Anyone use protein shakes after matches/workout? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-19-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

adee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone use protein shakes after matches/workout?

My shoulder has been bothering me, so I've had to cut down on my tennis recently. As an alternative, I've started doing a lot of long distance running, I've decided to run run the London marathon next year. Although my fitness is decent, especially for tennis, I found that my muscles were getting pretty tired. I'm generally running 15km on a treadmill 2-3 times a week. I've been recommended to start drinking protein shakes after my run, not necessarily the ones for muscle growth but more for recovering from exercise.

Just wanted to ask if anyone uses them, and their opinion on them. Cheers
adee-gee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2010, 07:08 AM   #2
country flag jazar

jazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone use protein shakes after matches/workout?

i dont really think protein shakes work that well. i also think if you were going to take them, to do it before rather than after exercise.

to be honest, if you are looking for better recovery, the best thing to do is alter your diet. moving to a diet with more carbohydrate will help you exercise at the same relative intensity for longer, and carbohydrate re-feeding straight after exercise helps you recover quicker, especially if you are planning another bout of exercise within a short period of time. the best carbohydrate re-feeding strategies involve regular feeding for a couple of hours after exercise.
jazar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:27 PM   #3
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Adam, what I do is I eat a bunch of pasta for carbs pre-workout for energy. Then, after my workout, I'll eat a tuna sandwich and mix up a protein shake. I use 100% premium whey, the Gold Standard. Works wonders. Helps muscles to recover after a 3 hour match in the summer Florida heat.

Jazar, I don't understand why you would take a protein shake BEFORE a workout
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:15 PM   #4
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

adee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond repute

Differing responses

Thanks for the input guys.
adee-gee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:38 PM   #5
country flag Glaciator

Glaciator has a reputation beyond reputeGlaciator has a reputation beyond reputeGlaciator has a reputation beyond reputeGlaciator has a reputation beyond reputeGlaciator has a reputation beyond reputeGlaciator has a reputation beyond reputeGlaciator has a reputation beyond reputeGlaciator has a reputation beyond reputeGlaciator has a reputation beyond reputeGlaciator has a reputation beyond reputeGlaciator has a reputation beyond repute

I do but it's just some natural vitamin c, it's a compliment called oligobiol

TOMAS BERDYCH - JAMES BLAKE - MARK PHILIPPOUSSIS - ROGER FEDERER - NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO - TAYLOR DENT

The girls: Sam Stosur - Daniela Hantuchova - Martina Hingis - Lindsay Davenport
Glaciator is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:35 AM   #6
country flag Angle Queen
Mom 2 2 Beauties

Angle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond repute

Don't waste your money on fancy protein recovery drinks. Go for the...MILK. Chocolate milk, specifically. I kind of just lucked into it but when my personal results were I poked around the internet and found plenty of confirming sources. It's cheap, readily available...and tastes yummy! It's something about all the carbs, protein and high water content that do the trick.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #7
country flag mclovin123

mclovin123 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazar View Post
i dont really think protein shakes work that well. i also think if you were going to take them, to do it before rather than after exercise.

to be honest, if you are looking for better recovery, the best thing to do is alter your diet. moving to a diet with more carbohydrate will help you exercise at the same relative intensity for longer, and carbohydrate re-feeding straight after exercise helps you recover quicker, especially if you are planning another bout of exercise within a short period of time. the best carbohydrate re-feeding strategies involve regular feeding for a couple of hours after exercise.
Apologies for sounding a bit dickish but you are actually wrong. Whey protein shakes work effectively as they are fast digesting. As a powder mixed with a liquid they have the ability to flow into the digestive tract and be absorbed far quicker than any other protein source. This is why they work for building muscle. When one lifts wight for reps they tear the muscle fibers. This injection of protein afterward helps rebuild them bigger and stronger in order to withstand the same level of strain next time, sort of like a developmental type of adaptation. This is actually why it is better to take them after working out rather than before unlike you suggested. The 20min window is an opportune period to feed the muscles protein and glycogen stores which is most affective for repair. This is why we should all down a protein shake and eat a banana 5 mins after working out, rather than before. If used to correctly they work very well and should always be taken right after as apposed to before.
mclovin123 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

2 protein shakes a day. One in the morning, one after the afternoon workout.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:24 AM   #9
country flag jacoblewis2008

jacoblewis2008 has a reputation beyond reputejacoblewis2008 has a reputation beyond reputejacoblewis2008 has a reputation beyond reputejacoblewis2008 has a reputation beyond reputejacoblewis2008 has a reputation beyond reputejacoblewis2008 has a reputation beyond reputejacoblewis2008 has a reputation beyond reputejacoblewis2008 has a reputation beyond reputejacoblewis2008 has a reputation beyond reputejacoblewis2008 has a reputation beyond reputejacoblewis2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee-gee View Post
My shoulder has been bothering me, so I've had to cut down on my tennis recently. As an alternative, I've started doing a lot of long distance running, I've decided to run run the London marathon next year. Although my fitness is decent, especially for tennis, I found that my muscles were getting pretty tired. I'm generally running 15km on a treadmill 2-3 times a week. I've been recommended to start drinking protein shakes after my run, not necessarily the ones for muscle growth but more for recovering from exercise.

Just wanted to ask if anyone uses them, and their opinion on them. Cheers
No I do not drink protein shakes, I just do some relaxation exercise to feel relax and recovering. You should drink sip of water while exercising.
jacoblewis2008 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:39 PM   #10
country flag 62strat

62strat is on a distinguished road

I drink Vega One protein shake mixed with Almond milk after I play a match. It gives me a lot of vitamins, pro biotics and helps to build muscle and recover quicker.
62strat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote