The Wire is the best TV-series ever - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #31
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Wire is the best TV-series ever

Air Crash Investigation

I am addicted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #32
country flag Nr 1 Fan

Nr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond repute

Very good reviews of the last episodes of season 3. Hope season 4 and 5 will be equally good, now the two reformers of 'The Game' (Stringer and Bunny Colvin) are gone. But then again, that's just the point The Wire is trying to make: political games > actual improvements and so, the game will never change.

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-al...terans-edition

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-al...terans-edition

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO
DAVID GOFFIN - NOVAK DJOKOVIC
MILOS RAONIC - JERZY JANOWICZ
STANISLAS WAWRINKA - JOHN ISNER

Last edited by Nr 1 Fan : 09-20-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Nr 1 Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:27 PM   #33
country flag clandis

clandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond repute

Season 4 may well be the best.
clandis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:27 PM   #34
country flag Ben.

Ben. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Har-Tru View Post
Again, they are all good shows, but I never finished watching any of them... in my view, they lack variety and end up becoming monotonous and slow.
You could say this about any TV drama series.

Part of the strength of cable dramas is that they have ten to thirteen episode seasons and generally don't run for more than five or six seasons. Meaning they contain less filler and don't suffer such pronounced dips in quality.

Sounds like you just don't care for the slow burn style of plotting.
Ben. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #35
country flag Nr 1 Fan

Nr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by clandis View Post
Season 4 may well be the best.
I've heard that from others as well. I should get started then.

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO
Old 09-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #36
country flag Nr 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat__boy View Post

Part of the strength of cable dramas is that they have ten to thirteen episode seasons and generally don't run for more than five or six seasons. Meaning they contain less filler and don't suffer such pronounced dips in quality.

In the case of The Wire, that's just its strength. For example, the reason the last scene between Avon and Stringer is so powerful, is mostly because you feel like the series has been building towards this point for the last 35 hours , making all the emotions stronger as you know where these guys come from and how it got so far.

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO
Old 09-20-2012, 02:46 PM   #37
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

What? 13 one-hour episodes through five or six seasons is supposed to be compressed footage?

And yes, I don't see these sort of shows as being that praiseworthy.

And no, not all drama series are like that.
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #38
country flag Ben.

Ben. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nr 1 Fan View Post
In the case of The Wire, that's just its strength. For example, the reason the last scene between Avon and Stringer is so powerful, is mostly because you feel like the series has been building towards this point for the last 35 hours , making all the emotions stronger as you know where these guys come from and how it got so far.
Yeah, it gives far more weight to the climaxes, twists, revelations, etc because there are less of them and viewers have invested much more into the show to get to that point.

Compare it with something like Prison Break, which was full of instant gratification, and what a joke it quickly became.
Quote:
What? 13 one-hour episodes through five or six seasons is supposed to be compressed footage?

When compared with 20+ episode seasons, they are far tighter.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #39
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
When compared with 20+ episode seasons, they are far tighter.
What shows have seasons of 20+ one-hour episodes? I can't think of any.
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #40
country flag Lopez

Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute

24? Although they are more like 45-50 mins.

The first two seasons of Lost also had a lot of episodes.
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #41
country flag Ben.

Quote:
No US ones that I can think of.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #42
country flag Smoke944

Smoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

What shows define your standard for praiseworthy?
Smoke944 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:23 PM   #43
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The Killing season 1 had exactly 20, one hour episodes. The Danish version at least, great show, also worth watching.

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:26 PM   #44
country flag Ben.

Steer way clear of the American remake though.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #45
country flag Nr 1 Fan

Something completely else of course but I must say I am enjoying True Blood a lot atm, it's the ideal contraweight for a heavy series like The Wire.

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO