Racquet advice for hard hitting Swede - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-05-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
country flag Bjorn76

Bjorn76 is on a distinguished road
Default Racquet advice for hard hitting Swede

Hi!

I'm looking for advice on a new tennis racquet. I tend to hit the ball too long, way beyond the base line with my current Prince racquet (and yes, I do realise that I can't blame the racquet only).

However, I tried a racquet called Wilson Six one something (90 or 95 sq inches but can't remember the exact model specs) a couple of weeks ago, and I was suprised on how hard it allowed me to hit without exceeding the base line. I liked the feeling it gave, albeit it might have been a bit on the heavy side and rather expensive.

I would like to be able to hit the ball as hard as I'm used to without holding back and without watching the ball hitting the fence every other rally.

Can someone advice on which rackquet(s) to look for and perhaps on which strings and string weight that might be suitable?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers!

AK
Bjorn76 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2012, 01:34 AM   #2
country flag dunlopkickserve

dunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racquet advice for hard hitting Swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn76 View Post
Hi!

I'm looking for advice on a new tennis racquet. I tend to hit the ball too long, way beyond the base line with my current Prince racquet (and yes, I do realise that I can't blame the racquet only).

However, I tried a racquet called Wilson Six one something (90 or 95 sq inches but can't remember the exact model specs) a couple of weeks ago, and I was suprised on how hard it allowed me to hit without exceeding the base line. I liked the feeling it gave, albeit it might have been a bit on the heavy side and rather expensive.

I would like to be able to hit the ball as hard as I'm used to without holding back and without watching the ball hitting the fence every other rally.

Can someone advice on which rackquet(s) to look for and perhaps on which strings and string weight that might be suitable?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers!

AK

My racked (the dunlop aerogel 4d 100) is one of the most control oriented frames on the market it's really under-powered and is much cheaper than anything wilson makes. Check it out. Also look at the yonex RDS 001 which runs about $60.00 on tennis warehouse. Head also has the prestige mid. but that is closer to the wilson price range.
dunlopkickserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:22 AM   #3
country flag Bjorn76

Bjorn76 is on a distinguished road

Hi and thanks for your input!

It certainly looks interesting, but I'm not sure the local racquet centre have this model in stock. From what I've seen they almost exclusively sell Wilson and Babolat racquets.

As I've mentioned I've tried the Wilson Six One. One thing that hit me was that with this racquet I was able to hit the ball without holding back (in terms of power) and still keep it within the court lines. This was actually a big surprise. Maybe this has got something to do with the weight or the weight balance, I don't know.

What I didn't like about this racquet however was that it felt a bit on the heavy side which may cause problems with the elbow in the long run.

I read somewhere that the Dunlop racquet of your recommendation was well suited for one-handed backhand players. I can't tell if this is a fact or just the opinion of a single person, but it sounds as the perfect match as I abandoned the Borg/Wilander-inspired two-handed grip for a one-handed grip a long time ago.
Bjorn76 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:36 AM   #4
country flag dunlopkickserve

dunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn76 View Post
Hi and thanks for your input!

It certainly looks interesting, but I'm not sure the local racquet centre have this model in stock. From what I've seen they almost exclusively sell Wilson and Babolat racquets.

As I've mentioned I've tried the Wilson Six One. One thing that hit me was that with this racquet I was able to hit the ball without holding back (in terms of power) and still keep it within the court lines. This was actually a big surprise. Maybe this has got something to do with the weight or the weight balance, I don't know.

What I didn't like about this racquet however was that it felt a bit on the heavy side which may cause problems with the elbow in the long run.

I read somewhere that the Dunlop racquet of your recommendation was well suited for one-handed backhand players. I can't tell if this is a fact or just the opinion of a single person, but it sounds as the perfect match as I abandoned the Borg/Wilander-inspired two-handed grip for a one-handed grip a long time ago.

I actually have a two hander and use it, but yes it is definitely intended for 1 handers.
dunlopkickserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:48 PM   #5
country flag Erber77

Erber77 is on a distinguished road

Did you choose blx 95? It¨'s a bit heavy, 330g, especially with one hand backhand. I used to play with it, now switched to Babolat Pure Drive, which feels easier to use and still generates pretty nicely power.

With forehand though, I tend to overhit more than before. Maybe a balance thing..? 32 now, Wilson 30,5 balance. When putting 85procent power, it stays in.
Erber77 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote