Newcombe medal nominations - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Today, 04:27 AM   #1
country flag Kateoz

Kateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Newcombe medal nominations

Quote:
Australia’s top ranked tennis players, Samantha Stosur and Lleyton Hewitt, alongside the resurgent Casey Dellacqua and rising star Nick Kyrgios, have been named finalists for this year’s Newcombe Medal.

The highest honour in Australian tennis will be presented to the most outstanding player of the season at a special awards ceremony to be held in Melbourne on Monday 24 November.

Tennis Australia CEO Craig Tiley said the event would celebrate all levels of achievement within the tennis community.

“As well as recognising Australia’s most outstanding tennis player, the awards celebrate the exceptional accomplishments and contributions of tennis communities, coaches, clubs and schools around the country,” he said.

The 2014 finalists were today honoured to learn of their nomination for the sport’s top gong.

“It’s fantastic to be nominated for the Newcombe Medal again,” said Stosur.

“The Newcombe Medal is a great night to not only recognise the players’ results, but for the whole tennis family to come together.”

Said Hewitt: “It’s always a huge honour to be nominated for this award and to be recognised for the effort you put in all season. I was really proud to win the Newcombe Medal last year and it was a great moment to have Newk present the medal.

“Newk is someone I‘ve always looked up to, we shared a lot of great experiences when he was Davis Cup captain, including our win in 1999, and I’ve been fortunate to learn a lot from him and to consider him a friend and mentor throughout my career.”

“It’s a great honour to be nominated as one of the finalists for the Newcombe Medal,” Dellacqua said.

It’s always a great night with all the current and past Australian players together in one room, and I’m looking forward to getting to Melbourne next month. Since the award was introduced in 2010 it has been highly regarded by the Australian players, particularly since Newk was such an icon of the game.”

Said Kyrgios: “I’m really excited to be nominated for the Newcombe Medal, it’s been a huge year for me and this really caps it off.

“The previous winners, Sam and Lleyton, are stars of Australian tennis and it’s amazing to be in their company. I’m really proud of what I’ve been able to achieve this year and I’m already looking forward to 2015 and hopefully another big season ahead.”

The Newcombe Medal, Australian Tennis Awards will be held at Crown Palladium, Melbourne on Monday 24 November.

The full list of finalists is as follows:

Newcombe Medal
Finalists: Casey Dellacqua (Perth, WA), Lleyton Hewitt (Adelaide, SA), Nick Kyrgios (Canberra, ACT), Samantha Stosur (Gold Coast, Qld)

Junior Athlete of the Year – Female
Finalists: Destanee Aiava (Narre Warren, Vic), Kimberly Birrell (Hope Island, Qld), Seone Mendez (Baulkham Hills, NSW)

Junior Athlete of the Year – Male
Finalists: Alex de Minaur (Rhodes, NSW), Omar Jasika (Clarinda, Vic), Thanasi Kokkinakis (North Adelaide, SA)....

Source: TA
Can't say these nominations make a lot of sense to me on the face of it - Stosur's surely had a pretty crap year on the whole, and why Hewitt?

Kyrgios makes some sense (no titles or anything, but beating No1 even if half a doz others have now also managed it; QF at W).

But then why has Groth missed out? After all, he actually had a SF run at RG in doubles, collected 5 challenger titles, one tour level plus three tour level finals and also made it into singles top 100! Can only presume its because he is not a member of the TA club:

"The Newcombe Medal is awarded to Australia’s most outstanding elite tennis player for the year. Nominees for the award are selected by an esteemed panel of Australian champions and highly respected individuals in the tennis community. The award is named in honour of the achievements of Australian tennis legend John Newcombe. The Newcombe Medal is a closed award. Nominations and the award recipient are selected by a panel appointed by Tennis Australia."

Last edited by Kateoz : Today at 06:17 AM.
Kateoz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Today, 07:11 AM   #2
country flag Ausie

Ausie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newcombe medal nominations

Hewitt Aussie #1, he wins 2 titles (Federer & Karlovic) and he came to the club 30. He wins 600 matches for the career, and updated his record in Davis Cup, but I think that Casey this year will get.

Lleyton Hewitt

Gael Monfils - Aleksandr Dolgopolov - Juan Martin Del Potro - Nick Kyrgios - Jason Kubler - Serhiy Stakhovsky - Gianni Mina - Martin Klizan - Benjamin Mitchell - Borna Coric - Francis Tiafoe - Noah Rubin
Ausie is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:41 AM   #3
country flag Kateoz

Kateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hewitt Aussie #1, he wins 2 titles (Federer & Karlovic) and he came to the club 30. He wins 600 matches for the career, and updated his record in Davis Cup, but I think that Casey this year will get.
No 1 only because Kyrgios hasn't played back end of season; Stosur had two titles last year yet they gave it to Hewitt who had none...Not sure what you been by club 30?

Actually I think the relative claims of Kyrgios and Dellacqua are pretty hard to weigh up - neither have won titles, both jumped the rankings big time. In terms of slams, Kyrgios: 2R, 1R, QF, 3R and beats world no 1 in process. Dellacqua 4;2;2;4.

Dellacqua is ranked higher and has done more in doubles (two QFs), but not evident that doubles counts for anything on this front! The women made the Fed cup SF though, whereas men had to escape relegation so that might get her over the line.

What about the juniors? Seems like a hard one too - Thanasi has made such a big jump in rankings and won five top 100 matches, but I'm thinking that junior GS double probably counts a lot. But I've never even heard of de Minaur!
Old Today, 08:12 AM   #4
country flag Ausie

Ausie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kateoz View Post
No 1 only because Kyrgios hasn't played back end of season; Stosur had two titles last year yet they gave it to Hewitt who had none...Not sure what you been by club 30?
Club 30 it's the 30 titles for career. I apologize but after DC, Nick played 1 tournament, Hewitt after DC withdraw from 3 tournament's and the end season. I'm sure Nick will be recognized as the best young player. Newcombe medal will be a choice between Lleyton and Casey.

Lleyton Hewitt

Gael Monfils - Aleksandr Dolgopolov - Juan Martin Del Potro - Nick Kyrgios - Jason Kubler - Serhiy Stakhovsky - Gianni Mina - Martin Klizan - Benjamin Mitchell - Borna Coric - Francis Tiafoe - Noah Rubin
Old Today, 09:07 AM   #5
country flag Kateoz

Quote:
Club 30 it's the 30 titles for career. I apologize but after DC, Nick played 1 tournament, Hewitt after DC withdraw from 3 tournament's and the end season. I'm sure Nick will be recognized as the best young player. Newcombe medal will be a choice between Lleyton and Casey.
Nick hasn't been in nominated in the junior category so that's not an option!

Nothing between him and Hewitt rankings wise (15 points!).

On the face of it Hewitt got it last year as a kind of career recognition thing (Stosur's claims were probably stronger at least in terms of Slams, titles won etc) so though ticked over a few more milestones not sure that should really make a huge difference.

And Hewitt didn't get any significant DC wins on the face of it - in fact Kyrgios' win against Istomin was the crucial one, and Kyrgios has two singles wins in DC this yr, Hewitt only 1.
Old Today, 09:50 AM   #6
country flag Ausie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kateoz View Post
Nick hasn't been in nominated in the junior category so that's not an option!

Nothing between him and Hewitt rankings wise (15 points!).

On the face of it Hewitt got it last year as a kind of career recognition thing (Stosur's claims were probably stronger at least in terms of Slams, titles won etc) so though ticked over a few more milestones not sure that should really make a huge difference.

And Hewitt didn't get any significant DC wins on the face of it - in fact Kyrgios' win against Istomin was the crucial one, and Kyrgios has two singles wins in DC this yr, Hewitt only 1.
It the fans' arguments. Younger players in Australia loves more, than those who are close to sunset, it is even seen if read Australian newspapers. 15 years ago in the same way compared Hewitt-Rafter. For you, maybe it matters who gets the medal, but for me no. You support all australian tennis, I only one person. Do you understand me?

Lleyton Hewitt