TT 2012 - Wild cards? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Wild cards in TT?

Yes (please specify which system you prefer) 12 27.27%
No 32 72.73%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-30-2012, 11:56 PM   #1
country flag keqtqiadv
2013 WS CHAMPS

keqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond repute
Default TT 2012 - Wild cards?

One of the most (un)popular topics of the off-season. It's brought up (and promptly rejected) every off-season. After the last changes period, we decided to open a separated thread for this topic, in order to give the WC supporters a better chance of exposing their ideas and reduce the constant repetitions/rejections of this subject.

Poll time (TT players only). Do you think WCs should be implemented? If yes, please specify which of the ideas (or combination of ideas) you would prefer:

- WC for challenger champions

- WC points based system

- Grand Slam WC(s) - Challenger points (preceeding the GS)

- WC for challenger champions - special occasions only

- WC for defending champions

- Managers choice

- WC for managers

- Nationality

- Other

These are some of the points that should be considered:

- Which events should give WCs
- Number of WCs per tournament
- Number of WCs per player
- Who should be eligible to get a WC
- Benefits of a WC system x amount of additional work/complications it may cause

Last edited by keqtqiadv : 10-26-2012 at 01:14 AM.
keqtqiadv is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2012, 11:59 PM   #2
country flag Freak3yman84

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TT 2012 - Wild cards?

I think they shouldn't be allowed because it takes up space and allows less people to get into the MD directly. Plus, the WC thing might be biased based on who gets to choose the WC

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but four

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul) W Cordenons (w/dinkulpus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Freak3yman84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:20 AM   #3
country flag ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond repute

YES - they should be allowed. We try so hard to be as realistic as possible in every other facet of TT, but somehow when the wildcard issue is raised people start questioning its effect on the integrity of the game. Please...
ibreak4coffee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:22 AM   #4

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, now that I think about it, it would be cool. But who would decide who gets the WC? And how many per tournament?

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul) W Cordenons (w/dinkulpus)

Quote:
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Old 10-01-2012, 12:41 AM   #5
country flag Lazyking

Lazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond repute

For the main ATP events I think its a good idea but not for Challenger events.

Tennis Tipping Manager/Player.
Lazyking is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
For the main ATP events I think its a good idea but not for Challenger events.
This. If it's only used for ATP I would definitely support it!

Quote:
Old 10-01-2012, 12:58 AM   #7
country flag savesthedizzle
#freeviktor

savesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond repute

I think it depends really on if someone can come up with a way that is fair to everyone who plays TT as far as wildcards are concerned.

How do you do it? Do managers just pick their friends and give them wildcards? I hope to everyone the answer is obviously not.

So then, you go to people who are from the country where the event is being held. Okay, cool. So in a given week, let's say there are 3 events like Stockholm, Moscow, Vienna. I struggle to name very many Austrian TT-ers, so competition for these WCs is low. Lucky them Meanwhile for countries like Brazil, Argentina, USA, where TT-ers are plenty, lots of competition for WCs. So these Austrian TT-ers are pretty lucky. Not to mention you can never really prove where anyone is really FROM. In TT you are allowed to change your nationality at the beginning of the year. For several years in the beginning of TT, when there were no other players from Serbia, I played for Serbia and played Davis Cup with Grofica ( to Tanja wherever she is ) Imagine if I was granted a WC to Belgrade because I played representing Serbia, ahead of people who are actually Serbian... who is going to be the nationality police to decide if people are really from where they claim? (Don't let flags fool you, I'm not from Palau )

Okay, the nationality nonsense gets messy very quickly. People from smaller countries that don't have ATP events get to struggle in challengers while other players from larger countries have more opportunity. We have players from Lithuania for example, there are no ATP events in Lithuania, so Lithuanian players have to earn their entry into larger events just because they were born there instead of... let's say Germany? Yes that's the "real world" but for an online game, I don't think that's fair or fun for everyone.

What I WOULD support if someone can come up with a clear, unbiased plan; would be some sort of reward system where if someone wins a challenger, they earn a WC to a larger event. Some WCs are earned this way in the real world as well Then if in a tournament no challenger winner tries to use their WC, the spot is cleared like an SE spot. This helps people rise the ranks out of the challenger circuit, but is blind to friendships or nationalities. If I'm a Dutch TT-er and I win a challenger, maybe I save it for s'Hertogenbosch in case I can't get in directly, if playing a home event is so important to me. The difficulty is in what tiebreaking method is used if everyone wants to use a WC in the same event, when can they use their WC, who keeps track of who has earned WC and used them, who does the burden fall on to double check that someone really has a WC to use when they commit in a tournament and ask to use it, etc.

I generally feel like the supporters of wildcards won't support this because the ones I remember speaking up in the past are more fans of the nationality based system but honestly I feel like TT is at a crossroads right now where either it quite honestly dies, or it can turn the corner and continue to be a game fun for everyone. On a personal level, I hate the idea of WCs, but for the good of the game, and because it keeps coming up EVERY YEAR SINCE THE BEGINNING OF TT, I am willing to embrace the idea for the good of the game. I hope the supporters of WCs for whatever purpose or method are also thinking of the good of the game and not the good of themselves.

savesthedizzle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by savesthedizzle View Post
So then, you go to people who are from the country where the event is being held. Okay, cool. So in a given week, let's say there are 3 events like Stockholm, Moscow, Vienna. I struggle to name very many Austrian TT-ers, so competition for these WCs is low. Lucky them Meanwhile for countries like Brazil, Argentina, USA, where TT-ers are plenty, lots of competition for WCs. So these Austrian TT-ers are pretty lucky. Not to mention you can never really prove where anyone is really FROM. In TT you are allowed to change your nationality at the beginning of the year. For several years in the beginning of TT, when there were no other players from Serbia, I played for Serbia and played Davis Cup with Grofica ( to Tanja wherever she is ) Imagine if I was granted a WC to Belgrade because I played representing Serbia, ahead of people who are actually Serbian... who is going to be the nationality police to decide if people are really from where they claim? (Don't let flags fool you, I'm not from Palau )
That may seem logical, but think about in real Tennis. Doesn't being from a smaller country help with WC's too?

Quote:
Old 10-01-2012, 01:16 AM   #9
#freeviktor

savesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak3yman84 View Post
That may seem logical, but think about in real Tennis. Doesn't being from a smaller country help with WC's too?
If you want this to be exactly like real tennis, then I think this becomes fun for only a few people instead of a whole Then I am going to start demanding appearance fees in vCash

I don't think being from a smaller country helps In the case of Austria where you actually HAVE tournaments, yes. I don't know if our players from Lithuania, Estonia, etc think it helps. I'm more concerned with things being as fair as possible for as many players and I don't like the idea of gifting opportunity to a select chosen few over the whole in a GAME. Earned opportunity I support, and if the people who earn the chance would choose to use it in an event in their country or even just an event they feel strongly about... then I support that.

In fact, in a nationality based WC system, maybe people start switching nationalities to get opportunities... so if a couple people decide to be Austrian for the 2013 season, so then the "advantage" the "real" Austrians have is negated. And don't forget, we still have to prove who the "real" Austrians are

Old 10-01-2012, 01:18 AM   #10
country flag supertom

supertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond repute

For WC in the home country! It's always better to support the players from our country!
But only 1 or 2, and first come first serve (according to the nationality)!
That's my point of you!
supertom is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:21 AM   #11

Quote:
If you want this to be exactly like real tennis, then I think this becomes fun for only a few people instead of a whole Then I am going to start demanding appearance fees in vCash

I don't think being from a smaller country helps In the case of Austria where you actually HAVE tournaments, yes. I don't know if our players from Lithuania, Estonia, etc think it helps. I'm more concerned with things being as fair as possible for as many players and I don't like the idea of gifting opportunity to a select chosen few over the whole in a GAME. Earned opportunity I support, and if the people who earn the chance would choose to use it in an event in their country or even just an event they feel strongly about... then I support that.

In fact, in a nationality based WC system, maybe people start switching nationalities to get opportunities... so if a couple people decide to be Austrian for the 2013 season, so then the "advantage" the "real" Austrians have is negated. And don't forget, we still have to prove who the "real" Austrians are
You're on to something with the vCash thing (wouldn't that be awesome?!) Yes, I now agree with you Here's an idea, for each SF, F, and W you reach you receive a certain amount of "Wild Card Points" and each tournament's WC costs a certain amount of those points so it gets rid of the country thing

Quote:
Old 10-01-2012, 01:27 AM   #12
#freeviktor

Quote:
You're on to something with the vCash thing (wouldn't that be awesome?!) Yes, I now agree with you Here's an idea, for each SF, F, and W you reach you receive a certain amount of "Wild Card Points" and each tournament's WC costs a certain amount of those points so it gets rid of the country thing
That's not a bad idea It would be something different to keep track of, and I don't know if we even have anyone who is doing rankings for next season but with development, it's not bad

It could cost more WC points if you want to request a WC for a 500 vs a 250

I like the idea that then maybe these WC goes to people who are new to the game but are dedicated to playing it, and have a good week or two and use that success to try to get in a larger event quicker than you normally could, not those who show up and feel entitled to a spot.

(and yes about the appearance fees, I'm billing TT for the millions they owe me from the past years )

Old 10-01-2012, 01:31 AM   #13

Quote:
That's not a bad idea It would be something different to keep track of, and I don't know if we even have anyone who is doing rankings for next season but with development, it's not bad

It could cost more WC points if you want to request a WC for a 500 vs a 250

I like the idea that then maybe these WC goes to people who are new to the game but are dedicated to playing it, and have a good week or two and use that success to try to get in a larger event quicker than you normally could, not those who show up and feel entitled to a spot.

(and yes about the appearance fees, I'm billing TT for the millions they owe me from the past years )
I'm glad you like it! It's the only logical way of dealing with WC's imho

(maybe you should start playing only Challengers so you get vCash every week Then you can start your own TT academy )

Quote:
Old 10-01-2012, 06:43 AM   #14
country flag Mae
GOTHIC PRINCESS

Mae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm glad you like it! It's the only logical way of dealing with WC's imho

(maybe you should start playing only Challengers so you get vCash every week Then you can start your own TT academy )
But there aren't that many posters that vBet and that is the only thing I know of you can do with vCash? So why would people want a lot of vCash that they would never use?
Old 10-01-2012, 07:35 AM   #15
country flag AdeyC
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

AdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibreak4coffee View Post
YES - they should be allowed. We try so hard to be as realistic as possible in every other facet of TT, but somehow when the wildcard issue is raised people start questioning its effect on the integrity of the game. Please...
I remember always being completely against this - but then last year you put some good arguments forward, and I can see there is potential for a fun element to this too.