A serious discussion on the term MUG and the negativity that surronds MTF atm. :(. - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-15-2012, 05:18 PM   #16
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A serious discussion on the term MUG and the negativity that surronds MTF atm. :(

A great portion of users here at MTF are extremely disrespectful towards tennis pros.. I mean I doubt they even have an idea of what it takes to even be top 500 in the world, let alone being the top 100. Many of these people probably haven't even picked up a racket, much less visited a tournament, so what can you expect? Of course you can't expect everyone to love every pro player, because yes, they all have different playing styles and personalities, so naturally we like some players more than others, and we may even loathe certain players, but that doesn't justify showing disrespect towards them unless there is justification (like bieng a doper, cheater, etc).

However, one thing I will ALWAYS point out when posters are disrespecting other players, especially ones that are rivals to their favorites, are only hurting their favorite player's image... For example, when a Noletard calls Federer a mug/clown/joke whatever, it only makes it "embarassing" in a way for Nole to lose against Federer then, isn't it? Your favorite player just got beat by a player you think is a mug/clown and has better stats then you.. Regardless, long story short, many MTF members are hypocritical up the ass. However, you will still find plenty of objective and reasonable posters here.

So yes, OP, your point obviously makes sense, but we are on the internet, anyone can say anything. Being anonymous helps with that... I mean imagine you take all these members here at MTF that love to disrespect players and place them in a room with the top 100 ATP pros for example. Now let's see who will open their mouth.
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #17
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A serious discussion on the term MUG and the negativity that surronds MTF atm. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
I mean imagine you take all these members here at MTF that love to disrespect players and place them in a room with the top 100 ATP pros for example. Now let's see who will open their mouth.
Let's see. Are Nalbandian, Granollers and Hewitt gonna be in the room ? Yep, doomed.
Slasher1985 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:48 PM   #18
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher1985 View Post
Let's see. Are Nalbandian, Granollers and Hewitt gonna be in the room ? Yep, doomed.
Regardless, even if someone did open their mouth and say something disrespectfully, I doubt those ATP players wouldn't band together to defend each other. Some may not like each other perhaps, but they still have respect for one another, and they know that other players only add to their status in the game..
Old 10-15-2012, 06:23 PM   #19
country flag Vinceremo

Vinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with a lot of the things that have been said by the thread starter but, in all honesty, i believe that way in which many posters make fun of some players and use the word 'mug' isn't really the main cause and reason why there's that negative vibe specially in GM. I don't want to write too much about it because i'm almost sure it has been discussed but, imo, those extreme cases of raging posters/fans of the players in the top 4 that lead to many pointless discussions are definitely a big, big reason of why it sometimes feels like the forum is being bringed down with negativity. I'm not referring to the guys that mock around with it and joke about it and about some results (trolling), but more referring to some posters that are just plain irrational when it comes to glorifying the player they mainly support and just come off as annoying fanboys or fangirls. At least I know they bore me to death and i'm sure i'm not alone. That regarding the negativity though and not much more.

About the term mug I understand and agree it's something that gets old and is, in fact, disrespectful in a way but, more than that, more than it being disrespectful (since it's used more in a joking manner) i feel that it just lowers the chances of opening a door to speak more about the sport, more about the matches and just everything that surrounds tennis in general, no? So yes like some already pointed out, it sort of brings the level of the discussion down to say it in a way. It would be better if there was more of a balance because i don't think having two extremes would help either (super serious tennis discussions or pure clown threads). A bit of joking, trolling even name calling or whatever isn't too terrible to have in a forum, not at all since it happens in almost every competitive sport really, i'm fine with it and it is indeed even fun to read at times but yes, it's true that it has to tone down for sure. I think it would help.
Vinceremo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #20
country flag Sophitia36

Sophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond repute

As someone who arrived recently, I agree with the OP. I'm staying here mostly because it's by far the most active and the best organized tennis forum I've found. But I'm also very disappointed in the general atmosphere on this forum.

I understand that a forum is not necessarily meant to be "serious", or politically correct all the time. I may not be very funny myself but I enjoy reading funny posts even when they get completely crazy (like the infamous David Pics Ferrer thread, for instance).
I also enjoy debate, I don't mind if discussions get a little heated.
But still, the amount of negativity is atrocious. A lot of people just seem to be around to bash players they don't like and to play silly games of "boooo! your player lost! you're so laaaaame!" etc.
Almost every discussion ends up getting drowned in pointless bickering between haters and -tards.

It's pity because there are some very knowledgeable people here, and I enjoy reading their posts and learning things. I've also found some cool people through the forum and in particular the player forums. But overall, yes, I am a little disappointed.
Sophitia36 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #21
country flag Kowchi

Kowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond repute

Well discussed, appreciate it. Now I definitely agree those Ferrer Pics can be damn hilarious XD, but the insistent hate banter is what gets things down.

I'm glad to see other members feel the same way. I hope these members can maintain this respectful, yet insightful attitude . Kudos
Kowchi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:46 PM   #22
country flag tennizen

tennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond repute

Tennis is entertainment - we are watching action at a distance, the players like you say are working hard and hardly care about what gets said about them on some forum- what we are doing here is mostly entertaining ourselves. It is serious business for the pros- not for us.

It is perfectly possible to ignore what you consider hate banter and no one will ever close your threads down if you want to indulge in serious discussion. Some people (like duong for example) do it relentlessly whether they find encouragement from the rest or not.

Trying to get a large,diverse group of people to conform to your idea of respect and positivity is a completely pointless task.

Also love how most of the people who responded in this thread exclude themselves as if they have no role whatsoever in how this forum shaped up.
“But even so, amid the tornadoed Atlantic of my being, do I myself still for ever centrally disport in mute calm; and while ponderous planets of unwaning woe revolve round me, deep down and deep inland there I still bathe me in eternal mildness of joy.” - Melville, Moby Dick
tennizen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #23
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

I think it was established a long time ago that this was the Mugs Tennis Forums.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:51 PM   #24
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

I try to discuss tennis. I fail.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:31 PM   #25
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

It's interesting how the initial question has derived from "negativity and violence" to "entertainment vs seriousness".

I ignored that one could find violence and negativity entertaining. In real life I rather thought that these things hurt people rather than entertain them

Actually I wondered about the opposite, that violence could be inherent to competitive tennis itself, I hadn't understood it was rather inherent to "entertainment".

This is a fundamental question I had wondered for long : here people are supposed to know tennis much better than me, as they probably practise tennis and play small competitions, which I don't ... and this is the result. Hence this question : was this violence just an image of the inherent violence inside this sport ? After all, many people have compared tennis with boxing, and the "bend over", "pigeons" ... comments seem to just be part of the tennis players' vocabulary. I thought it was a part of this sport which I actually missed completely because I didn't know this sport enough.

Now I read something different : no it's not the reason for that "MTF nature", it's rather that negativity and violence are "entertaining" in forums ... oh the joy and pleasure of the ACC and other trashing debates !

It's human nature, not tennis nature, thanks for this answer to my fundamental question.

Last edited by duong : 10-15-2012 at 11:36 PM.
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:44 PM   #26
country flag kinski76
Humor is reason gone mad

kinski76 has a reputation beyond reputekinski76 has a reputation beyond reputekinski76 has a reputation beyond reputekinski76 has a reputation beyond reputekinski76 has a reputation beyond reputekinski76 has a reputation beyond reputekinski76 has a reputation beyond reputekinski76 has a reputation beyond reputekinski76 has a reputation beyond reputekinski76 has a reputation beyond reputekinski76 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowchi View Post
Over the internet it is easy to say nasty things, but in real life ....
Well yes, the apparent 'freedom' (largely imaginary, but that's a wholly different discussion) which the internet seems to offer is one of its main appeals. It's a welcome break from the rigidity, restrictions and boundaries of real life and everyday social interactions. By and of itself there's obviously nothing wrong with that. How people approach and exercise this 'freedom' obviously varies. Some people think that the relative anonymity of the internet provides a license to act like complete asstards, because they know there'll be no actual consequences to suffer. To them, the 'think before you speak' adage holds little or no meaning in a latter-day internet climate.

While I personally try to make a point of not posting anything online that I wouldn't have the courage to repeat to anybody's face, I do keep in mind that MTF is a very heterogenic place. As such, it's difficult to draw the line: what ruffles one person's feathers may come across as a complete trifle to another. Expecting such a diverse group to conform to a common standard of etiquette is impossible. Some may view the 'negativity' (such as the nicknames assigned to certain players or other famous examples of MTF lingo) as nothing more than the display of a cynical sense of humour. I don't care for the names who openly imply doping/fixing, but even some of those are simply offered in jest and probably without malicious intent. I do believe a certain disconnectedness (as in not allowing yourself to become too riled up by faceless individuals hiding behind random aliases and avatars) is necessary when engaging with strangers online. Replying to/quoting only the people whose input you actually find interesting, constructive and/or contributing to the topic at hand, while ignoring the vitriolic claptrap offered by obvious trolls and hatemongers (as hard as that may be sometimes) is also a fruitful tactic.

I deleted your avatar because it was extremely inappropriate and not appreciated.
Why did it take 300 years to give the giant tortoise a scientific name?

kinski76 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:40 AM   #27
country flag EliSter

EliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
A great portion of users here at MTF are extremely disrespectful towards tennis pros.. I mean I doubt they even have an idea of what it takes to even be top 500 in the world, let alone being the top 100. Many of these people probably haven't even picked up a racket, much less visited a tournament, so what can you expect? Of course you can't expect everyone to love every pro player, because yes, they all have different playing styles and personalities, so naturally we like some players more than others, and we may even loathe certain players, but that doesn't justify showing disrespect towards them unless there is justification (like bieng a doper, cheater, etc).

However, one thing I will ALWAYS point out when posters are disrespecting other players, especially ones that are rivals to their favorites, are only hurting their favorite player's image... For example, when a Noletard calls Federer a mug/clown/joke whatever, it only makes it "embarassing" in a way for Nole to lose against Federer then, isn't it? Your favorite player just got beat by a player you think is a mug/clown and has better stats then you.. Regardless, long story short, many MTF members are hypocritical up the ass. However, you will still find plenty of objective and reasonable posters here.

So yes, OP, your point obviously makes sense, but we are on the internet, anyone can say anything. Being anonymous helps with that... I mean imagine you take all these members here at MTF that love to disrespect players and place them in a room with the top 100 ATP pros for example. Now let's see who will open their mouth.
Ah, wise words from one of MTF bigger tards.

BigJohn
EliSter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:06 AM   #28
country flag Kowchi

Kowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond repute

I'm also surprised at how some of the young adults and adults act. I mean most everyone hear is aged 20-40, I just feel maturity levels would increase with age. But some of the things said are just childish. I realize I'm 20; I may act silly and young sometimes, but I can still show respect and be mature.
Kowchi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:16 AM   #29
country flag nick the greek
Banned!

nick the greek has a reputation beyond reputenick the greek has a reputation beyond reputenick the greek has a reputation beyond reputenick the greek has a reputation beyond reputenick the greek has a reputation beyond reputenick the greek has a reputation beyond reputenick the greek has a reputation beyond reputenick the greek has a reputation beyond reputenick the greek has a reputation beyond reputenick the greek has a reputation beyond reputenick the greek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
mug thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak3yman84 View Post
This. The OP is a mug as well
Exactly.
nick the greek is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:18 AM   #30
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowchi View Post
I'm also surprised at how some of the young adults and adults act. I mean most everyone hear is aged 20-40, I just feel maturity levels would increase with age. But some of the things said are just childish. I realize I'm 20; I may act silly and young sometimes, but I can still show respect and be mature.
fast_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote