TT 2012 - Wild cards? - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Wild cards in TT?

Yes (please specify which system you prefer) 12 27.27%
No 32 72.73%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-03-2012, 04:38 AM   #31
country flag savesthedizzle
#freeviktor

savesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TT 2012 - Wild cards?

I don't think they should be able to be used if you miss the deadline, I would disagree with that. I don't like it as a security blanket for current players who can't manage their commitments For former "greats", up and comers, sure, but I would say you still have to commit on time.

savesthedizzle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 07:14 AM   #32
country flag AdeyC
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

AdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by savesthedizzle View Post
I don't think they should be able to be used if you miss the deadline, I would disagree with that. I don't like it as a security blanket for current players who can't manage their commitments
Agree with you there

Quote:
Originally Posted by savesthedizzle View Post
I really like a point based system a lot I think it's fair to everyone and encouraging to new players

I think what we need to also think of is if/when these points expire. For example, should they carry over from season to season (if such a system is put in place)? I'm inclined to say yes, if only because if someone starts the game late in the year and wins a challenger, in November/December, they should be able to use a WC early in the 2013 season.

Just something I was thinking about
WTF have a system like this in place which they started this year - e.g if you win a challenger in November or December, you can claim one of the spaces in a January event.

Last edited by AdeyC : 10-03-2012 at 07:29 AM.
AdeyC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:02 AM   #33
country flag dinkulpus
-_-

dinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crvena Zvezda View Post

To my point of view, you can have a system like play-offs to get "WC" once in a while : I mean the winner of Shangai challenger get a spot in Beijing 250 or something like that. That would be the only really fair thing in the game.

I like this idea

Tennis Tipping 2014

Singles : 114 (Best 88) - QF Auckland, QF Houston
Doubles : 66 (Best 65) - Won Sao Paulo, SF Rome, SF Chennai, SF Buenos Aires, SF Queens (with stbanchile) RU : Sarasota CH (with Litotes), Mohammedia CH, Manta CH (with Daniel_amr)

Finals CH

Singles : 3:3
Doubles : 9:6 (ATP 1:0)
dinkulpus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:02 AM   #34
country flag dinkulpus
-_-

dinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeyC View Post
Agree with you there

WTF have a system like this in place which they started this year - e.g if you win a challenger in November or December, you can claim one of the spaces in a January event.
We have more challenger tournaments, so we can't do this in MTF

Tennis Tipping 2014

Doubles : 66 (Best 65) - Won Sao Paulo, SF Rome, SF Chennai, SF Buenos Aires, SF Queens (with stbanchile) RU : Sarasota CH (with Litotes), Mohammedia CH, Manta CH (with Daniel_amr)

Finals CH

Old 10-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #35
country flag kingroger

kingroger has a reputation beyond reputekingroger has a reputation beyond reputekingroger has a reputation beyond reputekingroger has a reputation beyond reputekingroger has a reputation beyond reputekingroger has a reputation beyond reputekingroger has a reputation beyond reputekingroger has a reputation beyond reputekingroger has a reputation beyond reputekingroger has a reputation beyond reputekingroger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crvena Zvezda View Post

To my point of view, you can have a system like play-offs to get "WC" once in a while : I mean the winner of Shangai challenger get a spot in Beijing 250 or something like that. That would be the only really fair thing in the game.
Very good idea In my opinion the winner of such a Challenger should receive a MD Wildcard for the ATP event in the following week...
Maybe the finalist as well

Dunno though if we should do this on a weekly base or just for selected tournaments, eg for all 500, Masters and GS tournaments
TTS:#122 (High: #121) W (2)2012: Alphen CH, Szezecin CH
TTD: #132 (High: #26)
W (5) 2012: Caloundra CH w/TankingTheSet, Memphis w/Hellcat, Arad CH w/Marto - 2011: Cherbourg CH w/Kirilenko-Fan, Miami w/Kirilenko-Fan
DTT Singles: High: #1 - W Australian Open 2011, Madrid 2011, Tokyo 2011
DTT Doubles: High: #3 - W Wimbledon 2011, US Open 2011
kingroger is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #36
country flag orangehat

orangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond repute

I think there should be only 4 WCs a year - 1 at each of the Grand Slams. Number of players are the greatest, so it dilutes the effect of players being edged out.

and the WC should be done using a "US Open series" format. Whichever player gains the most points over the CHALLENGER SERIES preceeding that GS gets the WC

Obviously this is harder for the AO and Wimbledon which only have like 2-3 weeks preceeding the grand slam, but this makes more sense to me.

Singles: (61/10) Finals: 1-5 ATP, 3-1 Challengers
W: Rotterdam '12 F: Monte Carlo '11, Dubai '11, Nice '11, Stockholm '11, Atlanta '12
Slams:1R,3R,3R,QF

Doubles: (9/5) Finals: 3-4 ATP, 8-7 Challengers
W: US Open '12 (w/Allez-Alejo), Bercy '11 (w/ZackBusner), Winston-Salem '12 (w/Betty) F: Atlanta '12 (w/Betty), Eastbourne '11 (w/*Jean*), Stockholm '11 (w/njnetswill), Casablanca '10 (w/Gavnich77)
Slams:2R,3R,QF,W
orangehat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:44 PM   #37
country flag Lazyking

Lazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond repute

So you would give direct entry to a challenger player with a WC for grandslams? I don't mind that idea. The problem is, alot of players in challengers can make the GS main draw.

Tennis Tipping Manager/Player.
Lazyking is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #38
country flag AdeyC
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

AdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond repute

But wouldn't it be probable that a player who came top in a Challenger Series type-thing would most likely also have gained enough points in that period to move their ranking up to direct entry for the upcoming Slam.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:02 PM   #39
country flag orangehat

orangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeyC View Post
But wouldn't it be probable that a player who came top in a Challenger Series type-thing would most likely also have gained enough points in that period to move their ranking up to direct entry for the upcoming Slam.
Well Slams do use EL rankings 2 weeks before the start ..... so this definitely works for Wimbledon and Australian Open.

Even for USO/FO, we could use only USTA Challengers/ European Clay challengers, it's not that many tournaments.

Also if that does happen we could just give it to the player with the most points who wouldn't make the MD

W: Rotterdam '12 F: Monte Carlo '11, Dubai '11, Nice '11, Stockholm '11, Atlanta '12

W: US Open '12 (w/Allez-Alejo), Bercy '11 (w/ZackBusner), Winston-Salem '12 (w/Betty) F: Atlanta '12 (w/Betty), Eastbourne '11 (w/*Jean*), Stockholm '11 (w/njnetswill), Casablanca '10 (w/Gavnich77)
Old 10-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #40
country flag savesthedizzle
#freeviktor

savesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangehat View Post
I think there should be only 4 WCs a year - 1 at each of the Grand Slams. Number of players are the greatest, so it dilutes the effect of players being edged out.

and the WC should be done using a "US Open series" format. Whichever player gains the most points over the CHALLENGER SERIES preceeding that GS gets the WC

Obviously this is harder for the AO and Wimbledon which only have like 2-3 weeks preceeding the grand slam, but this makes more sense to me.
I wouldn't mind this idea being put into place either.

I don't know if it would appease those who are dying for WCs to enter the game though. Personally I don't want WCs at all, so only 4 WCs a year sounds like a great compromise to me I prefer this even to the idea that I've been trying to develop. I just know that it will keep coming up every single year regardless and it always seems to be more related to people wanting to play their "home" events. So I think even if there was this sort of US Open series type of lead up WC it wouldn't quiet those "home" event people.

savesthedizzle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #41
country flag orangehat

Well the only thing I can think of for ATP250/500 about home events is to give qualifying wild cards instead (maybe 2 for 16 player QDs? and 4 for 32 player QDs?) , since the pool is so small and I'm sure those who really wanted to play their home events wouldn't mind playing qualifying, they just don't want to be alternates.

Obviously this still has the edging out effect for the other players who would have qualified for the Qualifying draw otherwise, but it's the only reasonable solution for TT I can think of.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:13 AM   #42
country flag Lazyking

Lazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond repute

I mean no offense when I say this but fans of the home event WC's are a bit off base. The fact is we don't have enough players from enough countries to matter. Euro players and Brazil players dominate the game. If there is one player from say luxomberg, he probably can qualify for petange anyway. Giving out home WCs to one player every time is kinda odd to me.

Then again the proposed WC system is pretty much making the use of SE pointless.

Tennis Tipping Manager/Player.
Lazyking is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:04 PM   #43
country flag Freak3yman84

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
I mean no offense when I say this but fans of the home event WC's are a bit off base. The fact is we don't have enough players from enough countries to matter. Euro players and Brazil players dominate the game. If there is one player from say luxomberg, he probably can qualify for petange anyway. Giving out home WCs to one player every time is kinda odd to me.

Then again the proposed WC system is pretty much making the use of SE pointless.
That just occurred to me How about a random drawing for who gets a WC in a certain week?

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but four

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Freak3yman84 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:04 AM   #44
country flag lolada_4

lolada_4 has a reputation beyond reputelolada_4 has a reputation beyond reputelolada_4 has a reputation beyond reputelolada_4 has a reputation beyond reputelolada_4 has a reputation beyond reputelolada_4 has a reputation beyond reputelolada_4 has a reputation beyond reputelolada_4 has a reputation beyond reputelolada_4 has a reputation beyond reputelolada_4 has a reputation beyond reputelolada_4 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangehat View Post

I like this idea

"Home" can be a factor, but not the only...for example, I´m portuguese, so I only have Estoril Open...
lolada_4 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #45
country flag dinkulpus
-_-

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolada_4 View Post
I like this idea

"Home" can be a factor, but not the only...for example, I´m portuguese, so I only have Estoril Open...
No home factor, for example Americans will have a lot of WC, but what about Brazil, only 1 tournament and a lot of players, what about countries like Bulgaria, Lithuania and etc.

Tennis Tipping 2014

Finals CH