What is your opinion on Climate Change? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Do you believe in global warming?

No, there's not enough hard evidence. 11 13.58%
Maybe but I'm not so sure. Need more research. 8 9.88%
Yes but it's a natural cycle. Will cool down again. 11 13.58%
Yes but there's no proof it correlates to CO2 emissions. 4 4.94%
Yes and it's definitely the result of human activity. 46 56.79%
I really don't know. Let the experts decide for me. 1 1.23%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2009, 04:03 PM   #1
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute
Question What is your opinion on Climate Change?

Everybody has an opinion. No matter how well informed, please share.

The UN Climate Change Conference in Copenhagen (7-18 December) is fast approaching.

Do you believe in global warming?

No, there's not enough hard evidence.
Maybe but I'm not so sure. Need more research.
Yes but it's a natural cycle. Will cool down later.
Yes but there's no proof it correlates to CO2 emissions.
Yes and it's definitely the result of human activity.
I really don't know. Let the experts decide for me.

How catastrophic will the potential consequences be? With the melting of the ice caps difficult to predict.
Jimnik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2009, 04:29 PM   #2
country flag Iván
Banned!

Iván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is your opinion on Climate Change?

the force that created earth, human or whatever knows the destiny of the earth and when it will die.

lets not forget everything that is ''damaging the earth'' was created by earth itself.
Iván is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:35 PM   #3
country flag Stensland

Stensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond repute

(x) yes, and while it might be part of some natural cycle, man-made emissions make it much worse.

i don't think the first world (europe, north america, japan) will be directly affected. to some extent we might even turn out to be winners. natural resources in the polar regions are gonna be available etc.

however, hundreds of millions of people from africa and south east asia will try desperately to reach the first world, so the indirect impact will be equally earth-shattering.
Stensland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:49 PM   #4
country flag Bilbo

Bilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrainer View Post
however, hundreds of millions of people from africa and south east asia will try desperately to reach the first world, so the indirect impact will be equally earth-shattering.
that's one thing. the other one is the rising sea level because most big cities are built along the oceans. so big resettlements will be a major problem in the future which will take place for sure.

however, imo it doesn't matter because it will happen anyway sooner or later. to happen now would be better than in the future when the cities are even bigger. in the cretaceous the sea level was up to 300 m higher than today which means it can happen again.

many people think the situation as of now is bad but it will happen anyway sooner or later. people think if we "save the world" now we will have no problems.
Bilbo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:19 PM   #5
country flag LocoPorElTenis

LocoPorElTenis has a reputation beyond reputeLocoPorElTenis has a reputation beyond reputeLocoPorElTenis has a reputation beyond reputeLocoPorElTenis has a reputation beyond reputeLocoPorElTenis has a reputation beyond reputeLocoPorElTenis has a reputation beyond reputeLocoPorElTenis has a reputation beyond reputeLocoPorElTenis has a reputation beyond reputeLocoPorElTenis has a reputation beyond reputeLocoPorElTenis has a reputation beyond reputeLocoPorElTenis has a reputation beyond repute

While I and you can have an opinion, as we are dealing with a very complicated scientific fact, our opinion has as much weight as our opinion on whether dark matter exists or whether the Riemann hypothesis is true - i.e. none at all.

This is a topic which huge political implications (unlike the validity of the Riemann hypothesis), so that scientists working on it have no doubt a large amount of pressure, but I will still defer to the smart and prepared people that devote their life to researching this topic. The current consensus among the vast majority of this community is "Yes and it's definitely the result of human activity.".

If you want the truth, this is the best approximation we currently have (like all of science, it can be perfected and even corrected as our understanding and evidence improves). If you want to continue destroying the planet without hurting your conscience, feel free to hold any of the other opinions

PS. I am well aware that there are divergences within the scientific community. But the overwhelming consensus is that there is warming that is at least partly caused by human activity. There is no question also that "more research is needed" to get a better picture.
LocoPorElTenis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:20 PM   #6
country flag Stensland

Stensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
that's one thing. the other one is the rising sea level because most big cities are built along the oceans. so big resettlements will be a major problem in the future which will take place for sure.
rich nations will find a way to "defend" themselves, the dutch already invented quasi-swimming homes. it's banghladesh, the philippines or vanuatu that are gonna eventually pay the price.
Stensland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:25 PM   #7
country flag Garson007

Garson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond repute

The rising of sea levels will never be as drastic as a sudden 300m rise. At worst it will probably be half a meter a decade.
Garson007 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:00 PM   #8
country flag Bilbo

Bilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garson007 View Post
At worst it will probably be half a meter a decade.
that would be huge
Old 12-01-2009, 07:40 PM   #9
country flag ~*BGT*~

~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute

I believe it is a mixture of cycle and human activity. It's inevitable that the earth cools and warms in uncontrollable cycles, but I believe human activity surely exacerbates that.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
~*BGT*~ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:40 PM   #10
country flag Jōris

Jōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond repute

It's getting cold outside. We need more global warming and fast.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:49 PM   #11
country flag SpinLES

SpinLES has a reputation beyond reputeSpinLES has a reputation beyond reputeSpinLES has a reputation beyond reputeSpinLES has a reputation beyond reputeSpinLES has a reputation beyond reputeSpinLES has a reputation beyond reputeSpinLES has a reputation beyond reputeSpinLES has a reputation beyond reputeSpinLES has a reputation beyond reputeSpinLES has a reputation beyond reputeSpinLES has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iván View Post
the force that created earth, human or whatever knows the destiny of the earth and when it will die.

lets not forget everything that is ''damaging the earth'' was created by earth itself.
it's not about will earth "die"..it won't..at least for another 5 or 6 billion years til sun runs out of gas..it's about will our civilisation survive polution,overpopulation,nuclear wars or whatever..
SpinLES is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:53 PM   #12
country flag SpinLES

SpinLES has a reputation beyond reputeSpinLES has a reputation beyond reputeSpinLES has a reputation beyond reputeSpinLES has a reputation beyond reputeSpinLES has a reputation beyond reputeSpinLES has a reputation beyond reputeSpinLES has a reputation beyond reputeSpinLES has a reputation beyond reputeSpinLES has a reputation beyond reputeSpinLES has a reputation beyond reputeSpinLES has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=LocoPorElTenis;9376004]

This is a topic which huge political implications (unlike the validity of the Riemann hypothesis), so that scientists working on it have no doubt a large amount of pressure, /QUOTE]

this..and it's about $$$$ and who finances their work
SpinLES is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:09 PM   #13
country flag Bilbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinLES View Post
it's not about will earth "die"..it won't..at least for another 5 or 6 billion years til sun runs out of gas..it's about will our civilisation survive polution,overpopulation,nuclear wars or whatever..
the first big problem will be when oil runs out followed by other important natural resources.

overpopulation will also be a bigger problem than any climate change.

also imagine when the sea level rises and cities get flooded which will lead to a major pollution of the oceans.

to make it short. it doesn't look good at all and talking about the climate really is just a minor problem out of all these.

the problems will be so huge that i can't even describe them in any words.

Last edited by Bilbo : 12-01-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:40 PM   #14
country flag MalwareDie

MalwareDie has a reputation beyond reputeMalwareDie has a reputation beyond reputeMalwareDie has a reputation beyond reputeMalwareDie has a reputation beyond reputeMalwareDie has a reputation beyond reputeMalwareDie has a reputation beyond reputeMalwareDie has a reputation beyond reputeMalwareDie has a reputation beyond reputeMalwareDie has a reputation beyond reputeMalwareDie has a reputation beyond reputeMalwareDie has a reputation beyond repute

We are all doomed. It doesn't matter if climate change doesn't kill us.
MalwareDie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:43 PM   #15
country flag Certinfy

Certinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
that would be huge
Exactly.
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
if he loses this I will support Murray
Certinfy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote