Wins over Top Players are not always Unbelievable - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-30-2012, 12:14 AM   #16
country flag Stronga23

Stronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wins over Top Players are not always Unbelievable

Monfils-Nadal Doha 2012 was unbelievable.

Stronga,Monfils,DelPo,Nalbandian,Berdych,Gulbis,Ha as and Djokovic are the players I support the most.
Stronga23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2012, 02:33 AM   #17
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Look, top 200 aren't really too different in terms of hitting ability compared to the top 10. There are plenty of huge 140+ servers in the top 200, plenty of huge hitters in the top 200, plenty of physically talented players in the top 200, etc. Only thing that makes a top 200 to a top 100 player is better mental strength, and it only requires even more mental strength to reach the top of the sport.. Just look at the "big 4" compared to the rest of the top 10. They have a much more consistent mental game than the others and when it matters most, they are able to come up with a shot. So yes, in general it isn't surprising when top players lose to top 200 and they don't need to play lights out tennis, they are close enough in tennis level anyways.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:48 AM   #18
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Rosol played out of his mind in the 5th set. no one claimed he played astronomically impressive throughout the WHOLE match, he last a few sets after all, but in the final set he was literally insane

even Federer laughed about it later, how he couldn't believe what he was seeing

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:07 AM   #19
country flag mooncreek

mooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond repute

Montanes beating Federer and Melzer beating Nadal both fit this thread.

You could also qualify anyone who beats Murray during a post-Slam swoon. I don't remember Young or Bogomolov doing anything special in those wins - but I saw both of them mentioned in 2011 as "this guy beat Murray!" as if it meant anything about the quality of their play. 2012 was a crash down to earth for both. Truth was literally anyone could have walked onto the court and beaten Murray in that stretch.

The Brian Baker Story. Proof that truth is stranger than fiction... until Hollywood buys the rights and proceeds to keep screwing the script up.
mooncreek is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:08 AM   #20
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Rosol's win was unbelievable cause he took the match out of the hands of an 11-slam champ. The whole 5th set was down to what Rosol did entirely, that's why it was a stunning win. He didn't miss a ball.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:35 AM   #21
country flag grahampros

grahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Wombat View Post
I feel that whenever some guy wins against a top player, everyone immediately says how amazing the low ranked player played. But sometimes it is just an average match, in which the low ranked player simply does everything a little better.

For example, the Rosol vs Nadal match. Rosol was possessed only in the 5th set, and other sets he ballbashed good, but not unbelievable. Yet after he won, everyone thought he played like a God.

Discuss, and give examples.
Agreed. I'm SO SICK of all these Rosol posts. He had a great day on court, Nadal was clearly psychically not his best as we now know well. Nadal was maybe oh 60% of his usual and ran into a player on a hot streak that day. It's nothing more then that.
grahampros is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:37 AM   #22
country flag J99

J99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond repute

The Rosol-Rafa match is not a good example, as Rafa was injured for it, so that's why he lost, he hasn't lost to such a low ranked guy like that since Mahut way back when.

TT stats site: http://mtftt.info/

Melzer, Rafa, Fognini, Murray, Pospisil, Ferrer, Haas, Dolgopolov, Almagro, Janowicz, Kohlschreiber, plus a lot more, mostly, if not all clay courters.
J99 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:59 AM   #23
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Nadal wasn't injured during the match. Not buying it, never will. This one's a less debatable one than Soderling's.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:02 AM   #24
country flag J99

J99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Nadal wasn't injured during the match. Not buying it, never will. This one's a less debatable one than Soderling's.
LOL, not even, it's obvious he was cause it was his last match.

Melzer, Rafa, Fognini, Murray, Pospisil, Ferrer, Haas, Dolgopolov, Almagro, Janowicz, Kohlschreiber, plus a lot more, mostly, if not all clay courters.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:04 AM   #25
country flag grahampros

grahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by J99 View Post
Exactly. I have no idea why folks continue to deny this. It's fairly simple. You had Nadal far from his best and guy who had the match of his life. We see Rosol's results since so that says it all.
grahampros is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:08 AM   #26
Banned!

Quote:
I saw the match and I saw him running every freaking ball down as usual. The match helped cause the injury if anything, he didn't play the match with it.

Nadal is the GOAT with that 583-0* record.

*- fully fit defeats

Oh and stop shaming this country with the Rafatard disease of Excusitis.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:15 AM   #27
country flag J99

Quote:
I saw the match and I saw him running every freaking ball down as usual. The match helped cause the injury if anything, he didn't play the match with it.

Nadal is the GOAT with that 583-0* record.

*- fully fit defeats

Oh and stop shaming this country with the Rafatard disease of Excusitis.
Yes he did, I think you might be trolling at this point, either that or you really don't know what goes on with players.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:21 AM   #28
Banned!

Quote:
Yes he did, I think you might be trolling at this point, either that or you really don't know what goes on with players.
No the only facepalm is you, you silly, delusional Rafatard, coming up with excuse after excuse for every grand slam defeat like his team do. What was the excuse for Southampton today? Kelvin Davis was injured?
Old 09-30-2012, 04:22 AM   #29
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Wombat View Post
Gasquet is a much better player than Mugbis and even Darcis is better than Mugbis slightly.
And anyway, I meant players like Nadal and Djokovic, not Berdych.
Not when Gulbis is playing his best tennis. He might be inconsistent, but when 'on' he is one of the biggest hitters on tour (taking serve and both wings into consideration I think only Del Potro edges him here, maybe Soderling too but he's not playing atm) with very good touch at the net too. He can beat anyone on any given day, which cannot be sad about Gasquet and Darcis.

An on-fire Gulbis is a far tougher proposition than Gasquet or Darcis. Berdych played a good match that day, he was simply out-served and overpowered by Gulbis.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:46 AM   #30
country flag J99

Quote:
No the only facepalm is you, you silly, delusional Rafatard, coming up with excuse after excuse for every grand slam defeat like his team do. What was the excuse for Southampton today? Kelvin Davis was injured?
Whatever guy, you keep telling yourself that, maybe it will come true... oh wait, it won't.