What was the best sports year for you? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-20-2015, 01:09 AM   #1
country flag Luinir

Luinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond repute
Default What was the best sports year for you?

It was 2008 for me.

Tennis:

Rafael Nadal bagelled and destroyed Roger Federer in Roland Garros final, then beated him again in epic Wimbledon final. Won the gold medal for Spain at Olympics and got the #1 spot from Federer after 5 years. HUGE YEAR.

Basketball:

Boston Celtics won the title after beating rival LA Lakers. What a year that was. I stayed up until the morning and went to high school without any sleep. That was last day of the school and just came back after getting my pass degree. Then slept until the 5-6 PM, celebrated it in my way that evening since that was a huge day. (both my team won the title and that was start of the summer, good old days!)

Football:

My team Galatasaray won the Turkish League after making six wins in a row in the end of the league. We beated our biggest rival Fenerbahce at home and that was great, too. We had small team, Fenerbahce was better quality that time and even made Champions League QFs before losing to Chelsea after a close games. (that was Fenerbahce's best success in Europe) So it's huge when you win the league when your rival at their best!

Also that summer was great too. Usain Bolt was great, Olympics were great, too! Also, there was EURO 2008 in Switzerland & Austria which Spain won at the end. (Fernando Torres with the goal in the final, good old days!) My country Turkey were unbelievable in that tournament! We came back against Switzerland, Czech Republic and Croatia. Just felt short against Germany. (Lahm's 90th minute goal, sigh)
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2015, 11:00 AM   #2
country flag Federer-Fan

Federer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What was the best sports year for you?

Football : 2006 - the best World Cup I have seen so far, Lyon at his peak winning the French League and who could have maybe won the Champions League (QF lost to Milan after being qualified until the 88th minute).
Tennis : 2009 - Federer winning RG and Wimbledon with some epic matches.
Cycling : 2011 - great Tour de France, nice one day races as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kuerten
He will never win another title above 500 level
This comment was made right after Federer's loss to Tsonga in Toronto final. One week later, Federer won Cincinnati Masters, beating in the final Chris Kuerten's favorite player for the 16th time in 16 meetings.
Federer-Fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:33 PM   #3
country flag Orka_n

Orka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond repute

1994. Sweden took olympic gold in Hockey and bronze at the football world cup
Orka_n is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:48 PM   #4
country flag underspin

underspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond repute

2011 for footballing reasons.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:09 PM   #5
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

2004 because my family and I went to the Euros that year, amazing amazing time

Also 2012 because of the London Olympics and Murrays USO win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:27 PM   #6
country flag Federer-Fan

Federer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTim View Post
2004 because my family and I went to the Euros that year, amazing amazing time

Also 2012 because of the London Olympics and Murrays USO win.
I hope you all enjoyed Zidane's brace in the stoppage time against England...

Quote:
This comment was made right after Federer's loss to Tsonga in Toronto final. One week later, Federer won Cincinnati Masters, beating in the final Chris Kuerten's favorite player for the 16th time in 16 meetings.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:41 PM   #7
country flag samanosuke

samanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond repute

I was/am involved in too many sports so even when it is going great something has to spoil the party so it's really hard to pick one specific year because even when just one occasion goes wrong that isn't that.

If i have to pick entire year i would probably pick one of Fed's peak years when he was winning everything just the problem is that back in the days i didn't know to fully appreciate it because it was somehow normal and expected that he is winning everything. If now 50% of such year repeats i would be over the moon for years

Anyway probably top 3 most emotional moments:

1. Goran winning Wimbledon
2. Fed winning RG
3. Ramos' 90+3 goal

anyway too many to count it
Old 04-20-2015, 08:43 PM   #8
country flag electronicmusic

electronicmusic has a reputation beyond reputeelectronicmusic has a reputation beyond reputeelectronicmusic has a reputation beyond reputeelectronicmusic has a reputation beyond reputeelectronicmusic has a reputation beyond reputeelectronicmusic has a reputation beyond reputeelectronicmusic has a reputation beyond reputeelectronicmusic has a reputation beyond reputeelectronicmusic has a reputation beyond reputeelectronicmusic has a reputation beyond reputeelectronicmusic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by underspin View Post
2011 for footballing reasons.
Grand finale between Manchester City and Manchester United?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivo
Watching Serena play makes me self-conscious about the size of my biceps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivo
Watching Roger play makes me feel good about my biceps.
electronicmusic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:50 PM   #9
country flag Federer-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronicmusic View Post
It was in 2012.

Quote:
Old 04-20-2015, 08:56 PM   #10
country flag underspin

underspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federer-Fan View Post
I hope you all enjoyed Zidane's brace in the stoppage time against England...
A younger version of myself wanted the Czechs to win that tournament but also cheered when Charisteas thumped that header past Barthez. 2004 was England's best chance at winning an international tournament in my lifetime, with Rooney's potential seemingly limitless. Never again has he played with such freedom, it's a shame but was somewhat inevitable.

Quote:
No, Norwich's promotion to the Premier League on a tidal wave of last-gasp winners. I also enjoyed 2010, where that surge started and 2012, where I went to victories against Tottenham, Arsenal and Man United. The atmosphere at our ground has lost some of its camaraderie in the years since unfortunately.

2007 was also great because I was a massive Kimi Raikkonen fan, even though he was slightly past his best.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:56 PM   #11
country flag Ichbinmüde

Ichbinmüde has a reputation beyond reputeIchbinmüde has a reputation beyond reputeIchbinmüde has a reputation beyond reputeIchbinmüde has a reputation beyond reputeIchbinmüde has a reputation beyond reputeIchbinmüde has a reputation beyond reputeIchbinmüde has a reputation beyond reputeIchbinmüde has a reputation beyond reputeIchbinmüde has a reputation beyond reputeIchbinmüde has a reputation beyond reputeIchbinmüde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Nope, Norwich promoted to Premier League

RFederer, AMurray, DFerrer, KAnderson, GMüller.

Bel18ve, Hop3, F1ght, HopeFully, N0 Chance.
Ichbinmüde is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:59 PM   #12
country flag underspin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichbinmüde View Post
Nope, Norwich promoted to Premier League
I imagine that would have been his second guess :P
Old 04-20-2015, 10:56 PM   #13
country flag Crustaceok

Crustaceok has a reputation beyond reputeCrustaceok has a reputation beyond reputeCrustaceok has a reputation beyond reputeCrustaceok has a reputation beyond reputeCrustaceok has a reputation beyond reputeCrustaceok has a reputation beyond reputeCrustaceok has a reputation beyond reputeCrustaceok has a reputation beyond reputeCrustaceok has a reputation beyond reputeCrustaceok has a reputation beyond reputeCrustaceok has a reputation beyond repute

Garin - Lama - Jarry - Podlipnik - Malla

Unban JamieMU30
Crustaceok is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:15 AM   #14
country flag RamonBrazzers
Banned!

RamonBrazzers has a reputation beyond reputeRamonBrazzers has a reputation beyond reputeRamonBrazzers has a reputation beyond reputeRamonBrazzers has a reputation beyond reputeRamonBrazzers has a reputation beyond reputeRamonBrazzers has a reputation beyond reputeRamonBrazzers has a reputation beyond reputeRamonBrazzers has a reputation beyond reputeRamonBrazzers has a reputation beyond reputeRamonBrazzers has a reputation beyond reputeRamonBrazzers has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by samanosuke View Post
I was/am involved in too many sports so even when it is going great something has to spoil the party so it's really hard to pick one specific year because even when just one occasion goes wrong that isn't that.

If i have to pick entire year i would probably pick one of Fed's peak years when he was winning everything just the problem is that back in the days i didn't know to fully appreciate it because it was somehow normal and expected that he is winning everything. If now 50% of such year repeats i would be over the moon for years

Anyway probably top 3 most emotional moments:

1. Goran winning Wimbledon
2. Fed winning RG
3. Ramos' 90+3 goal

anyway too many to count it

This victory wasnt deserved,,
RamonBrazzers is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:31 AM   #15
country flag electronicmusic

electronicmusic has a reputation beyond reputeelectronicmusic has a reputation beyond reputeelectronicmusic has a reputation beyond reputeelectronicmusic has a reputation beyond reputeelectronicmusic has a reputation beyond reputeelectronicmusic has a reputation beyond reputeelectronicmusic has a reputation beyond reputeelectronicmusic has a reputation beyond reputeelectronicmusic has a reputation beyond reputeelectronicmusic has a reputation beyond reputeelectronicmusic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federer-Fan View Post
It was in 2012.
My bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivo
Watching Serena play makes me self-conscious about the size of my biceps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivo
Watching Roger play makes me feel good about my biceps.
electronicmusic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote