Nick Kyrgios - Yes He Canberra - Page 66 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-17-2014, 04:08 AM   #976
Dmitry Verdasco

Dmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nick Kyrgios - Yes He Canberra

Condolences to the family.

NADAL - TURSUNOV - BOLELLI - NALBANDIAN - MATOSEVIC
HINGIS - DEMENTIEVA - DOKIC - KOURNIKOVA - PIERCE - GOLOVIN - RADWANSKA - BENCIC - BARTHEL

Dmitry Verdasco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2014, 08:37 AM   #977
country flag Sombrerero loco

Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute

i wouldnt like talking much about his personal stuff guys...but yeah, so sorry his grandma passed away, be strong, nick and his family

Jerzy Janowicz/Bernard the aTomic /Thanasi Kokkinakis/Kei Nishikori

John Millman / Javier Martí/Taro Daniel-Jules Marie-Josh Milton

Henkka Kontinen
-Nick Kyrgios-Henri Laaksonen- Attila Balazs- Pierre Hugues Herbert-Alex Bolt-Marcus Willis-Kristijan Mesaros-Brydan Klein-Chris Rungkat-Piotr Gadomski-Hugo Nys-Pol Toledo
www.tennisalternative.com
Sombrerero loco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:36 AM   #978
country flag Kateoz

Kateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nick Kyrgios schedule

Does anyone know what tournaments is proposing to play for the rest of the year? It would be nice to see him angling to pick up his first title...

At the moment he is listed as playing qualifying for Toronto and Cincinnati, plus of course USO.

Likely Davis Cup in September.

And I think I read his mother suggesting the Malaysian Open as a possibility?

Anything else known???

Unfortunately his website is totally out of date (even on coaches!).
Kateoz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:24 AM   #979
country flag n8

n8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nick Kyrgios schedule

I don't know.

But Nick I see as someone who will centre his schedule around big events (anti-vulture if you will). He initially was planning to play Atlanta and Washington, but now his ranking has shot up he's shooting for Canada and Cincinnati. That said, I guess he will play Kuala Lumpur due to his heritage. Davis Cup is a lock.

I would also love to see him angling for a title, but I just don't see that as his priority. I don't know him of course, but that's going off his previous playing history (and his tendency to peak for bigger events). I think he would rather a quarter/semi at a M1000 than an ATP250 title despite similar ranking points and prize money (but again, just a guess). Where are you Christos?
n8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:08 AM   #980
country flag Kateoz

Kateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond repute

Yes he has certainly done that to date, but now he is in the top ranking group, he is surely going to have to play a few more matches to maintain and improve his ranking I would have thought.

In particular, a fair number of his points are off challengers wins which he will not really want to play in, will need to build a base to replace those points. And pretty much only the very top 5 (and not even all of them!) can maintain their ranking on the basis of M1000 and slams plus the minimum no 500s; on the face of it, everyone else plays quite a lot more, expecting some misses.

If he can get quarters/semis at M1000 on a regular basis of course, less of an issue, but you couldn't count on being that consistent yet I wouldn't have thought!

Also given the need for him to last out to the end of a slam, I would have thought more tournaments including some doubles would be an obvious next step (though there is a balance of course with the risk of injury/not overdoing it for someone still growing).
Old 07-23-2014, 12:26 PM   #981
country flag RustyOz

RustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond repute

I think your last sentence is very relevant. Don't over-extend a growing body, not yet 100% mature body. Choose your schedule very carefully Nick.

Last edited by RustyOz : 07-23-2014 at 09:02 PM.
RustyOz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:03 PM   #982
country flag Kateoz

Yes indeed, careful balance to be juggled.

Still, on the face of it M1000s are the toughest possible way of trying to earn points given the cut, and the hardest to advance in, while 250s/500s provide an easier path and a way to build match experience.

At some point fairly soon a chunk of his schedule is going to be pretty much dictated by his ranking (he's already at 37 on the race, though whether he stays there obviously depends how he goes in this next run); best to build experience while free to do so on the face of it!

Anyway, I guess we'll just have to wait and see what his plans are...
Old 07-24-2014, 08:57 AM   #983
country flag xkyrgios

xkyrgios has a reputation beyond reputexkyrgios has a reputation beyond reputexkyrgios has a reputation beyond reputexkyrgios has a reputation beyond reputexkyrgios has a reputation beyond reputexkyrgios has a reputation beyond reputexkyrgios has a reputation beyond reputexkyrgios has a reputation beyond reputexkyrgios has a reputation beyond reputexkyrgios has a reputation beyond reputexkyrgios has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kateoz View Post
Yes indeed, careful balance to be juggled.

Still, on the face of it M1000s are the toughest possible way of trying to earn points given the cut, and the hardest to advance in, while 250s/500s provide an easier path and a way to build match experience.

At some point fairly soon a chunk of his schedule is going to be pretty much dictated by his ranking (he's already at 37 on the race, though whether he stays there obviously depends how he goes in this next run); best to build experience while free to do so on the face of it!

Anyway, I guess we'll just have to wait and see what his plans are...
Hey guys what would you like to know?
Old 07-24-2014, 09:41 AM   #984
country flag Chris.

Chris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkyrgios View Post
Hey guys what would you like to know?
What tournaments does Nick have planned for after the U.S Open?
Chris. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:11 PM   #985
country flag Kateoz

Default Nick Kyrgios media coverage

There have been a few nice media pieces over the last few weeks on Nick's coming to grips with newfound fame, and renewed focus on training. Don't know if anyone noticed that 'bored in Bundoora' tweet, but today's Canberra Times has a nice follow up on it by Linda Pearce:

It was almost 7pm last Wednesday in Melbourne’s northern suburbs and Nick Kyrgios was restless. “Anyone wanna chill in bundoora tonight? # bored” tweeted the teenaged toast of Wimbledon and conqueror of 14-time major champion Rafael Nadal to his 72,800 global followers.

Someone did. Someone named Tim, a student at nearby La Trobe University, who quickly rustled up a group of his mates. Within a few minutes, the 21-year-olds were stunned when the world’s most exciting young tennis player and his friend and training partner Harry Bourchier arrived at their door.

And Kyrgios said, what, exactly? "Yeah, hey, I'm Nick, what's goin' on?'' he recalled with a laugh during a wonderfully frank interview with Fairfax Media on Friday at Melbourne Park. “They couldn't believe it. They were just standing there, and I was like 'you can just act normal.’
“We just talked, and then played a couple of games, just normal stuff. They asked me a lot of questions about Lleyton [Hewitt] and how the top guys were and that sort of stuff, so they were really eager to just find out what Wimbledon was like.

“But then I pretty much just said 'can we just stop talking about this stuff? Let's just talk about normal stuff. I'm just a 19-year-old kid, I don't really want to talk about all that other stuff’.’’ Normal stuff being, like? ‘’Just literally like cards, just literally normal stuff. You know, not much.''

Kyrgios and Bourchier stayed for about 90 minutes. “It was pretty cool. They actually came here yesterday and watched me practise, so I think we've got like, a new friendship sorta going on.'' They will be at the Australian Open, too; a new, and well, like, random fan club has just been formed.

If there are shades of the New York party invitation issued by Pat Rafter’s brother, Peter, to the Aussie backpackers who had driven to Flushing Meadows to see the Queenslander win his first US Open in 1997, in what was the genesis of the “Fanatics” fan club, then not since Rafter has Australian tennis welcomed a new tennis talent with such irresistible star power.

So open and engaging is Kyrgios that he bears precious little resemblance to the over-managed robots who populate so much of the sporting world while just taking it one week/match/yawn at a time. He is as he plays: free, natural, without inhibition.

The main memory of his outrageous surge to the Wimbledon quarter-finals: "Um, probably going to Chipotle Mexican grill every night with my friends and family. Every. Single. Day,’’ he grins. Not shaking hands with the world No.1 after you crushed him on centre court? "Nuh. Just Chipotle. It's the best place in the world.''

Canberra, though, is home, and it was there to his Malaysian mother Nill, Greek father George and lawyer brother Christos that Kyrgios retreated once Canadian Milos Raonic ended his extraordinary debut at the All England Club in four sets, the fuel gauge having teetered close to empty during his third best-of-five-set match in as many days.

There would, he thought, be a low-key welcome in the national capital, then some time to relax with his mates, shoot some hoops, play on his beloved X-Box. Some of that occurred; some did not.

"I was expecting just to come home to quiet Canberra and just chill out for a week, but it was nothing like that at all, which I was actually quite disappointed with, really,’’ he admits. “I got to the airport and there were about 800 people there, cameras everywhere, so it was pretty full-on. And even when I was at home, I was getting ... not to say pestered ... but it was pretty full-on.'' Translation: there were strangers knocking on his door, more demands and intrusions than he had wanted.

Indeed, the recognition has been the biggest change to a life that he has acknowledged will never be the same again. Last week, after training, Kyrgios was photographed wearing his signature pink headphones waiting for the tram outside Melbourne Park. Resolution one: never take public transport again.

The 19-year-old admits that despite the fact his phone had been “blowing up” with the volume of messages, he almost needed to return to Australia to fully realise the impact he had made. “In Canberra it was really crazy, but even in Melbourne it's pretty full-on.

“I can't really go anywhere without being noticed, so that's probably the biggest difference,'’ he adds, before considering whether that is a good or bad thing. “It can be a bit of both. I don't really mind it too much. I get to meet some new people and I'm only young, so I really enjoy that sort of stuff.

“It’s been positive support. [People are] really happy for me, I've been told numerous times that I did them proud and all that sort of stuff, so it's good. But I've been brought down to earth just coming down here and getting back to the hard work.

“Your dream is to win Wimbledon, win a grand slam one day and become No.1 in the world, so I'm not even close at all, I made quarter-finals, and it's all good, it's just motivation to keep getting better. That's that way I've looked at it.''
But perhaps not that far away. Not nearly as far as it was. One of the images on the home page of his official website juxtaposes photos of an anguished Nadal with a bellowing Kyrgios, and another records their handshake at the net, while the scale of the monster breakthrough is illustrated elsewhere on nickkyrgios.org.

In the achievements section, he is, yes, the "1st wildcard in 10 yrs to make Qtr finals; 1st player ranked outside top 100 to defeat a no.1 at a grand slam since Andrei Olhovskiy beat Jimmy(sic) Courier at Wimbledon in the 3rd round in 1992''. Scroll down further, though, and you will see that it was not so long ago he was also "Winner – Taralgon (sic) Grade 1 ITF''.

And now, here he is, preparing to depart for the US hardcourt circuit, with a bullet beside his name as a player to watch, having already been on the front page of the International New York Times and hailed by all who watched the Nadal slaying, two rounds after saving nine match points against Richard Gasquet.

Now battling a cold, after a heavy training bloc, the achievement has finally sunk in, but Kyrgios keeps the fourth-round match on his ever-present mobile phone, and admits he has watched it over and over. “It was a really good two weeks and I'm just reflecting on it, you know, it's something that's not going to go away quickly at all.
"When you get a bit sad or lonely, just watch it. It's just good for confidence and when you're sitting around just analyse how you played, and all that sort of stuff. I don’t go looking on YouTube and watching myself play, but when I just want something to do it's always an option.'' And that outrageous between-the-legs winner? "Yeah,’’ he beams. “That's pretty cool.’’

That, and more like it, have also been making more frequent appearances on the practice court of late. "Yeah, the boys have noticed that I'm going for more trick shots and stuff now, and they're starting to, as well. But it's just good to keep it fun out there. That's why you play the sport in the first place.''

Yet perhaps it is his hunger to reach the pinnacle, combined with the belief that he will get there, that is even more significant. Kyrgios took only a few days post-Wimbledon rest from practice, because he knew he had to, before resuming with his reinstated junior coach Todd Larkham – who replaced the unfortunate Simon Rea – because he wanted to. The motivation for Kyrgios was that he could not bear the thought of wasting time he could be using to keep improving.
Next stop is Toronto, then Cincinnati, for what at this stage will be the qualifying rounds of the Masters 100 double, then a training week before the US Open, his favourite grand slam, and the loudest, most chaotic and in-your-face of the Big Four. Which suits Kyrgios perfectly. Of course it does.

The expectations now will be far greater, he acknowledges, but not a burden, for he knows what is possible, having recently managed what even his beloved mother had doubted was achievable so soon. He expects to perform, and hopes to make another big impact, a world ranking of 65th having earned him direct main draw entry at a grand slam for the first time.

Meanwhile, back in Bundoora, a dozen or so La Trobe uni students are sure to be watching, having spent a cold Wednesday night getting to know the young man who just wanted a few new mates to “chill with’’, while getting used to his own status as the hottest young property in the game. As Nick Kyrgios might ask: “What’s goin’ on?’’ So far, there's an awful lot to like about the answer.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/n...#ixzz38WaazgIa
Old 07-25-2014, 11:17 PM   #986
country flag Kateoz

Default Re: Nick Kyrgios media coverage

And a nice "I"m not Tomic or..." piece by Richard Hinds in the Courier Mail:

Quote:
WITH the polite but slightly weary manner of man who has been in high demand, Nick Kyrgios answers the questions that could decide whether a honeymoon with the Australian public becomes a lifelong romance.

No he hasn’t bought a Ferrari. In fact he doesn’t own a car and borrows one when he is home in Canberra.

Yes he has a new coach. But it’s not his dad or some browbeaten hitting partner employed to carry the luggage.

After an amicable parting from his coach of 18 months Simon Rea, Kyrgios will be mentored by former Australian tour pro Josh Eagle on the road and Canberra-based Todd Larkham at home.

Yes the Kyrgios family will continue to travel with him. But as companions to a sometimes travel sick son, not omnipresent stage door parents second-guessing the moves of his support staff.

Yes Kyrgios’s passion can sometimes turn to rage — but he’s working on it. “When I was a junior I was all over the shop mentally and showed way too much emotion, I still do it. But I’m getting better all the time.’’

As Kyrgios prepares to build on his dizzying Wimbledon, these might seem pointed observations. But they provide clues to the question many Australians asked as the 19 year-old made his thrilling way to the quarter-finals.

A question that stems from the Philippoussis-Hewitt-Dokic-Tomic era when vast achievement was often overshadowed by an array of on and off-court problems.

So as Kyrgios tore up the Wimbledon turf, we wondered: Is he, well, “normal’’? Or as normal as young man with a cannon on his shoulder, an NBA leap, an astonishing array of trick shots and the nerve to beat the world No.1 on his sport’s biggest stage can be.

‘’I’m as normal as it gets,’’ says Kyrgios. ”Off the court I just like hanging out, playing basketball on any court I can find, listening to music. I like to catch public transport. I like to do things that normal people do.’’As Kyrgios talks about indulging himself with an evening ‘’mucking about’’ with friends in Canberra or a meal on the road with fellow gourmand Marinko Matosevic, his words ring true. He seems genuinely humbled that a barber this week insisted on cutting his hair for free.

“I think I’m smart enough to know it’s just a tennis match,’’ he says of his win over Rafael Nadal. “Obviously it’s a great achievement but there is such a long way to go. Look at what Roger Federer has done and look like what I’ve done and you can’t compare the two. I’ve just got to stay grounded and stay motivated and hopefully one day have those same accolades.’’

Kyrgios believes he has the right people around him.

His new coaches are well respected, his brother Christos provides good counsel and parents George and Nill — something of a media star herself during his Wimbledon run — are supportive, not intrusive.

‘’I think when times get tough it’s important to have people to call on that you know definitely care about you,’’ says Kyrgios. ‘’But they’re really good in knowing what part to play.’’

Rafael Nadal struck a note of caution after losing to Kyrgios suggesting it was sometimes easy for a carefree teenager to win, much harder to back it up. Some interpreted the Spaniard’s words as sour grapes. But from the mouth of a one who knows the potential pitfalls of early success better than most they provided priceless perspective.

“I think he was spot on with everything he said,’’ says Kyrgios. ‘’He said it was only one match and I’ve got a long way to go. I learned a lot from what he said definitely. I played one of the best matches of my life on grass, his worst surface, even if he’s won Wimbledon twice.’’

Kyrgios is working in Melbourne to strengthen a still callow body before he leaving next week for tournaments in Toronto and Cincinnati as a lead-up to the US Open. The runs up a nearby hill and extra court sessions are intended to ensure he can cope better with grand slam tournaments, and the rivals now gunning for him.

‘’(Wimbledon) will definitely give them motivation to beat me,’’ says Kyrgios. ‘’I know there is a bit more focus and bit more expectation on me now.’’

As it is Kyrgios seems set to fulfil the expectation the public has of him. To be an ordinary person capable of extraordinary tennis.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:40 AM   #987

Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute

i think we should ask for a subforum for nick next time...

Henkka Kontinen
-Nick Kyrgios-Henri Laaksonen- Attila Balazs- Pierre Hugues Herbert-Alex Bolt-Marcus Willis-Kristijan Mesaros-Brydan Klein-Chris Rungkat-Piotr Gadomski-Hugo Nys-Pol Toledo
Old 07-26-2014, 12:46 AM   #988

Default Re: Nick Kyrgios media coverage

he is really down to earth, despite what his haters say...

Henkka Kontinen
Old 07-26-2014, 01:10 AM   #989
Dmitry Verdasco

Dmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond repute

Nope.

NADAL - TURSUNOV - BOLELLI - NALBANDIAN - MATOSEVIC
HINGIS - DEMENTIEVA - DOKIC - KOURNIKOVA - PIERCE - GOLOVIN - RADWANSKA - BENCIC - BARTHEL

Dmitry Verdasco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:41 AM   #990
country flag Kateoz

What's wrong with you Dmitry, of course he should get a forum. Made his mark, and should be recognised for it.

But apparently we have to wait until they have a forum creating thread, which may not happen for some time.