How to make the season less gruelling? Or should it be any less gruelling? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to make the season less gruelling? Or should it be any less gruelling?

What are your thoughts about how to make the season less gruelling, or does it have to be any less gruelling?

I think the season should be made less gruelling. It’s too difficult, if not impossible, to play all slams and TMSs one’s best tennis. There’s that proposal about moving Paris TMS to February and having WTF right after the Shanghai TMS. But there are a couple of things I don’t like in that. First of all, I don’t know if a shorter season is a solution to the problem of gruelling season. Top players like Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic have so often not played between AO and Dubai, which is smart, that’s the only part of the season when a top player can have a break of a month and not miss a slam or TMS. But ATP is planning to move Paris TMS to February which would make the season one month shorter, but take that one-month break away from the top players.

Another thing I don’t like in that proposal is that it’d mean there would be less weeks for indoor tournaments, which would be a bad thing for good indoor players. So, after all, I don’t like about that proposal. But how could the season be made less gruelling then? I think the calendar got worse when they gave a TMS to Shanghai. When that TMS was in Madrid, the gap after USO could be longer, European indoor TMS can be closer to Paris TMS. And as Madrid could be a bit later, players could rest more after USO. But downgrading Shanghai is probably not an option for ATP. But what if they made TMSs non-mandatory? That’d enable players to schedule their season as they want, and they could have breaks during the season as they don’t have to care about a mandatory TMS. Or what if the ranking system would be changed so that a couple of tournaments less are counted?

As players are able to play so many exhos during the off-season, I don’t think the season is necessarily too long. I just think players have to play too much, and that wouldn’t change even if they moved Paris TMS to February and have WTF right after Shanghai TMS.

Stan Wawrinka
The Saviour of Tennis
Australian Open 2014: Ended Nadal-Djokovic-Murray dominance in Slams
Monte Carlo 2014: Ended Nadal-Djokovic dominance in Masters
August is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
country flag IOFH

IOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to make the season less gruelling? Or should it be any less gruelling?

Season is fine as it is (except for the ridiculous decision of going back-to-back-to-back with Basel-Paris-WTF. Less talented players should just manage their schedule better, their inferiority shouldn't be a reason to bail them out.

17 6 21 77
IOFH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote