ELO Ratings - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-25-2012, 09:36 PM   #16
country flag amirbachar

amirbachar has a reputation beyond reputeamirbachar has a reputation beyond reputeamirbachar has a reputation beyond reputeamirbachar has a reputation beyond reputeamirbachar has a reputation beyond reputeamirbachar has a reputation beyond reputeamirbachar has a reputation beyond reputeamirbachar has a reputation beyond reputeamirbachar has a reputation beyond reputeamirbachar has a reputation beyond reputeamirbachar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ELO Ratings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
What happened to clay rankings? Suddenly average rating for top-100 is several hundred points higher than anywhere else.
On clay, the favorites tend to win more matches since the serve has less impact. It's a mathematical property of the points system in tennis.

Last edited by amirbachar : 10-26-2012 at 01:32 PM.
amirbachar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #17
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirbachar View Post
On clay, the favorites tend to win more matches since the serve has less impact. It's a mathematical property of the points system in tennis.
Not really. Nadal and Borg has a higher percentage won on clay than anyone else on any court. But they are the only ones. Federer, for instance, has 83,3% won on hardcourt (530-106) and 77,1% won on clay (178-53). Yet his clay score is much higher than his hardcourt score. Something is amiss here.
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:05 PM   #18
country flag amirbachar

amirbachar has a reputation beyond reputeamirbachar has a reputation beyond reputeamirbachar has a reputation beyond reputeamirbachar has a reputation beyond reputeamirbachar has a reputation beyond reputeamirbachar has a reputation beyond reputeamirbachar has a reputation beyond reputeamirbachar has a reputation beyond reputeamirbachar has a reputation beyond reputeamirbachar has a reputation beyond reputeamirbachar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not really. Nadal and Borg has a higher percentage won on clay than anyone else on any court. But they are the only ones. Federer, for instance, has 83,3% won on hardcourt (530-106) and 77,1% won on clay (178-53). Yet his clay score is much higher than his hardcourt score. Something is amiss here.
There is no point in comparing Federer's ratings on clay and on hard, as they are on a different scale.
The ratings may only be used to calculate probabilities within the same surface.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #19
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
There is no point in comparing Federer's ratings on clay and on hard, as they are on a different scale.
The ratings may only be used to calculate probabilities within the same surface.
OK, if you're satisfied then I'm not complaining. I'm only trying to be helpful and probably not very good at it. Just compare your current clay ranking with your all time high one and see if there's not potential for improvement somewhere. There is basically noone currently within 600 points of their PB.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #20
country flag amirbachar

Quote:
OK, if you're satisfied then I'm not complaining. I'm only trying to be helpful and probably not very good at it. Just compare your current clay ranking with your all time high one and see if there's not potential for improvement somewhere. There is basically noone currently within 600 points of their PB.
First of all, I really appreciate your help.
About the peak ratings, they were calculated using different method. I guess I should update them, because otherwise, there are not a source for compassion... Hopefully I will do that tomorrow.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:39 PM   #21
country flag Pratik

Pratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond repute

Great Work!
Ever thought of doing the same for indoor/outdoor?

The thing I find really tough to digest in this is Borg at 18 on clay! Moreover, he has almost the same rating as DelPotro
Pratik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #22
country flag G.100sic

G.100sic has a reputation beyond reputeG.100sic has a reputation beyond reputeG.100sic has a reputation beyond reputeG.100sic has a reputation beyond reputeG.100sic has a reputation beyond reputeG.100sic has a reputation beyond reputeG.100sic has a reputation beyond reputeG.100sic has a reputation beyond reputeG.100sic has a reputation beyond reputeG.100sic has a reputation beyond reputeG.100sic has a reputation beyond repute

How do you treat matches where one of the players retires during the match? And what about matches with walkovers?
G.100sic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:28 PM   #23
country flag amirbachar

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.100sic View Post
How do you treat matches where one of the players retires during the match? And what about matches with walkovers?
Every set that has started counts, there for ret. in the middle of a set counts as a loss of the set, and walkovers don't count at all.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #24
country flag G.100sic

G.100sic has a reputation beyond reputeG.100sic has a reputation beyond reputeG.100sic has a reputation beyond reputeG.100sic has a reputation beyond reputeG.100sic has a reputation beyond reputeG.100sic has a reputation beyond reputeG.100sic has a reputation beyond reputeG.100sic has a reputation beyond reputeG.100sic has a reputation beyond reputeG.100sic has a reputation beyond reputeG.100sic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Every set that has started counts, there for ret. in the middle of a set counts as a loss of the set, and walkovers don't count at all.
Yeah, my idea exactly the same.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:08 AM   #25
country flag Rafter_forever

Rafter_forever has a reputation beyond reputeRafter_forever has a reputation beyond reputeRafter_forever has a reputation beyond reputeRafter_forever has a reputation beyond reputeRafter_forever has a reputation beyond reputeRafter_forever has a reputation beyond reputeRafter_forever has a reputation beyond reputeRafter_forever has a reputation beyond reputeRafter_forever has a reputation beyond reputeRafter_forever has a reputation beyond reputeRafter_forever has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't know the ELO system, I've a couple of questions from ignorance ..
What means the date on the right of the score?
Is there any way to use another factor depending on the round and the tournament to be played? Not the sama a 1R of Halle that a Wimbledon final ..

Thanks and great job

ROGER FEDERER JUAN MARTÍN DEL POTRO

NEW ERA OF TENNIS
Bernard Tomic Nick Kyrgios Thanasi Kokkinakis

Novak Djokovic - Stan Wawrinka - Richard Gasquet - Fabio Fognini - Jerzy Janowicz - Grigor Dimitrov - Benoit Paire - Igor Sijsling - Ivo Karlovic - Lukasz Kubot - Jiri Vesely - Guido Pella - Daniel Evans - Michael Llodra - Rhyne Williams - Others
All Aussies
Lleyton Hewitt
Rafter_forever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:52 AM   #26
country flag G.100sic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafter_forever View Post
I didn't know the ELO system, I've a couple of questions from ignorance ..
What means the date on the right of the score?
Is there any way to use another factor depending on the round and the tournament to be played? Not the sama a 1R of Halle that a Wimbledon final ..

Thanks and great job
I took the liberty of answering this...
Since those are peak rank lists, I suppose that the date is the date when the actual peak rating was achieved by that player.
As for the second question...
Elo rating system is all about head-to-head performance. No pressure factors like tournament size and value, or at which stage of the tournament is a match played are taken into account.

And Elo system is named after its inventor, Arpad Elo, a person, so it is not an acronym.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #27

Rafter_forever has a reputation beyond reputeRafter_forever has a reputation beyond reputeRafter_forever has a reputation beyond reputeRafter_forever has a reputation beyond reputeRafter_forever has a reputation beyond reputeRafter_forever has a reputation beyond reputeRafter_forever has a reputation beyond reputeRafter_forever has a reputation beyond reputeRafter_forever has a reputation beyond reputeRafter_forever has a reputation beyond reputeRafter_forever has a reputation beyond repute

jaja, Yes, the first question I understood then make it..

Second, yes, I know that, but my question is if changing the original system could be made. For example, changing the K factor

NEW ERA OF TENNIS

Novak Djokovic - Stan Wawrinka - Richard Gasquet - Fabio Fognini - Jerzy Janowicz - Grigor Dimitrov - Benoit Paire - Igor Sijsling - Ivo Karlovic - Lukasz Kubot - Jiri Vesely - Guido Pella - Daniel Evans - Michael Llodra - Rhyne Williams - Others
All Aussies
Lleyton Hewitt
Old 11-08-2012, 08:38 AM   #28
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Quote:

Second, yes, I know that, but my question is if changing the original system could be made. For example, changing the K factor
Easy. In Chess, where the Elo system originated, there are lots of different Ks. No problem whatsoever, if you want this. OP obviously doesn't.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #29
country flag G.100sic

Quote:

Of course that it is possible, but why, what's the point doing that in Elo system?!
Official ranking system already does that, and this is the other way to measure performance.
And as amirbachar pointed out, this system gives better predictability of head-to-head accounts.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:10 AM   #30

Quote:
Easy. In Chess, where the Elo system originated, there are lots of different Ks. No problem whatsoever, if you want this. OP obviously doesn't.
Thanks, the issue is that should recalculate everything, but would be cool, there are limits to the value of K?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.100sic View Post
Of course that it is possible, but why, what's the point doing that in Elo system?!
Official ranking system already does that, and this is the other way to measure performance.
And as amirbachar pointed out, this system gives better predictability of head-to-head accounts.
Easy, I don´t know much about chees, but tennis not is like other sport like boxing for example, because many times, the top players use some tournamentes as preparation for Grand Slam on M1000, and many times they lose matchs that they would not lose in other tournaments..

NEW ERA OF TENNIS

All Aussies
Lleyton Hewitt