Mitt Romney buys Walmart products for staged photo ops at rally in Ohio. - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-31-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Filo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mitt Romney buys Walmart products for staged photo ops at rally in Ohio.

Using Hurricane Sandy to make political points while President Obama has cleared his work schedule through at least Friday while he's currently on the grounds in New Jersey. We the people, of the United States of America, seems only one person cares about the little man; ALL people:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/mckaycoppins...m-relief-event

The Making Of Romney's Storm Relief Event

The last-minute decision by Romney high command Monday to suspend politics while Sandy raged sent aides in Ohio scrambling to convert a scheduled victory rally into an apolitical "storm relief event" — a process that tested the campaign's agility and left a few threads of partisanship inadvertently hanging.

On Monday morning, Romney's local team in Dayton was eagerly preparing to host the candidate the following day. A high school gym had been reserved, a stage had been rented, and a pair of celebrity guests — country singer Randy Owen and NASCAR driver Richard Petty — had been booked to give the event some B-list heft.

Then, a little before noon, communications director Gail Gitcho announced the cancellation of "all events currently scheduled" for Tuesday. The superstorm that forecasters had been warning about for days had picked up steam, and people throughout the Northeast were now bracing for the worst. In a statement, Gitcho said the decision to cancel campaign events had been made "out of sensitivity to the millions of Americans in the path of Hurricane Sandy."

But Boston wasn't quite ready to lose a full day of swing state visibility with a week left in the race. So, after some deliberation, the campaign decided to use their existing venue in Ohio to stage a makeshift and nonpartisan humanitarian project. It would be a way for Romney to show leadership — and get on the local news — without looking craven or opportunistic.

The cryptic advisory went out to press several hours later, announcing the time and location of a "storm relief event" on Tuesday. As Sandy made landfall in New Jersey, Romney's campaign jet carried the candidate, along with his staff and traveling press corps, back to Ohio after an afternoon rally in Davenport, Iowa.

Meanwhile, on the ground in Dayton, aides were working feverishly to depoliticize the planned event. Campaign signs were removed from the premises, long rows of folding tables were set up, and logistics were painstakingly arranged to accomodate physical donations.

"It took the production company and event staff on-site some time to ensure that it was converted into a space which was suitable for the needs of a relief effort," said one staffer who was there.
The plan was for supporters to bring hurricane relief supplies to the event and then deliver the bags of canned goods, packages of diapers, and cases of water bottles to the candidate, who would be perched behind a table along with a slew of volunteers and his Ohio right-hand man, Senator Rob Portman. To complete the project and photo op, Romney would lead his crew in carrying the goods out of the gymnasium and into the Penske rental truck parked outside.

But the last-minute nature of the call for donations left some in the campaign concerned that they would end up with an empty truck. So the night before the event, campaign aides went to a local Wal-Mart and spent $5,000 on granola bars, canned food, and diapers to put on display while they waited for donations to come in, according to one staffer. (The campaign confirmed that it "did donate supplies to the relief effort," but would not specify how much it spent.)

At more senior levels of the campaign, careful consideration was being given to the tone of the program, officials said. Romney would scrap his normal stump speech and replace it with brief, optimistic remarks on the spirit of volunteerism. And Owen would still perform with his band, but he would refrain from cheerleading his candidate, and instead talk about the devastation he saw in Alabama after tornadoes tore through his home state last year.

When showtime arrived the following morning, local campaign staffers were pleasantly surprised by their supporters' generosity.

"We were incredibly pleased with the outpouring of support we received from volunteers and generous contributors from southwest and central Ohio," said Christopher Maloney, Romney's Ohio spokesman, adding, "We’re pleased that Ohio could play a role, albeit a minor one, in the relief effort."

But the event had its hitches. When reporters arrived on site ahead of the candidate, they were given press badges describing the event as a "victory rally" — a result, one aide told BuzzFeed, of the event's last-minute repurposing. He said the badges were printed Monday morning, before the change had been announced.

And shortly thereafter, the two large projector screens near the ceiling lit up with a glossy, 10-minute biographical video about the candidate, one that debuted at the Republican National Convention. A state campaign official blamed "someone from the audiovisual team" for playing the video without the campaign's permission.

But reporters, many of whom had spent the night before glued to hotel television sets watching their hometown of New York get ravaged by the hurricane, were sensitive to the hints of politics at the event and took to Twitter to voice their skepticism.

By the time Romney's motorcade rolled up to the high school, the projector screens were displaying Red Cross donation information, and grocery bags stuffed with supplies were piled up in a corner of the gym.

Romney kept his speech brief, expressing concern for the victims of the storm, while trying to keep the mood of the event upbeat. Standing on a small platform, he recalled a time in high school when he and his classmates were charged with cleaning up a football field covered in garbage.

“The person who was responsible for organizing the effort said, 'Just line up along the yard lines,'" the candidate said. "'You go between the goal line and the 10-yard line. And the next person, between 10 and 20, and then just walk through and do your lane. And if everybody cleans their line, why, we’ll be able to get the job done.'"

"And so today," he went on. "We are cleaning one lane, if you will."

The crowd of about 2,000 erupted in applause.
But even as Romney, clad in blue jeans and rolled-up sleeves, hustled around his area of the gym, shaking hands, thanking supporters, and stacking cases of bottled water on top of each other, signs of stagecraft remained.

As supporters lined up to greet the candidate, a young volunteer in a Romney/Ryan T-shirt stood near the tables, his hands cupped around his mouth, shouting, "You need a donation to get in line!"
Empty-handed supporters pled for entrance, with one woman asking, "What if we dropped off our donations up front?"

The volunteer gestured toward a pile of groceries conveniently stacked near the candidate. "Just grab something," he said.

Two teenage boys retrieved a jar of peanut butter each, and got in line. When it was their turn, they handed their "donations" to Romney. He took them, smiled, and offered an earnest "Thank you."
Filo V. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
country flag Tommy_Vercetti

Tommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mitt Romney buys Walmart products for staged photo ops at rally in Ohio.

Well at least he hasn't blamed the President for the hurricane.

Those of us who can remember past the last few months (which few people seem to be able to do) can remember when the media and Obama, Clinton, Reid, Luger etc... blamed our last President for the weather, power outages originating in Canada, wildfires, etc...

This tactic won't work Filo.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:21 PM   #3
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Filo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mitt Romney buys Walmart products for staged photo ops at rally in Ohio.

What would that tactic be? All that is being done is exposing Romney's desperation and smarmy nature.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:25 PM   #4

Tommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond repute

Acting as if this is any different than how most campaigns are run. Like Obama isn't the most scripted human being in history, while Romney is the Republican John Kerry.

You are kidding yourself if there is really going to be any difference with Obama or Romney in office. Nothing basic ever changes. And they are all of the same ilk.

And as I said, at least he and his party are not blaming him for the hurricane.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:37 PM   #5
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_Vercetti View Post
Acting as if this is any different than how most campaigns are run. Like Obama isn't the most scripted human being in history, while Romney is the Republican John Kerry.
We're not talking about the horrible candidate that was John Kerry, nor Barack Obama. We are talking about Mitt Romney. And this is Mitt Romney using a tragic natural weather disaster as a means to make photo ops and enhance his image. I haven't seen Obama doing that during these last handful of days. In fact, he's not even campaigning. Since basically Sunday afternoon.

Quote:
You are kidding yourself if there is really going to be any difference with Obama or Romney in office.
You're right, almost all politicians who make it far up the foodchain are, shall we say, shady. But there are clear differences between these two men. As a gay man I definitely know there are huge differences between these two candidates.

Quote:
And as I said, at least he and his party are not blaming him for the hurricane.
No. They're too busy blaming atheists and gays.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:40 PM   #6

Tell a lie enough and people will believe it.

America has a long history of persecution of gays. Right. Because not being allowed to marry is really a tragedy.

Marriage is as stupid as voting in this system. It means nothing.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:43 PM   #7
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Quote:
Tell a lie enough and people will believe it.

America has a long history of persecution of gays. Right. Because not being allowed to marry is really a tragedy.

Marriage is as stupid as voting in this system. It means nothing.
Do you really think not being able to get married is the sole issue? Or even the biggest issue?

Well, that's where we disagree, I guess. And why I disagree about it being irrelevant to vote for Obama over Romney or Romney over Obama.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:46 PM   #8

Voting is stupid. Anyone who votes for any of these people is only helping to prop up a corrupt and fatalistic system.

That's the whole problem. People have been brainwashed into thinking they have to vote Republican or Democrat and the system won't change until they refuse to participate in it. I don't vote for the same reason I refuse to serve on a jury, the system is ugly and false.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:53 PM   #9
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Quote:
Voting is stupid. Anyone who votes for any of these people is only helping to prop up a corrupt and fatalistic system.

That's the whole problem. People have been brainwashed into thinking they have to vote Republican or Democrat and the system won't change until they refuse to participate in it. I don't vote for the same reason I refuse to serve on a jury, the system is ugly and false.
Do I disagree with your statements? No. But at the end of the day, the system we have is the system we have and it's the current best way for the populous to make their opinions known. Especially as a gay man, I know being a minority individual, the right to vote is something I can't take for granted because it's one of the only ways I'll get what I deserve.

Which in itself is bullshit. Yes, the system is corrupt, politicians are corrupt. The way to fix that is to promote politicians who aren't inside-the-beltway types. And involve yourself with people who aren't in the game. Because changing the game from the outside, taking a stand by not voting, is not going to do anything.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:06 PM   #10

You don't see the irony. You spend all your time propping up the Democrats because many of them pander to gays and the political correctness. Like the Republicans pander to religious idiots.

Realism has no place in American politics. It's all smoke and mirrors. The press controls everything. Not one politician from either party has any concern about anyone but themselves. And that's not a new thing. Honest people don't get involved in politics, or don't last long.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:55 PM   #11
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Quote:
You don't see the irony. You spend all your time propping up the Democrats
Wrong. I don't promote nor donate to the National Democratic party. Not one cent. I promote and donate to people who have value systems that are aligned with mine and people who are actually out to make a difference and are true to those values. I'm not a big fan of 80% of Democrats.

Quote:
Realism has no place in American politics. It's all smoke and mirrors. The press controls everything.
In the mainstream, yes. But not all politicians seek the mainstream. Not all people who are in positions to make a difference are attention seeking, or chameleons who say one thing and do another and change their values to whatever is popular. There are good people out there, but you have to find them and work with them and help them.

Quote:
Not one politician from either party has any concern about anyone but themselves. And that's not a new thing. Honest people don't get involved in politics, or don't last long.
I disagree that honest people don't get involved in politics or that they are all selfish and entitled. It's the fact that most of the known politicians and most people in the media are this way that makes people think this. The people who get the most publicity, the people who go the farthest in the political foodchain, are the ones who play the game and don't ask questions. Not all of them are this way, though.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:15 PM   #12
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

I read that whole article to get to the punch line. Alas, there wasn't one. Why did you even post such drivel?
Old 11-01-2012, 12:36 AM   #13
country flag Pirata.
the pirate queen.

Pirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond repute

Mug Romney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:48 AM   #14
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

You gotta love democracy these days. It's like going to a supermarket and being forced to buy rotten fruit or rotten vegetables. It's funny how "democracy" has been pretty much a system where you get a choice for which crook to vote for and sheep still think they have a say in who's running the country
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:51 AM   #15
country flag Freak3yman84

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute

Politics suck.

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but six

W Houston and Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut W Orleans (w/MathMul) W Cordenons (w/dinkulpus) Tashkent S&D (w/ Mr Brightside)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Freak3yman84 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote