Bernard Tomic at 20, slamless and title-less. - Page 8 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-30-2012, 07:29 AM   #106
country flag MuzzahLovah

MuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bernard Tomic at 20, slamless and title-less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J99 View Post
His main issue is his whole approach to the game.

I have a feeling he will always be a more defensive player and not really have any weapons and base his game around his slice BH.
Yep. I don't really get it- he seems to want to play a certain style but without like the tools. You have to be quick with good reflexes to play cat and mouse, and he's really not. He has the movement of Del Potro. But then a lot of players have have their strategic issues, like Gasquet and Monfils

Emperor Nishikori- King of Comeback- Slayer of Demons- Champion of Tokyo- Conquistador of Barcelona
MuzzahLovah is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 12:13 AM   #107
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
it's logical that he's paranoid and feels the whole world is centered on him considering what the media make of him and facing that at a young age.
There are guys who are younger and get a more attention from the public/media but they're still grounded. Not an excuse.
BauerAlmeida is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:25 AM   #108
country flag BackhandDTL

BackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by J99 View Post
The people who are saying that Tomic is a really smart tennis player don't know that they are talking about, I'm kind of tired of hearing this cause it's just not true, he's one of the dumbest young players I have seen, Raonic and Nishikori are both smarter, I don't know what they are seeing when Tomic plays his matches, but I'm seeing a guy who doesn't know what he's doing out there, if however you mean that Tomic's natural instincts are good, then maybe that's true, but he doesn't know how to play a match from a tactics standpoint at all. Dimitrov is better right now than Tomic for sure, there is no doubt about this, anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what they are talking about. Can't believe there are still people who think he will be a future great player as of right now, cause as of the moment he looks shit.
For the record, repeating "They don't know what they are talking about" does not constitute a legitimate argument. You're actually not saying anything substantive here.

The fact is, if Tomic didn't have a decent mind for tennis, he wouldn't have had any success on tour up to this point. As it stands, he's a poor mover with no great weapons. His serve is mediocre for someone of his height, his forehand can't hold up against most players, and he rarely uses his backhand to its potential. Oh, and if that wasn't enough, his attitude also appears to be complete shit.

Unless you're prepared to refute any of that, we're not left with much else to determine his success.

So what are we left with? The one outstanding aspect of his game, as of now, is his craft, or, as MTF likes to dumb it down as, "pushing". But without the sense to use it properly, it would mean nothing (as he has proven of late), because the more physical and/or experienced players would exploit his general shortcomings every time. Bernard, in his best efforts on tour to date (most notably AO '12 and Wimbledon '11) demonstrated the ability to compete with players by way of constructing points around his strengths; he used his head.

Congruently, his recent collapse can be largely contributed to the downward spiral that has been his life, "extracurricular activities", attitude, or whatever you want to sum it up as. A tactical player can't thrive if his head is stuck up his ass. That's Bernard's current problem, but it doesn't make him a generally stupid player.
BackhandDTL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:26 AM   #109
country flag Consigliere

Consigliere has a reputation beyond reputeConsigliere has a reputation beyond reputeConsigliere has a reputation beyond reputeConsigliere has a reputation beyond reputeConsigliere has a reputation beyond reputeConsigliere has a reputation beyond reputeConsigliere has a reputation beyond reputeConsigliere has a reputation beyond reputeConsigliere has a reputation beyond reputeConsigliere has a reputation beyond reputeConsigliere has a reputation beyond repute

sounds like nothing no different from most young guys mucking around having a scuffle. the scrutiny on bernard is probably too much but he does bring it on himself a little.
Consigliere is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote