To write is to forget - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-11-2012, 07:14 AM   #1
country flag Ilovetheblues_86

Ilovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond repute
Default To write is to forget

To write is to forget. Literature is the most pleasant way to ignore life. Music rocks, the visual arts uplift ourselves, the more alive arts ( such as dance and the art to represent) entertain. The first one, however, get estranged from life because it makes life a slumber, the seconds, on another way, dont get away from life - some because use visible and vital formulas, others because they live of the same human life. Its not the literature case. This one simulates life. A romance is a history of what never happened and a drama is a determined romance without narration. A poem is a expression of ideas or feelings that no one employs, because no one speaks in verses.

Fernando Pessoa---- Portuguese writer.

Discuss. Is literature the best way to forget life since theatre and dance are too conected with life and music makes us only "sleep in a dazzle"?
Whats the best way to manifest art?

MAY THE SPIRIT OF KOSTAS PROTECT US

Last edited by Ilovetheblues_86 : 10-11-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Ilovetheblues_86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To write is to forget

Everyone has a different way of forgetting life and losing themselves.

I lose myself on the court, some lose themselves in music, on the stage, in the books, what have you. Anything can be an art form, really.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

Immersing oneself in a fictional world. Reading fantasy novels. That's my way.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute

I think to read is to forget.

To write is to remember, to preserve and record memories for posterity, to leave a mark of your viewpoint on the tapestry of history.
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #5

Ilovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond repute

Thats kind of true Scoobs. You probably cannot write something you dont relate with, even if this is not present in your real world.
For example, you can create a character that has all the positive traits you would like to meet in a certain situation. He would be your hero, or at least, someone you can relate with.

But heroes dont exist in real life. We have a lot of people trying to survive basically. Except maybe Federer.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #6
country flag Echoes

Echoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond repute

Forgetting about life? Sounds like the 'art for art' sake, doesn't it?

As Chesterton put it, the greatest literature is the one which is connected to life, with ideas, dogmas and careful description. Even in the time of Oscar Wilde, that is what people wanted.

Anyway, escaping from this world is already being politically oriented, usually agreeing with the current government's policies.
Echoes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:10 PM   #7

Echoes, maybe if you consider a lot of characters dont exist in true life and act doing things that could be considered irrational for normal life, we can consider that writing makes us forget the normal " agenda " of life.

I mean, how about fantasy books that create another world like Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones. I know they arent exactly cultural literature, but they create a different world. Same for children books no?

Old 10-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #8
country flag Echoes

Echoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't say it was wrong but just that literature is not just that and personally I don't really like seeing that way.

The fact that characters are fictitious doesn't mean they cannot be connected in one way or another to real life. They are often archetypes or placed in a situation that people actually have lived. Even some SF stories might also have some sort of an ethic that relates it to real life.

To put in other words, I do believe you can also learn a lot about life, simply by reading novels. It should not be strictly entertainment.

You're right about children books, though. They're the best way to forget about life. Just for the fact that the main characters often do not get a surname, for example.
Echoes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote