Flashback Barcelona 1996 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-29-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
country flag Ash86

Ash86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flashback Barcelona 1996

Came across a really cool Youtube video - young Moya, a time when players like Courier came to Barcelona and life seemed simpler.

Ash86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
country flag Voo de Mar

Voo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flashback Barcelona 1996

A rather unique opportunity to see one of Nadal's teammates, Francisco Roig in action.
Match points
Tie-breaks
Aces

Chiquita bananas ECC Antwerp
Voo de Mar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

The highlight of this video is of course the voice-over by Andrew Castle, and apart from that. Moya looking in his mid twenties at 19.
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
country flag Ash86

Ash86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voo de Mar View Post
A rather unique opportunity to see one of Nadal's teammates, Francisco Roig in action.
I think you mean coaches. But yes. It also has his agent, Carlos Costa, in the photo at the start. Carlos didn't do too badly - got to the top 10 and won Barcelona which is the biggest national title for Spaniards (poor Ferrer has been denied many times). And of course, Moya's there too...

Bet the players weren't happy when Muster decided to take a WC at the last minute!
Old 09-29-2012, 11:49 AM   #5
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Believe it or not some of us here watched Carlos Costa play tennis. Muster was the only the biggest name on clay at the time.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:52 AM   #6
country flag Ash86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
Believe it or not some of us here watched Carlos Costa play tennis. Muster was the only the biggest name on clay at the time.
Lucky you - think Carlos isn't too bad on the eye so would have been good to see him on court. He was obviously business savvy - chose the right horse to back at age 14 - nice ticket to the millions he didn't make as a tennis player.

Interesting to see Rios as the rising star and to know how short lived his top-level tennis was - in two years he'd be no.1 and that's about it.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
country flag Voo de Mar

Voo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash86 View Post
I think you mean coaches.
No, I don't know what is the best word to describe Roig in connection to Rafa, uncle Toni is his coach, Costa is his agent, that's clear. There's a group of other guys that support Rafa in his box during matches and Roig is one of them. According to Wiki he works as the "alternate coach" He was a good doubles player (even played with Rafa on tour) so maybe he was working partly on Nadal's volley improvement, don't know the details, I don't follow off court relations.
Match points
Tie-breaks
Aces

Chiquita bananas ECC Antwerp
Voo de Mar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:04 PM   #8
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash86 View Post
Lucky you - think Carlos isn't too bad on the eye so would have been good to see him on court. He was obviously business savvy - chose the right horse to back at age 14 - nice ticket to the millions he didn't make as a tennis player.

Interesting to see Rios as the rising star and to know how short lived his top-level tennis was - in two years he'd be no.1 and that's about it.
IMG signed Nadal. Costa was the Spanish agent for IMG.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote