THE Thread - Page 66 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-29-2013, 06:58 PM   #976
country flag Freak3yman84

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
A bit over my budget too

US collectors have the deepest pockets in the world. An equally rare European coin would not fetch nearly as much as that, even if it was in gold.
We have deep pockets when it comes to anything, no matter how many trillions of dollars of debt we're in

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but four

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kuerten View Post
Freakyman is a mythical figure who went bat shit insane during the 2012 ACC and got himself permbanned and the whole ACC with him.

He then forced an unban by sleeping with the entire moderation crew and these days you can see him post in a mellowed down version, while being under the influence of strong medication.
Freak3yman84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2013, 08:14 PM   #977
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: THE Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak3yman84 View Post
We have deep pockets when it comes to anything, no matter how many trillions of dollars of debt we're in
No wonder you have a lot to spend on stuff when you borrow trillions

We still haven't reached 1000 posts, are you disappointed about that?
vBookie net amount won: 21577 (2014: +14882, 2013: +6795, 2012: -100)
TT singles rank 99, TT doubles rank 118.
Detailed Tennis Tipping and DTT results

Member of Suicide Tennis board
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #978

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No wonder you have a lot to spend on stuff when you borrow trillions

We still haven't reached 1000 posts, are you disappointed about that?
Not at all. We'll get it by tomorrow if we keep chatting

Any other topics?

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul)

Quote:
Freakyman is a mythical figure who went bat shit insane during the 2012 ACC and got himself permbanned and the whole ACC with him.

He then forced an unban by sleeping with the entire moderation crew and these days you can see him post in a mellowed down version, while being under the influence of strong medication.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:34 PM   #979
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Other topics? Hmmmm....have you heard about what the ancient Greeks called perfect numbers?

Old 10-29-2013, 08:39 PM   #980

Quote:
Other topics? Hmmmm....have you heard about what the ancient Greeks called perfect numbers?
I don't think so, but I'll take a stab at it.

Are they numbers with whole numbers as square roots?

Quote:

Old 10-29-2013, 08:41 PM   #981
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Quote:
I don't think so, but I'll take a stab at it.

Are they numbers with whole numbers as square roots?
No, not exactly. 28 is a perfect number. The reason is this:
28 is divisible with 14, 7, 4, 2 and 1
14 + 7 + 4 + 2 + 1 = 28

You see?

Old 10-29-2013, 08:44 PM   #982
country flag Pratik

Pratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes, I include defunct currencies as long as they were issued by the country in question.

I have some coins from some defunct countries as well. They're not included in the 189. If I add them I'd go above 194 for sure

I have quite a lot of Indian coins, actually. I tried to get one coin from as many Indian (princely) states and suchlike as I can, 17th and 18th century. They're not so easy to find, but I have a few. I haven't got my chart here at work, but from memory I have Baroda, Bundi, Dhar, Gwailor, Indore, Jodhpur, Kutch, Mysore and Travancore. I think that's it but I might have forgotten something. Then I have British India, French India, Portuguese India and Danish India (Tranquebar), as well, of course, as India proper, of which I have several different coins. If you want details I can give them later today.
Could you name the defunct countries?

Princely state coins would be really tough to get, and quite expensive too. Quite surprised that you have so many. Maybe they were all stolen by the British, so it's easier to get in Europe than India(that's not meant as a joke).

Do you have any of the Gulf rupee too?

Quote:
As a math nerd, of course I have.
Pratik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:55 PM   #983

Quote:
No, not exactly. 28 is a perfect number. The reason is this:
28 is divisible with 14, 7, 4, 2 and 1
14 + 7 + 4 + 2 + 1 = 28

You see?
Interesting! When should I learn about these? I'm in Algebra 2 ATM...

Quote:

Old 10-29-2013, 08:56 PM   #984
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratik View Post
Could you name the defunct countries?

Princely state coins would be really tough to get, and quite expensive too. Quite surprised that you have so many. Maybe they were all stolen by the British, so it's easier to get in Europe than India(that's not meant as a joke).

Do you have any of the Gulf rupee too?

As a math nerd, of course I have.
Sure. My list of defunct countries I have a coin from. From Europe:
BÖHMEN
DDR
HELVETIAN REPUBLIC (forerunner to Switzerland)
YUGOSLAVIA
LIVONIA
RAGUSA
SOVIET UNION
SCOTLAND (independent at the time)
CZECHOSLOVAKIA

From Asia:
KOREA (united)
MUSCAT & OMAN
NORTH VIETNAM
SOUTH VIETNAM
SOUTH ARABIA

As for my princely states coins, I regret to say I didn't have to spend a lot to get them, and I bought them here in Europe

Gulf Rupee? I'm not sure which coins are called gulf Rupees. But from India proper I have the following denominations:
10, 5, 2 and 1 Rupee(s)
50, 25, 20, 10, 5, 3, 2 ans 1 Paise(a)
1 Pice

I'm not surprised you've heard of perfect numbers

Old 10-29-2013, 08:58 PM   #985
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Quote:
When? I don't think I ever learned about them at school. Picked it up somewhere else. So I have no idea.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:15 PM   #986
country flag Pratik

Pratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sure. My list of defunct countries I have a coin from. From Europe:
BÖHMEN
DDR
HELVETIAN REPUBLIC (forerunner to Switzerland)
YUGOSLAVIA
LIVONIA
RAGUSA
SOVIET UNION
SCOTLAND (independent at the time)
CZECHOSLOVAKIA

From Asia:
KOREA (united)
MUSCAT & OMAN
NORTH VIETNAM
SOUTH VIETNAM
SOUTH ARABIA

As for my princely states coins, I regret to say I didn't have to spend a lot to get them, and I bought them here in Europe

Gulf Rupee? I'm not sure which coins are called gulf Rupees. But from India proper I have the following denominations:
10, 5, 2 and 1 Rupee(s)
50, 25, 20, 10, 5, 3, 2 ans 1 Paise(a)
1 Pice

I'm not surprised you've heard of perfect numbers
The bold ones are the only ones I guessed. Haven't even heard of some of the others.

The gulf rupee was the currency used in many of the Persian Gulf countries in the 60s and was issued by the government of India(yes, seriously). It was equivalent to the Indian rupee then. Sadly enough for the Indians, two of the contries which used that are now the highest valued currencies in the world. Kuwaiti dinar(more than double the British pound) and Bahraini dinar. At the same time, the Indian rupee went from being 13 to the pound then to 98 now.

You must have got the 10 Rupee coin quite recently. They have been in circulation only since 2005, unless you have a collectors edition which was not meant for circulation. They are many of those. Rs. 50, Rs. 100, minted only as collectors items, sometimes worth 100+ times the value printed.

I can't share any facts about my (small) coin collection. It's back at home. And the last time I tried to 'play around' with it was 5+ years ago(as I've been away from home since then) so don't remember much.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:25 PM   #987
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Quote:
The bold ones are the only ones I guessed. Haven't even heard of some of the others.

The gulf rupee was the currency used in many of the Persian Gulf countries in the 60s and was issued by the government of India(yes, seriously). It was equivalent to the Indian rupee then. Sadly enough for the Indians, two of the contries which used that are now the highest valued currencies in the world. Kuwaiti dinar(more than double the British pound) and Bahraini dinar. At the same time, the Indian rupee went from being 13 to the pound then to 98 now.

You must have got the 10 Rupee coin quite recently. They have been in circulation only since 2005, unless you have a collectors edition which was not meant for circulation. They are many of those. Rs. 50, Rs. 100, minted only as collectors items, sometimes worth 100+ times the value printed.

I can't share any facts about my (small) coin collection. It's back at home. And the last time I tried to 'play around' with it was 5+ years ago(as I've been away from home since then) so don't remember much.
Böhmen, Livonia and Ragusa disappeared centuries ago, swallowed up into other countries. I am not surprised you haven't heard of them.

The 10 Rupee coin is from 2006, so quite recent, yes.

I don't think I have a Gulf Rupee. My Gulf country coins tend to be newer. I have no Denar from Kuwait or Bahrain, just 5-50 Fils. That's something to look for, then

Yeah, I guessed you didn't have the details so I didn't ask...this might be an opportunity to add some European countries to your collection, though

Old 10-29-2013, 10:05 PM   #988
country flag Pratik

Quote:
Yeah, I guessed you didn't have the details so I didn't ask...this might be an opportunity to add some European countries to your collection, though
Details can wait for when I get back(anytime from 6 months to a few years).
Hmm, too add from Europe...Euro? Anything else will have to be bought. And that's not what I want to spend my student salaries on (Time to start investing). I haven't bought a single coin till now though. Managed to collect a lot by asking my travel-crazy family(extended extended family) to give me a few coins every time they went to a new country. That was a lot easier to do when I was a kid. Maybe that's why I stopped collecting. I have a decent amount of old(mid 1900s is old for me) coins though, which I don't entirely remember how i got.

Quote:
We have deep pocketshuge loans when it comes to anything, no matter how many trillions of dollars of debt we're in
Fixed

Quote:
Irrespective of whether that means High School Algebra, Linear algebra, Abstract algebra or Numerical Linear Algebra, I could help you out if you ever need it
Old 10-29-2013, 10:08 PM   #989
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Quote:
Details can wait for when I get back(anytime from 6 months to a few years).
Hmm, too add from Europe...Euro? Anything else will have to be bought. And that's not what I want to spend my student salaries on (Time to start investing). I haven't bought a single coin till now though. Managed to collect a lot by asking my travel-crazy family(extended extended family) to give me a few coins every time they went to a new country. That was a lot easier to do when I was a kid. Maybe that's why I stopped collecting. I have a decent amount of old(mid 1900s is old for me) coins though, which I don't entirely remember how i got.
I was thinking about Euro, yes. Perhaps they don't excite you? But with different designs on one of the sides, all coins can be identified as belonging to one country. And the lower denominations wouldn't set you back much if you put some of them aside.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:17 PM   #990
country flag Pratik

Quote:
I was thinking about Euro, yes. Perhaps they don't excite you? But with different designs on one of the sides, all coins can be identified as belonging to one country. And the lower denominations wouldn't set you back much if you put some of them aside.
Well, I already had all denominations of the Euro before coming here. I didn't know about the different designs in different countries though. I could collect those if I do travel(which would require quite a miracle though, as I hate travelling).