Why do you like tennis? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Reply

Old 09-26-2012, 05:35 PM   #16
country flag lalaland
Registered User
 
lalaland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,961
lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you like tennis?

Tennis is the only sport that I love playing myself while love watching it too. Watching tennis helped me improved my play.

I like to watch it for the tactics, and also because it's one on one, no coach, so everyone will have to be able to deal with the situation all by himself, that makes it a much more challenging sport than team sports.
lalaland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 09-26-2012, 05:54 PM   #17
country flag duong
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,346
duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you like tennis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaland View Post
I like to watch it for the tactics, and also because it's one on one, no coach, so everyone will have to be able to deal with the situation all by himself, that makes it a much more challenging sport than team sports.
also one has some time to think about tactics, which is probably an aspect which works to make people like American football or cricket as they like chess or poker, but which you don't have so much in football-soccer where the ball is always in play
__________________
useless old guy
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:14 PM   #18
country flag Allez
Registered User
 
Allez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 10,608
Allez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you like tennis?

because tennis > sex.
Allez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #19
country flag lalaland
Registered User
 
lalaland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,961
lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you like tennis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
also one has some time to think about tactics, which is probably an aspect which works to make people like American football or cricket as they like chess or poker
Probably true about having the time to think about tactics. The key for me though is that I play it so I understand the tactic more than I understand other sports. Like my favorite sports is ice hockey but I don't play it, so I don't know enough to appreciate the strategies as much as I do for tennis. And ice hockey plays in such fast pace too, yes, it's harder to follow the play as closely as I'm able to in tennis.

Don't like any of the 4 sports you gave in examples though. But then, I have not probably watch an American Football game or cricket to understand what's going on there. I don't like poker, but I guess it's because I associate it with gambling more so than a thinking game. I prefer Bridge. As for chess, I prefer Go. And all these has nothing to do with my reason for liking tennis of course. I guess what I'm trying to say is, it's not because tennis' tactic is better than other sports so I like it, it's just the tactic I understand and appreciate more that makes me such a big tennis fan.
lalaland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #20
country flag TBkeeper
Registered User
 
TBkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Age: 19
Posts: 4,029
TBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you like tennis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
because tennis > sex.
This is the answer of a true fan
+1 !
__________________
MR. FOREVER "UNDERRENTED"

SLAMS: 4 SEMIS, 6 QUARTERS
WTF: 1 TITLE, 1 FINAL, 1 SEMI
MASTERS: 3 TITLES, 5 SEMIS, 10 QUARTERS
TITLES: 21
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 482-329
TBkeeper is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:07 PM   #21
country flag 156mphserve
Registered User
 
156mphserve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 13,517
156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you like tennis?

I watch because I lost my TV remote so my TV is stuck on the tennis channel

Now it's kinda grown on me
__________________
2012 Chennai Champion
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
Milos

Welcome Your Newest Top 10 Member

Raonic

Proud Canadian
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
2012 Chennai Champion
156mphserve is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #22
country flag nole_no1
Registered User
 
nole_no1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Age: 20
Posts: 14,018
nole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you like tennis?

Because it's awesome
nole_no1 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:52 PM   #23
country flag duong
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,346
duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you like tennis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaland View Post
Probably true about having the time to think about tactics. The key for me though is that I play it so I understand the tactic more than I understand other sports. Like my favorite sports is ice hockey but I don't play it, so I don't know enough to appreciate the strategies as much as I do for tennis. And ice hockey plays in such fast pace too, yes, it's harder to follow the play as closely as I'm able to in tennis.
I have not played enough tennis to really take tactical lessons from my practise, but I think I've watched it enough to understand a part of what players feel when they have to face some shots, and what makes them tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaland View Post
Don't like any of the 4 sports you gave in examples though. But then, I have not probably watch an American Football game or cricket to understand what's going on there. And all these has nothing to do with my reason for liking tennis of course.
I've hardly watched them either, but from what I watched, American football and cricket looked boring because there was a lot of time just preparing for the next action, it was hard to understand why so many people loved watching them

that's why I suggested that it can be part of the pleasure of tennis on spectators to have time to think about those things and prepare for next action. But of course one needs to understand the sport for that

Anyway, that time is also used to watch players carefully and kind of living "intimately" with them, and that's for sure a big part of the interest and also of the identification, Tignor already wrote about it.
__________________
useless old guy
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:26 PM   #24
country flag MaxPower
Registered User
 
MaxPower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 30
Posts: 7,028
MaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you like tennis?

the reasons people already mentioned but I just want to add some things.


What makes the scoring system so great?

Not the system itself but that a match is never over until the matchball is won. It can be 0-6, 0-5 and 3 matchpoints but you can still comeback! In say football it's over if one team has 4-0 with 30 mins left. There is no time pressure in tennis. You can ALWAYS turn the match. And who doesn't love these crazy comebacks and chokes? without the clever scoring system it wouldn't happen.

The man vs man aspect - No teams to hide in and immense mental pressure on the individual player.

It's a classy sport. Civilized crowds. Respect between the players. I've gotten more and more annoyed lately by all the monkey-behaviour in other sports and hooligan and racist stuff in the crowds. Makes you angry. Angry and sad! Tennis is spared from a lot of that crap.

Playing myself. Just recreationally but I know the game and I appreciate the skill when I see it.
Tennis got sort of a "talent guarantee". Even the worst mugs of the top100 are immensely talented if you understand how competititive and unforgiving the ranking system is. You can't buy yourself success in tennis or get lucky you pulled some fantastic move when a talent scout dropped by. Also makes tennis more fair than many other sports. No "economic doping" and owners clowning around. The players own themselves.
MaxPower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:42 PM   #25
country flag PedroMarquess
Registered User
 
PedroMarquess's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Age: 22
Posts: 1,741
PedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you like tennis?

Because I play sometimes against my friends and I allways own them because they suck even more than I do. And it's a good place to go out with a gurl, because they hate football.
PedroMarquess is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:58 PM   #26
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast
 
emotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Virginia
Age: 19
Posts: 37,518
emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you like tennis?

Mostly the emotion, but I like the strategy too

Also, helps my play
__________________


Robredo, Matosevic, Estrella, Dolgopolov, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Chiudinelli, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Brown, Garcia-Lopez, Zeballos, Herbert, Istomin, Kohlschreiber, Tursunov, Robert, Monaco, Djokovic, Gonzalez, Thiem
emotion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:56 PM   #27
country flag lalaland
Registered User
 
lalaland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,961
lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you like tennis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
I have not played enough tennis to really take tactical lessons from my practise, but I think I've watched it enough to understand a part of what players feel when they have to face some shots, and what makes them tough.
My understanding of the tactics is only good for watching. I'm not good enough, or at all, to be able to play with any kind of tactics . But knowing the game just makes it more fun to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
I've hardly watched them either, but from what I watched, American football and cricket looked boring because there was a lot of time just preparing for the next action, it was hard to understand why so many people loved watching them
American Football is my background noise, I mean, some game is always on and someone in the house is always watching. But somehow I cannot get myself to be interested enough to pay attention. I think it's probably just like you said, the gap in between play is too long to keep my attention from wandering off to something else.


Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
Anyway, that time is also used to watch players carefully and kind of living "intimately" with them, and that's for sure a big part of the interest and also of the identification, Tignor already wrote about it.
I have not thought about that before. But it's right, being able to see their face and body language, makes it easier for us the spectator to identify with them.
lalaland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:03 AM   #28
country flag J99
Registered User
 
J99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 11,197
J99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you like tennis?

I like tennis because it's the purest sport there is, some people might say fighting is, but I disagree, it's more pure because there isn't fighting for one thing, the 1v1 is better, it's also the most adaptable to anyone's person, there are so many different way to play the game, more than any other sport, if sport was an art tennis would be it, my favorite style of play is an aggressive, well rounded game, to me the best game is the most complete and aggressive, that's why Melzer's my favorite player.
__________________
Best TT singles rank: 20
Best TT doubles rank: 55

TT stats site: http://mtftt.info/

Melzer, Rafa, Fognini, Murray, Pospisil, Ferrer, Haas, Dolgopolov, Almagro, Nishikori, Dimitrov, Kohlschreiber, Robredo, Benneteau, Simon, Janowicz, plus a lot more, mostly, if not all clay courters, but firstly just the game itself.

Last edited by J99 : 09-27-2012 at 12:45 AM.
J99 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:24 AM   #29
country flag Edda
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Age: 49
Posts: 2,398
Edda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you like tennis?

i enjoy watching my favorite players, even though I don't play tennis myself.
Edda is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:38 AM   #30
country flag castroneves
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Age: 31
Posts: 7
castroneves has a reputation beyond reputecastroneves has a reputation beyond reputecastroneves has a reputation beyond reputecastroneves has a reputation beyond reputecastroneves has a reputation beyond reputecastroneves has a reputation beyond reputecastroneves has a reputation beyond reputecastroneves has a reputation beyond reputecastroneves has a reputation beyond reputecastroneves has a reputation beyond reputecastroneves has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you like tennis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satasonic View Post

For me- I love the different match ups in tennis, no matter how good or boring they are. Its amazing that every time 2 different players meet- a completely different match up is created, its really fascinating. It happens only in tennis, and nowhere else. Take football for example, although its a great sport, some games do look quite similar to each other.

In tennis, its different. You can get a match up like Raonic-Karlovic, or a match up like Andujar-Troicki, and they will be different. However when you match Raonic-Andujar, you will get a completely different match.

So, what are your points?
I have similar reasons, for that reason I also like boxing. And another reason is I like the whole system of ranking, tournaments (smaller, grand slams..), seeing how certain players progress, comparing them, sometimes just checking the results. It is very simple sport to understand, easily noticing changes of the game, tactics/strategy, improvements, many other sports specially team sports might just get too complicated and i am looking at them for pure entertainment trying to see just nice passes, combinations and not caring much about anything strategic.
castroneves is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios