College Players (for those without a thread) - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-01-2012, 01:15 AM   #1
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute
Default College Players (for those without a thread)

I don't feel like creating a thread for every college player.

Congrats to Daniel Nguyen on his title @ Irvine futures:

(SE)Daniel Nguyen (USA) d. (SE)Marcos Giron (USA) 6-0 6-4
(SE)Daniel Nguyen (USA) d. (5)Dennis Novikov (USA) 7-6(5) 6-2
(SE)Daniel Nguyen (USA) d. (2)Austin Krajicek (USA) 6-2 2-6 6-3
(SE)Daniel Nguyen (USA) d. Chris Wettengel (USA) 6-4 6-2
(SE)Daniel Nguyen (USA) d. (1)Alex Bogdanovic (GBR) 7-5 6-2

Quote:
At the $10,000 Irvine California Futures, Daniel Nguyen won his first singles title as a professional, beating top seed Alex Bogdanovic of Great Britain 7-5, 6-2 in today's final. Nguyen, who along with Steve Johnson, won his fourth straight NCAA team title at USC in May, received a special exemption into the draw by making the quarterfinals the previous week. In addition to beating Bogdanovic, Nguyen also defeated No. 5 seed Dennis Novikov in a rematch of their NCAA team semifinal match at No. 3 singles, also won by Nguyen, and No. 2 seed Austin Krajicek. Zootennis
Also, Ryan Thacher is into the final qualifying round of the 100k Sacramento Challenger. He defeated No.5 seed A. Pavic 64 63. Will play Simmonds next. It would be cool if he can join his fellow Stanford grad, Bradley Klahn, in the maindraw. Good luck.

Tennis Account: https://twitter.com/ARhyneMoment
Youtube Channel: youtube.com/SapELee485
Rhyne's Picture Thread
Rhyne Williams FB Updates

Last edited by SapELee : 06-15-2013 at 05:25 PM.
SapELee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2013, 01:12 AM   #2
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: College Players (for those without a thread)

2nd singles title for Daniel.

15k Korea F1 Finals
Singles: (6)Daniel Nguyen (USA) d. (5)Jung-Woong Na (KOR) 6-1 6-4
Doubles: (1)Jason Jung (USA)/Daniel Nguyen (USA) d. (4)Hong Chung (KOR)/Sang-Woo Noh (KOR) 7-5 6-1

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 05-12-2013, 02:07 PM   #3
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Congrats to Daniel on his 2nd consecutive and 3rd overall title @ 15k Korea F2

(6)Daniel Nguyen (USA) d. (WC)Ku Keon Kang (KOR) 6-3 6-1
(6)Daniel Nguyen (USA) d. Wishaya Trongcharoenchaikul (THA) 6-3 6-7(6) 6-0
(6)Daniel Nguyen (USA) d. (1)Enrique Lopez-Perez (ESP) 7-5 6-3
(6)Daniel Nguyen (USA) d. Cheong-Eui Kim (KOR) 6-2 6-4
(6)Daniel Nguyen (USA) d. (8)Hyeon Chung (KOR) 4-6 7-5 6-4

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 05-31-2013, 12:58 AM   #4
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Cool article on Jarmere Jenkins and his family: http://chronicle.com/blogs/players/u...-promise/33107

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 05-31-2013, 02:41 AM   #5
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute

I loved Jarmaine when he played at Clemson. The brothers got better the younger they got. Jackie was the oldest and was decent at Northwestern, Jarmaine the middle kid and he was a solid #1/2 at Clemson (flipped with Reix all the time) and was top 50 in the country. Jarmere the youngest played on a top team and made the singles final.

So if they can manage to have 1 more then maybe the family will produce a top 50 pro.

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #6
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

So Jenkins is moving to Boca: https://twitter.com/JarmereJenkins/s...91477078581249

As much as I love Rhyne and Tennys, Jarmere might be better off staying away from them

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 06-15-2013, 05:22 PM   #7
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I fully support this

An Interview with USTA's Collegiate Team National Coach Dustin Taylor

Quote:
The United States Tennis Association's Collegiate Team has been a part of the USTA's commitment to college tennis since 1996, but beginning this spring, it's taking a new direction.

Taylor is USTA National Coach of Collegiate Tennis
© ZooTennis.com
USTA Player Development National Coach Dustin Taylor was selected to take over responsibility for the program, and he began formulating his strategies for assisting college players in February.

A native of Portland, Oregon, Taylor spent two of his teenage years at the Bollettieri Academy in Bradenton, Florida. After graduating from high school in Portland, Taylor spent a year competing for the Wisconsin Badgers before transferring to Tulsa, where he was an All-American in doubles in 2003. His longtime association with the DePalmer family, which initially led to his time at Bollettieri's, continued when he coached Rhyne Williams, former Tennessee head coach Mike DePalmer's grandson, during Williams' early years in junior tennis.

After briefly using his Tulsa business degree in a sales position, Taylor returned to tennis, coaching local juniors. Before long he became a pro touring coach, working with Brian Wilson, Robert Kendrick, Ryan Sweeting and Tim Smyczek. In 2010, Taylor joined the USTA, working with both young professionals and juniors before taking on his new responsibilities.

At the NCAA Division I Championships at the University of Illinois last month, I spoke with Taylor about his new position and his goals for the USTA Collegiate Team.

Questions and Answers

Colette Lewis (CL): Why did the USTA decide to create a National Coach of Collegiate Tennis?

Dustin Taylor (DT): We've been taking care of college players, but we never really had a structure to it. The USTA never presented itself as we really, really support college tennis as a real viable pathway to professional tennis. We thought it, but we never really knew how to go about it. So we had the idea of having the collegiate summer team, let's turn that into a year-round team, where college coaches can give their players an opportunity to play tournaments in the fall, pro events, and in the spring, where the school doesn't have to take them, doesn't have to pay.

When they gave me the job, they just said, 'You're a resource for college tennis, do what you want with it.' And I sat back in the chair and said, 'Where do I start?' But I said I think everything needs to be based around this collegiate team, bringing six or eight or 12 of the best players together where I can build a relationship with the players and build a relationship with their coaches. The biggest thing is the relationships and the communication, and the women's side is where I really need to build the relationships. That's probably the No. 1 thing in my job, to let the coaches know I'm a resource.

CL: What led to you accept the job?

DT: Being one of the few college guys on the national staff, I really felt it was my calling. Obviously if they were going to hire from outside, it would be a great job for a number of coaches around the country. But I was on the national staff and probably the most supportive person of college tennis, and have relationships with guys like Jarmere Jenkins, Mitchell Frank, who have been a part of the collegiate team. So I said I would do it.

Robin Anderson of UCLA is on the 2013 team
© ZooTennis.com
I'm such a big advocate of college tennis - what it can do for young men and young women, their character. Of course their tennis, but more importantly, life. I think the players who go though college, and go out on tour and don't make it, they're fine. But a lot of the ones who skip out on college, go out on the tour and don't make it? I worry about them. Just the maturity aspect, playing for something larger than yourself, the team, all that is so crucial.

CL: When did you make the transition from your previous duties at USTA?

DT: My last tournament with the pros was at the SAP Open in San Jose, and I went up to the National Indoors for the men from San Jose, and it's sort of been off to the races from there. It was dual season, so it was a good time to gather my thoughts and figure out how to hit the ground running with it, how the vision can all come together.

CL: What is the criterion for selection?

DT: The first objective was to get the collegiate team rebranded, make it merit-based so you're really proud to be a part of the team.

If you win the All-American, the Indoor or the NCAAs, you're automatically a part of the team. If you're the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Rookie of the Year, you're on the team. If you're top 750 ATP or Top 500 WTA, you're on the team. Those are your automatic qualifiers. For the men, the player that picks up the most points on the Pro Circuit in June, including the Pittsburgh Futures and Winnetka Challenger and excluding Innisbrook, that's one spot on the team as well.*

For example, this year Lauren Embree won the All-American, Robin Anderson the Indoor, Nicole Gibbs and Krista Hardebeck are Top 500 WTA and Julia Elbaba is the Rookie of the Year, so the other seven invited to the camp will play off for the last spot.

Next year, no American could win anything, so you give out invites to 12 and the camp will determine all six.

The six that are on the team, you get a clothing sponsor, Athletic DNA, you get the coaching and you get the grant money. For the other six who are invited to the camp, who don't make the team, but show up at the camp, they get grant money as well for that summer. But they don't get their hotels paid for. I don't want to say they won't get coaching, because we're going to try to help everyone, but there has to be some incentive to make the team.....read more

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 06-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

^Players competing for a spot on the team.

Quote:
*The 12 players invited to compete at this year's camps:

MEN:

Jarmere Jenkins**
Alex Domijan**
Peter Kobelt
Ryan Lipman
Evan King
Marcos Giron
Kyle McMorrow
Ray Sarmiento
Jeremy Efferding
Andre Dome
Dennis Novikov**
Mitchell Frank

**already member of team based on established criteria

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 06-22-2013, 11:52 PM   #9
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Playing his first futures of the year, Jamere Jenkins is in the the final of Amelia Island. Will play Dennis Novikov whom he beat in the NCAA team final last month. Also Jamere won the doubles title with Mac Styslinger.

Rhyne's Picture Thread

Last edited by SapELee : 06-23-2013 at 01:43 AM.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:51 AM   #10

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute

Impressive tournament from Jason Tahir as well who plays no higher than 6 for Duke. He has a unique way of hitting his forehand to create a flat and precise shot.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:50 PM   #11
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Lost 61 67(4) 46, but great week for Jamere. His professional career has just begun; good luck for the rest of the year. If he does well this summer, should at least get a USO qualifying wildcard.

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 06-30-2013, 02:07 AM   #12
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Jarmere is in the final of Rochester, avenging his loss to Novikov on the way. Will play fellow UVA alumni, Michael Shabaz.

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 06-30-2013, 09:03 PM   #13
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

57 62 62 Congrats to Jarmere on his first pro title.

Quote:
Jarmere Jenkins ‏@JarmereJenkins 1h

Got my first pro title today #Hoos http://instagram.com/p/bMfsaFl4dG/

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 07-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #14

I wonder where Shabaz went. It's been a while since he has played good tennis. Remember when he made the Charlottesville final and beat Nishikori there?

Old 03-24-2014, 03:36 AM   #15

Marcos Giron doing quite well these days