Did anyone here notice how Raonic improved his "pushing" abilities? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-06-2012, 09:20 AM   #1
country flag Satasonic

Satasonic has a reputation beyond reputeSatasonic has a reputation beyond reputeSatasonic has a reputation beyond reputeSatasonic has a reputation beyond reputeSatasonic has a reputation beyond reputeSatasonic has a reputation beyond reputeSatasonic has a reputation beyond reputeSatasonic has a reputation beyond reputeSatasonic has a reputation beyond reputeSatasonic has a reputation beyond reputeSatasonic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Did anyone here notice how Raonic improved his "pushing" abilities?

I dont really know how to call this, but he didnt do it before. Today, for example, when he saw that Murray was starting to dictate the points in the second and third set tiebreaks, he started to push, almost like Simon. It was actually a good plan, because Murray made really bad errors. He didnt use to do this in the past, but now he uses all sorts of puffballs and moonballs to throw the opponent off pace. Another example was the minibreak in the third set tiebreak, Murray put a good serve in which Milos returned short, but then Murray failed terribly on the forehand.

Anyone else noticed it?

RAONIC

AND ALL OTHER SERVEBOTS

SERVEBOTS ARE TENNIS
Satasonic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
country flag m9m9m9m9m9

m9m9m9m9m9 has a reputation beyond reputem9m9m9m9m9 has a reputation beyond reputem9m9m9m9m9 has a reputation beyond reputem9m9m9m9m9 has a reputation beyond reputem9m9m9m9m9 has a reputation beyond reputem9m9m9m9m9 has a reputation beyond reputem9m9m9m9m9 has a reputation beyond reputem9m9m9m9m9 has a reputation beyond reputem9m9m9m9m9 has a reputation beyond reputem9m9m9m9m9 has a reputation beyond reputem9m9m9m9m9 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did anyone here notice how Raonic improved his "pushing" abilities?

yes, Milos has a tendency to resort to "pushing mode" at critical moment when he's not feeling good with his attacking game. Not sure if this is a good thing
m9m9m9m9m9 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:40 AM   #3
country flag Satasonic

Satasonic has a reputation beyond reputeSatasonic has a reputation beyond reputeSatasonic has a reputation beyond reputeSatasonic has a reputation beyond reputeSatasonic has a reputation beyond reputeSatasonic has a reputation beyond reputeSatasonic has a reputation beyond reputeSatasonic has a reputation beyond reputeSatasonic has a reputation beyond reputeSatasonic has a reputation beyond reputeSatasonic has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, its an excellent thing to have pushing mixed in with attacking tennis. On these slow courts and slow conditions in today's tennis it is critical to have some sort of defence to return to. Movement will never be Milos' strength, therefore he needs to have pushing in order to return into position.

If you take yesterdays match with Tipsarevic, at 7-7 (?) he pushed and pushed but then released an amazing backhand which Tipsarevic wasnt even ready to. Today was the same against Murray, paid off well in the end.

RAONIC

AND ALL OTHER SERVEBOTS

SERVEBOTS ARE TENNIS
Satasonic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #4
country flag MaratandMilos

MaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, he's able to adequately push. I don't like when he does it, though (it's usually a sign that he's nervous). He can get by doing it against lesser players who are more prone to errors. But if he wants to win against the top, true elite regularly in the future, he has to end points quickly and not try to out-rally guys like Djokovic, Federer, Murray, and Ferrer. He did that pretty well with his attacks today against Andy.
MaratandMilos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaratandMilos View Post
Yeah, he's able to adequately push. I don't like when he does it, though (it's usually a sign that he's nervous). He can get by doing it against lesser players who are more prone to errors. But if he wants to win against the top, true elite regularly in the future, he has to end points quickly and not try to out-rally guys like Djokovic, Federer, Murray, and Ferrer. He did that pretty well with his attacks today against Andy.
this is true in essence. but it leads to a kind of confidence crisis that leads a player like Milos into errors. he tries to hit a winner where there isn't one available (he's out of position, or the margin is too small). "Oh my God, I'm in a rally!! I have to end it right away!!! " That's not a healthy mindset.

It's good to be able to construct a point, and to have the confidence to hit a few "pushing" shots back until you get the shot you want, on which you can unload.

In principle, yes, he should end the points early, and not seek to play long points. But he mustn't give off the impression that he's "afraid" of rallies.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:07 AM   #6
country flag Marcoo

Marcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know, If yes than congrats to him
Marcoo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #7
country flag romismak

romismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond repute

Yes he is pushing already some time, actually in many matches in last months he was to passive, staying far behind baseline and from BH mostly he is pushing, but here in Tokyo he is playing nice agressive tennis - powerfull hitting from both wings, even his BH DTL is clicking, but some pushing is good to slow down rallies, but agree he can´t do it vs top players, they won´t give him many errors. But it can work sometimes - definitely he can´t play offensive tennis going for winners all the time-especially in moments-games when he is missing and making UE - than going to pushing mode for some rallies is maybe right solution. But mostly he should be agressive player - big hitter, even on return he should go for his shots, he has one of most powerfull groundstrokes so unless he is playing another big hitter he should be the one dictating and creating pace, playing agressive.
romismak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #8
country flag Sombrerero loco

Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, he improved his movement a little bit too. it will take time though

Jerzy Janowicz/Bernard the aTomic /Thanasi Kokkinakis/Kei Nishikori

John Millman / Javier Martí/Taro Daniel-Jules Marie-Josh Milton

Henkka Kontinen
-Nick Kyrgios-Henri Laaksonen- Attila Balazs- Pierre Hugues Herbert-Alex Bolt-Marcus Willis-Kristijan Mesaros-Brydan Klein-Chris Rungkat-Piotr Gadomski-Hugo Nys-Pol Toledo
www.tennisalternative.com
Sombrerero loco is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:42 AM   #9
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

I like how when Raonic is beating guys ranked below him and then beats a great player his movement has all of a sudden improved.

I also like how when Raonic loses crucial points by standing 10 feet behind the baseline and moonballing, it's a bad tactic, but when he gets away with it, he's all of a sudden improved in this aspect of "pushing" and it has become a good tactic.

Typical members of this forum
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #10
country flag TBkeeper

TBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
I like how when Raonic is beating guys ranked below him and then beats a great player his movement has all of a sudden improved.

I also like how when Raonic loses crucial points by standing 10 feet behind the baseline and moonballing, it's a bad tactic, but when he gets away with it, he's all of a sudden improved in this aspect of "pushing" and it has become a good tactic.

True story

SLAMS: 4 SEMIS, 6 QUARTERS
WTF: 1 TITLE, 1 FINAL, 1 SEMI
MASTERS: 3 TITLES, 5 SEMIS, 10 QUARTERS
TITLES: 21
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 482-329
TBkeeper is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #11
country flag atennisfan

atennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post

+1
People need to wake up. Olderer is not winning anymore slams - neither is he going to become #1.
atennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #12
country flag Moozza

Moozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond repute

Murray just gave him the errors today. If Andy had played decently Raonics pushing would have lost him the match.

MULTISLAMRAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

DISPUTABLE REAL NO.1

SPORTSPERSON OF THE YEAR 2013!!!!+ Humanitarian world no.1 2014
Moozza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #13
country flag MaxPower

MaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond repute

Raonic is still improving but he should never rely on pushing to win matches. That should only be his desperation weapon if the normal game doesn't work.

His strength is good serve and heavy groundstrokes. Movement is OK but it will never be his strength
MaxPower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #14
country flag n8

n8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satasonic View Post
I dont really know how to call this, but he didnt do it before. Today, for example, when he saw that Murray was starting to dictate the points in the second and third set tiebreaks, he started to push, almost like Simon. It was actually a good plan, because Murray made really bad errors. He didnt use to do this in the past, but now he uses all sorts of puffballs and moonballs to throw the opponent off pace. Another example was the minibreak in the third set tiebreak, Murray put a good serve in which Milos returned short, but then Murray failed terribly on the forehand.

Anyone else noticed it?
This rally cracks me up, especially as it is in a so called highlights reel (granted it is set point):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtRy6k9-0Cg#t=3m44s
n8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #15
country flag Orange Wombat
Banned!

Orange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatRacket View Post
This rally cracks me up, especially as it is in a so called highlights reel (granted it is set point):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtRy6k9-0Cg#t=3m44s
Raonic plays like a claycourter sometimes, running around to hit his forehand and with lots of spin
Orange Wombat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote