Can Tsonga turn around his H2H with Djokovic? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Can Tsonga turn around his H2H with Djokovic?

Yes 11 22.00%
No 39 78.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-15-2012, 04:39 PM   #16
country flag Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can Tsonga turn around his H2H with Djokovic?

Are you serious? It's weird how Tsonga is almost never at his best when playing top 4 players. The far more likely conclusion would be that those players are not at their best when Tsonga beats them. But maybe that's too far fetched.
Cereal Killer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #17
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver lining View Post
Are you serious? It's weird how Tsonga is almost never at his best when playing top 4 players. The far more likely conclusion would be that those players are not at their best when Tsonga beats them. But maybe that's too far fetched.
It's not weird at all. If Tsonga had the ability to always be at his best, he'd be in the top 4 himself. As it stands, on average Jo's game is full of holes those players can exploit, namely the worst BH and ROS in the top 10.

The only logical conclusion is that those player's average/normal level is far superior to Tsonga, which is not exactly controversial.

Tsonga is still a matchup neither of them relishes because he can simply blow them off the court on any given day. Performances like vs Nadal at AO 2008 or the last three sets vs Federer at Wimbledon are very rare - if they were the norm, Tsonga would be #1 - but when they do happen there's very little the opponent can do to stop him. On those (rare) days where you can't extract cheap errors off Jo's BH or get tons of free holds due to Jo's horrendous ROS, good luck beating him.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:01 PM   #18

Cereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond repute

Of course it's controversial. You underestimate the top 4 at their best. They could easily blow anyone off the court at any given day. Sadly, it is very rare to see two players play their very best Tennis in the same match.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:12 PM   #19
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Of course it's controversial. You underestimate the top 4 at their best. They could easily blow anyone off the court at any given day. Sadly, it is very rare to see two players play their very best Tennis in the same match.
Federer yes. The other three, though, although great players, don't exactly win big matches by blowing anyone off the court, but on the basis of their consistency, fitness and defense, which to be fair are the most rewarded attributes in today's game/surfaces.

It's impossible to see two players play their very best tennis in the same match. By definition, if one players is playing his best tennis he's not allowing the other to play his.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #20

It has happened before. Maybe not necessarily in slams, but a few matches come to mind. Anyway, good for you that you have so much faith in your players.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:55 PM   #21
country flag Ben D.

Ben D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond repute

He was leading 5-2(!) and now Novak leads 7-5. It means something.
Tsonga can still win on occasions (FO 2012), but Djokovic will win arithmetically, like 3 to 1 during next years. Their career-end H2H should be like : Djokovic 16-8 Tsonga.

I think many Tsonga fans like Lenders try to find rational excuses for Tsongas repeated losses against top 4, this year most especially. Maybe there is only one reason : he is past his prime, and cant match them anymore. Look at Davydenko, Roddick, Nalbandian, who could think they were beating regularily top 4 few years ago

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

1 year, 7 weeks as Top 10 and counting
M T F
Mega-Tsonga-Fandom
don't like Tsonga? move along, it's propaganda here.

Last edited by Ben D. : 09-15-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Ben D. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:58 PM   #22
country flag cmoss

cmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Don't think so. Tsonga can beat Novak for sure, but on an average he has too many weaknesses Novak can exploit.

Disagree. When they're both playing their absolute best tennis, Tsonga is clearly better. Tsonga's 'peak' days are basically the game that took him deep in Slams many times and as high as world #5 + the backhand and return as weapons instead of huge liabilities. There's very little you can do to stop him when he plays like that, as Federer and Nadal discovered on separate occasions.

I think Novak will win most of their matches because on most days he will be able to expose Jo's shit BH and ROS. He's definitely the much better player of the two. Tsonga is simply unpredictable, he can blow Novak (or anyone) off the court on any given day, but can also easily fold meekly. It's a matchup Novak won't relish at all because even though he knows he will win most times, if Tsonga happens to be on one of those rare days where his game is really clicking there's little he can do to stop him.
Yes,when a hard hitter like Tsonga,Rosol... is really ON,he's almost unstoppable.

Roger Federer | Grigor Dimitrov | Dominic Thiem | Nick Kyrgios | Alexander Zverev
cmoss is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #23
country flag Legendary Lopata
Banned!

Legendary Lopata has a reputation beyond reputeLegendary Lopata has a reputation beyond reputeLegendary Lopata has a reputation beyond reputeLegendary Lopata has a reputation beyond reputeLegendary Lopata has a reputation beyond reputeLegendary Lopata has a reputation beyond reputeLegendary Lopata has a reputation beyond reputeLegendary Lopata has a reputation beyond reputeLegendary Lopata has a reputation beyond reputeLegendary Lopata has a reputation beyond reputeLegendary Lopata has a reputation beyond repute

No. Tsonga' receive and 2nd service are horrible now. "New Djokovic" return is too good for Jo's 2nd service. Maybe, if Tso will serve >75% 1st he will has a chance. I guess, tsonga must rebuild his game, in 2012 he has too much troubles with movement speed.
Legendary Lopata is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:27 AM   #24
country flag Sanya

Sanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshift36188 View Post
Consistency wise yes, but when they're both at their best, they are on the same level.
They played both at their best at AO-08, Nole won, but it was close, yes. Still I have a feeling that despite Djokovic`s excellent form that match was on Tso`s racquet and lack of experience cost him a victory.

I miss that Jo, he never played again on that rate.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:15 AM   #25
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Clownga is a mindless ballbashing mug with no RoS and backhand. It's a massive surprise he won as many matches against Djoker as he did.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:23 AM   #26
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Yes he can. The true question is, will he be able to do it?
I still maintain - yes. Wait and see.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:57 AM   #27
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTim View Post
no. Djokovic is on a different level.
Not really, Tsonga has the game that Djokovic dislikes. Big server, can end points quickly and strong at the net. He should still be leading the H2H against Novak, but made some really poor decisions in some of their most recent matches, like that RG match. While Tsonga certainly could pick the H2H back up in his favor, but I think after several heartbreaks against Novak, it has become too mental for him now to perhaps overcome when it matters most.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:31 PM   #28
country flag Sanya

Sanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond repute

If Tsonga is ever going to fulfil it, he should win tomorrow - relatively quick court, he wasn`t tested strongly, but due to it saved energy and on the great run right now.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #29
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

no
Old 10-06-2012, 04:45 PM   #30
country flag yuri27

yuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Murray for instance??
Murray at his very best is not unbeatable whereas players like Federer, Tsonga,Del Potro or even Djoker clearly are
yuri27 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote