Will Fedal win a slam in 2013? - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-15-2012, 03:52 AM   #61
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will Fedal win a slam in 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj100 View Post
Seems he fluked an Olympics Bronze medal too on his worst surface?
No elite player gives a shit about bronze or silver - only gold matters. It's like reaching a slam semi final playing best of 3. Big fucking deal. Djokovic hardly cared during that match + he already has a bronze. See their USO rematch where he made Del-Bashtro look clueless and destroyed him in straights.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2012, 03:57 AM   #62
country flag ssj100

ssj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
No elite player gives a shit about bronze or silver - only gold matters. It's like reaching a slam semi final playing best of 3. Big fucking deal. Djokovic hardly cared during that match + he already has a bronze. See their USO rematch where he made Del-Bashtro look clueless and destroyed him in straights.
I think the Olympics are a bit different though - standing on that podium is for your country, not for yourself (like with Slams etc).

Del Potro appears to have fluked one slam (and I think never will win another one), but it was one heck of a fluke - crushing Nadal in the semis, then beating Federer in a Grand Slam final on "fast" hard courts. This is why his subsequent "wrist injury" is such a good excuse as to his decline since then.

6-2, 6-3, 6-2 and 6-2, 6-2, 6-2 and 6-3, 6-0 (and not even finals).
ssj100 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:58 AM   #63
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Djokovic and Del Potro are both likely to win RG at some point simply because they're the only two players from the post-Nadal who can play great tennis on clay, not to mention the only two who can realistically beat Nadal on the surface if he comes back strong next year.
Del Potro is not favorite in RG even against guys like Ferrer or Almagro.

Djokovic will win RG for sure, though I think it will be in 2014.

Quote:
Tsonga has a chance at Wimbledon especially if it rains heavily during the latter rounds. Indoor grass would be a dream surface for him. His shit backhand and ROS would barely be exposed since he'd able to finish points fast.
He's a ballbasher with weak mental strength and no RoS. He draws a big server in early rounds, he's vulnerable. He draws a good returner, he's vulnerable. He reaches the final, he loses, because you need balls to win a slam, which he lacks. Betting on Clownga to win a slam final is like betting on Federer to beat Nadal in Paris.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:02 AM   #64
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj100 View Post
I think the Olympics are a bit different though - standing on that podium is for your country, not for yourself (like with Slams etc).

Del Potro appears to have fluked one slam (and I think never will win another one), but it was one heck of a fluke - crushing Nadal in the semis, then beating Federer in a Grand Slam final on "fast" hard courts. This is why his subsequent "wrist injury" is such a good excuse as to his decline since then.
people are missing out on context of those wins. Nadal had an abdominal tear, it's a miracle he was in SF in the first place. Noserer got overconfident, served horrendously (50%, 10 doubles), choked multiple times and still almost won. After Delpo returned he failed to win a single match against Nadal or Olderer, in fact Olderer spanked him easily 5-6 times, of course Del Potro tards are full of excuses - only their man can be injured, apparently. A tennis titan like Del Goatro beat 100%, healthy Nadal 2/2/2 after all
Old 09-15-2012, 04:09 AM   #65
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Del Potro is not favorite in RG even against guys like Ferrer or Almagro.

Djokovic will win RG for sure, though I think it will be in 2014.
Ferrer and Almagro ? This is a South American 250 tournament we're talking about. Those two have been around for many years and have a whooping 1 Roland Garros SF between them. Speaking of whooping, Ferrer won a grand total of 5 games in that semi. Del Potro breadsticked Nadal in their last best of 5 clay match in Nadal's home in Spain, despite his poor fitness at the time. Heck, teenager Del Potro back in 2007 outside the top 100 put up a sterner resistance to Nadal at RG than Ferrer. I know you like to troll, but come on: those two can't compare to JMDP on clay (or any other surface).

Agree about Nole though, he should compete his CGS at some point.

Quote:
He's a ballbasher with weak mental strength and no RoS. He draws a big server in early rounds, he's vulnerable. He draws a good returner, he's vulnerable. He reaches the final, he loses, because you need balls to win a slam, which he lacks. Betting on Clownga to win a slam final is like betting on Federer to beat Nadal in Paris.
He has more balls than the rest of the top 10 combined. That is the reason why he's doing so well despite having by far the worst BH in top level tennis and probably the most horrendous ROS the top 10 has ever seen. His problems have nothing to do with his mentality/balls and everything to do with technical weaknesses in his game; he always goes for it regardless of opponent and venue, balls he does not lack.

Quote:
people are missing out on context of those wins. Nadal had an abdominal tear, it's a miracle he was in SF in the first place. Noserer got overconfident, served horrendously (50%, 10 doubles), choked multiple times and still almost won. After Delpo returned he failed to win a single match against Nadal or Olderer, in fact Olderer spanked him easily 5-6 times, of course Del Potro tards are full of excuses - only their man can be injured, apparently. A tennis titan like Del Goatro beat 100%, healthy Nadal 2/2/2 after all
Has there been any other top player going through surgery recently?
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:20 AM   #66
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Boredo definitely has the worst ROS of any recent top 10. Amount of times a big server has served him off court I cannot count.

So much so he once complained about Karlovic's serve
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:27 AM   #67
Banned!

Quote:
Ferrer and Almagro ? This is a South American 250 tournament we're talking about. Those two have been around for many years and have a whooping 1 Roland Garros SF between them. Speaking of whooping, Ferrer won a grand total of 5 games in that semi. Del Potro breadsticked Nadal in their last best of 5 clay match in Nadal's home in Spain, despite his poor fitness at the time. Heck, teenager Del Potro back in 2007 outside the top 100 put up a sterner resistance to Nadal at RG than Ferrer. I know you like to troll, but come on: those two can't compare to JMDP on clay (or any other surface).
5-2 H2H, including win on clay in DC and a severe beating in slam this year. Sorry, but anyone with consistent game and fitness can beat him on clay and grass. You can argue the point, but even if he beats Ferrer, can he grind through several guys like Nole and Nadal on clay? No fucking way. Lightning doesn't strike twice in one place and stars are not aligning for him to ballbash to another title, I am sorry. His clay game is pathetic, he just goes for it like all or nothing clown - sure he can breadstick Nadal. Can he beat him in best of 5 in Paris? Feel free to bet your life savings on it.

Quote:
He has more balls than the rest of the top 10 combined. That is the reason why he's doing so well despite having by far the worst BH in top level tennis and probably the most horrendous ROS the top 10 has ever seen. His problems have nothing to do with his mentality/balls and everything to do with technical weaknesses in his game; he always goes for it regardless of opponent and venue, balls he does not lack.
One slam final in his career, in his late 20's now. Doing well indeed. Wait, are we talking about actual slam contenders here or guys that can reach QF/SF at most?

Quote:
Has there been any other top player going through surgery recently?
He had more than enough time to recover. LEt him win masters first then we can talk about slam contention, I mean at least his shitty fitness shouldn't be an issue in best of 3 format, correct?
Old 09-15-2012, 01:50 PM   #68
country flag Roy Emerson

Roy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/mo...icle-1.1153878
Roy Emerson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #69
country flag Marcoo

Marcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond repute

I hope he'll be winning Slams as long as he can
Marcoo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:11 PM   #70
country flag Roy Emerson

Roy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Del Potro for FO.
Del Potro does not have the stamina and endurance to win the FO. IF he ever wins a slam again it will be a HC slam.

Quote:
Murray/Tsonga/Berdych for Wimbledon
I don't think Tsonga is slam winning material. Has he ever beaten top 4 players back to back anywhere? Berdych has done that at Wimbledon 2010.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #71
country flag Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond repute

Tsonga beat both Nadal and Murray at the AO in 2008, but that wasn't back-to-back. He ran into Murray in the first round and then beat Nadal in the semis.
Cereal Killer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:45 PM   #72
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Emerson View Post
Del Potro does not have the stamina and endurance to win the FO. IF he ever wins a slam again it will be a HC slam.
This is a myth, Del Potro doesn't have any problems with long matches since early 2009. He just recently played a grueling longest 3 setter ever vs Federer in OG and then proceeded to beat Nole in the next match showing no signs of fatigue.

Besides, endurance is much less of a factor on clay than on those very slow, bone crushing hardcourts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Emerson View Post
I don't think Tsonga is slam winning material. Has he ever beaten top 4 players back to back anywhere? Berdych has done that at Wimbledon 2010.
There's a first time for everything. Berdych had also never done it before he actually did it. Not to mention there's a (slim) chance a draw could open up for him in that respect like it did for Murray, who is now a Slam champion without ever having beaten top 3 players back to back at a Slam.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #73

Cereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is his seeding. If there are no upsets he has to beat 3 of them back-to-back in order to win. And even if his draw opens up, because one of them loses in an earlier round he would still have to win two matches against top 4 players. And that is assuming he gets that far, which is not a given either as recently demonstrated. The same goes for Berdych, Del Potro and Ferrer as well.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #74
country flag Roy Emerson

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver lining View Post
Tsonga beat both Nadal and Murray at the AO in 2008, but that wasn't back-to-back. He ran into Murray in the first round and then beat Nadal in the semis.
Murray was not top 4 in January 2008.

Quote:
This is a myth, Del Potro doesn't have any problems with long matches since early 2009. He just recently played a grueling longest 3 setter ever vs Federer in OG and then proceeded to beat Nole in the next match showing no signs of fatigue.

Besides, endurance is much less of a factor on clay than on those very slow, bone crushing hardcourts.

There's a first time for everything. Berdych had also never done it before he actually did it. Not to mention there's a (slim) chance a draw could open up for him in that respect like it did for Murray, who is now a Slam champion without ever having beaten top 3 players back to back at a Slam.
Can't see Del Potro winning a slam outside HC. He may not even win a slam again. This is a tough era. I could see Berdych winning a slam someday. Del Potro again as well. Tsonga? Nah.

Slams are not for everyone these days. Look how long it took Murray. We are not in 2002 anymore, an era where it was easier for the Johansson's of the world to win a slam.

Last edited by Roy Emerson : 09-15-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:55 PM   #75

Andy was number #9 back then.

Berdych is 27 (will be in 2 days). When exactly is someday?