Which USO win was more impressive/deserving? Delpo or Murray? - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Delpo or Murray?

Del Potro 62 73.81%
Murray 18 21.43%
Neither, both mugs (weak era, etc) 4 4.76%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2012, 12:41 AM   #61
country flag Honestly

Honestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which USO win was more impressive/deserving? Delpo or Murray?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
They both deserved the slam.

/thread
This. These kinds of threads are really stupid. These endless analysis are for fanboys and -girls. They both deserved it. Get over it.
302 weeks at #1
7 Wimbledon titles
23 consecutive slam SF
3/4 slams on 3 occasions
4 consecutive Laureus sportsman of the year awards
Proving the haters wrong...priceless
Honestly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 12:42 AM   #62
country flag moon language

moon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond repute

Del Potro's was more impressive in that he played out of his mind for much of that tournament. Murray's was more deserving in that he'd already been in multiple slam finals ... eventually it had to go his way.
moon language is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:46 AM   #63
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
And didn't Del Potro actuall beat Nadal and Federer ? He didn't even ned any 'weather manipulation magic' or 'USTA' for it.
Well, I am looking at the bigger picture. Mandy reached 4 slam finals and won something like 7-8 masters, so his resume is slightly enhanced by the slam, not overwhelmed by it. So for a guy, even as limited as he is, not winning even one slam would have been strange.

Del Mugtro's biggest title apart from his USO is Estroil and Delray Beach, which really puts his carrer into context. He's a tier 3 player well below guys like Ferrer, Tsonga and Berdych who didn't have his luck to fluke a slam.

He is one of the most overrated one slam wonders in open era, just like his countrywoman Gabriela Sabatini was. But at least she was eye candy, I dunno why you are such a fan of this ballbasher..
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:54 AM   #64
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Well, I am looking at the bigger picture. Mandy reached 4 slam finals and won something like 7-8 masters, so his resume is slightly enhanced by the slam, not overwhelmed by it. So for a guy, even as limited as he is, not winning even one slam would have been strange.

Del Mugtro's biggest title apart from his USO is Estroil and Delray Beach, which really puts his carrer into context. He's a tier 3 player well below guys like Ferrer, Tsonga and Berdych who didn't have his luck to fluke a slam.

He is one of the most overrated one slam wonders in open era, just like his countrywoman Gabriela Sabatini was. But at least she was eye candy, I dunno why you are such a fan of this ballbasher..
The question is not about the overall picture though, but about which particular Slam run was more impressive.

And do you seriously believe Tsonga, Berdych or Ferrer would have won that US Open had they had that 'luck'? The only one with even half a chance is Tsonga (a very slim one though), since Berdych is competely owned by Nadal (can't even win sets let alone three in the same match) and Ferrer is Federer's very own lapdog (3 sets in 13 matches tell their own story). Even Murray, while we're at it, would have loved to see him win a Slam while being 'lucky' enough to have to go through both Nadal and Federer instead of being the first Slam champion in ages not to go through even one of them.

He's underrated if anything; the only reason he might remain a one Slam wonder is his injuries, he's far too good a player to win 'only' one Slam. And the reason Murray had to wait until almost his 26th birthday to get one while Delpo got one in before needing surgery is that he is a more talented tennis player, he doesn't need draws opening up or bizarre weather conditions. All he needs is for his body not to let him down and let him play his best tennis, that is why he took it in the first and only (so far) opportunity he had (if facing Federer in a USO final can be considered an opportunity, that is).
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:59 AM   #65
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

when taking into account the era difficulty factor, the murray us open win could be considered as equal to 4 of federer's us open titles... or 5 of nadal's french open titles if you want the clay angle...
fast_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:31 AM   #66
country flag Matt01

Matt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
djokovic a ballbasher

del potro faced doublefaulterer in that 2009 final

he had the match handed to him by doublefaulterer's choking

emotionalabuserer cried and swore for roddick, but still lost the match

murray had to beat an in form berdych (who only shows up against olderer) in the semis, and beat both the wind and the best hard court player in the world in the final

murray's is more impressive, easily

Oh my
Old 10-08-2012, 01:33 AM   #67
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute

del Potro winning the poll

That final was a huge choke from Federer.
Neither one seemed too brilliant to me (nor did Nadal in 2010) but for sure Murray

Youzhny, Robredo, Matosevic, Monaco, Kohlschreiber, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Dolgopolov, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Zeballos, Herbert, Tursunov, Djokovic, Gonzalez
emotion is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:52 AM   #68
country flag Gris

Gris has a reputation beyond reputeGris has a reputation beyond reputeGris has a reputation beyond reputeGris has a reputation beyond reputeGris has a reputation beyond reputeGris has a reputation beyond reputeGris has a reputation beyond reputeGris has a reputation beyond reputeGris has a reputation beyond reputeGris has a reputation beyond reputeGris has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMarquess View Post
Impressive - Delpo

Deserving - Murray
Agree
Old 10-08-2012, 04:21 AM   #69
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Del Potro faced an extremely tough draw and played absolutely amazing, the best of his career, during the span of one tournament. Murray played pretty well but nothing amazing and had a very fortunate draw.

clear cut, Del Potro

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:27 AM   #70
country flag E-r-i-c

E-r-i-c has a reputation beyond reputeE-r-i-c has a reputation beyond reputeE-r-i-c has a reputation beyond reputeE-r-i-c has a reputation beyond reputeE-r-i-c has a reputation beyond reputeE-r-i-c has a reputation beyond reputeE-r-i-c has a reputation beyond reputeE-r-i-c has a reputation beyond reputeE-r-i-c has a reputation beyond reputeE-r-i-c has a reputation beyond reputeE-r-i-c has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to win a slam, you really need some luck.
Both deserved their title.
E-r-i-c is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:41 AM   #71
country flag Juz78

Juz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure I like the poll because Delpo's was more impressive, Murray's was more deserving...

Murray overall.
Juz78 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #72
country flag Roy Emerson

Roy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooza2011 View Post
Comparing Potro to Murray.

Murray won his slam in his fifth final. He had won many other big tournaments with an Olympic gold and 8 masters title. Potro has nothing other than his slam, no other finals, master titles etc.
Yep. Delpo's looks more like a fluke. Murray has FIVE slam finals so far. 8 masters series, Olympic gold beating Nole and Fed back to back...
Roy Emerson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #73
country flag Johnbert

Johnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond repute

it's really simple:

impressive => delpo (beating fed/nadal b2b in a slam...)

deserving => murray (uso 2012 was his 5th (!) gs-final...)
Johnbert is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:11 PM   #74
country flag Deathless Mortal
♤23♤

Deathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond repute

The poll results telling it as it is.

"a kad me opet gore vrati zahvalit' ću Mu prvo
što nam je dao komad zemlje što je za sebe sačuv'o"
Deathless Mortal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote