Beautiful places & moments around the world - Page 89 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-14-2012, 09:34 PM   #1321
country flag Punky

Punky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beautiful places & moments around the world

The Richat Structure (Mauritania)
This spectacular landform in Mauritania in the southwestern part of the Sahara desert, called the Richat Structure, is so huge
with a diameter of 30 miles that it is visible from space. The formation was originally thought to be caused by a meteorite impact
but now geologists believe it is a product of uplift and erosion. The cause of its circular shape is still a mystery.

things were created to be used.
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

"יברכך ה' וישמרך,יאר ה' פניו אליך ויחונך,ישא ה' פניו אליך וישם לך שלום"
Punky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 09:38 PM   #1322
country flag Punky

Punky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond repute

Blood Pond Hot Spring (Japan)
Blood Pond Hot Spring is one of the “hells” (jigoku) of Beppu, Japan, nine spectacular natural hot springs that are more for viewing
rather than bathing. The “blood pond hell” features a pond of hot, red water, colored as such by iron in the waters.
It’s allegedly the most photogenic of the nine hells

The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

Old 10-14-2012, 09:46 PM   #1323
country flag Punky

Vale da Lua (Brazil)

Vale da Lua (Moon Valley) is a water eroded rock formation with natural swimming pools, placed on a river in the brazilian cerrado forest.
Located at Chapada, 38 km from Alto Paraíso de Goiás, it’s rock formations are one of the oldest on the planet, made of quartz with outcrops of crystals.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:53 PM   #1324
country flag Punky

In the hot sun of summer, the water of Spotted Lake, located in British Columbia and Washington, evaporates and crystallizes the minerals,
forming many white-rimmed circles: shallow pools that reflect the mineral content of the water in shades of blues and greens.
It contains one of the worlds highest concentrations of minerals: magnesium sulphate (Epsom salts), calcium and sodium sulphates,
plus eight other minerals and traces of four more, including silver and titanium.
The Indians soaked away aches and ailments in the healing mud and waters

Old 10-14-2012, 10:04 PM   #1325
country flag Punky

The giant opencast mines of Rio Tinto create a surreal, almost lunar landscape. Its growth has consumed not only mountains and valleys
but even entire villages, whose populations had to be resettled in specially built towns nearby. Named after the river which flows through
the region-itself named for the reddish streaks that colour its water-Rio Tinto has become a landscape within a landscape.
The river red water is highly acidic (pH 1.7—2.5) and rich in heavy metals.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:12 PM   #1326
country flag Punky

dry valleys antarctica

Antarctica’s Dry Valleys, with their barren gravel-strewn floors, are said to be the most similar place on Earth to Mars. Its fascinating landscape,
located within Victoria Land west of McMurdo Sound, get almost no snowfall, and except for a few steep rocks they are the only continental part
of Antarctica devoid of ice. The terrain looks like something not of this Earth; the valley’s floor occasionally contains a perennially frozen
lake with ice several meters thick. Under the ice, in the extremely salty water, live mysterious simple organisms, a subject of on-going research.

The climate is harsh, hot and dry, and yet – the most amazing plant life thrives there. Situated in the Indian Ocean 250 km from Somalia and 340 km
from Yemen, the wide sandy beaches rise to limestone plateaus full of caves (some 7 kilometers in length) and mountains up to 1525 meters high.
The trees and plants of this island were preserved thru the long geological isolation, some varieties being 20 million years old.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #1327
country flag Punky

This weird place in located in Turkmenistan, where only brave people dare to go. It is an abandoned mine, whose exploitation was held.
There is a big hole, submitting gas, and people decided to set a fire and let the gas burn, but what a surprise – the gas is still burning!
The diameter of the hole is about 70 meters and really resembles the idea of hell. Miners, who in 1971 decided to burn the gas and continue
working in the mine, were thinking that it will be over for some days but now, so many years after, hell’s door is still covered with flames

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=KGHxVW1NbrQ#!

Old 10-15-2012, 07:12 AM   #1328
country flag Roger the Dodger

Roger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond repute

Since we are discussing giant holes, the Lonar Lake in India was in fact created by a meteor hitting the earth more than 12,000 years ago. Wonder what the pagans from that period would have thought when it happened. 'Egad, the sky is falling on our heads! God's wrath etc!'

“What a fate: to be condemned to work for a firm where the slightest negligence at once gave rise to the gravest suspicion! Were all the employees nothing but a bunch of scoundrels, was there not among them one single loyal devoted man who, had he wasted only an hour or so of the firm's time in the morning, was so tormented by conscience as to be driven out of his mind and actually incapable of leaving his bed?”
- G.S; before his inevitable demise
Roger the Dodger is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #1329
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punky View Post
The Richat Structure (Mauritania)
This spectacular landform in Mauritania in the southwestern part of the Sahara desert, called the Richat Structure, is so huge
with a diameter of 30 miles that it is visible from space. The formation was originally thought to be caused by a meteorite impact
but now geologists believe it is a product of uplift and erosion. The cause of its circular shape is still a mystery.

I don't think the shape is a mystery. If you uplift horizontal sedimentary rocks above a point source the different hardnesses of the sedimentary layers will produce circular structures when eroded.
I worked in a gold mine in the Caribbean that formed in one of these ''maar'' structures. The description of the geology in Wikipedia is very similar to the geology at the mine.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:15 PM   #1330
country flag Punky

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
I don't think the shape is a mystery. If you uplift horizontal sedimentary rocks above a point source the different hardnesses of the sedimentary layers will produce circular structures when eroded.
I worked in a gold mine in the Caribbean that formed in one of these ''maar'' structures. The description of the geology in Wikipedia is very similar to the geology at the mine.
My knowledge on the subject is close to zero, I still find it kind of mystery. Either way, it is beautiful.

p.s- thats sound pretty cool but scary

Old 10-15-2012, 09:52 PM   #1331
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
My knowledge on the subject is close to zero, I still find it kind of mystery. Either way, it is beautiful.

p.s- thats sound pretty cool but scary
It was open pit, just like a quarry. Nothing underground. It was the biggest open pit gold mine in the world in its day. And recently it reopened to mine another 34 billion dollars worth of gold!
Old 10-15-2012, 10:06 PM   #1332
country flag Punky

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
It was open pit, just like a quarry. Nothing underground. It was the biggest open pit gold mine in the world in its day. And recently it reopened to mine another 34 billion dollars worth of gold!
wowww thats a lot of dollars

cn u search for a pic?

Old 10-15-2012, 11:38 PM   #1333
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
wowww thats a lot of dollars

cn u search for a pic?
I don't know how to download the pics. www.barrack.com has a video and pics that show the huge scale of the project. When I was there I was fascinated that our office was built right beside some old Spanish ruins. On the website, pics 29 and 30 show they are now doing archaeological work and the ruins are from the time of Columbus. So this may be the source of the very first gold to reach Spain from the New World.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:13 PM   #1334
country flag Punky

Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa

Old 10-16-2012, 05:13 PM   #1335
country flag Punky

St. Beatus Caves, Switzerland