Mens Tennis Forums banner

Simon splits up with Tulasne/ Now works with De Witt

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Kezzi 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
Re: Tulasne and Simon break up

Wow. :eek: Unexpected at this particular time but not surprising. I think Tulasne is a nice guy and he has contributed greatly to Gilles' career, but I've said quite a while back towards the latter part of last year that I think he had pretty much taught and done all he could really contribute to Gilles and it was time for him to sever ties and either get a fresh perspective or go it alone for a while.

Honestly, I see this as a good thing for Gilles because he realizes that and wants to continue getting better where he knows he needs to and wasn't able to or getting to under Tulasne's coaching.

#4 ·
Re: Simon split up with Tulasne

Thanks Soulage, any more articles you see please post them. I'm mixed on this. Personally, I've always liked that Gilles was so loyal to Thierry but as GilleSimonAddict said, there's definitely a need for some changes so I'm happy and hopeful this will shake things up in a good way.

#5 ·
Neil Harman tweeted that he will continue by himself.

I've always like the combo, but I can also understand that Gilles might feel that he can't learn anymore from Tutu. They don't have to keep their business relationship in order to stay friends. :)

#8 ·
#11 · (Edited)

What?
:sad:

On the one hand, I know he needs a new coach (or that Tutu is kinda useless), on the other hand, I love Tutu :bigcry:. I always think they almost have a father/son relationship there.

I hope he gets a new coach, I think it will do him good. (I mean, those no coach let's see what happen thing is just non-sense :p

Won't be seeing this anymore, I feel sad :sad:

#12 ·

http://www.leparisien.fr/sports/aut...mon-et-thierry-tulasne-27-09-2012-2184025.php

Here's Tutu's itw.

THIERRY TULASNE, entraîneur de Gilles Simon, 27 ans, actuel 19e joueur mondial, et son entraîneur Thierry Tulasne, 49 ans, ont décidé de se séparer cette semaine en marge du tournoi de Bangkok. Les deux hommes faisaient équipe depuis février 2007. Durant les six saisons de leur collaboration, Simon a remporté dix titres.

Il a battu Federer, Nadal et Djokovic, et s'est hissé jusqu'au 6e rang mondial. Joint en Thaïlande, Tulasne revient sur cette longue parenthèse sportive.

- Qu'est-ce qui préside à cette séparation? Est-ce dû au fait que la Fédération française (FFT) ait décidé dernièrement de mettre davantage à contribution les joueurs pour la rétribution de leur entraîneur fédéral?
Thierry Tulasne. La mise en place de ce nouveau système a provoqué une réflexion. Gilles souhaite faire un peu comme Jo (NDLR: Jo-Wilfried Tsonga), d'être seul pendant une saison. Il y réfléchit depuis l'US Open. De mon côté, après six saisons ensemble, j'ai le sentiment d'avoir un peu donné tout ce que je pouvais.

- Selon vous, fait-il le bon choix en se passant momentanément de coach?
Je sens qu'il a besoin de prendre ses responsabilités, donc d'être seul. C'est sur le court qu'il y arrive le moins. Il s'y comporte trop par rapport à moi. Comment Gilles et vous avez-vous scellé cette décision? Ici à Bangkok, Gilles bénéficie d'un petit vestiaire particulier en tant que tête de série. Nous nous y sommes retrouvés un soir et nous avons eu une longue conversation très émouvante. Nous avons décidé d'arrêter à la fin de la semaine.

- Dans quels termes vous séparez-vous?

Notre relation va bien au-delà de nos rapports professionnels. De par ma fonction, j'étais même sur les freins vis-à-vis de lui sur le plan affectif. Ca va pouvoir être différent désormais. Mais il s'agit quand même d'une rupture et, là, j'ai les boules. Pouvez-vous identifier le plus grand moment de votre collaboration?Il y en a eu plein, je n'ai pas envie d'en retenir un en particulier. Au-delà du tennis et des titres, il y en a eu aussi beaucoup avec ses parents, sa compagne et lors de la naissance de son enfant.

- Y a-t-il un chantier en cours que vous regrettez de ne pas avoir pu mener à son terme?

Pas vraiment. Je regrette simplement qu'à partir de 2008 et de sa demie au Masters, on n'ait pas pu faire une saison vraiment pleine. Chaque année, des blessures nous en ont empêchés.

- Dans quel état d'esprit Gilles, qui doit retrouver Gaël Monfils en quart de finale, va-t-il jouer cette semaine à Bangkok?
C'est très bizarre mais il m'a dit qu'il avait très envie de gagner le tournoi au nom de notre collaboration.

- Et vous, qu'allez-vous faire désormais au sein de la FFT?

J'ai besoin de rencontrer la DTN, Patrice Hagelauer et Arnaud Di Pasquale. Je souhaite avoir à coacher des joueurs motivés, quels qu'ils soient. C'est aussi pour moi l'opportunité de suivre des formations en management, en communication ou en vidéo numérique. Je souhaite me poser et bien réfléchir. Il me faut un petit peu de temps pour digérer, peut-être jusqu'à la fin de l'année.

Google translation:

THIERRY TULASNE coach Gilles Simon, 27 years old, currently 19th player in the world, and his trainer Thierry Tulasne, 49, have decided to split this week on the sidelines of the tournament in Bangkok. The two men teamed up in February 2007. During the six seasons of their collaboration, Simon has won ten titles.

He beat Federer, Nadal and Djokovic, and moved up to sixth in the world. Joint Thailand Tulasne back on this long parenthesis sport.

- What governs this separation? Is this due to the fact that the French Federation (TFF) has recently decided to do more of the players for the payment of their federal coach?
Thierry Tulasne. The implementation of this new system has caused a reflection. Gilles wants to make a bit like Jo (Note: Jo-Wilfried Tsonga), to be alone for a season. He pondered since the U.S. Open. For my part, after six seasons together, I feel I have a bit gave everything I could.

- In your opinion, is it the right choice by passing momentarily coach?

I feel he needs to take responsibility, so to be alone. This is the short that there comes the least. There he has over me too.

How Gilles and you sealed your decision? Here in Bangkok, Gilles has a small locker room especially as seeded. We found ourselves there one night and we had a very long conversation moving. We decided to stop at the end of the week.

- In what terms you separate yourself?
Our relationship goes far beyond our professional relationship. From my office, I was even on the brakes vis-à-vis her on emotionally. It's going to be different now. But it is still a break and then I have the balls.

Can you identify the greatest moment of your collaboration?
There was plenty I did not want to hold one in particular. Beyond tennis titles, there was also a lot with his parents and his girlfriend at the birth of her child.

- Is there a work in progress that you regret not having been able to complete?
Not really. I only regret that from 2008 and his Masters in half, we could not really make a full season. Each year, injuries prevented us.

- In what state of mind Gilles, who must find Gaël Monfils in the quarterfinals, he will play this week in Bangkok?
It is very strange but he told me he really wanted to win the tournament on behalf of our collaboration.

- And you, what do you do now in the FFT?
I need to meet the DTN, Patrice Hagelauer and Arnaud Di Pasquale. I would have to coach players motivated whatsoever. It is also an opportunity for me to take courses in management, communication or digital video. I want to ask and think. I need a little time to digest, perhaps until the end of the year.

#13 ·

It's a brave decision by Gilles and one i'm not sure I could make if I were in his position because, like him, I'm a creature of habit and have difficulty with change, but I think it was the right decision and I admire his guts in doing so. I hope good things will come of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.