With the slowing of the surfaces and mega defense, should modern players volley more? - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-11-2012, 03:25 AM   #31
country flag brithater

brithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What a great match!!! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMarc View Post
Luckily tennis is going that direction. I cant understand why people want these "only serve" guys like Isner in the top.

Wait for a couple of raonic - isner 5-set matches and see if u still want these guys up at the top, when in 3 hours of tennis u see about 5 or 6 rallies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sham Kay View Post
Andy and Nole are the best players out there on hard courts currently. Today's match was a great one, and the rallies were a cause of the conditions aligned with their superior movement and defence.

Don't get the complaints. If I hadn't kept falling off the edge of my seat and having chest pains during the forth set, I'd have been severely entertained.
So whats your point? They are the two greatest Hardcourt players? I guess your right but doesnt that kind of support my view on this. If these two are the greatest hardcourt players then what does that show?

As far as the conditions......thats a really lousy arguement...wind is wind. It doesnt change anything. Accually if its windy they should be moving forward more to take court away. Rafter won the open in 98 and it was way more windy then today and he was still coming in all the time. I remember he played Bjorkman in the early rounds and was serving around 70mph while serve and volleying. My point is wind is wind.

I will say this for you players out there though. When its windy get your tail to the net as much as possible. The last thing you want to do is hit 20 ball rallies in the wind. The next to last thing you want to do in the wind is hit passing shots. Little tip for you young guys
brithater is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012, 03:30 AM   #32
country flag Tag

Tag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: With the slowing of the surfaces and mega defense, should modern players volley m

djokovic is a lost cause when it comes to volleying. he should continue to dictate with the forehand

murray, however, he can benefit a lot more from coming in.

if he upped his first serve% by taking a few miles off (go for 120-125mph with spin rather than 130~mph flat) and came in more often, he'd save himself a lot of silly bother

if he fine tunes his game, it'll adapt perfectly to grass
Tag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:54 AM   #33
country flag cmoss

cmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: With the slowing of the surfaces and mega defense, should modern players volley m

They should speed up the courts in Wimbledon and US open a lot more,AO and RG are ok.Two slow and two fast tournaments.

Roger Federer | Grigor Dimitrov | Dominic Thiem | Nick Kyrgios
cmoss is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:56 AM   #34
country flag Tag

Tag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoss View Post
They should speed up the courts in Wimbledon and US open a lot more,AO and RG are ok.Two slow and two fast tournaments.
RG needs slowed down mate

they sped the wrong slams up, and slowed the wrong ones down
Old 09-11-2012, 03:56 AM   #35
country flag Pirata.
the pirate queen.

Pirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOFH View Post
How many long rallies were there where the other guy was blasting away from the baseline and the othe is getting to everything bc of the surface and putting up floaty defensive slices? That crap makes me sick.
Seriously

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:18 AM   #36
country flag Zenjo

Zenjo has a reputation beyond reputeZenjo has a reputation beyond reputeZenjo has a reputation beyond reputeZenjo has a reputation beyond reputeZenjo has a reputation beyond reputeZenjo has a reputation beyond reputeZenjo has a reputation beyond reputeZenjo has a reputation beyond reputeZenjo has a reputation beyond reputeZenjo has a reputation beyond reputeZenjo has a reputation beyond repute

Let's go back to the golden era of Ivaniservic vs Krajicek - Longest rally 7 shots.
Zenjo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:22 AM   #37
country flag Topspindoctor

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

I believe so. Since Johnny Groove is "top 100 material" according to his coach, I can't wait till gets there and unleashes volley hell upon unsuspecting mugs like Olderer, Nadal and Djokovic, winning at least 10 slams in process. Who knows, maybe in 10 years or so MTF will be having discussions such as "Peak Johnny Groove vs No2e, 2008 Nadal and 2006 Olderer"

Nadal - GOAT
Sergiy Stakhovsky - Great purger of evil and talented shotmaker
Berdych aka Twitter GOAT - Nose destroyer

2004-2007 = weakest tennis era
2011 = dark age of tennis

2008/2010/2013 = Greatest years of tennis.
Topspindoctor is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:23 AM   #38
country flag NameNumber

NameNumber is on a distinguished road

I really don't understand people who judge the quality of the rally by the number of shots played. I'd always rather watch winning tennis than endless cross court topspin endurance runs.
NameNumber is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:25 AM   #39
country flag brithater

brithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenjo View Post
Let's go back to the golden era of Ivaniservic vs Krajicek - Longest rally 7 shots.
This is what I am talking about. Krajicek serve and volleyed you dope. What do you expect? Serve and volley then run back to the baseline and fit forehand slices until the opponent misses?

OOOOOOHHHHHHHH look....they play just as good as the ladies!!!

Just having some fun with you mate.
brithater is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:29 AM   #40
country flag Tag

Quote:
obviously never watched krajicek play

man could serve, volley and rally when necessary

only man to beat sampras at wimbledon in 8 years, says it all. would've won a 2nd slam if he hadn't been so injury prone

you're missing the point anyway; you put ivanisevic and sampras on this slowed down, high bouncing grass, you'd still get an ace fest

the point is that serving, volleying and attacking all-court tennis is not rewarded by the surfaces that should rightly favour it
Old 09-11-2012, 04:41 AM   #41
country flag Pirata.
the pirate queen.

Pirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You don't have to go back to one extreme, a happy medium would suffice

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #42
country flag Tenn1sAdd1ct

Tenn1sAdd1ct has a reputation beyond reputeTenn1sAdd1ct has a reputation beyond reputeTenn1sAdd1ct has a reputation beyond reputeTenn1sAdd1ct has a reputation beyond reputeTenn1sAdd1ct has a reputation beyond reputeTenn1sAdd1ct has a reputation beyond reputeTenn1sAdd1ct has a reputation beyond reputeTenn1sAdd1ct has a reputation beyond reputeTenn1sAdd1ct has a reputation beyond reputeTenn1sAdd1ct has a reputation beyond reputeTenn1sAdd1ct has a reputation beyond repute

No need to volley more. Only Djokovic has to improve his pathetic fitness. I want to see 7 hr rematch at AO.
Tenn1sAdd1ct is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #43
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the OP. Developing a net game to cut off rallies before getting exhausted is the logical next step in the evolution of the modern player.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:16 AM   #44
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Groove, you forgot to mention Federer's brilliant net play in that Wimbledon final. It made all the difference in the world. Murray was not much better (if not worse) at the passing shots yesterday, so Djokovic could have taken advantage if he knew how to volley.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #45
country flag Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophocles View Post
I agree with the OP. Developing a net game to cut off rallies before getting exhausted is the logical next step in the evolution of the modern player.
rallies over 30 shots on a non-clay court should result in the game being instantly abandoned, with both players being fined and forced to attend a volley camp with edberg and sampras

this would certainly force players to volley and learn all court craft