Why do you like tennis? - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-27-2012, 02:04 AM   #31
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

Sham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you like tennis?

- Match ups - Every opponent will show you different skills and characters. You have to strive on being competitive while respecting the ability every opponent has to take the match out of your hands.

- The different techniques, the way the players use their physiques to their advantage while managing their weaknesses

- The mental chess-like strategic side, which is unlike any other sport

- The momentum shifts and the tension created by BIG points - tension which the audience of the match can feel as much as the players.

- No two players in the World have the same game

- The steady waltz the players have with one another as they battle physical exhaustion and mental fatigue.

- The effect the past has on you. Positives from the past can create the momentum which effectively wins you matches, but your ability to manage the negatives from the past and the resulting frustrations and insecurities is what determines your ability to succeed - Tennis is essentially a test of your character as much as it is an examination of your physical abilities. This fact is fascinating.

The balance a player must have between aggression and control

The sheer amount of freedom a player has with what they do on the court. Ranging from flat out blasting the ball to variety and finesse, top-spin, slice etc

- New Tennis balls smell better than glue or patrol

Beautiful girls are like complex puzzles. The closer you look the harder it gets.

-Drunk guy at Mcdonalds

Last edited by Sham Kay : 09-27-2012 at 02:09 AM.
Sham Kay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2012, 08:57 AM   #32
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

The analogy between tennis and boxing is often made, including by players, and surely some people like it for this reason like castroneves and maybe Satasonic,

but personally I don't like this dimension of tennis or this comparison at all.

This dimension rather disturbs me.

I mean of course you have to "believe" more than your opponent and it's very important to be careful of your opponent's moments of weakness and be able to take benefit of them, but I don't like the violent connotation of that "I will kill/destroy you" (and that part really exists in tennis : Nadal even used that word once in an interview by lapsus in a very honest way and it made the interviewer laugh but it was just sincere ).

But I think this association with boxing is made by many spectators.

I'm more attracted by the geometric and "dancing" part.

Of course that partly explains why I'm attracted by Fed whereas some others are attracted by Nadal (see Murray for instance who's in love with both boxing and Nadal)
Old 09-29-2012, 11:42 AM   #33
country flag Sophitia36

Sophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond repute

-I think it's one of the sports that give you the strongest emotions, because it's extremely stressful and intense
-I've always preferred individual sports
-I think it's aesthetically very pleasing to watch (the way they move, the footwork, etc - the dancing analogy works for me, I just like to watch beautiful moves in any sport)
-I like the way they have to play with geometry to construct points
-I like how every player is different and has specificities (kind of reminds me of Tekken )
-I like the ethic and "gentleman-like" aspect of this sport
-I like that the mental aspect is so important, that you have to learn how to avoid panicking, believe in yourself, etc
-I like the epic dimension of tennis (thrilling 5 hour-long five setters...)
-Tennis players are hot. Wait, football players are hot too, and I don't watch football. Well anyway don't try to find a logic in that.
Sophitia36 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #34
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

First of all, I love tennis because it's so fascinating a game. It's a physically demanding sport where you need to have endurance, strength, as well as shotmaking technique, but it also has the tactical aspect. Even though playing tennis can be exhausting, it's definitely much funnier than e.g. playing computer games.

And interest for the game made me watch tennis. And just like it's interesting to play, it's also interesting to watch, there are players with different playing styles, and surfaces suiting for different playing styles. The game is the biggest reason why I follow the game. But there are also some personalities you like, even if you wouldn't like their playing style, and you start to follow them more closely. And I also like the gentlemanship in tennis, even though tennis is unfortunately losing that, players are having much time between points and fistpumping at opponent's errors. And probably the prestige of Grand Slams made me also to watch tennis, you know they're playing for something big.

Stan Wawrinka
2014 Australian Open Champion | 2014 Monte Carlo Masters Champion

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
2008 Paris Masters Champion | 2014 Toronto Masters Champion
August is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #35
country flag Capuccino

Capuccino has a reputation beyond reputeCapuccino has a reputation beyond reputeCapuccino has a reputation beyond reputeCapuccino has a reputation beyond reputeCapuccino has a reputation beyond reputeCapuccino has a reputation beyond reputeCapuccino has a reputation beyond reputeCapuccino has a reputation beyond reputeCapuccino has a reputation beyond reputeCapuccino has a reputation beyond reputeCapuccino has a reputation beyond repute

who said i like tennis ?
Old 11-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #36
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

I've been told I only like tennis because of Nadal, and I would love cricket if he was a cricket player. Soooo...I guess that's my answer

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:20 AM   #37
country flag alypen

alypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond repute

I realised long ago that the sports I like watching tend to be ones in which the score is constantly changing, and on both sides, and that the more increases in score there are the better. So football, where you can charge up and down a field for 90 minutes and still come away with a goalless draw, and cricket, where all the scoring is on one side and then the other, just don't cut it for me. Tennis, on the other hand ... Plus I particularly love (except when it's going against the player I want to win, of course ) the way the momentum of a match can change on a sixpence, and just when you thought one player was coasting to victory the whole thing turns round.

Pleased to see so many people appreciating the more aesthetic side of tennis. As a big fan of dance (although now I come to think of it I've been watching tennis for about a decade longer, but never mind), I too can appreciate the more graceful, footwork-y part of it, and those beautiful shots that just happen to get past the opponent and just sneak inside the lines. Plus there's something slightly hypnotic about watching people slug a ball across a net - just as long as they don't do it too many times without a break - I'm not a fan of 30-ball rallies! I can sit and watch tennis for hours - clocked up 9 hours at the Olympics the other month. And then - irrespective of whether it's tennnis or dance - I like to see athletes who can use their brains rather than just their bodies. And there is something rather attractive about the whole gladiatorial aspect of it. Then there's the difference in styles between the players, which can be great fun to watch.

Oh, and I also really like doubles play (and anyone else who dares come into the net instead of slogging from the baseline). Given the choice between an average-ranked singles match and a similar doubles match, I'll almost always pick the doubles, because they tend to be more fun.
alypen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote