Kevin Anderson: An Open Letter Regarding My Decision Not to Play Davis Cup - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-15-2012, 12:51 AM   #1
country flag shotgun

shotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kevin Anderson: An Open Letter Regarding My Decision Not to Play Davis Cup

http://kevinandersontennis.blogspot....-decision.html

Quote:
Firstly, I would like to wish team SA the best of luck this weekend. It is unfortunate that it will not be played in South Africa, but nevertheless I know the boys will play their hearts out. I will certainly be following their progress and supporting them all the way.

There has been talk and speculation as to why I am not playing this tie against Canada in the news and on social media. At first, I thought it was better to stay quiet. Some people understand my decisions, others don't – that’s life. I appreciate the support and can understand fair criticism. However, as is often the case with the media, facts get misrepresented. I do not think forming opinions which are based on inaccurate information is fair or beneficial. Additionally, I've heard statements that are not only incorrect but also out of touch with the reality of professional tennis. For these reasons, I felt it was necessary to set the record straight.

Playing professional tennis is a very demanding profession. It differs to most other sports in terms of its individuality and global reach. The season is all year round, it is played in all parts of the world and is increasingly competitive. Yet I wouldn't change what I do for the world. It's my job, and one that I love doing.

In order to keep improving and be successful there are a few factors to consider. Besides motivation and hard work, one needs to find a way to stay healthy. I have learned that this requires proper tournament scheduling and rest periods. Another major factor is having a strong support team. Due to the success I have experienced so far, I can finally afford to employ a full time coach and physiotherapist. However, as one can imagine this is very expensive. At a minimum this type of setup costs a player $250,000 a year (R2,000,000 at the current exchange rate).

I have funded my entire career on my own. I find myself in a tricky position in attracting sponsors when I am a South African living mainly in the United States, so I have to rely heavily on prize money which is never guaranteed. Having both a coach and a physio travel with me is a huge financial burden. The prize money for someone with my ranking is not as much as you might expect when compared to the costs of life on tour; it is certainly not comparable to the earnings of Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, etc. Tennis South Africa (TSA) has never provided financial support or funding to help cover the costs of playing on the tour.

In 2011 I played Davis Cup because it was financially attractive to do so; I was able to cover my expenses during the Davis Cup week and also the opportunity cost of adjusting my tournament schedule. However for this tie against Canada, TSA was not able to provide the support that justified me sacrificing my schedule and increasing my risk of injury. If I am injured during Davis Cup play, which happened last year, I receive no support, assistance or insurance from anybody. I am on my own. I told TSA during Wimbledon that the compensation for the tie needed to be sufficient to address the issues at hand. I was available to the play the tie against Canada if TSA had made me an offer that addressed my concerns. However, they did not.

Critics insinuate that the honor of playing for one's country should necessitate a player to compete in Davis Cup ties, regardless of what financial incentives are (or are not) being offered. Of course playing for my country is a massive incentive to play, but I would be foolish not to weigh the consequences as well.

I would also like to clarify my participation in the World Team Tennis (WTT) finals this week. My decision to play WTT finals came months after my choice not to play Davis Cup. About a month ago, I was asked if I wanted to compete in the finals of the WTT, which happens to take place the same weekend as the Canadian Davis Cup tie. The physical demands of WTT (which consists of a first to 5 games singles and doubles match) cannot be compared to a Davis Cup tie (which potentially involves 3 different 5 set matches over 3 days). Anybody who suggests otherwise clearly does not know the facts. It has been suggested in the press and by Davis Cup captain JL de Jager that I fabricated an injury to excuse myself from Davis Cup, while having the intention of playing WTT all along. Not only is this completely untrue and unrepresentative of the facts, but it is also impossible given that the WTT team I will play for had not qualified for the finals until early August.

Finally, I think it is important to point out that I am not the only player who has voiced concerns about the physical and scheduling demands of the Davis Cup. There have been a lot of discussions about possible ways to change the Davis Cup format. It is ridiculous that in addition to the already demanding tour schedule, there are on average 3 Davis Cup ties a year. It is common for top players to make themselves unavailable to play Davis Cup, including Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray. I would like nothing more than to see a new Davis Cup format that would make it easier for all our best players to compete.

At the end of the day, I believe that I have to look out for my own career and my family’s future. My whole life I have made countless sacrifices in order to be the best athlete I can be. Unfortunately, sometimes that means making tough decisions, especially when it comes to Davis Cup. I am a proud South African and I don’t believe I have to prove this by sacrificial Davis Cup participation, 3 times a year. I proudly represent South Africa every time I step out onto the court; I fundamentally believe that South African representation at ATP, WTA and Grand Slam events is just as important for tennis in South Africa as the Davis Cup.

Definitely a rationally backed decision, but it shows he doesn't have the extra motivation for Davis Cup that many players do.
shotgun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2012, 12:58 AM   #2
country flag tennisfan856

tennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kevin Anderson: An Open Letter Regarding My Decision Not to Play Davis Cup

i hope this receives some press. Kevin is a sensible, fair man.
tennisfan856 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:03 AM   #3
country flag Freak3yman84

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kevin Anderson: An Open Letter Regarding My Decision Not to Play Davis Cup

I don't blame him to be honest. But at the same time, there are lower ranked players on team SA that made the trip out to Canada. And assuming they make less than Anderson, then that means they're risking a lot more than him, no?

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but four

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul) W Cordenons (w/dinkulpus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Freak3yman84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:09 AM   #4
country flag alter ego

alter ego has a reputation beyond reputealter ego has a reputation beyond reputealter ego has a reputation beyond reputealter ego has a reputation beyond reputealter ego has a reputation beyond reputealter ego has a reputation beyond reputealter ego has a reputation beyond reputealter ego has a reputation beyond reputealter ego has a reputation beyond reputealter ego has a reputation beyond reputealter ego has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak3yman84 View Post
I don't blame him to be honest. But at the same time, there are lower ranked players on team SA that made the trip out to Canada. And assuming they make less than Anderson, then that means they're risking a lot more than him, no?
No! those lower ranked players see the Davis Cup as a huge chance to get some awarness and as a consequencea a SA sponsor. Anderson is in another league than them.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:16 AM   #5
country flag Freak3yman84

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alter ego View Post
No! those lower ranked players see the Davis Cup as a huge chance to get some awarness and as a consequencea a SA sponsor. Anderson is in another league than them.
Yeah... I kind of brushed over that

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but four

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul) W Cordenons (w/dinkulpus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Freak3yman84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:43 AM   #6
country flag Frooty_Bazooty

Frooty_Bazooty has a reputation beyond reputeFrooty_Bazooty has a reputation beyond reputeFrooty_Bazooty has a reputation beyond reputeFrooty_Bazooty has a reputation beyond reputeFrooty_Bazooty has a reputation beyond reputeFrooty_Bazooty has a reputation beyond reputeFrooty_Bazooty has a reputation beyond reputeFrooty_Bazooty has a reputation beyond reputeFrooty_Bazooty has a reputation beyond reputeFrooty_Bazooty has a reputation beyond reputeFrooty_Bazooty has a reputation beyond repute

Hes completely right - thats a great letter
Year end no. 1 in 2012

PAW Titles : 9 (WIMBLEDON '12, Washington '11, Acapulco '08, Stockholm '07, Houston '05, Monte Carlo TMS '04, Newport '04, Beijing '04, Moscow '04)
Finalist: 15 (Buenos Aires '12, Stockholm '11, Barcelona '11, Queen's 09, Nottingham '08, Las Vegas '08, Adelaide '08, Tokyo '06, St Poelten '06, Australian Open '05, St Poelten '05, Newport '05, Wimbledon '04, Houston '04, Basel '04)
Frooty_Bazooty is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:37 AM   #7
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

Tennis players can use rational arguments with facts and well-argued points to explain their decisions, while tennis federations usually just resort to hyperbole and drama to guilt/shame the players into playing DC. Even when the player has demonstrated their "patriotic loyalty" dozens of times, they will still pull out that old "playing for love of country" card and act like it invalidates everything else and everything the player has done in the past.

Good on you, Kevin.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:22 AM   #8
country flag vojomocart

vojomocart has a reputation beyond reputevojomocart has a reputation beyond reputevojomocart has a reputation beyond reputevojomocart has a reputation beyond reputevojomocart has a reputation beyond reputevojomocart has a reputation beyond reputevojomocart has a reputation beyond reputevojomocart has a reputation beyond reputevojomocart has a reputation beyond reputevojomocart has a reputation beyond reputevojomocart has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely understandable, and my opinion quite good explanation of the decision.
Kevin is wise man.....
vojomocart is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:55 AM   #9
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_YYZ View Post
Tennis players can use rational arguments with facts and well-argued points to explain their decisions, while tennis federations usually just resort to hyperbole and drama to guilt/shame the players into playing DC. Even when the player has demonstrated their "patriotic loyalty" dozens of times, they will still pull out that old "playing for love of country" card and act like it invalidates everything else and everything the player has done in the past.

Good on you, Kevin.
Exactly.

Even without the fact that he got injured last year and didn't get any support, this would be a rational decision.
Spending time with your children and not being a wage slave at some soulless corporation or government bureaucracy sounds like hell. Haven't we progressed beyond the idea that it is in loving relationships with other people that we find fulfillment and meaning? Climbing the corporate ladder is essential in the pursuit of happiness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
Match Point Novak needs to be immortalized in sculpture, like Michelangelo's David. I'm sure that once he's gone to tennis Valhalla, his statue will have his stones as the focal point of attention, and tennis fans will make a meccan-like pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime, in order to rub those lucky stones, like the budda's belly.
finishingmove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #10
country flag duarte_a
Federer Fan & Dull Hater

duarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond repute

Totally understandble decision. Especially given that he injured himself last year while playing davis cup and the TSA gave him no compensation.

This kinda of reminds me of the football (soccer to my american friends) that play for their countries and get injured while doing so. Many times the clubs that own the player ask for compensation.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:04 AM   #11
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

Honest and fair. Great stuff Kevin.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:29 AM   #12
country flag Pratik

Pratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond repute

Completely understandable. It's nice that he actually bothered to explain his point of view in so much detail
Pratik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #13
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Well done.

Just another instance of a national tennis federation trying to bully a player, and good on Anderson for punching back
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #14
country flag SaFed2005

SaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_YYZ View Post

Good on you, Kevin.
Absolutely agree with you here!
SaFed2005 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:47 PM   #15
country flag Roamed

Roamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond repute

Great stuff from Kevin
Will Federer regain the #1 spot and break Sampras's record for most weeks at the top?

Roger // Rafa // Raonic // Söderling // Goffin // Ivo // Wawrinka // Baker // Delpo
Roamed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote