for each discipline and cancellation of final DH & SG made it even more skewed in favour of technical events. The consolation prize for Svindal was that the cancellation of DH gave him the downhill cup title, the first for a Norwegian since Lasse Kjus in 1999. But what made FIS look like utter clowns was that they cancelled those DH & SG races even though they could've had those races on Friday instead of that stupid team event that hardly even the skiers themselves care about.

Anyway, Hirscher won men's overall title, and he had a really good season for a techical skier. Podium finish in all slaloms with three victories plus one in parallel slalom, leading to a clear slalom cup title. And in giant slalom only one race outside podium with one race victory, resulting to 2nd place in GS points. In women's side, Maze ended up with three discipline titles after she lost the slalom title with a bad 2nd run and the title went to only 18-year-old Mikaela Shiffrin from USA.

Stan Wawrinka

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
Old 03-17-2013, 09:24 PM   #51
country flag SloKid
In hiding.

SloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond repute

Men ended up racing only 5 super-Gs.
SloKid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #52
country flag August

The World Cup season 2013/2014 begins this weekend. Today there was women's giant slalom, won by Switzerland's Lara Gut. Of bigger names, Maze was 18th, Höfl-Riesch didn't finish, and Vonn makes a comeback in the North American races in late November.

Men's season begins tomorrow. Hopefully somebody can challenge Hirscher for the overall title. Ligety is in my opinion the best all-round skier, his World Ch'ship golds from super-G, giant slalom, and combined as a proof of that. Unfortunately those are the disciplines with least races, making the overall title harder for Ligety to achieve.

Svindal was last year great in speed disciplines but to win the overall title, he should find the GS form that brought him Worlds' gold and GS World Cup title in 2007. Another Norwegian, Kjetil Jansrud should also find his old GS form. He was great in GS a few years ago and with that added to his recent years' DH/SG form, he'd have a chance for the overall title.

Alexis Pinturault is also a dangerous guy. Hirscher has shown that GS + SL is enough to win the overall title. On his day, Pinturault is a beast in those disciplines, hopefully he'll get more consistency. He's also a good combined skier, unfortunately that isn't rewarded much, there are only two combi races.

Kostelic would have what it takes to win the overall title. Unfortunately, after his injury in 2012, he hasn't had the form in speed disciplines he had when he won the 2011 World Cup. That's why I don't think his chances to win the overall title are too good. But hopefully he could win the Olympic Gold this year after three silver medals. This will be most likely his last Olympic season.

And a man I'd love to see back on top is Carlo Janka. In his peak, he used to be a winner candidate in all disciplines but slalom. That kind of all-round skiers aren't too common nowadays. Unfortunately he's had health problems and he hasn't won races in two years.

Stan Wawrinka

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
Old 10-27-2013, 02:05 AM   #53
country flag Kolya

Default Re: Alpine Skiing thread - 2013/2014 World Cup begins this weekend

Hirscher
Old 10-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #54
country flag Mateya
Oldteya :o

Mateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond repute

Tina Maze

What a slow start of a season.

Mateya's FAQ: Yes, I'm a girl. Profile pic is me. I watch and play tennis since 13 (1997). I don't play ITFs anymore, I have a job now. MTF-> uncovering my naughty side since 2007.
http://www4.slikomat.com/13/1210/88t-Mateja.jpg
Slovenia's finest: Grega ˇemlja, Alja˛ Bedene, Bla˛ Kavčič; An˛e Kopitar, Goran Dragič, TINA MAZE, Melanija Trump, Mateja *********.
SLOVENIA - small but extremely dangerous.
Umag > Roland Garros
WTA tour
Nothing in life is NID.
Mateya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #55
country flag dinkulpus
-_-

dinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love watching alpine skiing

Svindal just took a win in Lake Louis in Canada

Tennis Tipping 2014

Singles : 125 (Best 88) - QF Auckland, QF Houston
Doubles : 72 (Best 65) - Won Sao Paulo, SF Rome, SF Chennai, SF Buenos Aires, SF Queens (with stbanchile) SF Umag (with kr1s17an) Won : Cordeones CH (with Freak3yman84)

Finals CH

Singles : 3:3
Doubles : 10:6 (ATP 1:0)
dinkulpus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:12 PM   #56
country flag FormerRafaFan

FormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond repute

YAAAAAAY! Aksel Lund Svindal is AWESOME!

Also supporting known chokers Verdasco, Lopez and Monaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbERR View Post
Verdasco was their cheerleader, number one mascot.
They let him play tennis once after they saw his "consistency is everything" advertisement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JarkaFish View Post
Joke thread? Kohlschreiber clowns this servebot in 3.
Maybe 4 or 5 if he wants to get more of a workout in.
FormerRafaFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #57
country flag August

A win and a 4th place, a good weekend for Svidal. But he needs these if he wants to win the overall WC. Having only six races in SG, his best discipline, hurts his campaign.

Ligety was a disappointment yesterday. I've heard commentators saying his goal is the overall WC. And the guy with most gold medals from last year's Worlds should almost be the favourite for it. But, his problem is that he can constantly race for wins only in GS. He's dangerous in SG, as shown by his World Ch'ship and three top 10 results in last year's World Cup. But the low number of SGs and GSs don't help him, and he can't afford having SGs like yesterday. And he was a decent slalom skier years ago, unfortunately he's nowadays a top 20 slalom skier with only one top 10 result last year.

Stan Wawrinka

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
Old 12-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #58
country flag bokehlicious
♥ eve ♥

bokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond repute

bokehlicious is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #59
country flag Mateya
Oldteya :o

Mateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokehlicious View Post

Is the pissed off man a bus driver?

Mateya's FAQ: Yes, I'm a girl. Profile pic is me. I watch and play tennis since 13 (1997). I don't play ITFs anymore, I have a job now. MTF-> uncovering my naughty side since 2007.
http://www4.slikomat.com/13/1210/88t-Mateja.jpg
Slovenia's finest: Grega ˇemlja, Alja˛ Bedene, Bla˛ Kavčič; An˛e Kopitar, Goran Dragič, TINA MAZE, Melanija Trump, Mateja *********.
SLOVENIA - small but extremely dangerous.
Umag > Roland Garros
WTA tour
Nothing in life is NID.
Mateya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #60
country flag August

Bode Miller is doing a great comeback! Yesterday he was having a good run in SG in Beaver Creek but made a mistake that cost a lot of time. Today he was 2nd in a GS dominated by Ted Ligety. Ligety had a good weekend, he was 5th in yesterday's SG.

Svindal had a decent weekend, won the DH, 7th in SG, and 11th in GS. But I don't think that's necessarily enough for the overall title. He was doing better last year and still couldn't win it. Hirscher seems to be winning most of the slaloms and finishing on podium in the rest of SLs and GSs. Right now Svindal is leading the overall cup and Ligety is 2nd. Ligety needs to keep his SG form from Beaver Creek, but I've understood it was quite a technical SG. And he needs to improve his SL to win the overall title. And the beginning of the season has had mostly speed events, so Hirscher will come. Next weekend there will be this season's 2nd slalom and 3rd GS, after that I'll make a World Cup prediction based on the percentage of races in each discipline.

One skier that surprised me positively this weekend was Carlo Janka. In yesterday's SG he was 11th and today, with a start number 68, he was 6th. He's really one of my favourites, and I want to see him doing well again.

Stan Wawrinka

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga