TT 2012 - Wild cards? - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Wild cards in TT?

Yes (please specify which system you prefer) 12 27.27%
No 32 72.73%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #61
country flag abollo
Tennis Player

abollo has a reputation beyond reputeabollo has a reputation beyond reputeabollo has a reputation beyond reputeabollo has a reputation beyond reputeabollo has a reputation beyond reputeabollo has a reputation beyond reputeabollo has a reputation beyond reputeabollo has a reputation beyond reputeabollo has a reputation beyond reputeabollo has a reputation beyond reputeabollo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TT 2012 - Wild cards?

I would suggest that players who reach the final in a tournament are eligible to use a SE in the following week or a WC in any week later or maybe get both.

My 2 cents
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 04:13 PM   #62
country flag J99

J99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond repute

I think maybe the SE is too strict and players who reach a semi can apply for one instead, cause it's not like this in the ATP, why do you need WC's when there are SE's, unless you want both, say 3 WC's and 2 SE's like the ATP does.

TT stats site: http://mtftt.info/

Melzer, Rafa, Fognini, Murray, Pospisil, Ferrer, Haas, Dolgopolov, Almagro, Janowicz, Kohlschreiber, plus a lot more, mostly, if not all clay courters.

Last edited by J99 : 10-22-2012 at 04:21 PM.
J99 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:39 PM   #63
country flag Thunderfish8

Thunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond repute

Wildcards have to be dealt with carefully.

I think the idea of a challenger series leading up to a slam is a fantastic idea. In fact, I would be almost 100% in favor of it.
However, there is one minor problem that I see... mainly for people ranked 90-110 who are constantly on the threshold of earning main draw spots at majors. Some of these people may opt to spend their weeks trying to qualify for smaller ATP tournaments. I think that if this series idea is done, it should include ATP 250 events as well. By the time the slam entry lists are finalized, the person who did not make the main draw with the highest amount of points from challengers and 250 events gets a wildcard (or top 2 or 3).

I am also very much in favor of having challenger winners gain a wildcard into ATP events. But there is also a very small issue with this:
1. Where do we draw the line? Surely it's more rewarding to win Shanghai CH and get WC to Shanghai Masters (just the example used) as opposed to winning CH in March and getting WC to Estoril open. In order for this to work, players would have to request/claim their WC during a tournament that runs EXACTLY 2 weeks after the CH that they won.
2. What if there are 4 challengers one week, and only one touranment 2 weeks later (let's just say Winston Salem since it's the only tournament that week). Do 4 people get WC??

Berdych Monaco Granollers Troicki Roger-Vasselin Lu Paire

PAW Titles: Brisbane 2012 & 2014
FITD Titles: Marseille 2014
Tennis Tipping Titles
Singles: Orleans CH '11, Tampere CH '12, Medellin CH '12
Doubles: Noumea CH '13 w/ Chirag, Cherbourg CH '14 w/ BMT360
Thunderfish8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:26 AM   #64
country flag 156mphserve

156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with a WC system but only if it is given in 1 of the following 4 ways

1) Winner of a challenger can get you a WC into an ATP event.

2) Some sort of challenger based points system you earn WC points which you can use to get ATP wildcards. This is similar to those suggested a points based system but IMO it should only be for challengers because those who win atp events usually don't need them

3) Everyone has the ability to ask for 4 WC's per year, 1 WC into a 250, 1 WC into a 500, 1 into a 1000 and 1 into a GS. You ask for a WC publicly on the thread when you commit(as long as you do so before the deadline. Each tournament is allotted so many WC's and they are drawn randomly by the manager among those who asked for one. If you don't get the WC then you do not get to ask for another one at an event of equal level, you used your ask up an unfortunately lost the draw.

4) Similar to #3 except instead of everyone getting 1 WC ask at each level event everyone gets 8 asking points, when you ask for a slam WC you lose all 8 points, asking at a 1000 costs 4 points, asking at a 500 costs 2 points and asking at a 250 costs 1. Like number 3, WC are drawn by the manager among those who ask before the deadline but after they commit. If you lose the draw you don't get your points back

I don't agree with nationality WC or giving WC to managers to reward them

Welcome Your Newest Top 10 Member

Raonic

Proud Canadian
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
2012 Chennai Champion
156mphserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:13 AM   #65
country flag keqtqiadv
2013 WS CHAMPS

keqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond repute

Poll time (TT players only). Do you think WCs should be implemented? If yes, please specify which of the ideas (or combination of ideas) you would prefer:

- WC for challenger champions

- WC points based system

- Grand Slam WC(s) - Challenger points (preceeding the GS)

- WC for challenger champions - special occasions only

- WC for defending champions

- Managers choice

- WC for managers

- Nationality

- Other

These are some of the points that should be considered:

- Which events should give WCs
- Number of WCs per tournament
- Number of WCs per player
- Who should be eligible to get a WC
- Benefits of a WC system x amount of additional work/complications it may cause
keqtqiadv is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:15 AM   #66
country flag Freak3yman84

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute

I voted "yes"

Specifically- WC for challenger champions - special occasions only

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but four

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kuerten View Post
Freakyman is a mythical figure who went bat shit insane during the 2012 ACC and got himself permbanned and the whole ACC with him.

He then forced an unban by sleeping with the entire moderation crew and these days you can see him post in a mellowed down version, while being under the influence of strong medication.
Freak3yman84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:03 AM   #67
country flag supertom

supertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond repute

I voted "yes"

Specifically- WC for challenger champions
supertom is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:39 AM   #68
country flag KingDocy

KingDocy has a reputation beyond reputeKingDocy has a reputation beyond reputeKingDocy has a reputation beyond reputeKingDocy has a reputation beyond reputeKingDocy has a reputation beyond reputeKingDocy has a reputation beyond reputeKingDocy has a reputation beyond reputeKingDocy has a reputation beyond reputeKingDocy has a reputation beyond reputeKingDocy has a reputation beyond reputeKingDocy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes... System: WC points based system
TT: Singles-Ranking: #27 | Doubles-Ranking: #50 (as of July 29th) | Singles-Titles (1): An Ning CH '12 | Doubles-Titles (9): ATP Buenos Aires '13, ATP Halle '13 (w/Hidalgo), Busan CH '11 (w/LucasBH), Ostrava CH '12 (w/EddyDoubleD), Busan CH '12, Marburg CH '12, Tampere CH '12 (all w/Hidalgo), Istanbul CH '12 (w/fsilva), Toyota CH '12 (w/Nando_L) | Singles-Achievments: RU ATP Umag '13, RU ATP Dubai '13, RU ATP Tokyo '12
DTT: Singles-Ranking: #10 | Doubles-Ranking: #6 (as of July 21st) | Singles-Titles (1): Memphis/Buenos Aires '13

You'll never walk alone!

https://twitter.com/Docy86
KingDocy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:27 AM   #69
country flag erickmartins
Not exactly average.

erickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, points-based

Titles: Astana 2 CH '11, Challenger Tour Finals '11, Kuala Lumpur '12 (w/Dudisela75), Bressuire Futures '13 (w/Marita)

Finals: Fürth CH '11, Orleans CH '11, Petange CH '12, TT Euro '12 (w/Vilnietč)

SF: Australian Open '12, Memphis '12
erickmartins is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:54 AM   #70
country flag Rafael Reis

Rafael Reis has a reputation beyond reputeRafael Reis has a reputation beyond reputeRafael Reis has a reputation beyond reputeRafael Reis has a reputation beyond reputeRafael Reis has a reputation beyond reputeRafael Reis has a reputation beyond reputeRafael Reis has a reputation beyond reputeRafael Reis has a reputation beyond reputeRafael Reis has a reputation beyond reputeRafael Reis has a reputation beyond reputeRafael Reis has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - WC for challenger champions - special occasions only.
Rafael Reis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:01 AM   #71
country flag dinkulpus
-_-

dinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond repute

No

Tennis Tipping 2014

Singles : 115 (Best 88) - QF Auckland, QF Houston
Doubles : 67 (Best 65) - Won Sao Paulo, SF Rome, SF Chennai, SF Buenos Aires, SF Queens (with stbanchile) RU : Sarasota CH (with Litotes), Mohammedia CH, Manta CH (with Daniel_amr)

Finals CH

Singles : 3:3
Doubles : 9:6 (ATP 1:0)
dinkulpus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #72

Thunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond repute

YES
WC for challenger champions
WC for grand slams on challenger points
WC for defending champion (don't remember this being brought up but is a fantastic idea )
WC for nationality (maybe only at 250 level as GS and Masters1000 are a bit too big for that)
I like 156 mph serve's idea of having a certain amount of requests per tournament level.
Anybody who would not make the main draw of a tournament should be eligible for WC
I think 2 WC should be given at each tournament with a 32/48 player draw
4 WC for 56/64 player draws
6 WC for 96/128 player draws (not sure if we even use 48/56/and 96.)
No player should be allowed to have 2 WC within the same month.
I think only 1 WC per tournament type per year (e.g. 1 250, 1 500, 1 1000, and 1 GS) unless they are defending champion of a tournament.

ALSO I think in fairness to the managers, we should at least consider allowing the manual picking of WC. Since this whole thing causes a bit more work for them, They should be able to see why each person who requested deserves a WC and pick based on that.
AND PLAYERS SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO REQUEST WC UNLESS THEY HAVE COMMITTED BEFORE THE FIRST DEADLINE. People should not be using WC as a way to pick which tournament they play in.

Tennis Tipping Titles
Old 10-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marto View Post
No
good explanation

Tennis Tipping Titles
Old 10-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #74
country flag dinkulpus
-_-

dinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderfish8 View Post
good explanation
I vote against because it will be hard to manage WC

- WC for challenger champions - it's impossible every CH winner to have ATP WC, because Challengers are more than ATP levels. Also if I win 1st week challenger I took WC for Sydney and if someone won Challenger before Masters he took WC for Masters, this is honest?

- WC points based system - who will run this system?

- Managers choice - it's not fair,because there always will be conspirations

- WC for managers - They will manage because of WC, not like now. Now managers like game and that's the reason to manage.

- Nationality

No, for example we have a thousand of Brazil players and only one tournaments, and we have several tournaments in france and only 3-4 players from that county

Tennis Tipping 2014

Singles : 115 (Best 88) - QF Auckland, QF Houston
Doubles : 67 (Best 65) - Won Sao Paulo, SF Rome, SF Chennai, SF Buenos Aires, SF Queens (with stbanchile) RU : Sarasota CH (with Litotes), Mohammedia CH, Manta CH (with Daniel_amr)

Finals CH

Singles : 3:3
Doubles : 9:6 (ATP 1:0)
dinkulpus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #75
country flag Hidalgo

Hidalgo has a reputation beyond reputeHidalgo has a reputation beyond reputeHidalgo has a reputation beyond reputeHidalgo has a reputation beyond reputeHidalgo has a reputation beyond reputeHidalgo has a reputation beyond reputeHidalgo has a reputation beyond reputeHidalgo has a reputation beyond reputeHidalgo has a reputation beyond reputeHidalgo has a reputation beyond reputeHidalgo has a reputation beyond repute

YES!
- 1) main criteria- WC for defending champions (on ATP-level)

- 2) Nationality (player with highest ranking) if last year champion has ranking for MD))
DTT(S/D): Titles (1/1)
SUICIDE: Titles (3)
PAW: Titles (2)
Hidalgo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote