Bad Match Up.. A delusional Fancy term or does it has any truth in it? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Bad Match Up.. A delusional Fancy term or does it has any truth in it?

A Delusional fancy Term Indeed 9 8.74%
It has some truth 92 89.32%
Cannot Say 2 1.94%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
country flag Shinoj

Shinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bad Match Up.. A delusional Fancy term or does it has any truth in it?

As Shown By Federer after Beating Nadal, Where he clearly took the attack to Nadal; taking the Ball early Playing Aggresively all the while and hence beating Nadal.

Does it now show that there was nothing called as Bad match Up for federer against Nadal. It was the same old SLOW COURT same Old Nadal and his game Plan of hitting Looping Balls to federer's Backhand. And Gues what? It somehow didnt work.

What does it show then?

All the while when Federer lost to nadal he purely had a Mental Block which came from losing the previous Match Badly. He said in his quotes also after his victory against Nadal

Quote:

After beating Rafael Nadal in the semifinals of Indian Wells, 16-time Grand Slam champion Roger Federer admits that he hasn’t always been confident against the Spaniard. Nadal leads their head-to-head meetings, 18-10.

"I have had doubts in the past against Rafa," Federer admitted. "It's just normal, I guess. If you get destroyed like in the finals of Paris [in 2008], next time you play him around, which for me unfortunately was the Wimbledon finals, that epic one we had, of course you'll be affected a little bit, even though now you are on your favorite surface potentially. But it did take maybe potentially take me a set or two to shake that off, and then it cost me the match in the end. So sometimes I've gone into matches with Rafa where I knew it was gonna probably difficult because either maybe he's coming in on an incredible hot streak or I'm coming in from an end where I know I probably shouldn't be winning this match tonight just because I'm not feeling right, my game is not up to par. I've maybe come through some other matches against other players, but against Rafa it's a different story."

Federer, who has been fighting a flu at Indian Wells, said he came into their semifinals with a no-lose mentality, which likely aided him. "I didn't expect myself to play so well tonight, and this is sometimes when you can pull off the biggest wins of your career," he said. "That's where I'm happy I gave myself a chance this week."

This was Federer's first victory on an outdoor hard court over Nadal since 2005.

This shows that he clearly was carrying Baggage from his previous matches against Nadal and there was little Truth in the so Called Match Up.

I wanna go ahead and say that. Federer clearly a very talented player,all the while depending on his talent alone was winning over the rest of the Tour. but when faced Nadal he clearly got rattled and never really recovered after that. He himself said that baggage was preventing him from playing at his best and thereby laying to rest the Myth called as

Bad Match Up.
Shinoj is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
country flag Rafa = Fed Killa
POWER...UNLIMITED...POWER

Rafa = Fed Killa has a reputation beyond reputeRafa = Fed Killa has a reputation beyond reputeRafa = Fed Killa has a reputation beyond reputeRafa = Fed Killa has a reputation beyond reputeRafa = Fed Killa has a reputation beyond reputeRafa = Fed Killa has a reputation beyond reputeRafa = Fed Killa has a reputation beyond reputeRafa = Fed Killa has a reputation beyond reputeRafa = Fed Killa has a reputation beyond reputeRafa = Fed Killa has a reputation beyond reputeRafa = Fed Killa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bad Match Up.. A delusional Fancy term or does it has any truth in it?

Delusional term used by people who cant explain why someone they dont like won a tennis match

RIP TENNIS JUNE 7, 2009

Do what must be done.
Do not hesitate.
Show no mercy.
Rafa = Fed Killa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
country flag hipolymer

hipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bad Match Up.. A delusional Fancy term or does it has any truth in it?

Doesn't explain why Rafa beat Fed the first time they ever played and took him to 5 sets the second time they played. bad match ups DO exist.

Pay your respects to the vultures. . . .

Did you know : the famous gangster Al Capone's criminal headquarters was based inside of a hotel

'82 - '91: best decade in tennis
hipolymer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:04 PM   #4
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

The thing is, while Federer is great at attacking all the time, that is NOT his style. Back in his prime he was like a passive-aggressive player. Drawing errors using variety and consistency while attacking at any opportune moment. Against Nadal, he can't take the foot off the gas from either wing which is his problem especially over a best of 5 set match. Sure, he still takes a lot of points off Nadal, but in the long run Nadal is able to chip a few important points here and there.

Of course much of it is mental, but fact is you see how often Nadal hits to Federer's backhand, so it is up to Federer to be mentally strong and be hitting his backhand aggressively enough.

I mean you can't tell me it isn't a match up issue. Just compare the Federer vs. Nadal match up, to the Blake vs. Nadal, Nalbandian vs. Nadal, and Davydenko vs. Nadal. Sure, both Blake and Nalbandian now have losing records against Nadal, but you see why they are so problematic. Blake never lets go off the pedal despite having a one-handed backhand, and both Davydenko and Nalbandian of course have fantastic two-handed backhands to handle Nadal.

Hell, just look at Nadal vs. Djokovic now. Djokovic has always had success against Nadal in general, but until he was fully formed mentally it wasn't that consistent. Now Nadal has lost to Djokovic 7 times in a row, has beaten Federer at the slams, but Federer beats Djokovic at a slam. If that isn't also proof of different match ups, I don't know what is.

Last edited by HKz : 03-18-2012 at 07:12 PM.
HKz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:05 PM   #5
country flag EddieNero

EddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond repute

No, Nadal's heavy high-bounce topspin forehand played to Fed's one-handed backhand doesn't affect him at all.
Rafa's amazing defense and fighting spirit is also a myth.
It's only a pathetic excuse made up by Fedtrolls.
EddieNero is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #6
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa = Fed Killa View Post
Delusional term used by people who cant explain why someone they dont like won a tennis match

affirmative.

it may have more of meaning in team sports like basketball.

it does not apply to tennis at all.
Clay Death is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #7
country flag MaxPower

MaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond repute

Get a grip. Ofc it has truth in it. Just the fact that Mr ToiletBreak is left-handed and delays so much makes him different to play for Federer than most other players. Add to that Rafitos own gameplan of hitting most of his serves and rally shots to Feds weaker side, the BH.

Matchups exist in tennis just like they do in other individual sports like boxing. You adapt to your opponent. It would be foolish to say you could fight the same vs a defensive lefthanded boxer who try to counter you as you could vs a aggressive right handed boxer who goes all out to knock your head off.

But then because this is tennis we should pretend matchups doesn't exist so a miniority of fans could salivate over a certain H2H?
MaxPower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #8
country flag Start da Game
Banned!

Start da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa = Fed Killa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
affirmative.

concurred.....end of story.....
Start da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #9
country flag pray-for-palestine-and-israel

pray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond repute

anyone who doesnt believe there are matchups in tennis is a dickhead quite frankly

tennis 1 0 fucking 1

simple example for tard fans-

someone has a weak passing shot (you have an excellent approach slice and volley but average in all other shots) but is in control of the point and the match- you hit a deep slice and run in from then on- they panic and miss what otherwise would be a bread and butter shot for them- you win the match even though you were outplayed
Old 03-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #10
country flag Arkulari
Faithful Txurigorri

Arkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond repute

Of course it is true, otherwise you cannot explain how great players have negative h2h to others (and I don't mean Federer-Nadal but other examples)

Arkulari is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:17 PM   #11
country flag Start da Game
Banned!

Start da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond repute

good thread by the way.....it has the potential to sky rocket.....
Start da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:17 PM   #12
country flag Dougie

Dougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond repute

Of course match-ups exist. Just because Federer managed to overcome it, find a working gameplan, execute it well and not choke doesnt mean there was never a match-up to begin with. You would have to be blind to not see the unfavorable match-up that Nadal is to Federer.
Dougie is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:20 PM   #13
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
affirmative.

How the hell would a team sport have match ups but an individual sport like tennis where it pits 2 against each other with different styles and tactics not? You gotta be kidding me.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:23 PM   #14
country flag Orka_n

Orka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes I wonder why I post on this forum.

Of course matchups exist, is this a joke? And it's not only in tennis, it is in every sport.
During Nadal vs Kyrgios:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed of Light View Post
Rafa you are my hero I hope I will never live to see the day you start losing matches regularly to mugs like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed of Light View Post
If Rafa loses today, that's it. I'm done with tennis.
Orka_n is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:24 PM   #15
country flag DrJules

DrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond repute

An idea based in fact.

I will expect Nadal to beat Federer most times they play.

I will expect Djokovic to beat Nadal most times they play.

Murray and Federer are both more likely to beat Djokovic than Nadal.

I think match up plays at major part in explaining the above.

Federer 17 GS, 6 Year End Masters, 21 Master Series.
Nadal 14 GS, 0 Year End Masters, 27 Master Series, 1 Olympic Gold.
Djokovic 6 GS, 3 Year End Masters, 19 Master Series.

DrJules is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote