US hard court swing... - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-22-2015, 10:54 AM   #1
country flag Kateoz

Kateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default US hard court swing...

The USO season starts next week with Atlanta, and the USO entry list should be out very soon, so I thought it might be nice to have a thread for it.

Here are the players programs so far as available entry lists go:

Week of 27 July

Lexington Challenger

MD: Millman, Saville [wc: Jasika]

Atlanta 250

MD: Groth
Q: Matosevic, Smith, Ebden

Week of 3 August

Washington 500

MD: Tomic, Groth, Duckworth
Q: Ebden, Millman, Matosevic

Week of 10 August

Aptos challenger

MD: Millman, Ebden

Montreal Masters (10-16 Aug)

MD: Tomic, Kyrgios
Qualifying: Kokkinakis, Duckworth alt 12: Matosevic

Week of 16 August

Vancouver Challenger

Millman, Ebden, Smith; Alt 6 - Matosevic

Cinncinati Masters

MD: Tomic, Kyrgios
Q: Kokkinakis; alt 4 - Duckworth

Week of 23 August

Winston-Salem 250

MD: Groth, Kokkinakis

Week of 31 August

[u]USO[/U}

MD: Tomic, Kyrgios, Groth, Kokkinakis, Duckworth, Millman

Last edited by Kateoz : Today at 08:26 AM.
Kateoz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2015, 11:00 AM   #2
country flag scotthongkong

scotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US hard court swing...

Marinko Matosevic no where to be seen.........
scotthongkong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:09 AM   #3
country flag Kateoz

Kateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthongkong View Post
He is way down the alts lists for some of these events so I suppose could play qualies for the 250s at least...

Wonder why Groth isn't playing Montreal?
Old 07-22-2015, 11:40 AM   #4
country flag Arsenalex

Arsenalex has a reputation beyond reputeArsenalex has a reputation beyond reputeArsenalex has a reputation beyond reputeArsenalex has a reputation beyond reputeArsenalex has a reputation beyond reputeArsenalex has a reputation beyond reputeArsenalex has a reputation beyond reputeArsenalex has a reputation beyond reputeArsenalex has a reputation beyond reputeArsenalex has a reputation beyond reputeArsenalex has a reputation beyond repute

Groth seems to be giving the masters a miss... He wouldn't have got too far, but should have at least tried

Best improvement June - Lee D.H

TT Doubles: 191 (High 191) Partner - Ertl93
Best results - W: Poznan CH (Ertl93) F: Ilkley CH (EddyDoubleD) SF: Seoul CH (Gerzaher) Marburg CH (jervisjames)

MTF Football Tipping! For fans of both sports: Football Tipping Main Thread & Rules
EPL: Week #1
Arsenalex is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:57 AM   #5
country flag Kateoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenalex View Post
Groth seems to be giving the masters a miss... He wouldn't have got too far, but should have at least tried
Not an entirely silly strategy I guess. Field is effectively tougher than a slam, and play one and the score is automatically counted in your ranking even if you don't win a match. So avoiding them allows inclusion of more lower ranked tournaments...
Old 07-22-2015, 12:28 PM   #6
country flag TalkonTennis

TalkonTennis has a reputation beyond reputeTalkonTennis has a reputation beyond reputeTalkonTennis has a reputation beyond reputeTalkonTennis has a reputation beyond reputeTalkonTennis has a reputation beyond reputeTalkonTennis has a reputation beyond reputeTalkonTennis has a reputation beyond reputeTalkonTennis has a reputation beyond reputeTalkonTennis has a reputation beyond reputeTalkonTennis has a reputation beyond reputeTalkonTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Believe it or not, Marinko is actually the first alternate for the Washington DC qualies. Millman is down to play these, but obviously will have to skip if he goes deep at Lexington - so even though Matosevic has been in horrendous form for months, he could have one last chance to start turning things around.

Quote:
I think that's exactly why he's scheduled around them! Very similarly to how he skirted the clay season, and that actually worked very well for him. Given that Grothy's schedule reads Davis Cup / Bogota / Atlanta / Washington DC and then Winston-Salem / US Open, it's certainly not unreasonable for him to schedule a rest and/or training block in the middle of it.

It's been a while since an Aussie has made a big splash during this part of season (although Matosevic has traditionally done quite well here). As for goals for each of our main players I'd like to see:

-Tomic to try and put his demons behind him and record positive results in both the 250s and the Masters
-Kyrgios, much the same. Whether he likes it or not, he must start turning up consistently on tour and giving as much effort as he can
-Groth to use not playing in the Masters to really make a push towards the Top 50. He's not defending anything other than 2nd round points at USO, so it is possible
-Kokkinakis to continue his progress, especially now that outside of Masters he rarely has to qualify anymore
-Duckworth to...play, really! He has literally only played Wimbledon since Roland Garros, which won't help his cause of staying in the Top 100 at all...
-Millman to stick with the Challengers and just pick up as many points as possible leading into his inaugural US Open.

Elsewhere, Ebden and Smith to try and continue their charge towards single digits...Saville to make the most of not defending a point for months...and maybe Omar Jasika backing up his excellent efforts at the USO last year with a showy WC somewhere.
TalkonTennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:50 PM   #7
country flag Kateoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkonTennis View Post

As for goals for each of our main players I'd like to see:

-Tomic to try and put his demons behind him and record positive results in both the 250s and the Masters
Let's see how he goes at Bogota - I have a bad feeling about the next couple of months...

Quote:
-Kyrgios, much the same. Whether he likes it or not, he must start turning up consistently on tour and giving as much effort as he can
Yes if he wants to improve, needs actual match practice. Again though, I'm not optimistic about a turnaround any time soon.

Quote:
-Groth to use not playing in the Masters to really make a push towards the Top 50. He's not defending anything other than 2nd round points at USO, so it is possible
Would be great to see him consolidate and build on strong grass season, needs to get some top 50 wins on hard. Wonder if he plans to defend his Washington doubles final points?

Quote:
-Kokkinakis to continue his progress, especially now that outside of Masters he rarely has to qualify anymore
I want to see Kokk make top 50 on this run and think its very doable. Had a crap grass season for various reasons, but no reason why he can't go deep in one or two tournaments on this run. Has 53 points to defend before USO though.

Quote:
...and maybe Omar Jasika backing up his excellent efforts at the USO last year with a showy WC somewhere.
Would be nice if he could make progress towards top 200 - around 70 points off!
Old 07-22-2015, 09:40 PM   #8
country flag Kateoz

USO md out- cutoff 99 so Millman officially in.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:31 AM   #9
country flag Kateoz

Just for interest, points from the American hardcourt swing last year (includes Bogota, Canada). Note that doesn't mean players have to defend all of these - some have already dropped out or been displaced by better results in rankings.

Does however point to some challenges for some players in particular (ie Matosevic, Tomic).

American hard court swing 2014 - ranking points accumulated

Tomic 385
Matosevic 161
Kyrgios 135
Kokkinakis 132
Hewitt 110
Groth 69
Ebden 61
Saville 17
Old 07-25-2015, 03:11 AM   #10
azza

azza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond repute

Atlanta 250

Quallies

Q2 (7) Marinko Matosevic Vs Andrew Carter/Matias Castro
Q2 (5) JP Smith Vs Jared Donaldson/Gasatao Elias
Q2 (4) Matt Ebden Vs Reily Opelka/Shuichi Sekiguchi

MD

R1 Sam Groth Vs ?
Old 07-25-2015, 03:46 AM   #11
country flag Kateoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by azza View Post
Atlanta 250...
JP looks to have the hardest path.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:56 PM   #12
country flag millmania

millmania has a reputation beyond reputemillmania has a reputation beyond reputemillmania has a reputation beyond reputemillmania has a reputation beyond reputemillmania has a reputation beyond reputemillmania has a reputation beyond reputemillmania has a reputation beyond reputemillmania has a reputation beyond reputemillmania has a reputation beyond reputemillmania has a reputation beyond reputemillmania has a reputation beyond repute

Ebden-Devvarman in QR3 (assuming they both get there) is going to be the ultimate pushfest.

Let's see whether Marinko can find some form - otherwise he's going to be doing a 2014 Ebden and end up ranked in the 300s.
millmania is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:07 AM   #13
country flag Kateoz

Player schedule updated - Kokkinakis and Duckworth (alt) have opted for Cinny qualifying; Millman, Ebden and Smith for the Vancouver challenger.

Matovsevic is an alt for the Challenger as well...

Personally I was kind of hoping Kokk would vulture some points in Vancouver instead of playing Cinny, but I guess a leopard doesn't change its spots (maybe we could have another airport fire?!).
Old 07-29-2015, 11:18 AM   #14
azza

azza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond repute

Marinko playing a challenger? Oh no precious has to drop down a tier
Old 07-29-2015, 11:23 AM   #15
country flag Kateoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by azza View Post
Marinko playing a challenger? Oh no precious has to drop down a tier
His ranking has already dropped so low that he is sixth alternate on the Vancouver challenger list...