Implications of Lance Armstrong saga on PED testing procedures - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Do you think athletes should be able to be stripped without failing a test?

Yes, eyewitnesses are good enough evidence 0 0%
No, it sets a dangerous precident for the future, the tests are their system 1 50.00%
I am not sure on this issue 1 50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-14-2012, 01:54 AM   #1
country flag 2003

2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Implications of Lance Armstrong saga on PED testing procedures

Case in point, there is a general consensus Lance Armstrong is guilty of doping.

But doesn't it set a dangerous precident that someone could be stripped of titles without actually failing a test?

Not saying said athlete is innocent, I just worry the message that that sends for the future.

The doping tests is their system. It's their criteria, and I think you get through those tests, thats good enough to keep your titles.

I think LEGALLY sooner or later this will become an issue. Its a moral one but also a burden of proof issue too.

Obviously the tests aren't as good as DNA etc. So does that mean that you could pass a test and actually be innocent? If the testing is foolproof why do you need a B sample?

I would like to see doping cases go to court because then we could actually see how reliable these tests are vs say DNA. How reliable and consistant and qualified the testers are worldwide, and how the risks of contamination vary from country to country, as athletes travel all around the world for testing.

But the side issue is, aside from a confession, does it set a slippery slope for the future to be able to convict someone without failing a test?

It's a lot like a murder case where you have no DNA evidence but eyewitnesses who saw you do it or talk about it. It's compelling, but reasonable doubt would come into the equation in a courtroom setting, where it doesn't so much in a civil type of case, which doping court is more in line with.

What do you guys think? Theres no point in discussing Lance Armstrongs guilt or innocence, there is another thread for that. This is for disucssion about the future of TESTING, how reliable it is vs DNA and similar things, risks of contamination, skill of testers, and whether testing results should now be seen as inferior to eyewitnesses.

What does this mean for me? WE MUST now try dopers in criminal court settings in my opinion. As long as we continue to keep the law out of this ordeal, there will always be too many what ifs for my liking. Doping is ruining sport. It would also mean that people who LIE about their doping and then get proven would recieve a harsher sentence than someone who confesses right away (criminal logic 1.01). The way it is now, you can just deny deny deny and it only hurts your reputation, NOT your freedom. This needs to change.

- Rafael Nadal, ever so "humble", - press conference after shock 4 set loss to Robeen Soderling @ 2009 French Open 4th round.

Proud member of the Anti Dull Alliance
2003 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 01:57 AM   #2
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Implications of Lance Armstrong saga on PED testing procedures

Agreed. The doping issue MUST be decided through fear of being jailed. What does an athlete lose if he gets caught? Titles? Lol. If each and everyone of them knew that if they get caught doping, they'd be locked up with robbers, rapists, pedos, murderers and drug addicts, I bet they would think twice about trying to cheat.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
country flag Fujee

Fujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Agreed. The doping issue MUST be decided through fear of being jailed. What does an athlete lose if he gets caught? Titles? Lol. If each and everyone of them knew that if they get caught doping, they'd be locked up with robbers, rapists, pedos, murderers and drug addicts, I bet they would think twice about trying to cheat.
Jesus, don't ever go into politics Doc'
Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform — and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled.

David Foster Wallace
Fujee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
country flag Echoes

Echoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond repute

1° He failed six positive tests. SIX !

2° There are precidents (sic). David Millar was stripped of his World title without ever failing a test.

So you are little off.
Echoes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:45 AM   #5
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujee View Post
Jesus, don't ever go into politics Doc'
I actually wanted to be a cop when I was a kid. Didn't happen, but probably a good thing since there is so much trash on the streets and red is my favorite color after all.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote