Which current players will make great coaches or commentators in the future? - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-27-2012, 06:48 AM   #46
country flag CelesteBlanca

CelesteBlanca has a reputation beyond reputeCelesteBlanca has a reputation beyond reputeCelesteBlanca has a reputation beyond reputeCelesteBlanca has a reputation beyond reputeCelesteBlanca has a reputation beyond reputeCelesteBlanca has a reputation beyond reputeCelesteBlanca has a reputation beyond reputeCelesteBlanca has a reputation beyond reputeCelesteBlanca has a reputation beyond reputeCelesteBlanca has a reputation beyond reputeCelesteBlanca has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which current players will make great coaches or commentators in the future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edda View Post
I think Juan Carlos Ferrero would be a good coach, since he has the Equelite Tennis Academy.
And I heard a rumors that he will coach Almagro after he retire.
Petra Kvitová
Garbiñe Muguruza
CelesteBlanca is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2012, 12:57 PM   #47
country flag bookish

bookish has a reputation beyond reputebookish has a reputation beyond reputebookish has a reputation beyond reputebookish has a reputation beyond reputebookish has a reputation beyond reputebookish has a reputation beyond reputebookish has a reputation beyond reputebookish has a reputation beyond reputebookish has a reputation beyond reputebookish has a reputation beyond reputebookish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which current players will make great coaches or commentators in the future?

Here in the UK, I've listened to too much Andrew Castle and Mark Petchey to be able to imagine what a great commentator would be like. Even if an ex-tennis player was able to articulate clearly the tactics each player was adopting and comment interestingly on the narrative flow of a match the TV channels here would just say "The audience haven't heard of this guy. What is Boris Becker's phone number?"

From what I've heard of the guys near the top of the game Tipsarevic seems one of the most thoughtful and I'd probably plump for him as commentator.

As for a coach I guess you are looking for someone who was able to adapt his game and take advantage of new strategies/techniques rather than someone with a more one-dimensional game who just worked really really hard. I think Nole would be an interesting shout as I don't think Fed would ever consider it.
bookish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #48
country flag Chip & Charge

Chip & Charge has a reputation beyond reputeChip & Charge has a reputation beyond reputeChip & Charge has a reputation beyond reputeChip & Charge has a reputation beyond reputeChip & Charge has a reputation beyond reputeChip & Charge has a reputation beyond reputeChip & Charge has a reputation beyond reputeChip & Charge has a reputation beyond reputeChip & Charge has a reputation beyond reputeChip & Charge has a reputation beyond reputeChip & Charge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookish View Post
Here in the UK, I've listened to too much Andrew Castle and Mark Petchey to be able to imagine what a great commentator would be like. Even if an ex-tennis player was able to articulate clearly the tactics each player was adopting and comment interestingly on the narrative flow of a match the TV channels here would just say "The audience haven't heard of this guy. What is Boris Becker's phone number?"
I despise Andrew Castle commentating and if he is put together with Tracy Austin (who has the most annoying voice ever) I genuinely have to mute the tv.

As many have said Roddick would be a cracking commentator, his press conferences were legendary and he would be hilarious in the commentating booth. Coach wise I reckon Hewitt would make you a pretty tough player to beat, in contrast Dolgopolov would probably be the most laid back coach ever - maybe have a gentle knock every now and again and see how it goes in the tournaments!
Chip & Charge is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:23 PM   #49
country flag Jverweij

Jverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookish View Post

From what I've heard of the guys near the top of the game Tipsarevic seems one of the most thoughtful and I'd probably plump for him as commentator.

As for a coach I guess you are looking for someone who was able to adapt his game and take advantage of new strategies/techniques rather than someone with a more one-dimensional game who just worked really really hard. I think Nole would be an interesting shout as I don't think Fed would ever consider it.

wait...that was a joke right?........... wasn't it?

As I stated earlier, I'd like to see Roddick as a commentator. He is witty, and has knowledge of the game. What I'd really like to see though, is either Safin, Gulbis, or Djokovic take over from Justin Gimmelstob.

As a coach...hard to tell. Any of the succesful guys now might make good coaches after a decade or so. If they'd do it right away, it won't work. Quite hard to coach someone who you can still beat easily. But if I had to choose, I'd say Ferrer.
Jverweij is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:54 AM   #50
country flag Thunder Hoad

Thunder Hoad has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Hoad has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Hoad has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Hoad has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Hoad has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Hoad has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Hoad has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Hoad has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Hoad has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Hoad has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Hoad has a reputation beyond repute

I think logic dictates that a player who needs lots of coaching from the stands during matches isn't going to be a great tactical coach. However for some players all they need is a mental adjustment (e.g. Murray with Lendl), and in those cases, a player who does everything to win and will try any ploy or gamesmanship no matter how it violates the rules of the game could serve as an excellent coach.
Thunder Hoad is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:39 PM   #51
country flag aussie_fan

aussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond repute

Roddick and Hewitt would make for the ultimate commentary team.
aussie_fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #52
country flag Satasonic

Satasonic has a reputation beyond reputeSatasonic has a reputation beyond reputeSatasonic has a reputation beyond reputeSatasonic has a reputation beyond reputeSatasonic has a reputation beyond reputeSatasonic has a reputation beyond reputeSatasonic has a reputation beyond reputeSatasonic has a reputation beyond reputeSatasonic has a reputation beyond reputeSatasonic has a reputation beyond reputeSatasonic has a reputation beyond repute

Monfils will be a GOAT coach.

RAONIC

AND ALL OTHER SERVEBOTS

SERVEBOTS ARE TENNIS
Satasonic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #53
country flag Ouragan
Banned!

Ouragan has a reputation beyond reputeOuragan has a reputation beyond reputeOuragan has a reputation beyond reputeOuragan has a reputation beyond reputeOuragan has a reputation beyond reputeOuragan has a reputation beyond reputeOuragan has a reputation beyond reputeOuragan has a reputation beyond reputeOuragan has a reputation beyond reputeOuragan has a reputation beyond reputeOuragan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puschkin View Post
Simon as commentator, very articulate and knowledgable about tennis (tactics).
But has a droning voice, I'm not sure I could stand hearing it for several hours.
Ouragan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:48 PM   #54
country flag jcempire

jcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Federer said he'd like to coach Wawrinka once he's retired.
When Federer retired, that Wawrinka would almost done for career.

Nadal Nadal Nadal
jcempire is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote