Youngsters in Top 150 (Ranking Discussion) - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #31
country flag Ouragan

Ouragan has a reputation beyond reputeOuragan has a reputation beyond reputeOuragan has a reputation beyond reputeOuragan has a reputation beyond reputeOuragan has a reputation beyond reputeOuragan has a reputation beyond reputeOuragan has a reputation beyond reputeOuragan has a reputation beyond reputeOuragan has a reputation beyond reputeOuragan has a reputation beyond reputeOuragan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Youngsters in Top 150 (Ranking Discussion)

With 2011 year-end rankings in brackets. I'd say only Raonic, Klizan, Goffin, Janowicz and Pella have improved their rankings dramatically.

13 (31) Raonic 21
20 (25) Nishikori 22
29 (117) Klizan 23
43 (95) Paire 23
44 (174) Goffin 21
48 (42) Tomic 20
50 (76) Dimitrov 21
65 (79) Harrison 20
67 (221) Janowicz 21
71 (169) Kuznetsov 21
90 (165) Bedene 23
91 (125) Berankis 22
92 (237) Rufin 22
94 (192) Sousa 23
109 (346) Pella 22
123 (208) Pospisil 22
124 (144) Donskoy 22
131 (166) Delbonis 22
132 (172) Elias 21
137 (81) Stebe 22
144 (182) Ignatik 22
146 (220) Cervantes 22
Ouragan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #32
country flag sexybeast

sexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post
It's funny how the phrase "i disagree" have turned into - "That's bullshit"

OK, BS it is, let your comments be the holy truth.

It is one hell of a bad argument, the whole deal about medicine like if 30-year olds would ever stop a young talented player at his early 20s to force his way into the top. Remove Federer, Haas, Davydenko and every other player at their early 30s and you still have players way outside the top at mid 20s like Almagro, Gasquet and Tipsarevic destroying these failed youngsters.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:55 PM   #33
country flag ciprianned

ciprianned has a reputation beyond reputeciprianned has a reputation beyond reputeciprianned has a reputation beyond reputeciprianned has a reputation beyond reputeciprianned has a reputation beyond reputeciprianned has a reputation beyond reputeciprianned has a reputation beyond reputeciprianned has a reputation beyond reputeciprianned has a reputation beyond reputeciprianned has a reputation beyond reputeciprianned has a reputation beyond repute

This topic is one of mai favourites !
Old 10-29-2012, 01:28 AM   #34
country flag Pirata.
the pirate queen.

Pirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
I think that's just an excuse. Ok, the tour is more physical, and then you have 30+ yr old veterans who suffered more injuries than a pro superbike driver, like Hewitt, Haas, Denko, and even recently Robredo and Pashanski almost all doing better than the bunch of 20 yr olds. Tomic getting tired after one match and so on.
That's because they have plenty of experience in fitness and winning matches as opposed to the youngsters. Tomic gets tired after one match but guys like Ferrero, Hewitt, even after injuries, have plenty of match experience, mental game, so they don't tire easily.
verdasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:32 AM   #35
country flag Topspindoctor

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirata. View Post
That's because they have plenty of experience in fitness and winning matches as opposed to the youngsters. Tomic gets tired after one match but guys like Ferrero, Hewitt, even after injuries, have plenty of match experience, mental game, so they don't tire easily.
At 20y/o you should be close to your physical peak. Getting tired after a couple of best of 3 matches is pathetic and no excuse for Tomug who is touted a future dominant force. Unless he plans to compete on the WTA tour in the future, he should man up and devote some time to fitness training, I don't buy it that 30+ year old Ferrer can grind like crazy, while 20y/o Tomug gets "tired". Maybe he picked a wrong career, Darts or chess would be more up his alley.

True legends of the game

Nadal = GOAT

2004-2007 = Weakest era in tennis
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:43 AM   #36
country flag stebs

stebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond repute

I think such a big absence of very good players who are also very young has to be explained by the conjunction of chance and something more. The chance aspect is the simple fact that there don't seem to be any 'exceptional' players in the 19-22 age range right now, which is rare. IMO, it is implausible that a player with the ability of young Hewitt, Safin, Federer, Roddick, Nadal, Djokovic, Murray etc... would be stopped from reaching the top 10 by some fact about the evolution of tennis. I just don't see change to any degree that suggests their abilities would somehow be especially stunted by conditions. On the other hand, such a huge deviation from history seems implausible without some substantive explanation. I'm not sure what the real explanation is, but I do certainly think the 'youngsters are too spoiled' argument which I see here and there is a dreadful one. Unless there is a piece of statistical evidence which points toward a decline of youngsters A) Beginning to learn how to play tennis, or B) Undergoing intensive tennis training once some appearance of 'talent' has been co-located with a high motivation, I don't buy it. I actually think many fans underestimate the degree of desire that many of these players have (including many of the young ones), when it's not there, it shows up far more than when it is there (which is, imo, the more usual attitude of professionals).
Old 10-29-2012, 01:50 AM   #37
country flag J99

J99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
Just fixed the formatting Juraj and will be interesting to see who will make it through. For the most part besides Nishikori, Dimitrov and Tomic the others haven't been massively overhyped. Some try and overhype Harrison .
Wouldn't Milos be in the overhype category?

To address the thread, remember that at the beginning of 2011 Milos was an unknown low ranked player, now he's the top young player in the world, nobody saw it coming that he would be the best young gun, so just letting everyone know that anything can happen in tennis, we just don't know what could be around the corner, who the next Milos will be, so don't say that these young guys aren't/won't be very good.

It's hard for me to say who could be the next Milos or Nishikori, right now for me I like Stebe, when he's on he's quite good indeed, the issue with him is he makes too many errors right now, if he can sort this out he could be a top player.

TT stats site: http://mtftt.info/

Melzer, Rafa, Fognini, Murray, Pospisil, Ferrer, Haas, Dolgopolov, Almagro, Janowicz, Kohlschreiber, plus a lot more, mostly, if not all clay courters.

Last edited by J99 : 10-29-2012 at 03:26 AM.
J99 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:55 AM   #38
country flag stebs

stebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirata. View Post
I know he's a very naturally gifted athlete but Nadal was winning matches 7-6 in the fifth at 18. Hewit won 19 of the first 20 matches he played in the year he turned 19. I'm not saying the game hasn't become more physical, only that it is totally implausible that an elite athlete emerging now would be unable to cope with the physical demands of the tour. Perhaps they would show greater degrees of tiredness at times, but not such that they couldn't make a splash. This could be shown by winning tournaments, demonstrating technical superiority to players ranked around the 8-15 mark, which imo, the youngsters I've seen certainly haven't done. An example of this would be Gasquet. His combination of skills wasn't necessarily suited to actually becoming a #1 (by skills I mean mental and technical, Gasquet has serious flaws in both areas by world class standards), but still, he demonstrated the quality that a player with obvious top 10 potential can demonstrate. We're getting used to things happening slowly right now, waiting for somebody to develop. The past has bought us lots of players for whom we barely had to wait, they rather forced themselves into the tennis world's spotlight with clear signs of brilliance, beating top 10 players, winning tournaments etc... It is a strange and worrying situation in my opinion.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:30 AM   #39
country flag Beta2k

Beta2k has a reputation beyond reputeBeta2k has a reputation beyond reputeBeta2k has a reputation beyond reputeBeta2k has a reputation beyond reputeBeta2k has a reputation beyond reputeBeta2k has a reputation beyond reputeBeta2k has a reputation beyond reputeBeta2k has a reputation beyond reputeBeta2k has a reputation beyond reputeBeta2k has a reputation beyond reputeBeta2k has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurajCrane View Post
Teenagers in ATP rankings

214 Guillherme Clezar (Brazil) - 19 years old
263 Jiri Vesely (Czech Republic) - 19 years old
282 Jason Kubler (Australia) - 19 years old
334 Jozef Kovalik (Slovakia) - 19 years old
335 Taro Daniel (Japan) - 19 years old
340 Benjamin Mitchell (Australia) - 19 years old
341 Dominic Thiem (Austria) - 19 years old
367 Suk Young Jeong (South Korea) - 19 years old
375 Luke Saville (Australia) - 18 years old - first player younger than 19
412 Thiago Monteiro (Brazil) - 18 years old - second player younger than 19
421 Oliver Golding (Great Britain) - 19 years old

Another "under 19" :
451 Adam Pavlasek (Czech Republic) - 18 years old, Petra Kvitova´s boyfriend
554 David Perez Sanz (Spain) - 18 years old

Rankings are as of 22.10.2012.
please see also this post for ATP rankings of players younger than born 1993:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...5&postcount=74
Beta2k is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:32 AM   #40
country flag Adri89

Adri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond repute

Kyle Edmund (1995) won a Future last week. I guess he's the first player under 18 to do it (Nishioka lost a final this year also, Quinzi from 1996 did two SFs)
Adri89 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:10 AM   #41
country flag Sombrerero loco

Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, you are right congrats kyle

Jerzy Janowicz/Bernard the aTomic /Thanasi Kokkinakis/Kei Nishikori

John Millman / Javier Martí/Taro Daniel-Jules Marie-Josh Milton

Henkka Kontinen
-Nick Kyrgios-Henri Laaksonen- Attila Balazs- Pierre Hugues Herbert-Alex Bolt-Marcus Willis-Kristijan Mesaros-Berankis-Chris Rungkat-Piotr Gadomski-Kike Lopez-Perez
www.tennisalternative.com
Sombrerero loco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:42 AM   #42
country flag JurajCrane

JurajCrane has a reputation beyond reputeJurajCrane has a reputation beyond reputeJurajCrane has a reputation beyond reputeJurajCrane has a reputation beyond reputeJurajCrane has a reputation beyond reputeJurajCrane has a reputation beyond reputeJurajCrane has a reputation beyond reputeJurajCrane has a reputation beyond reputeJurajCrane has a reputation beyond reputeJurajCrane has a reputation beyond reputeJurajCrane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta2k View Post
Great work

Dustin Brown - Nick Kyrgios - Norbert Gombos - Stanislas Wawrinka - Dominic Thiem
JurajCrane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:16 PM   #43
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

Edmund is a great prospect. I believe that he will be GB's next big thing.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #44
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta2k View Post
Thanks for that post, I will put it in the OP.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #45
country flag 3c273

3c273 has a reputation beyond repute3c273 has a reputation beyond repute3c273 has a reputation beyond repute3c273 has a reputation beyond repute3c273 has a reputation beyond repute3c273 has a reputation beyond repute3c273 has a reputation beyond repute3c273 has a reputation beyond repute3c273 has a reputation beyond repute3c273 has a reputation beyond repute3c273 has a reputation beyond repute
Default ATP's highest ranking teenager now

with Tomic turned 20 days ago, there is no teenager left in ATP top 200, just checked dozens of players out of 200, still no one in sight , anybody know ?
3c273 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote