Does it feel weird to have tournaments after the US Open? - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #46
country flag Punky

Punky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does it feel weird to have tournaments after the US Open?

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
I doubt any player would miss WTF because he'd be too tired, their sponsors want them to play. I don't think Nole and Rafa would ever play as badly in a slam as they played in WTF last year. They were playing in WTF because they didn't want to withdraw, yet they didn't care about WTF too much. And that's the problem of post-USO season. It's lame because many top players don't anymore play their best tennis, they're too tired or don't care.
they were 25 & 24, fed is 30 years old
if they were to tired they could skip a Tournament or two
things were created to be used.
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

"יברכך ה' וישמרך,יאר ה' פניו אליך ויחונך,ישא ה' פניו אליך וישם לך שלום"
Punky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #47
country flag paseo

paseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond repute

paseo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #48
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I doubt any player would miss WTF because he'd be too tired, their sponsors want them to play. I don't think Nole and Rafa would ever play as badly in a slam as they played in WTF last year. They were playing in WTF because they didn't want to withdraw, yet they didn't care about WTF too much. And that's the problem of post-USO season. It's lame because many top players don't anymore play their best tennis, they're too tired or don't care.
Nole has won it before, Fed has won it numerous times. It just depends on how they are feeling at the time. As for last year Djokovic had such a massive year hardly a surprise he struggled after the US Open. Nadal has never been good indoors. Problem is you don't understand the sport if you think the top players don't care about the end of the season Masters. It's the biggest thing outside of the Slams on the tour.

If they're too tired then it's the length of the season that's the problem. The top guys have a much better way of managing their schedule. If they really didn't give a shit then they would tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punky View Post
it wasnt for u, its for a few ppl who try to discredit the tournament.
It's just Nadal fans and people who just start following the sport.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:17 PM   #49
country flag atennisfan

atennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

NO.

Next.
People need to wake up. Olderer is not winning anymore slams - neither is he going to become #1.
atennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #50
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
Nole has won it before, Fed has won it numerous times. It just depends on how they are feeling at the time. As for last year Djokovic had such a massive year hardly a surprise he struggled after the US Open. Nadal has never been good indoors. Problem is you don't understand the sport if you think the top players don't care about the end of the season Masters. It's the biggest thing outside of the Slams on the tour.

It's just Nadal fans and people who just start following the sport.
This, that and this. The amazing run Fed continued at the end of 2011 allowed him to reclaim the #1 in 2012. Anyone who cannot see how important (and how many) the points at the end of the season are just ill-informed. Now obviously Nadulle want to reduce the tournaments post-USO, as that does not suit their lame brand of tennis.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

On winning DC and its overall importance in the discussion for all-time greats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbis View Post
Davis Cup should never have really mattered in the GOAT discussion anyway since it's a team event. If you're talking about the GOAT singles player then you should mainly look at individual results.
If some unknown talent came out of some random tiny country (no chance to win DC) and won 20 slams, no one would give a single shit if that player didn't have DC. The fact is, success in DC is largely determined by what country you come from or play for in the first place, which most players haven't had any control over.
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #51
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

anyway, tennis is not only about top-players.

For a long time, I've enjoyed a lot small tournaments in the end of the year, esp.indoor ones, although unfortunately there have been less and less ones, and one less week again this year.

And then when all of this is finished, I will feel very weird until the beginning of next season looking at entry-lists and other kinds of odd stories/stats feeling like a lonely soul

And MTF in that period is the weirdest/most stupid thing of all ... and I can hardly imagine how it will finish this year with the 2 more weeks MTF will have this year
Old 10-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #52
country flag saviopr

saviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sham Kay View Post
Tennis is practically a year round sport. The off-season is the only thing that feels weird
Two months without tennis is weird.
saviopr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:40 PM   #53
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

What a silly question.
To the ones who answered 'yes', does your job requirements end as soon as Autumn sets in as well?

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:39 AM   #54
country flag james82

james82 has a reputation beyond reputejames82 has a reputation beyond reputejames82 has a reputation beyond reputejames82 has a reputation beyond reputejames82 has a reputation beyond reputejames82 has a reputation beyond reputejames82 has a reputation beyond reputejames82 has a reputation beyond reputejames82 has a reputation beyond reputejames82 has a reputation beyond reputejames82 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saviopr View Post
Two months without tennis is weird.
i think tennis ends around mid nov and starts around 29th dec its not even really 2 months
faves-Ito,Stebe,Paire,Cilic,Donaldson,Nishikori,Dimitrov ,Thiem,Goffin,Janowicz,Copil,Pella,Kyrgios,Rufin,K uznetsov,Pospsil,Struff,Sekiguchi,Uchiyama,Ehara,B erankis,Safiullin,Chung,taro,Busta,Kubler,Sock,Zha ng,Wu,Delbonis,Yang,Langer,Soeda,Moriya,Marti,Yang ,Kubler,kokkinakis,saville,Dzumhur,Krajinovic,Jeon g,Elias,Olivo,Londero,Lama,Arguello,Andreozzi,Pell a,Bagnis,Schwartzman,vesely,Eysseric,Herbert,Mina, Laaksonen,Baena,seppi,fognini,Nishioka,
james82 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #55
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
This, that and this. The amazing run Fed continued at the end of 2011 allowed him to reclaim the #1 in 2012. Anyone who cannot see how important (and how many) the points at the end of the season are just ill-informed. Now obviously Nadulle want to reduce the tournaments post-USO, as that does not suit their lame brand of tennis.
Points isn't he only thing players care unless they are vultures, otherwise 4 500 titles = 1 slam title. To see when Rafa comes back tells something about how important WTF is (at least for Rafa). Obvious thing is that AO is much more important than WTF, so it'd be smart for Rafa not to play WTF. But if he plays WTF, it shows he cares about it. And if he played singles in DC final but not WTF, that'd show he cares more about DC than WTF.

So what I think to be a problem with post-USO season is that it's a part of the season where top players don't play their best tennis. There are a couple of reasons for that. The season itself isn't too long, it's just too gruelling e.g. because of the more important Asian swing, and long matches on slow surfaces definitely don't help. Another thing is that WTF isn't too important for players, they could manage their schedules better to be at their peak at WTF. But they don't do that, maybe because they can get 1500 points also by winning Tokyo/Bejing & Shanghai titles. If WTF were a slam, I doubt Nole and Murray would've played 500s last week, it'd be the same thing as playing Washington 500 before Canada and Cincy M1000s and USO.

Stan Wawrinka
2014 Australian Open Champion | 2014 Monte Carlo Masters Champion

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
2008 Paris Masters Champion | 2014 Toronto Masters Champion
August is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:13 AM   #56
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Points isn't he only thing players care unless they are vultures, otherwise 4 500 titles = 1 slam title. To see when Rafa comes back tells something about how important WTF is (at least for Rafa). Obvious thing is that AO is much more important than WTF, so it'd be smart for Rafa not to play WTF. But if he plays WTF, it shows he cares about it. And if he played singles in DC final but not WTF, that'd show he cares more about DC than WTF.

So what I think to be a problem with post-USO season is that it's a part of the season where top players don't play their best tennis. There are a couple of reasons for that. The season itself isn't too long, it's just too gruelling e.g. because of the more important Asian swing, and long matches on slow surfaces definitely don't help. Another thing is that WTF isn't too important for players, they could manage their schedules better to be at their peak at WTF. But they don't do that, maybe because they can get 1500 points also by winning Tokyo/Bejing & Shanghai titles. If WTF were a slam, I doubt Nole and Murray would've played 500s last week, it'd be the same thing as playing Washington 500 before Canada and Cincy M1000s and USO.
You can't conclude that. Nadal played Halle, he didn't play the Olympics or US Open. So is Halle more important to him?
DC comes after WTF. His physical status could have improved. And one match will be a lesser strain than three.
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:39 AM   #57
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Another thing is that WTF isn't too important for players, they could manage their schedules better to be at their peak at WTF.
for Nadal and Djokovic only, their attitude is too often generalized now, other players really do care a lot and try to play their best in the WTF and being there is like the goal of the year (Tsonga said that he will play more tournaments to be sure to be there for instance, and you can't say that it's not important for Murray as it's the second most important tournament in his own country).

When you talk of scheduling and slams, just look how loaded is the period before Roland-Garros and Wimbledon, top-players don't play more in the current period, quite the opposite.

Besides, as for Nadal and Djokovic, I think the way they dealt with the WTF last year had something to do with their long-term plans for the Tour : to shorten a lot the end of the year they had all interests to make people say "this period is useless : top-players are just too tired" ... and they clearly managed very very well to make people say that as their attitude, and especially for only one year, has been actually very well generalized.

And now Nadal and Djokovic's plans to make the WTF be played just a few weeks after the US Open are in very good way from everything we heard.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:13 PM   #58
Timariot

Timariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond repute

Only thing which is weird is how dismissive many tennis fans - and even supposedly better knowing "experts" - are dismissive of tennis tournaments which aren't the biggest. I sure as hell have never heard a soccer fan whine how national leagues are meaningless and superfluous since World Cup is so huge.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #59
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
You can't conclude that. Nadal played Halle, he didn't play the Olympics or US Open. So is Halle more important to him?
DC comes after WTF. His physical status could have improved. And one match will be a lesser strain than three.
Halle wasn't more important for Rafa than OG, it was just better preparation for Wimby than what OG would've been for USO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
for Nadal and Djokovic only, their attitude is too often generalized now, other players really do care a lot and try to play their best in the WTF and being there is like the goal of the year (Tsonga said that he will play more tournaments to be sure to be there for instance, and you can't say that it's not important for Murray as it's the second most important tournament in his own country).

When you talk of scheduling and slams, just look how loaded is the period before Roland-Garros and Wimbledon, top-players don't play more in the current period, quite the opposite.

Besides, as for Nadal and Djokovic, I think the way they dealt with the WTF last year had something to do with their long-term plans for the Tour : to shorten a lot the end of the year they had all interests to make people say "this period is useless : top-players are just too tired" ... and they clearly managed very very well to make people say that as their attitude, and especially for only one year, has been actually very well generalized.

And now Nadal and Djokovic's plans to make the WTF be played just a few weeks after the US Open are in very good way from everything we heard.
Rafa and Nole belong to the best four players on tour, if they don't play their best tennis at WTF, WTF loses its credibility as a semi-major. Yeah, it's nice to see other players in semis and final, yet e.g. last year WTF as well as Paris and Shanghai M1000s seemed to have more fluke semifinalists than e.g. Indian Wells and Miami M1000s.

And I doubt Rafa and Nole tanked last year at WTF just to make ATP shorten the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timariot View Post
Only thing which is weird is how dismissive many tennis fans - and even supposedly better knowing "experts" - are dismissive of tennis tournaments which aren't the biggest. I sure as hell have never heard a soccer fan whine how national leagues are meaningless and superfluous since World Cup is so huge.
Bad comparision, footballers play their best football in national leagues as well as in WC. But tennis players don't always play their best tennis in WTF. I'd be OK with WTF if players played their best tennis there.

Stan Wawrinka
2014 Australian Open Champion | 2014 Monte Carlo Masters Champion

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
2008 Paris Masters Champion | 2014 Toronto Masters Champion
August is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #60
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Rafa and Nole belong to the best four players on tour, if they don't play their best tennis at WTF, WTF loses its credibility as a semi-major. Yeah, it's nice to see other players in semis and final, yet e.g. last year WTF as well as Paris and Shanghai M1000s seemed to have more fluke semifinalists than e.g. Indian Wells and Miami M1000s.
Why does it lose its credibility if an average indoor player like Nadal can't play well there?
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote