Upgrading to Windows 10 worth it? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-25-2015, 04:45 AM   #1
country flag Roger the Dodger

Roger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Upgrading to Windows 10 worth it?

I keep receiving those annoying pop-ups from Microsoft prompting me to "reserve my free upgrade".

I think it will be a hassle as I don't know how much of my corresponding softwares will be compatible to it. Obviously, Microsoft couldn't care less. What if I'm only left stranded with the dumb OS and will need to pay/wait for software upgrades compatible to the new OS?

Also no option for cancellation. Can only close the window till it pops up again

Any techxpert can comment?

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=679250
(Poll Options are serious - those who vote "No" shall face my wrath this Halloween, and y'll know 'twas I)
Roger the Dodger is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2015, 05:51 AM   #2
country flag bananans
-

bananans has a reputation beyond reputebananans has a reputation beyond reputebananans has a reputation beyond reputebananans has a reputation beyond reputebananans has a reputation beyond reputebananans has a reputation beyond reputebananans has a reputation beyond reputebananans has a reputation beyond reputebananans has a reputation beyond reputebananans has a reputation beyond reputebananans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Upgrading to Windows 10 worth it?

KB3035583(it's recommended, not critical update) windows update is the 'Get Windows 10' app. uninstall it if the pop-up is annoying. anyway later you can upgrade to windows 10 if you want
it's on google search
https://techjourney.net/disable-remo...tem-tray-icon/

Last edited by bananans : 07-25-2015 at 05:53 AM.
bananans is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:02 AM   #3
country flag Ace Pounder

Ace Pounder has a reputation beyond reputeAce Pounder has a reputation beyond reputeAce Pounder has a reputation beyond reputeAce Pounder has a reputation beyond reputeAce Pounder has a reputation beyond reputeAce Pounder has a reputation beyond reputeAce Pounder has a reputation beyond reputeAce Pounder has a reputation beyond reputeAce Pounder has a reputation beyond reputeAce Pounder has a reputation beyond reputeAce Pounder has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, that icon in the bar below that keeps coming back is annoying!
I love Windows Seven, no need to upgrade it.
Ace Pounder is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:00 AM   #4
country flag Pratik

Pratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond repute

From what I have seen, I have quite liked it.

But no point in shifting so early. Iirc, the upgrading to Windows 10 is free for the first year after it's release. So, till July next year. I'd wait for a few months to see what the first users say before shifting.
Pratik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:12 AM   #5

Roger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond repute

Really?

I thought they are insisting we MUST register for the upgrade by this July 29 itself as it will not be forever free.

(Poll Options are serious - those who vote "No" shall face my wrath this Halloween, and y'll know 'twas I)
Old 07-25-2015, 08:30 AM   #6
country flag Pratik

Pratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond repute

^ Yes.

See the first two answers here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...nMore_win10faq

You have till July 29th 2016 for the free upgrade.
Pratik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:06 PM   #7

Oh, awesome then. Will check opinions after six months.

EDIT: Though I'm pretty sure the first "users" will still be MS hacks.

Last edited by Roger the Dodger : 07-25-2015 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:17 AM   #8
country flag The Fogmeister
Bring It On!

The Fogmeister has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fogmeister has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fogmeister has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fogmeister has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fogmeister has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fogmeister has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fogmeister has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fogmeister has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fogmeister has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fogmeister has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fogmeister has a reputation beyond repute

Well, Windows 10 Technical Previews was great. May worth it, but it's not released yet, will be released July 29th.

The Generation Useless (89-92)

Nishikori - Raonic - Janowicz - Dimitrov - Tomic
Slam Count: 0
Longtime supporter of the 4th member! One day he will win a slam and I will be here to gloat!
The Fogmeister is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:50 PM   #9
country flag michael_fanny

michael_fanny has a reputation beyond reputemichael_fanny has a reputation beyond reputemichael_fanny has a reputation beyond reputemichael_fanny has a reputation beyond reputemichael_fanny has a reputation beyond reputemichael_fanny has a reputation beyond reputemichael_fanny has a reputation beyond reputemichael_fanny has a reputation beyond reputemichael_fanny has a reputation beyond reputemichael_fanny has a reputation beyond reputemichael_fanny has a reputation beyond repute

As someone else correctly pointed out, you get the annoying popup because "Windows Update" automatically updates your machine. I suggest you turn it off and update manually every two weeks or so.

I take it you're using Windows 8, if not, you should have KB2952664 also installed, an annoying popup to upgrade to Windows 8.

In the end you're the only one knowing whether it's time to upgrade or not. If you do all you want to do with your current OS, then there's no need to upgrade. Windows 7 will receive updates until 2020, Windows 8 will receive updates until 2023.
michael_fanny is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_fanny View Post
As someone else correctly pointed out, you get the annoying popup because "Windows Update" automatically updates your machine. I suggest you turn it off and update manually every two weeks or so.

I take it you're using Windows 8, if not, you should have KB2952664 also installed, an annoying popup to upgrade to Windows 8.

In the end you're the only one knowing whether it's time to upgrade or not. If you do all you want to do with your current OS, then there's no need to upgrade.
I am on Windows 8.1. When I brought my system, it had 8, and then there was this upgrade to 8.1. I sincerely didn't care much for the previous upgrade, as all my needs are met as it is. If at all, I am more concerned regarding the compatibility issues with the Win 10 OS, with old software. Thanks.

Quote:
Windows 7 will receive updates until 2020, Windows 8 will receive updates until 2023.
Can you link me to the source of this info?

Old 07-28-2015, 04:29 PM   #11
country flag HoorayBeer

HoorayBeer has a reputation beyond reputeHoorayBeer has a reputation beyond reputeHoorayBeer has a reputation beyond reputeHoorayBeer has a reputation beyond reputeHoorayBeer has a reputation beyond reputeHoorayBeer has a reputation beyond reputeHoorayBeer has a reputation beyond reputeHoorayBeer has a reputation beyond reputeHoorayBeer has a reputation beyond reputeHoorayBeer has a reputation beyond reputeHoorayBeer has a reputation beyond repute

Roger after you get Windows 10 review it so I will know whether to upgrade or not.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:39 PM   #12
country flag Loosie

Loosie has a reputation beyond reputeLoosie has a reputation beyond reputeLoosie has a reputation beyond reputeLoosie has a reputation beyond reputeLoosie has a reputation beyond reputeLoosie has a reputation beyond reputeLoosie has a reputation beyond reputeLoosie has a reputation beyond reputeLoosie has a reputation beyond reputeLoosie has a reputation beyond reputeLoosie has a reputation beyond repute

I've registered for the free upgrade but I'm not planning on upgrading yet, will likely wait until SP1 is released or the one year timeline is about to end.
Loosie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoorayBeer View Post
Roger after you get Windows 10 review it so I will know whether to upgrade or not.
I sure will, as can anyone else too, who is brave enough to commit, starting tomorrow. I probably won't till someone else has borne the consequences of the shift

*baits Pratik*

Old 07-28-2015, 08:49 PM   #14
country flag MTwEeZi

MTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond repute

OSX master race
Windows 7 master race

Nadal + Fedull = Nadull
Muger + Murray = Mugray
Fakerer + Djokovic = Fakervic

The Great Exposures of the Open Era
Muger Fedull: An Overpriced Haircut and Marketing
NOTHING MORE
MTwEeZi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:35 PM   #15
country flag barbadosan

barbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond repute

I've been running the RTM without any major issues, either soft or hardware. MY Logitech MX Mouse needs the special software that allows you to fiddle around with the 9 parts of the mouse to set it to do things - that needs upgrading, but the basic mouse driver is fine... haven't had any probs with 3 different office suites, DTP, a lot of different multimedia apps. Games - can't really say cos for the last few years I've tended to play casual games, and they don't tend to be over demanding of an OS

However, I did just install the new version of Linux Mint, because I was NOT impressed by their new plan to force automatic upgrades down your throat - although I see they're already beginning to walk back on that. Apparently it's likely that you'll have an option in the Pro version (that you'll have to ferret out) to delay to the point of bypassing driver and feature updates, but will still have to "accept" the security updates. Similar to the options Enterprise will have. Home edition however, is force feed time.

And came across this gif in "celebration" of the launch tomorrow

"We don't stop playing when we grow old. We grow old when we stop playing." - GOLeft
barbadosan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote