TT 2012 - Wild cards? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Wild cards in TT?

Yes (please specify which system you prefer) 12 27.27%
No 32 72.73%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-01-2012, 07:50 AM   #16
country flag hugocnamaral

hugocnamaral has a reputation beyond reputehugocnamaral has a reputation beyond reputehugocnamaral has a reputation beyond reputehugocnamaral has a reputation beyond reputehugocnamaral has a reputation beyond reputehugocnamaral has a reputation beyond reputehugocnamaral has a reputation beyond reputehugocnamaral has a reputation beyond reputehugocnamaral has a reputation beyond reputehugocnamaral has a reputation beyond reputehugocnamaral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TT 2012 - Wild cards?

I have to say i agree with WC, 2 for tourney at ATP level!
Of Course its difficult to decide who gets the WC, but in real tennis is the same, some organizers decide by countries, others for in shape players, others just because they like the guy...
I think in TT it should be the same... only the WC should be given until wednesday before the first cut so players who arent choosen could go to other tourney, this could help finding more managers, because they could have the POWER

Doubles
W:(2014)Delray Beach(250),Prostejov CH, Bastad (250), Vancouver CH, Vigo Fut (2012)Rio Quente CH,Gexto F,Madrid F, Istambul F,Yokohama CH
F:(2013)Leon CH (2012)Blumenau CH,Monza CH,Marburg CH

PAW:
W: Washington 2013, Bangkok 2013
RU:Bangkok 2012
hugocnamaral is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 09:02 AM   #17
country flag erickmartins
Not exactly average.

erickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond repute

1) Nationality-based WCs and WCs purely at the discretion of the manager: it will get messy quite fast. Not because of the managers, who (I believe) will make an effort to have them as fair as possible, but because players will start questioning secret motivations and so on. In my perfect world, where everyone is fair and understanding, I would go for this. But in the real world it won't work.

2) WCs for managers: I'd like to see this. It would encourage people to try managing, and we seem to be always short on managers. Maybe a small reward like a 250-wildcard for every 3 tournaments managed.

3) WCs for champions: a good one. I will propose a system here:

winning a Challenger: 1 point
final on a 250/500: 1 point
winning a 250/500: 2 points
SF on a 1000: 1 point
final on a 1000: 2 points
winning a 1000: 3 points
QF on a GS: 1 point
SF on a GS: 2 points
final on a GS: 3 points
winning a GS: 5 points

WC on a 250: 2 points
WC on a 500: 3 points
WC on a 1000: 4 points
WC on a GS: 6 points

The exact amount can be adjusted, but it is a very simple system to maintain. Only a few people would gain/lose points every week, so it would not take too long to update. I'd propose only one WC spot per 250/500, maybe 2 for the bigger 1000s, and 2-3 for a GS. We could balance things so that the number of points given is about the same as the cost of these WC spots, so we won't have dozens of people with enough points all trying to get a WC spot.

Titles: Astana 2 CH '11, Challenger Tour Finals '11, Kuala Lumpur '12 (w/Dudisela75), Bressuire Futures '13 (w/Marita)

Finals: Fürth CH '11, Orleans CH '11, Petange CH '12, TT Euro '12 (w/Vilnietč)

SF: Australian Open '12, Memphis '12
erickmartins is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:28 AM   #18
country flag Taz Warrior

Taz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond repute

This is a post I made in the changes thread 4 years ago - I am still against the use of Wild Cards in TT but if they were to be implemented I believe this would be the fairest method and warrants further discussion. It’s similar to what has been implemented in TF this year where it seems to have worked quite well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavnich77
Wild Cards – Not in the format suggested. It’s not necessary, complicates the game too much and appears to be a case of change for change’s sake.

I do fully support the idea of giving WCs into IS/ISG tournaments or TMS qualies (but not GSs) for those people who win Challengers. Let’s reward those who do well on the Challenger circuit with an opportunity to show their skills in a tournament that they may otherwise not get into. We could either match Challengers to ATP events e.g., the winners of the challengers in the first week of the year would get a WC into one of the tournaments after the AO or let them be used any time (maybe with a time limit) but the limit the number (say 2) that can be used in any given tournament so that not everybody tries to use them at once.
Taz Warrior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #19
country flag Goldenoldie

Goldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond repute

I am against Wild Cards in TT because I believe they would require an amount of administration which is disproportionate to any perceived advantage. I would also have sympathy with the players who would otherwise have gained direct entry.
I don't really like SEs either, but I accept that I am in a minority there.

The only WC I would support would be an automatic entry for any defending champion, regardless of ranking.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #20
country flag Freak3yman84

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae View Post
But there aren't that many posters that vBet and that is the only thing I know of you can do with vCash? So why would people want a lot of vCash that they would never use?
I was joking about the vCash thing Mae

Sent from my SGH-T989 using VerticalSports.Com App

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but four

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul) W Cordenons (w/dinkulpus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Freak3yman84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #21
country flag Lazyking

Lazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond repute

A points based wildcard system is the best way to go imo. I'd say a player can use three wild cards per season but the player must earn them thru success on challengers.. It can be really diffcult for players starting out to even get in qualies of bigger tournaments and picking challengers is even harder imo. Personally, its not about me but at my rate, the only tournaments I'm going to play are challengers besides the grand slams.

A WC points system say like if you win a challenger, you get direct entry into a 250, qualies in a 500.. That seems more then fair and you can build the points to get WC into bigger tournaments.

The only thing is, some challenger players don't need the WC points but I feel like giving incentive to newer players because its more likely to keep them around.

Tennis Tipping Manager/Player.
Lazyking is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:08 PM   #22
country flag lolada_4

lolada_4 has a reputation beyond reputelolada_4 has a reputation beyond reputelolada_4 has a reputation beyond reputelolada_4 has a reputation beyond reputelolada_4 has a reputation beyond reputelolada_4 has a reputation beyond reputelolada_4 has a reputation beyond reputelolada_4 has a reputation beyond reputelolada_4 has a reputation beyond reputelolada_4 has a reputation beyond reputelolada_4 has a reputation beyond repute

WC!
I think it´s very important to players with a low ranking.
Making such a text that reflects the reason should be given a Wildcard. And who had the best text received the WC.
Estoril Open ATP 250 (one WC for a great player, not enrolled in the tournament, for a Portuguese and a player with a low ranking)
In the text shall bear the nationality and the reason you want the WC (like is last results, he is a good player etc)
The British nationality, has no privileges, because what counts is not whether the text is well written grammatically, but the reasons. But it´s for all tournaments (GS, ATP 1000,500,250 and CH)
Maximum 3 WC's per season and 3 WC spots per tournament....

Or what erickmartins said: ") WCs for champions: a good one. I will propose a system here:

WC on a GS: 6 points"
lolada_4 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:38 PM   #23
country flag savesthedizzle
#freeviktor

savesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond repute

I really like a point based system a lot I think it's fair to everyone and encouraging to new players

I think what we need to also think of is if/when these points expire. For example, should they carry over from season to season (if such a system is put in place)? I'm inclined to say yes, if only because if someone starts the game late in the year and wins a challenger, in November/December, they should be able to use a WC early in the 2013 season.

Just something I was thinking about

savesthedizzle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:24 AM   #24
country flag Freak3yman84

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolada_4 View Post

WC on a GS: 6 points"
The only problem with this is that players who win GS's won't need WC's to any other tournament I think there should be 3 points for a 250/500 win and 2 points for a final, and 2 points for a CH win and 1 for a final since most players who need WC's would be on the Challenger tour And this may be a bit early, but I wouldn't mind being the person who keeps track of WC points

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but four

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul) W Cordenons (w/dinkulpus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Freak3yman84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:45 AM   #25
country flag Crvena Zvezda

Crvena Zvezda has a reputation beyond reputeCrvena Zvezda has a reputation beyond reputeCrvena Zvezda has a reputation beyond reputeCrvena Zvezda has a reputation beyond reputeCrvena Zvezda has a reputation beyond reputeCrvena Zvezda has a reputation beyond reputeCrvena Zvezda has a reputation beyond reputeCrvena Zvezda has a reputation beyond reputeCrvena Zvezda has a reputation beyond reputeCrvena Zvezda has a reputation beyond reputeCrvena Zvezda has a reputation beyond repute

Well considering the increasing number of regular players (more than 250) end the week number of tourney (about 6 a week), I think the issue of WC is a little bit void.

When I quitted two years ago, you could have WC in the game because anyway qualies were a joke with a lot of players not sending or playing like craps.

Now even in low qualies challengers, most of the games are very tight.

WC would get spots in main draws and make the job harder to low ranked players and why ???

To get free spots to manager's friend ??? (you would quickly have a network of friend managing and distributing their wc and it would be easier to argies or brasilians than to low represented nations in TT)

Or to young players on the rise ???

But those one can also get through qualies if they are talented...

Except maybe the founders of the game, all the TT players have known that first year struggling in challengers and waiting their ranking to get better and I think it is a good way to learn patience and the job.

There are WC in atp/itf but you have 18 tournament a week or more and most of the players ranked over 800 are not regular players (I mean playing only in their area).

To my point of view, you can have a system like play-offs to get "WC" once in a while : I mean the winner of Shangai challenger get a spot in Beijing 250 or something like that. That would be the only really fair thing in the game.
Crvena Zvezda is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:15 AM   #26
country flag AdeyC
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

AdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickmartins View Post

2) WCs for managers: I'd like to see this. It would encourage people to try managing, and we seem to be always short on managers. Maybe a small reward like a 250-wildcard for every 3 tournaments managed.
I really don't like that idea - while I 100% agree that more people should try out managing, it should be done for the love of the game, not for any personal gain.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:30 AM   #27
country flag KingDocy

KingDocy has a reputation beyond reputeKingDocy has a reputation beyond reputeKingDocy has a reputation beyond reputeKingDocy has a reputation beyond reputeKingDocy has a reputation beyond reputeKingDocy has a reputation beyond reputeKingDocy has a reputation beyond reputeKingDocy has a reputation beyond reputeKingDocy has a reputation beyond reputeKingDocy has a reputation beyond reputeKingDocy has a reputation beyond repute

I favor the idea considering a point system, but I would limit the number of Wild Cards at 2 per year, so more players get a chance to play a bigger tournament. Also, I would say the points only count for one year like the world ranking system, so every player has 12 months to decide which tournament he wants to play, if more players than wildcards commit, it's first come first serve.
TT: Singles-Ranking: #27 | Doubles-Ranking: #50 (as of July 29th) | Singles-Titles (1): An Ning CH '12 | Doubles-Titles (9): ATP Buenos Aires '13, ATP Halle '13 (w/Hidalgo), Busan CH '11 (w/LucasBH), Ostrava CH '12 (w/EddyDoubleD), Busan CH '12, Marburg CH '12, Tampere CH '12 (all w/Hidalgo), Istanbul CH '12 (w/fsilva), Toyota CH '12 (w/Nando_L) | Singles-Achievments: RU ATP Umag '13, RU ATP Dubai '13, RU ATP Tokyo '12
DTT: Singles-Ranking: #10 | Doubles-Ranking: #6 (as of July 21st) | Singles-Titles (1): Memphis/Buenos Aires '13

You'll never walk alone!

https://twitter.com/Docy86
KingDocy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:52 AM   #28
country flag lolada_4

lolada_4 has a reputation beyond reputelolada_4 has a reputation beyond reputelolada_4 has a reputation beyond reputelolada_4 has a reputation beyond reputelolada_4 has a reputation beyond reputelolada_4 has a reputation beyond reputelolada_4 has a reputation beyond reputelolada_4 has a reputation beyond reputelolada_4 has a reputation beyond reputelolada_4 has a reputation beyond reputelolada_4 has a reputation beyond repute

The only problem with the points, is the players who need WC don´t win ATP 250, GS, they need to can play this tournaments, maybe do a text can be better like a said in my last post

* Making such a text that reflects the reason should be given a Wildcard. And who had the best text received the WC.
Estoril Open ATP 250 (one WC for a great player, not enrolled in the tournament, for a Portuguese and a player with a low ranking)
In the text shall bear the nationality and the reason you want the WC (like is last results, he is a good player etc)
The British nationality, has no privileges, because what counts is not whether the text is well written grammatically, but the reasons.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #29
country flag erickmartins
Not exactly average.

erickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond repute

My idea with the points was to have them not expiring, ever. That and the WC points for GS/M1000/500/250 winners make sense together so that a former great player who eventually falls down the ranking can still get some WCs, just like it would happen in real life. It's only a matter of balancing things so that the expected number of WCs per tournament is limited and we don't get too much people with lots of points in their hands.

So, finally, we would have a WC system with 2 functions:
1) rewarding up-and-coming players with places in tournaments they would not have access to;
2) giving players who are free-falling through the rankings a "last shot" at keeping their positions, based on past accomplishments.

Titles: Astana 2 CH '11, Challenger Tour Finals '11, Kuala Lumpur '12 (w/Dudisela75), Bressuire Futures '13 (w/Marita)

Finals: Fürth CH '11, Orleans CH '11, Petange CH '12, TT Euro '12 (w/Vilnietč)

SF: Australian Open '12, Memphis '12
erickmartins is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #30
country flag lolada_4

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickmartins View Post
My idea with the points was to have them not expiring, ever. That and the WC points for GS/M1000/500/250 winners make sense together so that a former great player who eventually falls down the ranking can still get some WCs, just like it would happen in real life. It's only a matter of balancing things so that the expected number of WCs per tournament is limited and we don't get too much people with lots of points in their hands.

So, finally, we would have a WC system with 2 functions:
1) rewarding up-and-coming players with places in tournaments they would not have access to;
2) giving players who are free-falling through the rankings a "last shot" at keeping their positions, based on past accomplishments.
So I think the best thing is have our idea with the points for former gerat players (like you said) and for example and great player forget to commit before the deadline.
And the text (what I said) for the others.