(-: Aww well! At least he shattered some shenanigans in Shanghai! :-) - Page 14 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #196
country flag Roger the Dodger

Roger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shattering Shenanigans in Shanghai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFed View Post
Why is every match between these two so shit lately? That was a terrible match.
This is what flummoxes me. Worst part is that in both matches, here and the Olympics one, Roger didn't seem like he wanted to win it. I really can't get that part of his psyche.

Perhaps he feels his tank is full, as far as accomplishments are concerned, but then again he feels he's still in the top, can compete for few more years naturally, and therefore tries to physically stay there... Blah blah blah ... nevermind. I might as well go play with my yo-yo now.

At least the shenanigans were shattered and he will return in one piece!
“What a fate: to be condemned to work for a firm where the slightest negligence at once gave rise to the gravest suspicion! Were all the employees nothing but a bunch of scoundrels, was there not among them one single loyal devoted man who, had he wasted only an hour or so of the firm's time in the morning, was so tormented by conscience as to be driven out of his mind and actually incapable of leaving his bed?”
- G.S; before his inevitable demise
Roger the Dodger is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #197
country flag Eden
#Hopp Suisse

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: (-: Aww well! At least he shattered some shenanigans in Shanghai! :-)

Roger will get him at the tournament which really counts - Basel
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:05 PM   #198
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: (-: Aww well! At least he shattered some shenanigans in Shanghai! :-)

Roger take a good rest!!! Fight back in Basel!!
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:05 PM   #199
country flag Eden
#Hopp Suisse

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

Presser from the QF:

R. FEDERER/M. Cilic

6 3, 6 4

An interview with:

ROGER FEDERER

Q. The next one coming up against Andy. You have had a couple good ones of late. What have you learned from the last two that you split about his game that you can bring to the table as an advantage tomorrow?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, obviously this is a different situation. It's not a final, first of all. Secondly, it's not best of five. It's more of a sprint than a marathon really.
Yeah, it changes up a little bit. But then again, we're the same players. Obviously more has happened for him in the last three months than for me. He had the breakthrough victory, if you like to call it that way, at the Open. The Olympics was, too, to some degree. Some people still weren't happy with that. It's amazing to see him back it up at the Open.
I assume he's very confident right now and probably playing with a little bit less pressure. Then again, that can go either way. It's been a long year for all of us.
I'm looking forward to the match. It's always great playing the best players. Those are the kind of matches you want to try to win because that can obviously then move the rankings by a little bit, even though it doesn't matter so much if you stay within the top four.
But basically at this point it's trying to give yourself a chance to win the title here. To come all this way to Shanghai, I'm looking forward to it, it's going to be a tough match, good one. Tactics, I haven't thought a lot about it to be honest. Interesting ones. He's playing a bit more offensive now than the last couple years. That's changed up a bit. It's pretty quick out here. We'll see if the rallies are going to be long or short. From my side, I haven't decided yet how I'm going to play.

Q. This is the 10th year since Shanghai had its big first tennis tournament in 2002. You're here seven times. I guess you're the right player to ask about the progress, development, how you feel about this the tournament, tennis as a whole?

ROGER FEDERER: There was a Shanghai Open way back when. I didn't play then. There wasn't a tournament here in 2003, 2004. Then the Masters Cup came here 2005. I've been here most of the times, except a couple times I missed out.
I've definitely seen changes in the city, changes since the EXPO here, changes of the venue. It's getting better every year. It's been voted by the players as one of the best tournaments on tour, for obvious reasons. One of the best sites on tour, if not the best. Plus players are very well taken care of and all those things. So it's super professionally run and I really enjoy myself here as well.
It's a bit of a long trip from outside of the city. If you drive 45 minutes, 1 hour 15, it's not that big of a difference.
It's a great tournament. I love it here. Hopefully I can come back more often in the future, as well.

Q. Over the last few years, probably nobody has played Murray more than you. I'm wondering what kind of input Paul brings to the table with Andy, having worked within the British setup, LTA, Davis Cup.

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I haven't played him that often. Before Dubai, I hardly played him for one and a half years. Of course, we know each other very well. I think he played Novak and Rafa more in the last couple of years now. This year we played three times. I'm not sure if we played more.
Yeah, I mean, look, Paul knows Andy well. Andy has improved immensely since I guess Paul sort of worked with him. I don't feel like I have the insight kind of guy with Paul. Andy keeps on evolving, my game changes over time, you adapt to the surface, you adapt to how things have gone in that particular tournament and maybe the last couple times you've played. Obviously Andy and myself, we've got to look back at the two Wimbledon matches we played and draw from there, you know.
Obviously, I hope that Paul can give me some good input tomorrow and I can use that to win. But I don't know if it's that much of an advantage that he's so much coached him in Davis Cup. I think it's a bit farfetched to be honest.

Q. I was trying.

ROGER FEDERER: Of course. Why not (smiling).

Q. You mention Andy is a more offensive player than he used to be. Do you think that is what made the difference to him this summer in winning the Olympics and the US Open?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, maybe a little bit. I mean, I believe he could have won Grand Slams also playing the way he was a few years ago. But I think it gives himself more opportunities like that.
You know, I think the big difference is he's returning from further in the court now, whereas back in the day he used to return back on second serves. I'm talking back. Not like a clay courter, but he kind of gave you always the first hit. By virtue of returning further in, it takes time away.
He's got great hands, great anticipation, great reaction. I guess it's the right way to play. It's paid off. Now he's obviously in his absolute prime. Hit fitness, his mind, his game is all coming together now when he wants it.
I think all the previous sort of five years, if you like, experience in his game has paid off, which I'm happy for him.

Q. Tomas is kind of on the fringe of you four guys. Why do you think he hasn't broken through?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, look, I mean, he's had a rough summer. He's playing well now since Winston Salem, US Open and now here. He lost back to back first rounds in Wimbledon, Olympics, didn't have a great French Open I don't think. So there you go. By losing early in three of those big tournaments, you know, it's hard to crack the top four, to be honest. At least he has the game to beat some of the top guys from time to time. It will be interesting to see the match tomorrow with Djokovic.
Yeah, I mean, look, the top four play incredibly consistent, plus we split slams. So at this point almost you need a slam to break the top four. So there you go. That's what it takes. He's come close. I think he's been in one final. So has Jo Willy. Ferrer has almost been there as well.
Yeah, it takes something extraordinary like what Del Potro did some years back. It's not that easy because right now you probably have to beat two or three of those top guys to make it there. That's the difficulty.

Q. As somebody who takes a political role in the ATP, I'm curious how you feel about the combined events, not at the slams? Do you like them? Don't you like them? Why?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, look, it's a tricky situation because obviously it all depends on if the site is big enough. I can understand that some tournaments like the setup of having men's and women's at the same event. Some shouldn't have it, but they still have it.
I don't think it should be a trend. That was the trend of former ATP CEO de Villiers, to have more combined events, make them bigger, make them grow, four out of eight Masters 1000s combined. That's the time we live in right now, still being affected by that. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm not saying it's great. It's always dangerous to go one direction.
I am pretty relaxed about it. Either way I think whatever works for the game and works for the fans and works for the site and the media I'm okay with. It's just got to be well thought through really.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #200
country flag barbadosan

barbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond repute

I keep promising not to get involved in stuff in GM, but honestly, some of the drivel that's spouted makes it hard not to respond

"We don't stop playing when we grow old. We grow old when we stop playing." - GOLeft
barbadosan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:50 PM   #201
country flag kissakiss

kissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond repute

Transcript of SF press conference.

kissakiss is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #202
country flag barbadosan

barbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond repute

He still sounds as if he plans (right now) to play Paris as well

"We don't stop playing when we grow old. We grow old when we stop playing." - GOLeft
barbadosan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:08 PM   #203
country flag Roger the Dodger

Roger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKTUEN View Post
Roger take a good rest!!! Fight back in Basel!!
Because you spoke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbadosan View Post
He still sounds as if he plans (right now) to play Paris as well
He's scheduled to, but if he wins Basel, he'll surely skip.

Roger's not gonna play three weeks straight (anymore), but I can live with it.
“What a fate: to be condemned to work for a firm where the slightest negligence at once gave rise to the gravest suspicion! Were all the employees nothing but a bunch of scoundrels, was there not among them one single loyal devoted man who, had he wasted only an hour or so of the firm's time in the morning, was so tormented by conscience as to be driven out of his mind and actually incapable of leaving his bed?”
- G.S; before his inevitable demise
Roger the Dodger is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #204
country flag samanosuke

samanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks

What are your thoughts about upcoming tournaments ? Regarding level of play Shanghai was probably his worst tournament of the year, he played even weaker than in RG. I am afraid he could be in post USO hangover like in '09 when IMO he played some of his worst tennis since he became R. Federer
Old 10-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #205
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Fed mentioned he lacked the training blocks this year and that's true. I don't think he had one proper one. Not the one early in the year nor the ones after Wimbledon/USO. With that being said, I hope he can rest properly and play well in Basel and London.

I am really not optimistic about both now, as Murray looks really motivated and in-form whilst RF seems to be suffering from the hangover from Wimbledon and Olympics. I just hope he keeps #2 for the AO.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

On winning DC and its overall importance in the discussion for all-time greats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbis View Post
Davis Cup should never have really mattered in the GOAT discussion anyway since it's a team event. If you're talking about the GOAT singles player then you should mainly look at individual results.
If some unknown talent came out of some random tiny country (no chance to win DC) and won 20 slams, no one would give a single shit if that player didn't have DC. The fact is, success in DC is largely determined by what country you come from or play for in the first place, which most players haven't had any control over.
Looner is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:08 AM   #206
country flag Fed_Ds

Fed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond repute

just knew it was gonna be a bad day when he only made 1/5 first serves in the first game of the match.
Sigh. At least he has 300 weeks secured @ #1. Was freaking out when he lost the first set to Stan
so it wasn't all bad. Hope he gets more practice before Basel and finds his first serve! And footwork!
Fed_Ds is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:26 AM   #207
country flag Fed_Ds

Fed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond repute

Roger is already leaving Shanghai ,from facebook:

Quote:
Roger Federer
22 minutes ago via Email_upload
Leaving China...It was such a special trip to Shanghai. The fans were absolutely amazing. Thanks so much, I will always remember your support!
http://www.facebook.com/Federer
Fed_Ds is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:58 AM   #208
country flag Federer in 2

Federer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Great, didn't like him being there from the beginning.
Does anybody have Basel's entry list?

ROGER FEDERER

'Roger Federer is the best ever' - Everyone else other than John McEnroe

4 AO - 1 RG - 7 W - 5 USO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadalfan2013 View Post
Standing ovation for Nadal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadalfan2013 View Post
Standing ovation for Federer. Disgusting.
#NoBiasTho
Federer in 2 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:14 AM   #209
country flag alypen

alypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shattering Shenanigans in Shanghai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFed View Post
Why is every match between these two so shit lately?
Well, the Wimby final was a good one. Would have been even better if both were playing really well at the same time, though. As for the Olympics, I still reckon that Fed was probably still mentally worn out from that semi against Del Potro. But it sounds as though this one was pretty bad (I haven't seen it). Trouble is, I spent yesterday finally catching up with the Fed/Djokovic Wimby semi, and seeing how stunningly well Fed was playing in the last set, so it's been a bit of a shock to go from that to hearing how he played today (well, yesterday now, I suppose).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashkatik View Post
Great, didn't like him being there from the beginning.
Must admit, under the circumstances, I've been more concerned about him getting back to his family safe and well than whether he was going to win the tournament.
alypen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:45 AM   #210
country flag hilluis

hilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond repute

300 weeks at no 1 is a nice round number. Rog is tired - to be expected after winning 6 titles this year ... playingWimbledon, Olympics.... US Open and Davis Cup one after the other. Even the supposed youngsters ( Nadal/Djoko) are usually tired after playing well the first half of the year. I dont expect too much from the indoor tournaments but it would be great if Roger can play well and tap into his supreme indoor form. However, it sounds as if he needs both rest and practice and is tired of the mental battle of winning matches.
hilluis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote