WORLDTOUR FINALS ◄vs► GRAND SLAMS - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: What's the value of a WTF title compared to a Slam title - for the history books (/th

>75% 5 9.62%
WTF 75:100 Slam (3/4) 6 11.54%
WTF 66:100 Slam (2/3) 4 7.69%
WTF 60:100 Slam (3/5) 3 5.77%
WTF 50:100 Slam (1/2) 7 13.46%
WTF 40:100 Slam (2/5) 0 0%
WTF 33:100 Slam (1/3) 4 7.69%
WTF 25:100 Slam (1/4) 3 5.77%
<25% 3 5.77%
WTF and Slams can't be compared. 17 32.69%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #46
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ►►WORLDTOUR FINALS◄◄ vs ►►GRAND SLAMS◄◄

Kids today.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #47
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
What's the value of WTF title compared to a slam title?

I'd say player with 3 WTFs and 0 slams is as great as a player with 1 slam and 0 WTFs. But once you have slam titles, then a slam is equivalent to two WTFs.
It's really rare to win the WTF and not win a slam. Only three players have done this once each - Corretja in 1998, Nalbandian in 2005, and Davydenko in 2009.
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:07 AM   #48
country flag Murray Mint

Murray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond repute

Someone needs to let the professionals know that the guys on MTF have decided that Olympic medals aren't worth anything and they shouldn't bother playing. Seriously.... did you not see Del Potro's reaction to winning a BRONZE?! Murray was obviously overjoyed at winning gold, Djokovic devastated by his two losses, and Fed was desperate to complete the set with a gold (perhaps this is why people slate the gold, because RF will never win it - and the last two winners were Nadal and Murray). But what do the players know compared to people on here that can claim a 1000 is bigger, and one clown even suggested it's akin to a 250 Do you take yourselves seriously? Would Fed or anyone else not swap a 1000 title for the Olympic gold ffs!

It's such a shame that fans of Federer can't show the same class as the great man himself. I think he'd be very disappointed in you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
Has anyone told the organisers? Djokovic won two RR matches in 2009 and was eliminated anyway. Same thing happened to Murray.
I think this devalues it, it's ridiculous. Without thinking too deeply on it, my initial reaction was that the WTF is worth 50% of a grand slam at the very most, probably a bit less.
Murray Mint is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #49
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray Mint View Post
Someone needs to let the professionals know that the guys on MTF have decided that Olympic medals aren't worth anything and they shouldn't bother playing. Seriously.... did you not see Del Potro's reaction to winning a BRONZE?! Murray was obviously overjoyed at winning gold, Djokovic devastated by his two losses, and Fed was desperate to complete the set with a gold (perhaps this is why people slate the gold, because RF will never win it - and the last two winners were Nadal and Murray). But what do the players know compared to people on here that can claim a 1000 is bigger, and one clown even suggested it's akin to a 250 Do you take yourselves seriously? Would Fed or anyone else not swap a 1000 title for the Olympic gold ffs!

It's such a shame that fans of Federer can't show the same class as the great man himself. I think he'd be very disappointed in you.
Not really the reason. Some of us are a little older and have followed tennis for a long time, long before Federer started winning anything. Why didn't Borg win the Olympics? Easy answer. It wasn't held when he was active. Why didn't Lendl? He never entered. Why didn't Sampras? He didn't try. Sure, he entered in 1992 - on clay. But he did not enter in 2000 or - most significantly - in 1996 on HC in his home country, where he would have been overwhelming favourite. Many of the other top players likewise gave the tournament a miss. Why didn't they play? Easy. Not worth their while. We oldtimers remember this all too well. While one concedes that its value have risen over time, it is a stretch to place a tournament that used to be no more than a paranthesis suddenly among the very top. Back in the 90s, the title of Olympic champion in tennis was about as meaningful as Olympic champion in football was and still is today.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #50
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Has anyone told the organisers? Djokovic won two RR matches in 2009 and was eliminated anyway. Same thing happened to Murray.
theoretically you need as few as one

but what's more important is that it allows you to lose, not one, but TWO matches and still win the tournament.

exhibition tournament, basically.
Spending time with your children and not being a wage slave at some soulless corporation or government bureaucracy sounds like hell. Haven't we progressed beyond the idea that it is in loving relationships with other people that we find fulfillment and meaning? Climbing the corporate ladder is essential in the pursuit of happiness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
Match Point Novak needs to be immortalized in sculpture, like Michelangelo's David. I'm sure that once he's gone to tennis Valhalla, his statue will have his stones as the focal point of attention, and tennis fans will make a meccan-like pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime, in order to rub those lucky stones, like the budda's belly.
finishingmove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #51
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishingmove View Post

but what's more important is that it allows you to lose, not one, but TWO matches and still win the tournament.

In theory you're right, but it has never happened. Federer has lost just one match winning his six titles.

"Exhibition tournament" is not what you said back in 2008....
Old 10-08-2012, 12:45 PM   #52
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
In theory you're right, but it has never happened. Federer has lost just one match winning his six titles.

"Exhibition tournament" is not what you said back in 2008....
The way someone perceives it doesn't change what it is

We know that Federer takes that tournament seriously.

It can provide a certain satisfaction -- beating your rivals. From a purist point of view, though, it's nowhere close to GS...
Spending time with your children and not being a wage slave at some soulless corporation or government bureaucracy sounds like hell. Haven't we progressed beyond the idea that it is in loving relationships with other people that we find fulfillment and meaning? Climbing the corporate ladder is essential in the pursuit of happiness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
Match Point Novak needs to be immortalized in sculpture, like Michelangelo's David. I'm sure that once he's gone to tennis Valhalla, his statue will have his stones as the focal point of attention, and tennis fans will make a meccan-like pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime, in order to rub those lucky stones, like the budda's belly.
finishingmove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:49 PM   #53
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishingmove View Post

Now I've seen some clownish statements from the Serbtard army but this takes the cake. I need a stupidity detergent for these parts of MTF.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:53 PM   #54
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
Now I've seen some clownish statements from the Serbtard army but this takes the cake. I need a stupidity detergent for these parts of MTF.
I suggest you stay far away from your own posts then

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #55
country flag Hans Anders

Hans Anders has a reputation beyond reputeHans Anders has a reputation beyond reputeHans Anders has a reputation beyond reputeHans Anders has a reputation beyond reputeHans Anders has a reputation beyond reputeHans Anders has a reputation beyond reputeHans Anders has a reputation beyond reputeHans Anders has a reputation beyond reputeHans Anders has a reputation beyond reputeHans Anders has a reputation beyond reputeHans Anders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Probably because Noserer complained after choking Rome final in 2006. Ballerinas tend to be fragile and need their rest
Interesting statement about a player who has NEVER retired in 1000+ matches. I wonder, are you as obnoxious in real life as you are in these forums?
Hans Anders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #56
country flag Featherer

Featherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond repute

@Finishingmove:
I added the following section to post #1:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherer View Post

RoundRobin:
Although not being it's only purpose the RoundRobin format makes the WTF somewhat like an exhibition for the Top 8 players of the Tennis sport. That's a good thing this far,
on the other hand it often makes the qualifying process for the semifinals quite obscure and not totally fair for the players. F.i. the player who plays the very last match of a group often has an advantage in information, knows exactly how many sets and games he has to win in order to advance and/or their direct opponent is already out or qualified, and so on.
(Moreover, in case one player in a group wins all 3 matches a scenario can occur, when another player can advance to the semifinals by winning only 1 of 3 matches.)
Featherer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #57
country flag Murray Mint

Murray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not really the reason. Some of us are a little older and have followed tennis for a long time, long before Federer started winning anything. Why didn't Borg win the Olympics? Easy answer. It wasn't held when he was active. Why didn't Lendl? He never entered. Why didn't Sampras? He didn't try. Sure, he entered in 1992 - on clay. But he did not enter in 2000 or - most significantly - in 1996 on HC in his home country, where he would have been overwhelming favourite. Many of the other top players likewise gave the tournament a miss. Why didn't they play? Easy. Not worth their while. We oldtimers remember this all too well. While one concedes that its value have risen over time, it is a stretch to place a tournament that used to be no more than a paranthesis suddenly among the very top. Back in the 90s, the title of Olympic champion in tennis was about as meaningful as Olympic champion in football was and still is today.
Appreciate the response, but that explanation is quite telling isn't it? Times have changed big-time, nowadays all the top players enter, to not do so would be inconceivable now. And the most recent tournament being held at the hallowed grounds of Wimbledon made it that much more special, and it felt a lot more prestigious than in the past - granted it doesn't have the rich history of some of the other tournaments. There's absolutely no reason why it shouldn't be an enormous win, especially since it's only held every 4 years, I think only the attitude of the players has prevented that in the past, but it clearly isn't the case anymore. Just find it frivolous that know-it-alls on here suggest it's worth nothing, when luminaries of the game are clearly desperate to win it. That's far more telling as to the true worth of the Olympics.

Australian Open used to be regarded as pretty weak didn't it? But not anymore, because the pros all take it very seriously, a fit player choosing not to compete would be unthinkable. I think there's a comparison to be made there.
Murray Mint is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #58
country flag Roy Emerson

Roy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond repute

WTF is BO3 including the final nowadays. No comparison with slams.
Roy Emerson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #59
country flag atennisfan

atennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Well, at least there is no such thing as a mug draw in WTF, and there is no such thing as fluke winner in WTF.
People need to wake up. Olderer is not winning anymore slams - neither is he going to become #1.
atennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #60
country flag saviopr

saviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond repute

Grand Slams > Olympics > WTF > M1000

Last edited by saviopr : 10-08-2012 at 01:59 PM.
saviopr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote