Tsonga: Referees always favor top 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tsonga: Referees always favor top 4

here is the source
http://translate.google.com/translat...318346&act=url

I think he exaggerates a lot here but feel free to discuss this.
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
country flag Jverweij

Jverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tsonga: Referees always favor top 4

I'd put abit of nuance in it if I were Jo, but can't really say he is wrong. The umpires sometimes seem in awe of the top 4. Ofcourse they don't always favor them, but I'd bet alot of money on it happening more often than chance would suggest. Personally I get the feeling the umpires are making alot of mistakes this year anyways, don't know if that is true or not though.
Jverweij is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
country flag hyperren

hyperren has a reputation beyond reputehyperren has a reputation beyond reputehyperren has a reputation beyond reputehyperren has a reputation beyond reputehyperren has a reputation beyond reputehyperren has a reputation beyond reputehyperren has a reputation beyond reputehyperren has a reputation beyond reputehyperren has a reputation beyond reputehyperren has a reputation beyond reputehyperren has a reputation beyond repute

...it's starting to look like Tsonga is looking at every possible excuse for why he's not doing any better than Top 5 or 6 (I remember that "other players are playing more smaller tournaments" excuse a couple of months back). Any excuse apart from admitting he's not playing well enough or consistently enough to get the points or the wins.

HUEY/INGLOT FTW!
TEAM PHILIPPINES: ARCILLA. ALCANTARA. GONZALES. HUEY. PATROMBON.
DJOKOVIC. NADAL. DEL POTRO.
Garcia-Lopez. Monaco. Nieminen.

Berta. Dzumhur. Baluda. Fernandes.

FITD: Current: 42/178 (18.02.13). Peak: 23/178 (08.10.12).
Suicide Tennis: Current: 67/190 (17.03.13). Peak: 53/186 (08.10.12).
hyperren is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:24 PM   #4
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Tsonga is 100% correct, but then again everyone knows that bar extreme tards of those 4 players, it's hardly breaking news. It has been going on at least since 2008, and not only with official decisions (but scheduling and more stuff).

A more interesting bit of his interview is when he says Djokovic is the only player against whom he feels like he needs to be perfect to win big points.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
country flag Adri89

Adri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond repute

Tsonga is just angry about a call during the TB of the Pekin's final.
He said that against Djokovic "his level isn't good enough" to beat him.
I don't think it is an excuse for him, just he doesn't like to lose, and you just can understand this behaviour from champions. Those guys want to be the best, and it's hard to acknowledge that you find better than you.

Tsonga seems right about one point though : if an influent player doesn't like an umpire, it's harder for his career, to be in the big matchs.
Adri89 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #6
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Referees do indeed favour top 4, especially the Mancs.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #7
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

it's the second time he's talked about that.

The first time was after his quarterfinal against Nadal in Miami :

(in French)
http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/Actuali...bitrage/273559

he had complained about the linecalls, that he had to challenge a lot and he was right most of the time and that the umpire (Damian Steiner) never overruled, he said that having this permanent doubt about the bad calls and whether he had to challenge or not had disturbed his concentration.

He had said that except if the case was obvious, the umpire would never overrule against Nadal, contrary to what he would do against another player, because, and that's the important part, if Nadal didn't like the umpire, the umpire would never umpire big matches again .

This time, it's about the decision in the tiebreak, at 3-3 I think, when there was a bad call on a Djokovic's first serve, Djokovic's challenge was good and Lahyani said that Tsonga could not have brought the ball back whereas he had touched it. Tsonga complained a lot about it to Lahyani saying that of course he had been disturbed by the call and he could have brought the ball back, and he hadn't really accepted Lahayni's decision even when he went back to play (Djokovic said that he understood Jo on that case by the way but he said rightly that it was hard to judge anyway and in the end it was the umpire's decision).

And once again, he says that if it had not been against a top-4, Lahyani would not have taken that decision.

But I have to say that I've already seen Lahyani take that kind of decision several times whereas it was not clear in my eyes.

I think, and that's my main concern, that there are clearly different judging ways from the umpires in such cases to judge "what would have happened without the bad call" : most often on service points, the umpires judge that the player could not have brought the ball back anyway, while during rallies, they judge the opposite.

My personal main concern is rather that during the "rally points", the umpires usually have the point replayed rather than considering that the bad call didn't change the outcome of the point anyway.

That said, when Tsonga says that if a top-4 doesn't like an umpire, the umpire will be black-outed, I think there are good reasons to think this way and you can understand why he thinks that, when you consider how different are judged time wasting especially depending on whether it's Nadal on one case, lower-ranked players on the other case, and also when you consider how most important decisions in the ATP seem to be orientated by top-players. I think it's clearly a problem that the ATP and the umpires let this opinion emerge because of the obvious "double system" regarding time wasting. I saw an article one day and nearly all players agreed that ythere was a double system on that rule, and they felt bad/angry about it.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:33 PM   #8
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adri89 View Post
Tsonga is just angry about a call during the TB of the Pekin's final.
He said that against Djokovic "his level isn't good enough" to beat him.
I don't think it is an excuse for him, just he doesn't like to lose, and you just can understand this behaviour from champions. Those guys want to be the best, and it's hard to acknowledge that you find better than you.

Tsonga seems right about one point though : if an influent player doesn't like an umpire, it's harder for his career, to be in the big matchs.
I watched the match, Novak's challenges were all spot on. Sure, nobody likes to lose, but Tsonga was an inferior player in that match. Tsonga seems to be too bitter for no reason really.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #9
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperren View Post
...it's starting to look like Tsonga is looking at every possible excuse for why he's not doing any better than Top 5 or 6 (I remember that "other players are playing more smaller tournaments" excuse a couple of months back). Any excuse apart from admitting he's not playing well enough or consistently enough to get the points or the wins.
no no no that's typical MTF reaction but that's completely un-spot-on : after the match in Beijing, Tsonga also said that Djokovic clearly put the bar too high for him in that match, he even said that it was harder against Djokovic than against the rest of the big-4 because when he played a good point, he could win the point against the rest of the big-4 but not against Djokovic - I think he clearly referred to the first breakpoint which Djokovic saved with a superb lob after an incredible rally and which, according to Tsonga's own words, affected his confidence.

And Tsonga's reaction about that point was not after the loss but precisely at the moment when the point happened do'nt you remember how much he complained to Lahyani ?

Besides, about the "other players playing more smaller tournaments", if you read the original interview, it was not him who took the initiative to talk on that topic, he was asked whether maybe he was playing too much, and he just answered "no no I have no choice anyway because ..." : it was not a complaint at all, just an explanation for his schedule (later the French media asked him to precise who he was referring more precisely and he mentioned his main threat for the WTF, that is Tipsarevic).

You can think Tsonga is wrong and talk about other issues of that topic, but referring to him as a bad loser here is a complete mistake : he just has that opinion, whether he's right or not, and he's said it twice.

Last edited by duong : 10-09-2012 at 03:45 PM.
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:54 PM   #10
country flag Alex999

Duong, I don't think Tsonga is a bad loser per se and I like your last post/analysis. However, for some reason or another, he tends to 'talk too much' sometimes and finds too many excuses for himself. he should let his racket do the talking and he should be focusing on his own game. He also tends to be very easily provoked by journalists.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #11
country flag The Fearhand

The Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond repute

The impact of a referee on the result of a tennis match is slim to none.
There are some sports like soccer where a referee's impact could be deadly and 1 bad call can result in an instant loss for the rest of a match or handicap you for the rest of a match. That's not the same for Tennis.

And Tsonga might be right but he's not the one to talk. If he plays against the lower classed players he receives the same treatment too. Sadly that's how sports is. Wether it's soccer, basketball, tennis or any other sport the best players-teams always get special treatment.
The Fearhand is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #12
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute

I also thought they do.
Spending time with your children and not being a wage slave at some soulless corporation or government bureaucracy sounds like hell. Haven't we progressed beyond the idea that it is in loving relationships with other people that we find fulfillment and meaning? Climbing the corporate ladder is essential in the pursuit of happiness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
Match Point Novak needs to be immortalized in sculpture, like Michelangelo's David. I'm sure that once he's gone to tennis Valhalla, his statue will have his stones as the focal point of attention, and tennis fans will make a meccan-like pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime, in order to rub those lucky stones, like the budda's belly.
finishingmove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #13
country flag duong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex999 View Post
Duong, I don't think Tsonga is a bad loser per se and I like your last post/analysis. However, for some reason or another, he tends to 'talk too much' sometimes and finds too many excuses for himself. he should let his racket do the talking and he should be focusing on his own game. He also tends to be very easily provoked by journalists.
Tsonga is just sincere, he says his mind : when he says that, he doesn't think "well that's how people are going to think about that on MTF, I shouldn't tell it".

Personally I like that rather than giving "politically correct answers" all the time.

I know I disagree with many people about that, but personally I agree with Federer, that the only way to be natural and sincere is just not to think about the reactions you will get, just say your mind. Tsonga like Federer (but with less constraints than him) prefers living in this more simple way, just staying natural, and I understand him.

It's better for him anyway.

Is it better for the environment ? Some people don't judge it this way on MTF, I disagree with that generally speaking although in some peculiar cases I understand.

And anyway most people know that Tsonga is actually a nice guy, the people who have met him and other French players from very near say that he's the nicest French player by far.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:09 PM   #14
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

So it is the referee's fault that Tsonga has not beaten a single top 10 player this year. What a jerk.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #15
country flag duong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puschkin View Post
So it is the referee's fault that Tsonga has not beaten a single top 10 player this year. What a jerk.
not at all, it was just one point extracted from his interview, not at all the main one.