2012 Man of the Year – Who's had the most memorable season? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2012 Man of the Year – Who's had the most memorable season?

I already mentioned this in the Player of the Year thread. I hope the PoY discussion remains objective comparision of top players' season, but this is the thread for your subjective opinions. Who has impressed you the most this season, who will you remember from this season, who was the Man of the Year? I'll include a poll after DC final, but also possibly have a manual voting where you can vote and rank multiple players, and also doubles players are allowed.

Here are my favourites:

Andy Murray

This has been the year when Murray achieved what (at least British) people had been waiting from him. First he became the first Brit in men's Wimbledon final since 1938. And one month later he played another final in Wimbledon at the Olympics, and this time he won. And one month later at the US Open he became the first British man to win a slam since 1936. He's maybe been the most inconsistent top player, but of top players, he's had the most unforgettable year.

Roger Federer

After 2011, his first season without a slam title since 2003, it looked like he'd hardly win any slams anymore, and even less that he'd become World #1 again. But returned as a slam champion in Wimbledon, and as his early season was on level with Djokovic and Nadal plus his previous indoor season was so great, he also become #1 again, to break the record of weeks as #1 and reach over 300 weeks. Memorable season, yet slightly behind Murray's.

Novak Djokovic

Nole's this season hasn't been as memorable as Murray's and Federer's, even though he's maybe had the best season with one slam title and two slam runner-ups plus four other titles and three other finals. And he's the likely year-end #1. But the great last season has made this season look not so impressive. But it would be wrong not to include him in this list.

Rafael Nadal

Rafa's season probably ended in Wimbledon because of knee injury, but he'd had a great season until then. He had a good early hardcourt season with Australian Open final, and he had once again a great clay season, he won Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Rome, and crowned his clay season with the record-breaking seventh French Open title. Had he been able to continue his season after Wimbledon, he'd probably be ahead of Djokovic in this list because of that historic French Open title.

David Ferrer

David has been playing his best season this year, at the age of 30. He's won five titles, and for the first time in his career, he reach quarterfinals in all slams, and even semis twice. And he'll probably be Spain's lead player in Davis Cup final.

Jonathan Marray
Frederik Nielsen

My fondest memory from this season will probably be these players winning Wimbledon doubles title. They were Challenger players who'd got a wild card to Wimbledon, and they made the most of it. They won an epic five-set final that was both players first on ATP World Tour level. And Jonathan Marray became the first Brit to have won men's doubles Wimbledon title since 1936.

Lukas Rosol

Rosol's season has been quite mediocre, but one match brought him to this list, his Wimbledon 2nd round win over Nadal. Ballbasher like Rosol is maybe the most likely plaer type to win Rafa on grass, but what was so impressive was that how calm Rosol was, considering he was the underdog. He lost tight first set tiebreak, but he didn't give up, he won the nest two sets. Then Rafa needed to win the fourth set and he did it. But Rosol stayed calm, broke at the start of fifth set, and then solidly kept his services to win the match with no signs of choking. And he still has a chance to crown this season by being a member of Davis Cup winning team.

Stan Wawrinka
2014 Australian Open Champion | 2014 Monte Carlo Masters Champion

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
2008 Paris Masters Champion | 2014 Toronto Masters Champion
August is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
country flag Nole Rules

Nole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2012 Man of the Year

Nole Rules is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
country flag Federer in 2

Federer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Felix Baumgartner.

ROGER FEDERER

'Roger Federer is the best ever' - Everyone else other than John McEnroe

4 AO - 1 RG - 7 W - 5 USO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadalfan2013 View Post
Standing ovation for Nadal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadalfan2013 View Post
Standing ovation for Federer. Disgusting.
#NoBiasTho
Federer in 2 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #5
country flag Pratik

Pratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond repute

This has got to be Marray/Nielsen.
Firstly, they were a WC pair who were playing their first tour level tournament together.
Going into Wimbledon, Marray had won just 13 tour level matches and Nielsen had won just 5.(Maybe a few matches plus or minus)
They beat four top 10 teams on their way.
Marray had played just a handful of Bo5 matches in his career, and Nielsen probably none, and they had 4 of their matches go to 5 sets and one to four. For that matter, they would have played hardly any Bo3 matches too.(Most would be match TB)

If somebody accomplished such a run in Singles, it would be the single most historic run in GS history. But, since it happened in doubles, it does not get the "fame" it deserves.
Pratik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #6
country flag Saberq

Saberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond repute

It is between Novak and Roger.Murray is at number 4
Saberq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
country flag BroTree123

BroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond repute

Warlocq.
No words can describe me.
Without me, it would be just aweso.
No shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
Never held a racquet in my life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
I've played the game for close to 10 years. This should come as no surprise to many.

Banned Users
BroTree123 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
country flag uxyzapenje

uxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond repute

1. Rosol - upset of the year and that match will be the most remembered match of 2012;
2. Murray for finally stepping up;
3. Haas for showing you can be a kick-ass player with 34 years of age;
4. Federer for showing that he's not done yet although everyone was writing him off;
5. Ferrer for showing incredible consistency at the top of the game;
6. Tipsarevic for showing everyone his top10 run wasn't a fluke (as everyone though) and staying there for more than a year.

Nole is POY but he's just doing his thing, my list is about people doing the unexpected things and (re)eastablishng themselves. Everyone expected Novak to be the best player this year and he delivered.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #9
country flag Abel

Abel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by uxyzapenje View Post
1. Rosol - upset of the year and that match will be the most remembered match of 2012;
2. Murray for finally stepping up;
3. Haas for showing you can be a kick-ass player with 34 years of age;
4. Federer for showing that he's not done yet although everyone was writing him off;
5. Ferrer for showing incredible consistency at the top of the game;
6. Tipsarevic for showing everyone his top10 run wasn't a fluke (as everyone though) and staying there for more than a year.

Nole is POY but he's just doing his thing, my list is about people doing the unexpected things and (re)eastablishng themselves. Everyone expected Novak to be the best player this year and he delivered.
Hard to argue with this though I'd put Haas at 5 and bump Federer and Ferrer up.
Abel is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote