Ideas for the Australian summer and beyond - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Yesterday, 02:15 AM   #1
country flag Consigliere

Consigliere has a reputation beyond reputeConsigliere has a reputation beyond reputeConsigliere has a reputation beyond reputeConsigliere has a reputation beyond reputeConsigliere has a reputation beyond reputeConsigliere has a reputation beyond reputeConsigliere has a reputation beyond reputeConsigliere has a reputation beyond reputeConsigliere has a reputation beyond reputeConsigliere has a reputation beyond reputeConsigliere has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ideas for the Australian summer and beyond

Here are my ideas for the Aussie summer and a few other ideas. I think we should try and get as many players competing in the December events as possible.

Optus 16s:
- Male and Female winners become official back-up players for the Hopman Cup.
- Possibly stream the finals
Optus 18s:
- Get rid. Usually the top eligible players aren't competing in this competition anyway. I think the wildcard playoff should simply become a bigger draw.
Wildcard playoff:
- Revert back to best-of-three sets. What player wants to play best of five in the December heat.
- Bigger draw. 28.
- Multiple wildcards to be won. Two for the MD of the Australian Open and the winner could win a wildcard for the tournaments in the first two weeks of the summer plus the proposed CHs after the GS.
Hopman Cup:
- Have a captain/legend travel with each team. They can sit courtside and be mic'd throughout the matches. Could be fun.
- Sell a live streaming package on the website.
Sydney International:
- Try and get this tournament to become a 500. This might be hard to make happen, maybe the Auckland one might have to be as well. But as it remains now at 250 it will always be the forgotten tournament. Perhaps eventually a three week buildup to the Australian Open would be needed to make this a bigger event.
Kooyong Classic:
- Get rid. Nobody cares about this anymore, it's not taken seriously. Kooyong should be converted into an all grass complex and become Australia's official home court for all Davis Cup ties. No more converting local clubs into stadiums with temporary stands.
125K CH:
- This should take place in the second week of the Australian Open. Probably at Memorial Drive or Royal Pines (somewhere where there is a built stadium court). Staging the tournament during the second week of the grand slam will ensure some overseas players stay and the tournament will be strong.
- Try and get the semi's and finals televised on ABC or SBS.
Mini grass tour:
100k CH:
- To be staged at Kooyong. Australian's play attacking tennis and we appreciate this by having our own mini-grass swing.
- Televise final perhaps.
Followed by -
15K F at Mildura on grass:
15K F at ? on grass:

Occasional home Davis Cup tie at Wimbledon:
- It is too far/sometimes cold for the players to travel back home in September. There are many expats living in London and we saw this on display at the 2001 final between Ivanisevic and Rafter. You could stage any September ties there and expect alot of Australians to attend and it would be a good atmosphere.

Indoor facility in Sydney and tournaments:
- People underestimate how cold it gets in the Sydney winter. I think it would be good if Australia's biggest city had it's own indoor facility. You could also have a couple of weaker 80K CHs there in the middle of the year. Have a 4-5 week indoor swing in NSW actually. I think we should strive to be self-sustainable and to have our virtually year long own tour here like the US where players mostly just play in their own country.
Consigliere is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 03:01 AM   #2
country flag RustyOz

RustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ideas for the Australian summer and beyond

Optus 16s:- U16 players not strong enough, too weak to be back-ups at Top Level imo;
- Yes stream the finals
Optus 18s:
- Yes, get rid. ITF for over 16's so no need for National U18. WC playoff should simply become a bigger draw - Yes
Wildcard playoff:- Revert back to best-of-three sets. Qualifying is easier at 3-sets, why bother with playing in the WC play-off
- Bigger draw. 28 - only if 3 sets.
- Multiple wildcards to be won. Yes - into AO qualies perhaps for lesser ranked players.
Hopman Cup:- Not a fan of ex-players inane comments and bored looks.
- Watching on ABC ok with me.
Sydney International:
- Try and get this tournament to become a 500. Need to make this a bigger event to attract the non-hardcore tennis public
Kooyong Classic:
- Get rid. Yes. Grasscourt facility for DC - not a fan, like to spread DC around Oz a bit - in bigger centres
125K CH:
- This should take place in the second week of the Australian Open - maybe. Have just seen all the international players play in earlier tournaments and Oz Open. Need to keep some "local" points for the Aussie players to progress. More of AO money/profit put into local events - a definite YES.
- Try and get the semi's and finals televised on ABC or SBS.
Mini grass tour:
100k CH:
- To be staged at Kooyong. I'm ok with this
- Televise final perhaps.
Followed by -
15K F at Mildura on grass - Make them Challangers if possible
15K F at ? on grass:

Occasional home Davis Cup tie at Wimbledon:
- Will not promote tennis in Australia.

Last edited by RustyOz : Yesterday at 03:03 AM.
RustyOz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote